Sign in to follow this  
Big Guy

Porcupine Tree.....help out a newbie

I've heard of Porcupine Tree for years, as well as around here but never gave them much thought until I discovered Steven Wilson last week on Spotify. I'm now a fan of his and want to hear what albums / songs some of you might like.

I absolutely love this song as well as a dozen more....

I'm currently discovering "The Incident" album

also.....anybody know anything about "Badger Bush" or "Skunkweed" ? :P

• Like 1

Saw two porcupines focking a tree one time. It's a delicate, but noisy, affair.

• Like 1

all things prickly

try this

is that a band russ? ;) (haha, finally got to use it in a sentence)

How does this video pertain to PT?

yea its a band, I dont like PT but i like american football and I could see a semi reliability between them

ok, thanks .....i'll check them out :thumbsup:

Don't know what a porcupine tree is...but it sure the hell ain't no hambush. :mellow:

• Like 1

Pretty much their entire discography is good IMHO. Hard to say which one is "best", as they are all a bit different, but if you want a good starting point try "Fear of a Blank Planet".

Edit: Here's the title track...

If you like Lazarus, you'll probably like Trains from "In Absentia":

Definitely one of my favorites. If you pay attention you'll notice that several PT/SW songs include train references.

Female porcupines are twice the size of their male counterparts. And you can't throw them in flour and go for the wet spot. I'm a male porcupine.

Friend is a big Porcupine Tree fan. Followed them on a US tour a few years back to the point that in the middle of the set they'd look down and ask "alright Mike, what's the next song?"

• Like 1

Fock. I should probably stop, but here's another song from "Fear of a Blank Planet".

Live version from the excellent "Anesthesize" live album:

Pretty much their entire discography is good IMHO. Hard to say which one is "best", as they are all a bit different, but if you want a good starting point try "Fear of a Blank Planet".

Edit: Here's the title track...

I like it, don't love it.......yet.

It's a bit dark, maybe not in the right mood.

try this

Never heard but I kinda like these guys. Just something haunting about them that sticks in my head. I'm sure you've already heard it but I'm listening to their newest album.

Don't know what a porcupine tree is...but it sure the hell ain't no hambush. :mellow:

Beat me too it.

Never heard but I kinda like these guys. Just something haunting about them that sticks in my head. I'm sure you've already heard it but I'm listening to their newest album.

Gave a listen to first couple songs. :thumbsup: Will listen to more tomorrow. Thanks for the tip. Hadn't heard of them before.

New album had too much of a country feel for me. They are not a band I love or anything just somebody I remember from college that OP may have liked

Fock. I should probably stop, but here's another song from "Fear of a Blank Planet".

Live version from the excellent "Anesthesize" live album:

WOW, I frickin' love this!.......good to see them live, thank you! :thumbsup:

I'm a HUGE fan of both PT and now solo Steven Wilson,was fortunate enough to see PT live twice and most recently SW on his current tour.Other than Anesthetize one of my top 5 here are a few more band and solo that I listen to quite frequently.

Warning this one is very dark,about a woman who lost her husband and two kids in a school shooting

A few more to follow

• Like 1

Last one but make sure to watch Gavin Harrison on the drum kit,dude is incredible

I thought about linking Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, but decided I needed to stop. So many good songs.

Edit: quote with link doesn't seem to work from phone...

I'm a HUGE fan of both PT and now solo Steven Wilson,was fortunate enough to see PT live twice and most recently SW on his current tour.Other than Anesthetize one of my top 5 here are a few more band and solo that I listen to quite frequently.

A few more to follow

Good to hear......man I love that one too, and so many more I've heard today. Right now I'm thinking that Steven Wilson is this generations Jeff Lynne. Right now too many songs to comment on, glad I jumped in. :thumbsup:

Where did you see them by the way?

Good to her......man I love that one too, and so many more I've heard today. Right now I'm thinking that Steven Wilson is this generations Jeff Lynne. Right now too many songs to comment on, glad I jumped in. :thumbsup:

Where did you see them by the way?

Saw PT in KC and Chicago and saw SW just this last November in KC,his tickets were only like $45 and he did close to a 4 hour show.Performed the entire new album,older stuff and even five PT songs.It was also in a small theater so it was incredible,I took three 20 something aged folks with me who had never heard of him/them and they were :headbanger:

• Like 1

Saw PT in KC and Chicago and saw SW just this last November in KC,his tickets were only like $45 and he did close to a 4 hour show.Performed the entire new album,older stuff and even five PT songs.It was also in a small theater so it was incredible,I took three 20 something aged folks with me who had never heard of him/them and they were :headbanger:

Nice, but I just gotta say :shocking: to "tickets were only like $45"...that would be $20 more than I'd pay for any concert. :lol:

I'm digging this song today....

Worst band name ever? :dunno:

I've heard it before and always assumed it was some sort of gimmick or parody band. <_<

Maybe I was influenced by the bacon tree/hambush joke. :unsure:

They're like Radiohead though? :huh:

Guess I should at least listen to one song. :dunno:

Worst band name ever? :dunno:

I've heard it before and always assumed it was some sort of gimmick or parody band. <_<

Maybe I was influenced by the bacon tree/hambush joke. :unsure:

They're like Radiohead though? :huh:

Guess I should at least listen to one song. :dunno:

all good points, especially the one in red

If i remember correctly the name actually did start out as reference to a fake band. When SW and collaborators started recording music they decided to use it.

Edit: here's what I was thinking of from Wikipedia...

Porcupine Tree originated in 1987 as a collaborative hoax project by Steven Wilson and Malcolm Stocks. Partially inspired by the psychedelic/progressive bands of the 1970s, such as Pink Floyd, that had dominated the music scene during their youth, the two decided to form a fictional legendary rock band named The Porcupine Tree. The two fabricated a detailed back-story including information on alleged band members and album titles, as well as a "colourful" history which purportedly included events such as a meeting at a 1970s rock festival and several trips in and out of prison. As soon as he had put aside enough money to buy his own studio equipment, Wilson obliged this creation with several hours of music to provide "evidence" of its existence.[6]

If you're looking for other proggy bands to get into then I highly recommend Haken. Can't post youtube links on my phone, but they're worth checking out. Their most recent release "Affinity" is exceptional. The track "1985" pays reference to the synth/guitar sounds from that time period. Sounds cheesy but it really works.

• Like 1

If you're looking for other proggy bands to get into then I highly recommend Haken. Can't post youtube links on my phone, but they're worth checking out. Their most recent release "Affinity" is exceptional. The track "1985" pays reference to the synth/guitar sounds from that time period. Sounds cheesy but it really works.

I only know one song, and it's a strange one......The Cockroach King" or something like that. I found it entertaining, but have only heard it once.

Hey, do you know of a prog band with a similar name to "Brother" or "Other"......something along those lines? I really liked them a few years back but can't remember.

I only know one song, and it's a strange one......The Cockroach King" or something like that. I found it entertaining, but have only heard it once.

Hey, do you know of a prog band with a similar name to "Brother of "Other"......something along those lines? I really liked them a few years back but can't remember.

Cockroach King is a good song, and the muppet-esque video is awesome, but it's not representative of their overall sound. Definitely take time to check out more of their discography.

As far as the band you mentioned goes, I have not heard them before.

Cockroach King is a good song, and the muppet-esque video is awesome, but it's not representative of their overall sound. Definitely take time to check out more of their discography.

As far as the band you mentioned goes, I have not heard them before.

Need to clarify... as with most prog bands it's difficult to define their sound. Just was trying to say that not all of Haken's songs have as much acapella (sp?) / layered harmony portions as Cockroach King.

So, I did my first search with the google hack looking for which thread was discussing Porcupine Tree, decided to bump this one instead since it is dedicated to the band.

I listened to Anesthetize and... liked it, didn't love it. Definite musicality, and the drummer kicks ass (I think I read that he has played with Tool as well?). But it somehow came off as almost a parody of a prog band. :dunno:

Youtube then autoplayed Fear of a Blank Planet, I liked that one more, a little edgier. These guys had a little angst. :D

Definitely worth pursuing, thanks to nzoner and DonS for evangelizing them. :cheers:

So, I did my first search with the google hack looking for which thread was discussing Porcupine Tree, decided to bump this one instead since it is dedicated to the band.

I listened to Anesthetize and... liked it, didn't love it. Definite musicality, and the drummer kicks ass (I think I read that he has played with Tool as well?). But it somehow came off as almost a parody of a prog band. :dunno:

Youtube then autoplayed Fear of a Blank Planet, I liked that one more, a little edgier. These guys had a little angst. :D

Definitely worth pursuing, thanks to nzoner and DonS for evangelizing them. :cheers:

I hated to see the band split but Steven's solo work is still A+,the former drummer Gavin Harrison is now playing with The Pineapple Thief and yes he is a badass drummer,here he his live with TPT.Glad you're checking them out I'll post a couple more you might like.