Sign in to follow this  
naomi

Mountain lion attack in WA

Really sad. Two guys in their early thirties mountain biking east of Seattle. They noticed a cougar stalking them so they started making a lot of noise to scare it off. They watched it run away. A few minutes later while they were talking about how scary the encounter was it suddenly emerged again and attacked them. Got one of the guy's down and his whole head in his mouth, his friend ran. Cougar immediately drops the first guy and chases after the second and winds up killing him. First guy survives.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/eastside/1-dead-1-injured-in-cougar-attack-on-eastside/

I did a trail backwards the other week that had a prominent mountain lion warning sign at the conventional beginning :doh: It was fortunately kind of on my mind already. I try not to get separated very much from my hiking partner, but it bothers me to see solo hikers in places known to have cougars, and on this trail there was an odd number of solo female hikers in their early - mid twenties. It's nice in theory, I totally understand the appeal, but it makes me nervous for them. Obviously the trail gets a lot of use, but there was still expanses where no one else was in sight, and then eventually a solo hiker, and then no one else for a while, so plenty of space for a cat to do its thing.

* this is going to make me ask my hiking partner to not venture too far at all when he has to pee :D

Or get a gun. Or at least upgrade from taser to stun gun. Or something that makes a ruckus.

Always figured two people (let alone two males) would be left alone.

It's just terribly sad. Fight, flight or freeze. In theory he should have used his bike against the cougar when his friend was down, maybe they would both still be alive. But he probably had no physiological control over his reaction.

I met this old dude once. Was a farmer. One day, a panther came into his house at night. He claims he killed it by choking it with his bare hands.

Sounds like bullsh!t right? Well, I saw the claw mark scars on him, and he showed me the panther skin.

I told him if I were him, Id have legally changed my Last name to pantherlkiller and wear that focking skin around my head and shoulders like Hercules and the nemian lion.

• Like 1

Did they happen to say what kind of cougar it was? I mean, are we talking like a Cary? Miranda? Or was it more like a full-on Samantha?

I'm guessing it probably wasn't a Miranda, because they're not so much into dudes.

And, come to think of it probably not a Cary. Cuz those things could never actually get a dude.

We have a lot of bears here. One neighbor friendly had something happened to her because the idiot was feeding the Bears. I mean these damn bears would literally break into the garage or the house looking for food. I know all the other neighbors hated her. I have to look that story up and see how it ended. Hopefully she got killed.

see, both of the stories you posted are actually a tragedy. It shows that Wildlife is losing its ability to do that which used to be just part of their DNA.

True lions, like the ones you see in Africa, they would never attack the head. Not first. I mean that's the hardest nut to crack. True lions know 2 go after the prey from the most vulnerable spot. Which is the arsehole. That's good Eatin. I mean, if you're a lion.

Or Newbie.

• Like 1

see, both of the stories you posted are actually a tragedy. It shows that Wildlife is losing its ability to do that which used to be just part of their DNA.

True lions, like the ones you see in Africa, they would never attack the head. Not first. I mean that's the hardest nut to crack. True lions know 2 go after the prey from the most vulnerable spot. Which is the arsehole. That's good Eatin. I mean, if you're a lion.

Or Newbie.

Well done

Really?

Yeah. The way he tied Newbie in at the end? That's good stuff.

I set out to climb a county high point last summer, in the parking lot at the trail head this dude is coming down and I ask him how the trail was today. Dark clouds were on the horizon.

He says just a little bit of rain and the only people he saw were two rangers, they were on the lookout for a mountain lion. They had found a mauled deer just off trail a little ways up and wanted to make sure any humans were safe.

I figured no problem, the rangers have everything under control. Hike on!

I get to the peak and never crossed paths with the rangers so the whole way down, probably 5-6 miles I am looking over my shoulder every 10 seconds to see if I am about to become dessert. :lol:

^Amusing in hindsight but sounds incredibly stressful. I make myself paranoid and I walked back from the ocean in rural Mendocino County, just a mile, at dusk in an area where there have been panther sightings. Was a teenager at the time, and my mind's eye (film in this case) was showing me how it could go down. Was so thankful to make it back. There are these wind breaking cypress groves and my grandfather had noted bone gardens in one of the groves before. If there had been suggestion of fresh panther activity, I would have just parked it at the beach and let people get mad at me. Definitely wouldn't have done more than a mile of that journey.

Just thank God it wasn't a bobcat. Those things are fierce.

I've been five feet from a bobcat in the wild. Seemed harmless enough, much less of a threat than a mountain lion.

I've been five feet from a bobcat in the wild. Seemed harmless enough, much less of a threat than a mountain lion.

Maybe it was a Puma.

I like the fact that the poosay that abandoned his friend to die is the one that got eaten. Apparently mountain lions have a sense of honor.

So the saying "I don't have to outrun the ____, I just have to out run you" isn't always true?

I like the fact that the poosay that abandoned his friend to die is the one that got eaten. Apparently mountain lions have a sense of honor.

Or a sense of humor.

So the saying "I don't have to outrun the ____, I just have to out run you" isn't always true?

Should have stabbed his friend being attacked by the cougar before running away.

Seems they both took turns running away.

“He jumped the first victim and attacked him,” said Abbott. “The second victim turned and started to run away. The cougar saw that and went after the second victim. The first victim saw his friend being pulled by the cougar. He got on his bike and started to bike away.

Should have stabbed his friend being attacked by the cougar before running away.

Or sprinkled his body with trail mix.

A hand gun would have been handy here.

:thumbsup: Won't hear that phrase on CNN.

AR-15 would have been even better.

Only a retard would go hiking in that kind of terrain with known mountain lions without a firearm on them.

Sad but shouldve been more prepared.

Also why did they track down and kill the cougar? Animal didnt do anything wrong.

Also why did they track down and kill the cougar? Animal didnt do anything wrong.

Cause once a big cat gets him a taste of the white meat....

They do this all the time because as was stated once they get they can kill and eat a human it's on their check list of can do again

I don't agree with it either

Only a retard would go hiking in that kind of terrain with known mountain lions without a firearm on them.

Sad but shouldve been more prepared.

Do you swim with a gun too? Shoot mosquitoes?

Just thank God it wasn't a bobcat. Those things are fierce.

Or a Honey Badger

Disagree

Hell, half the poosay at this bored wouldnt go to chucky cheeze without being strapped.

Well, they're pretty damn ghetto these days.

Might as well call them

Chuck D Cheese.

Cause once an NBA player gets him a taste of the white meat....

Fixored

Or a Honey Badger

Honey Badger don't care.