Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - TE Evan Engram, Giants

If Eli Manning can't perform with Brandon Marshall and Engram joining Odell Beckham Jr. and Sterling Shepard, then it may be time for him to retire. Engram isn't going to block very much or very well, but that is not the reason why New York is bringing Engram on board. The Ole Miss product is an offensive weapon and will cause major headaches for defenses who will already be stretched to account for Beckham and Marshall. At 6-3 and 234 pounds with 4.42 speed, he's going to be a nightmare matchup for linebackers and safeties alike. While he was rightfully considered a second-round prospect due to his blocking deficiencies, the Giants are a great landing spot because they won't ask him to do it all that much. Engram has Jordan Reed-like upside, and he could eventually realize that potential down the road if NYG continues to remain a up-tempo, quick-hitting pass offense.

as a DAL fan, i have to wonder if this pick isn't specifically directed at the cowboys. it's as if NYG is saying that they don't have to address the turrible OL because DAL can't rush the passer anyway, so why not give eli another toy?

I'm a NYG fan - and I was very surprised they went with Engram over Njoku... At least Njoku could help block edge rushers / blitzers.

I'm a NYG fan - and I was very surprised they went with Engram over Njoku... At least Njoku could help block edge rushers / blitzers.

It made sense to me..............Engram already does one thing very well and there is a window with Eli.

Engram is a natural pass catcher IMO and Njoku is not. Njoku has the higher upside as a complete TE but if you need a screwdriver and its sitting there in front of you, no need to go looking for the cordless drill multi-tool which is cool but would take more time

This kid looks like a beast with Beckham having a safety over the top, he has a chance to produce decent numbers as a rookie.

It made sense to me..............Engram already does one thing very well and there is a window with Eli.

Engram is a natural pass catcher IMO and Njoku is not. Njoku has the higher upside as a complete TE but if you need a screwdriver and its sitting there in front of you, no need to go looking for the cordless drill multi-tool which is cool but would take more time

I agree and disagree. If Njoku turns into the New Orleans version of Jimmy Graham and Engram settles into a poor man's Jordan Reed (OBJ's presence probably isn't going to let him be the second coming of Reed), do you really want the guy who is one-dimensional? Njoku is the most impressive (in terms of an athlete) tight end I can remember coming out of the draft. Yes, he's raw, but he is incredibly far along for someone that has played the position from about two years.

The thing I go back to is NYG needs more players who can block (in addition to other things). Engram isn't going to be that guy. Njoku may only need a year or two to be a complete tight end.

I agree and disagree. If Njoku turns into the New Orleans version of Jimmy Graham and Engram settles into a poor man's Jordan Reed (OBJ's presence probably isn't going to let him be the second coming of Reed), do you really want the guy who is one-dimensional? Njoku is the most impressive (in terms of an athlete) tight end I can remember coming out of the draft. Yes, he's raw, but he is incredibly far along for someone that has played the position from about two years.

The thing I go back to is NYG needs more players who can block (in addition to other things). Engram isn't going to be that guy. Njoku may only need a year or two to be a complete tight end.

There are facets and nuances to this discussion.

On Njoku only needing a year or two to become a complete TE, perhaps. Lets just say we accept that as a given.............there are a number of people who think Eli's remaining window is 2-3 yrs. It IS a certainty that Eli is only currently signed for the next 3 yrs, so that 1-2 yrs of development time could be somewhere between 1/3 and ALL of the remaining window with Eli to make another SB push. While everybody wants to believe they will have the answer ready and waiting when their current franchise QB is done, most realists operate with a window of time to make a push, then make moves in a way that makes them as competitive as possible during that window. Job security concerns often heighten that way of thinking. Many times that means making a choice between "what's good for me now" vs "what might be better for me later". My personal opinion is that Njoku was not going upgrade the Giants blocking or pass catching this year, while Engram is a far better bet to help them in a role immediately. Engram can step in as a natural pass catcher who can threaten the deep seam immediately and actually will do so better than Njoku ever projects to in that single area. That ability has tactical value to the O as a whole even beyond the actual production and soon.

When it comes to the time window facet of the discussion we all go through a version of this as dynasty owners. Some years you have to make a choice in a rookie draft between a player who landed well enough that they are highly likely to contribute to your starting lineup now, way more likely than a player who is more talented but has a chance to be better for you down the road. Some guys will always make the same choice no matter what, but many owners will make the choice based on their current competitive position.

For me personally when comparing the two, there is another facet that is more akin to choosing between a bird in the hand or two in the bush. While we may project what Njoku can be as a complete TE in the future (and for those who haven't it IS truly amazing, go look at his tape on draft breakdown vs Pit!), the landscape is littered with athletic talents that just didn't reach their ceiling for whatever reason. Its easy for me to see what Engram can do right away, no projecting necessary.

Bottom line, as to your question, "....... do you really want the guy who is one-dimensional?"

If I'm Cleveland no, I have Njoku higher. If I'm Chicago no, I have Njoku higher. If I'm the Packers its a more nuanced question about what my needs are in the offense. If I'm the Giants........all I'm saying is I thought there's was a rational decision based on the logic I've laid out.

If one is willing to accept the concept of window as a premise that I've I laid out above then the idea that the Giants need blockers is unimportant to the choice between these 2 TEs. If a blocker is going to give them the best chance of improving, they should have chosen a blocker that could help right away rather than either of those players. I would point out that an argument could be made that with the top 3 WRs and Howard gone from the board its vey possible Engram was the highest rated pass catcher regardless of position left on many teams boards.........he would be for me as well in terms of immediate contributor.

I do think there are some NFL teams who could have had Engram higher on their prospect list simply because what he does well meshes better with the players they currently have and the way they want to run their O, the way they would use him tactically. I think another percentage of teams may have had him higher on their board due to the skill set he has being more developed right now. The majority probably had Njoku higher.

Because I have argued OJ was a better prospect (and decidedly so for me) than NJoku and now argued I thought the pick of Engram before Njoku made sense for the Giants, it may appear as though I am down on Njoku. Far from it, Njoku is the guy who has the highest ceiling in my opinion as well but there are always other factors to be weighed for me.

There are facets and nuances to this discussion.

On Njoku only needing a year or two to become a complete TE, perhaps. Lets just say we accept that as a given.............there are a number of people who think Eli's remaining window is 2-3 yrs. It IS a certainty that Eli is only currently signed for the next 3 yrs, so that 1-2 yrs of development time could be somewhere between 1/3 and ALL of the remaining window with Eli to make another SB push. While everybody wants to believe they will have the answer ready and waiting when their current franchise QB is done, most realists operate with a window of time to make a push, then make moves in a way that makes them as competitive as possible during that window. Job security concerns often heighten that way of thinking. Many times that means making a choice between "what's good for me now" vs "what might be better for me later". My personal opinion is that Njoku was not going upgrade the Giants blocking or pass catching this year, while Engram is a far better bet to help them in a role immediately. Engram can step in as a natural pass catcher who can threaten the deep seam immediately and actually will do so better than Njoku ever projects to in that single area. That ability has tactical value to the O as a whole even beyond the actual production and soon.

When it comes to the time window facet of the discussion we all go through a version of this as dynasty owners. Some years you have to make a choice in a rookie draft between a player who landed well enough that they are highly likely to contribute to your starting lineup now, way more likely than a player who is more talented but has a chance to be better for you down the road. Some guys will always make the same choice no matter what, but many owners will make the choice based on their current competitive position.

For me personally when comparing the two, there is another facet that is more akin to choosing between a bird in the hand or two in the bush. While we may project what Njoku can be as a complete TE in the future (and for those who haven't it IS truly amazing, go look at his tape on draft breakdown vs Pit!), the landscape is littered with athletic talents that just didn't reach their ceiling for whatever reason. Its easy for me to see what Engram can do right away, no projecting necessary.

Bottom line, as to your question, "....... do you really want the guy who is one-dimensional?"

If I'm Cleveland no, I have Njoku higher. If I'm Chicago no, I have Njoku higher. If I'm the Packers its a more nuanced question about what my needs are in the offense. If I'm the Giants........all I'm saying is I thought there's was a rational decision based on the logic I've laid out.

If one is willing to accept the concept of window as a premise that I've I laid out above then the idea that the Giants need blockers is unimportant to the choice between these 2 TEs. If a blocker is going to give them the best chance of improving, they should have chosen a blocker that could help right away rather than either of those players. I would point out that an argument could be made that with the top 3 WRs and Howard gone from the board its vey possible Engram was the highest rated pass catcher regardless of position left on many teams boards.........he would be for me as well in terms of immediate contributor.

I do think there are some NFL teams who could have had Engram higher on their prospect list simply because what he does well meshes better with the players they currently have and the way they want to run their O, the way they would use him tactically. I think another percentage of teams may have had him higher on their board due to the skill set he has being more developed right now. The majority probably had Njoku higher.

Because I have argued OJ was a better prospect (and decidedly so for me) than NJoku and now argued I thought the pick of Engram before Njoku made sense for the Giants, it may appear as though I am down on Njoku. Far from it, Njoku is the guy who has the highest ceiling in my opinion as well but there are always other factors to be weighed for me.

What you meant to say: Engram is a great pass catcher now so he provides an immediate upgrade to the TE position for how the Giants use it. Njoku is a project that will take time to develop. They wanted the proven commodity on the roster.

I'd guess you for a saleman or a lawyer. lol

What you meant to say: Engram is a great pass catcher now so he provides an immediate upgrade to the TE position for how the Giants use it. Njoku is a project that will take time to develop. They wanted the proven commodity on the roster.

I'd guess you for a saleman or a lawyer. lol

Well actually I did think I had expressed the concept more concisely than my second post, not as clearly as you did but maybe you missed it. Doug's reply to the brief remarks made me want to expound a bit.

On the salesman or lawyer, neither, but I have to admit I have been accused of being both of those at various times. LOL

Aren't we all in some capacity? :)