Sign in to follow this  
josh wiley

thursday night to friday

what if they moved the weekly game to friday? better for the players as far as recovery time, but would the higher ups think that firday night would be less profitable?

I also heard in the past that they won't do Fridays because of high school ball and won't do Saturdays until college ball it's over. Not sure how true that is.

I also heard in the past that they won't do Fridays because of high school ball and won't do Saturdays until college ball it's over. Not sure how true that is.

I've heard this as well. The argument could be Thursday games take away from JV Football.

I've heard this as well. The argument could be Thursday games take away from JV Football.

JV games are not typically Thursday night. Thursday night prime time is big ratings. Friday and Saturday nights are not.

JV games are not typically Thursday night. Thursday night prime time is big ratings. Friday and Saturday nights are not.

I was kinda attempting a joke.

NFL doesn't play games that might compete with High School and College games.(wiki this, but I think house/senate influence this long ago whether by law or a gentleman's agreement)

Reason Friday is almost exclusively H.S.

Reason Saturday is almost exclusively College

This doesn't change until December when both games are basically done for the season.

NFL and the NFLPA would likely rather have either Saturday or Friday nights than Thursday.

What if they changed JV to Wednesdays, Varsity to Thursdays, College to Fridays, NFL to Saturday, Sunday, Mondays and Tuesdays for shitz and giggles?

The NFL should have 2 games a night M-F, with 3 on Saturdays and 3 on Sundays.

Weekday and Saturdays can be a 6pm EST for game one, and a 9pm EST for game two.

Sundays can be the typical 3 time slots.

30 hours of viewable football M-F

9 more on each Saturday and Sunday.

Have a flex schedule and put all the bad matchups on the early weekday hours and remove those spots during bye weeks.

When working the schedule, just make sure to have no teams playing on less than 5-6 days and if they play on 5, give them 7 or 8 days next week.

Problem solved.

Nfl has enough problems, competeing with prime time friday shows with the spouse or going out wouldnt be better. No way can they compete with college football on Saturdays. Just dump the Thursday games and watch wrestling, todays rules are watering down the product to give more in a given week. Gone are the days of pocket passers, Running backs that carry 25 times, players that played hurt, and players who worked hard in the off-season to get better. Fantasy football was built on so much different then todays girls which is why college is becoming more desirable.

Nfl has enough problems, competeing with prime time friday shows with the spouse or going out wouldnt be better. No way can they compete with college football on Saturdays. Just dump the Thursday games and watch wrestling, todays rules are watering down the product to give more in a given week. Gone are the days of pocket passers, Running backs that carry 25 times, players that played hurt, and players who worked hard in the off-season to get better. Fantasy football was built on so much different then todays girls which is why college is becoming more desirable.

Then don't watch the NFL. Easy as that and us who like it will watch it if we like.

I'm with you on one point, I like watching college football more now days.

No one gives a sh!t about high school football, unless you have a son playing.

Move the NFL games to Friday.

The NFL should have 2 games a night M-F, with 3 on Saturdays and 3 on Sundays.

Weekday and Saturdays can be a 6pm EST for game one, and a 9pm EST for game two.

Sundays can be the typical 3 time slots.

30 hours of viewable football M-F

9 more on each Saturday and Sunday.

Have a flex schedule and put all the bad matchups on the early weekday hours and remove those spots during bye weeks.

When working the schedule, just make sure to have no teams playing on less than 5-6 days and if they play on 5, give them 7 or 8 days next week.

Problem solved.

Sure, and have two seasons, start another season in early March and Super Bowl in July. These players get more time off than teachers.

No one gives a sh!t about high school football, unless you have a son playing.

Move the NFL games to Friday.

The NFL will lose about noone in viewership.

I think your living in a bubble seafoam. Its about the timing and all the viewers. Your right its hard to get people to attend high school football games when your school has a bad team to stand in freezing weather. Ive witnessed our small town have 3 deep around the track fenceing standing with the bleachers all full when we experienced good years. But i also remember playing a team in playoffs during that time who had more band members then fans. Keep in mind that some still need to juggle work, children, and there spouse time and wont justify there own actions if the game doesnt bring enough to the table. Somehow you took the subject and turned it into all about your life and viewership instead of the direction of nfl as a whole.

I think your living in a bubble seafoam. Its about the timing and all the viewers. Your right its hard to get people to attend high school football games when your school has a bad team to stand in freezing weather. Ive witnessed our small town have 3 deep around the track fenceing standing with the bleachers all full when we experienced good years. But i also remember playing a team in playoffs during that time who had more band members then fans. Keep in mind that some still need to juggle work, children, and there spouse time and wont justify there own actions if the game doesnt bring enough to the table. Somehow you took the subject and turned it into all about your life and viewership instead of the direction of nfl as a whole.

Ok. How many people watch NFL games or participate in supporting the NFL in some way? Amd hpw many people go to high school football games?

Ok. How many people watch NFL games or participate in supporting the NFL in some way? Amd hpw many people go to high school football games?

How many people go to HS football games...in Texas? Better to try to count the ones who don't go, won't take as long.

I went to a small HS, our games weren't that big a deal. But I live near some big state powerhouse schools now--and there are plenty of Thursday nights when I can't get the NFL radio network on my drive home because that same station is broadcasting a local HS game. They're choosing to broadcast a local HS game over the NFL. HS football is a big thing in a lot of places. Coal country too, from what I have seen.

How many people go to HS football games...in Texas? Better to try to count the ones who don't go, won't take as long.

I went to a small HS, our games weren't that big a deal. But I live near some big state powerhouse schools now--and there are plenty of Thursday nights when I can't get the NFL radio network on my drive home because that same station is broadcasting a local HS game. They're choosing to broadcast a local HS game over the NFL. HS football is a big thing in a lot of places. Coal country too, from what I have seen.

I get that for sure. Texas and the New England area are huge into HS football. Where I grew up in the Chicago area HS basketball was way bigger. All I'm saying though is that if the NFL moved Thursday to Friday, they would have a large audience. It may be more event driven, but Thursday is just an odd time for people to be able to stay up so late. Same for Sunday nights.

Let me put it this way. There are millions of consultants in this country that fly to client sites early on Monday mornings and fly back home on Thursday nights. They are all impacted by both Sunday night game times and Thursday night games by possibly not being able to watch the whole games. There are always conflicts.

So if players think that extra day would help the teams, then why not switch?

I get that for sure. Texas and the New England area are huge into HS football. Where I grew up in the Chicago area HS basketball was way bigger. All I'm saying though is that if the NFL moved Thursday to Friday, they would have a large audience. It may be more event driven, but Thursday is just an odd time for people to be able to stay up so late. Same for Sunday nights.

Let me put it this way. There are millions of consultants in this country that fly to client sites early on Monday mornings and fly back home on Thursday nights. They are all impacted by both Sunday night game times and Thursday night games by possibly not being able to watch the whole games. There are always conflicts.

So if players think that extra day would help the teams, then why not switch?

I don't necessarily disagree. Don't hold either opinion about what would be better for league earnings, I don't have that data. But I think something later in the week would be better for teams and players to be sure.

I don't necessarily disagree. Don't hold either opinion about what would be better for league earnings, I don't have that data. But I think something later in the week would be better for teams and players to be sure.

Yeah man. I love the late night games on Sunday but I have to leave to the airport at 4am every Monday. And I know it's not about me. But, I would totally enjoy a late Friday or Saturday night game. I also do realize that those time slots could break up some relationships. :)

I just think if it is a real issue of only having 3 days off between games, then like you referred to, do what is needed.

I get that for sure. Texas and the New England area are huge into HS football. Where I grew up in the Chicago area HS basketball was way bigger.

Not sure where you get your info, but HS football is not big in New England. Not big here for college football either.

Not sure where you get your info, but HS football is not big in New England. Not big here for college football either.

Lived up in Cambridge for a while and new many folks where it was a way of life. Large crowds and more.

So you think the targeted audience, or enough people hopping on airplanes, over the middle class working people to be profitable?

So you think the targeted audience, or enough people hopping on airplanes, over the middle class working people to be profitable?

I sincerely don't know what that question is you are asking. so I'll just grab some of the words and respond to them.

I think the targeted audience for football is so diverse it can hardly be stated simply. Years ago they learned that women comprise 40+% of the audience. For both men and women I heard it stated they target age groups generally in the 18-50 range, but they also put some focus on salary of $50,000+. I read recently that they have currently been going more after younger kids as well possibly because of all the negative news on concussions and parents reactions but I don't have any deep insight to how they are working out their marketing campaigns.

But I would suggest, the next time you watch a nationally televised game, pay attention to the commercials. Those are the big dollar commercials on Monday, Thursday and Sunday nights although any games you watch should suffice. Watch what they are trying to sell and you can get a glimpse into who they are looking to reach. I see lot's of business solutions, cars, networking and the typical phone and internet stuff. As well as beer of course.

I think you will understand that they do market heavily towards business folks but then again, they target a very large audience.

I do not really understand your comment about people hopping on planes but I have been doing it every week for the past 11 years and I can promise you that there is an equal percentage of football fans in those airports and on planes as there of those that don't go to airports often.

And please define what you mean by middle class working people as opposed to people that fly weekly to work. I'm just not getting your point is all. Maybe I am just misunderstanding.

This is the key. NFL fans are largely working class and white, even on the coasts.

Here you go:

• 75% of NFL fans make less than $100k.
  • 26% make less than $40k.
  • 77% are caucasian.
  • 37% are 55+.
  • 34% are 34-54.
  • 55% are male.

Compared to other major sports, actually a lot more women and minorities than I expected. But the 'average fan' is still an older white middle to lower income guy.

But it is true that HS football is not as popular for that demographic in some places. Where I grew up in WI, I think a lot of people would have watched the NFL on Friday night rather than go to HS football games (which they weren't going to in large numbers already).