Sign in to follow this  
naomi

Quitting a job before getting another one

Slightly tempted to do so but I want to explore how unwise it is appearance wise. If I quit my job I would would be fine financially for a long time. I would definitely be free to be at the top of my game job searching wise. I haven't been in the professional world long enough, or in the right ways enough though, to know how hiring managers really view that. Does it ever get understood in simple context - they wanted a change, could afford to do it, so they did it.

That's an unknown - whether a meaningful gap would eventually happen, but the plan (hypothetically, don't think I have the :bandana: to do this...but I want to explore it at least) would be to get a good job asap.

That's an unknown - whether a meaningful gap would eventually happen, but the plan (hypothetically, don't think I have the :bandana: to do this...but I want to explore it at least) would be to get a good job asap.

What is a "meaningful gap?" :dunno:

What is a "meaningful gap?" :dunno:

Three months would be personally uncomfortable. Not financially, but to me that seems like reasonable time to have found a job if what I was doing with my time was mostly searching for one.

Unless you have FU money or you are being abused, get another job first.

In a weird way both actually apply. "Abused" as in the school district I work for needs to panel review the classification. Last time was the 80's...a lot has changed. It's not a one-size-fits-all deal across the high schools but that recognition hasn't factored in either. Some of us have a crazier volume (there's one of us at each site), and my site has the reputation for having the most going on. I would need to go through the union to advocate for what I think needs to be understood and changed, but I'm busy and I never meant to turn it into a career anyway, just meant to save up for a car. If I was paid more and compensated for the crazy OT, I'd still want to be doing something else.

In a weird way both actually apply. "Abused" as in the school district I work for needs to panel review the classification. Last time was the 80's...a lot has changed. It's not a one-size-fits-all deal across the high schools but that recognition hasn't factored in either. Some of us have a crazier volume (there's one of us at each site), and my site has the reputation for having the most going on. I would need to go through the union to advocate for what I think needs to be understood and changed, but I'm busy and I never meant to turn it into a career anyway, just meant to save up for a car. If I was paid more and compensated for the crazy OT, I'd still want to be doing something else.

So, your job doesnt pay what you think it is worth and they over work you? That is not abuse. That is a job. Welcome to the real world Ms. Millenial.

I change my advice. Quit. Now. Dont show up. Dont give notice. Suck off the tit of taxpayers because these jobs are beneath you.

I'd recommed looking around first. The newspapers say generally it's a good time to look, but if you want to stay local, your region may be different.

So, your job doesnt pay what you think it is worth and they over work you? That is not abuse. That is a job. Welcome to the real world Ms. Millenial.

I change my advice. Quit. Now. Dont show up. Dont give notice. Suck off the tit of taxpayers because these jobs are beneath you.

12 hours unpaid OT during the week, give or take. To feel comfortable keeping pace I would come in for a few hours every weekend versus once a month. It's hard knowing the office should have that to keep pace better, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. Other jobs in this pay range are usually containable in 8 hour work days. I don't mind an exception to an 8 hour workday, within reason. But really you don't see many jobs paying under $20/hr that demand this much time. If I figure it out and divide my salary by actual hours worked I think I could be doing as well at McDonalds. Seriously. No one internally wanted the job, even for some who it would have been a promotion for because they thought it was "like two jobs in one." A retired sub for the position who worked at a site which works a little differently (alternative school) is telling two of us they really need to have assistants for the position, after she subs for us. She gets concerned and sends us texts about how concerning it is. One of my counterparts went from a position in her school unrelated to it and it's been two years for her in this now, and she is still saying "omg, I had no idea." She's in her early fifties. My friend who was hired by the same principal as me told me recently (she was on my interview panel), that like what she found out regarding herself - he favored her because she was single and unmarried/no family. She said he was excited about that after my interview.

No one asks me to take the extra time. It's a really independent position, but I know it needs it. My performance reviews have been great. If I started advocating to be paid for the OT, I assume they would have to start saying something about needing to work faster.

What a dik. Get off your high horse. She explained that she's putting in many extra hours and not getting compensated. That's wrong.

If you have they money to support yourself then I think you should leave if you're unhappy. Give proper notification and go. We're not slaves. You can choose to take a break. I sure wish I had extra money saved up like you have, God bless.

BTW, I work unpaid OT all the time. I don't even think about it. It's a necessity in order for the job to get done.

• Like 1

What a dik. Get off your high horse. She explained that she's putting in many extra hours and not getting compensated. That's wrong.

Then find another job. Dont sit and whine about it. If you are worth more or there are better opportunities, then the market will bear that. Just dont be surprised when the grass isnt greener elsewhere.

It is called being honest

One of the dumber things I have seen

It is generally a bad idea. It is almost always easier to get a job when you have a job. You can always cut back on the O.T. in order to look for a new job. The work may pile up but you're leaving anyway so why do you care? And there is the possibility that your boss notices and asks you about it. At which point you can sit him down and explain the situation. He may offer you more money to keep you.

Although, a former boss of mine once told me, "don't let more money keep you in a job you don't like." It's only a matter of time before you find yourself in this same position.

It is generally a bad idea. It is almost always easier to get a job when you have a job. You can always cut back on the O.T. in order to look for a new job. The work may pile up but you're leaving anyway so why do you care? And there is the possibility that your boss notices and asks you about it. At which point you can sit him down and explain the situation. He may offer you more money to keep you.

Although, a former boss of mine once told me, "don't let more money keep you in a job you don't like." It's only a matter of time before you find yourself in this same position.

The district sets the pay scale for the position and they haven't reviewed the job since the mid-80s. A colleague in a completely different position worked with her counterparts at the other sites - everyone talked to someone doing the same job in another district. They compared everything, and then she drafted an updated job description with everyone signing on to it, and the context of what pay is like outside of this district. She then worked with the union to work with HR, and the board with the authority to do so eventually agreed a raise was due.

So that's how that works. But yeah, I would still be looking elsewhere for a job even if the compensation was better.

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to keep hanging in until I find something else, but the temptation comes up when I realize that I technically could quit and be fine, and I don't think it's been healthy stress wise. I'm worried I'll understand the negative impact later and wish I'd ejected sooner. The healthiest thing would be for the district to give some of the sites who need it an assistant for the office. That would be awesome, I'd still want to be doing something else, but it would be saner for sure.

The real question is:. What are you doing to find another job? You have a degree and unemployment is low. Are you actively looking? If so, in what ways? Your career is in your hands. Don't sit around waiting for it to come to you.

Oh, and pay your focking debts welcher!!! :P

The real question is:. What are you doing to find another job? You have a degree and unemployment is low. Are you actively looking? If so, in what ways? Your career is in your hands. Don't sit around waiting for it to come to you.

Oh, and pay your focking debts welcher!!! :P

A couple weeks ago I applied for a job in another city. Happened to see the posting a couple hours before it closed and I wound up applying without submitting a cover letter, 5 mins to close of posting. Realized afterward that its location is perfect for making the geographic transition. I didn't make it to the interview stage though. Not sure if it was the lack of a CL. I also accidentally put a space in my resume (in the name of my city) somehow when I was editing another area. When I looked at the PDF after submission, I noticed it. Anyway, I didn't apply anywhere else while waiting to hear on that one, because the fit was so good. I knew it was high risk though, and figured I'd make it the only time I just sit and wait like that.

This weekend = looking. If I look in Sac, it's for part-time work because I'll do freelance work for some people I got connected with who are gracious about exposing me to their professional audience, who might take someone on if they like their work. Pure charity on their part, but I haven't reached out to the main guy for a little while now. I'll let him know I need to get out of the current job and into a PT one to start to getting engaged there.

Looking at full-time jobs in the other city.

The district sets the pay scale for the position and they haven't reviewed the job since the mid-80s. A colleague in a completely different position worked with her counterparts at the other sites - everyone talked to someone doing the same job in another district. They compared everything, and then she drafted an updated job description with everyone signing on to it, and the context of what pay is like outside of this district. She then worked with the union to work with HR, and the board with the authority to do so eventually agreed a raise was due.

So that's how that works. But yeah, I would still be looking elsewhere for a job even if the compensation was better.

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to keep hanging in until I find something else, but the temptation comes up when I realize that I technically could quit and be fine, and I don't think it's been healthy stress wise. I'm worried I'll understand the negative impact later and wish I'd ejected sooner. The healthiest thing would be for the district to give some of the sites who need it an assistant for the office. That would be awesome, I'd still want to be doing something else, but it would be saner for sure.

Oh, ok. School districts operate a little differently than I'm used to with regards to individual merrit increases.

Regardless, I would caution you against walking without another offer. I recently went back to work after taking time off after a layoff. My wife and I were both laid off within a week of each other two years ago. We had plenty of savings so we decided to take some time for ourselves, thinking that when we decided to jump back into the workforce we'd be able to find something fairly quickly. It didn't work out that way for either of us. Granted, everybody's circumstances are different so you may be able to find another job within a couple of weeks.

If you decide to walk without another offer I would suggest not taking too much time off before you start your search for the next gig. rholio cautioned me against doing the same thing but I figured I had plenty of savings to pay the bills until I decided it was time to go back to work. As it turned out, I should have heeded his advice.

RIP rholio :( :cheers:

• Like 1

Unless youre not getting paid or being abused it is always easier to find a job while you have one and looks a lot better to not have gaps on your resume. Think about explaining why you left in an interview and how bad it will sound. Also when it comes to OT you need to draw your own lines because almost any office job will have enough work to keep you there every night if you let it. And its easier to work a job you dont like while looking for your way out.

• Like 1

Wait until you have another job. I would also be prepared to answer the question “Why are you looking for a new job?”. Complaining about extra hours probably isn’t a good selling point, I would go with something like the job wasn’t a good career fit, or you are ready for the next step in your career. Lastly, it’s better to run to something rather than from something. Spend some time thinking through what you want out of your next job and then work to make that happen.

Also, have you spoken to your supervisor. Phrase it as you asking for help or advice rather than a series of complaints. You mentioned that you assume they will just tell you to work faster. I would at least give them a chance to help. If you are going to leave anyway what do you have to lose?