Sign in to follow this  
yostevo

Drafting after the early game plays week 1?

20th anniversary of the league I run and we are jetting off to Vegas for the draft. We will be there the weekend of week 1. The draft will be that Sat. and a game will already have been played. I'm curious to see if anyone has drafted after the early game but before the first Sunday of the year. What did you do about the players that played? Did you allow them to be placed into lineups? Here's my take:

Allow the players that played into the starting lineup

It certainly would put a real interesting spin on the draft. If a player does really well, will people over pay to get him for one week's results? Does it hinder say a top 5 QB's draft status if they have a sub par week?

Do not allow players that played to be in the starting lineups

This is probably the most logical solution but it certainly hinders player values and would alter the draft as well. It's kinda lame though.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

20th anniversary of the league I run and we are jetting off to Vegas for the draft. We will be there the weekend of week 1. The draft will be that Sat. and a game will already have been played. I'm curious to see if anyone has drafted after the early game but before the first Sunday of the year. What did you do about the players that played? Did you allow them to be placed into lineups? Here's my take:

Allow the players that played into the starting lineup

It certainly would put a real interesting spin on the draft. If a player does really well, will people over pay to get him for one week's results? Does it hinder say a top 5 QB's draft status if they have a sub par week?

Do not allow players that played to be in the starting lineups

This is probably the most logical solution but it certainly hinders player values and would alter the draft as well. It's kinda lame though.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Would be pretty interesting to allow the players that played to be plugged into your lineup knowing their stats. See who fucks up and goes for 1 big week and who can hold off and draft for future. I think it'd be pretty fun way of doing it.

Would be pretty interesting to allow the players that played to be plugged into your lineup knowing their stats. See who fucks up and goes for 1 big week and who can hold off and draft for future. I think it'd be pretty fun way of doing it.

This is how I'm leaning as well. Way more scenarios would play out on draft day which I think would be really interesting to watch.

I think you'd have to allow players that played into the lineup.

For instance who is going to draft a qb and then not get his stats week 1?

That would eff up your team.

What's the first game anyway?

Giants/Cowboys?

I think you'd have to allow players that played into the lineup.

For instance who is going to draft a qb and then not get his stats week 1?

That would eff up your team.

What's the first game anyway?

Giants/Cowboys?

Yep Giants and Boys on Wed. Sept 5th

:thumbsup: Gotta allow the stats to count for week one..

Yep. The only other solution would be to formulate in advance what each position did.

Say Romo/Eli both get 270 yds 2.4 tds or something and that seems more complicated and not part of the game than allowing the stats in.

Say we allow the stats and Romo only goes for 200 and 1Td. Would that team be allowed to start the backup hoping for better? That sorta reeks of an inherant advantage.

Also consider the other side of the coin. What if Romo goes for 400 & 4. Are you going to want to be the team facing that in week 1 before your draft even concludes? Food for thought there.

Say we allow the stats and Romo only goes for 200 and 1Td. Would that team be allowed to start the backup hoping for better? That sorta reeks of an inherant advantage.

Also consider the other side of the coin. What if Romo goes for 400 & 4. Are you going to want to be the team facing that in week 1 before your draft even concludes? Food for thought there.

You have to allow the stats. And I'd also say that you have to start your 'best' lineup. So that if you draft Romo, Eli, Bryant, Austin, Murray, Bradshaw, Nicks, Cruz you agree each of those guys goes into the starting lineup b/c in all likely hood they would be drafted as starters and not even borderline ones.

Someone like witten might be a tougher call but for sure on the top skill players. Set a rule. Don't change it. Next time schedule your draft on time.

How many of you remember when opening day was on Sunday and these draft weekends were the norm and the highlight of the entire season? A huge draft party on Saturday and football the next day. I hope this works out for you.

start your league week 2

Not happening.

You have to allow the stats. And I'd also say that you have to start your 'best' lineup. So that if you draft Romo, Eli, Bryant, Austin, Murray, Bradshaw, Nicks, Cruz you agree each of those guys goes into the starting lineup b/c in all likely hood they would be drafted as starters and not even borderline ones.

Someone like witten might be a tougher call but for sure on the top skill players. Set a rule. Don't change it. Next time schedule your draft on time.

Good input. The problem with trying to force people to start opening night players is where do you draw the line. I think I would make a list of players that if you draft them, you have to start them. Period.

Our draft has been on opening night for many years. It is kinda cool when a kicker makes a 50 yarder and then gets drafted with the next pick. We do our draft every year and at the end of the draft you have to tell the commish if your starting a player or not. I would say do the draft as you normally would and laugh when someone reaches. It will be fine.

My league has done this since the Thursday games started because we always draft Saturday night before opening Sunday - we have always allowed the stats to count. Sure a stud may be benched where he normally would have been played because he had a poor game - but in the end it usually evens out somewhere.

The interesting thing is seeing guys derail their draft to pick up a guy who blew up for 1 week simply to start him that week - one instance I can remember clear is Charlie Batch getting drafted in maybe the 10th round because he threw 3 TDs and almost 300 yards replacing Ben. Yes he got one great week out of him but that was it and that was a guy who probably would never even have been drafted at all. Again - it evens out somehow usually.

I think you have to allow the stats to count and everyone should be able to determine whether they start a guy who played on Thursday night already. If a stud has a bad game, they can draft them, and bench them. There is no "advantage" there because everyone has an equal opportunity to draft these players. If someone wants to reach for one week of stats, so be it. If someone wants to grab a high end backup QB because their "starter" had a bad Thursday night, so be it again.

I think you have to allow the stats to count and everyone should be able to determine whether they start a guy who played on Thursday night already. If a stud has a bad game, they can draft them, and bench them. There is no "advantage" there because everyone has an equal opportunity to draft these players. If someone wants to reach for one week of stats, so be it. If someone wants to grab a high end backup QB because their "starter" had a bad Thursday night, so be it again.

Agree 100%.

If Homo or Murray go down Nd out, it skews draft boards IMO.

Do slow draft during week as alternative