Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

NFL Rule Changes

From ESPN...

1. At their annual spring meetings in Chicago, owners approved a rule that allows teams to make two players eligible to return from injured reserve each season. Under previous rules, teams were allowed to designate only one player to be activated from IR.

2. NFL rosters now will drop from 90 to 53 players after the final preseason game after owners voted to eliminate the cutdown to 75 players before that game, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter. That means more players will get a final chance to make an NFL roster, but there will be a frenzy of activity after the final preseason game.

3. Relaxed celebration rules. You can now use the football as a prop, have group celebrations and do snow angels on the ground. :pointstosky:

However, players will still be penalized for violent oriented celebrations (throat slash, gun shooting, bow and arrow) and most of all... no twerking.

4. Overtime has been reduced from 15 minutes to 10 minutes

Edited by Mike FF Today
Added overtime rule

Don't see any of these as being bad.

Glad they are relaxing the celebration rules. They are fun and it sucked when the penalties effected the game.

The IR rule will be nice for fantasy purposes. Anything that helps with injuries a little bit is good IMO.

I heard that they were contemplating cutting overtime down to 10 minutes (in the interest of 'player safety', of course *coughs*)

Did that one get approved, as well? I hope not.

Unfortunately it did.

10 minutes OT.

Yay tie games!!!

I wish they just would have left it sudden death.

Unfortunately it did.

10 minutes OT.

Yay tie games!!!

I wish they just would have left it sudden death.

Ugh. You and me both.

Agree with you polecatt, I had no problem with sudden death.

I'd add in another vote for sudden death also.

What the heck. Win the coin toss, or have your defense stop the other team.

10 minute OT may have unfortunate side effect. thw team receiving the kick can play to draw the clock down with a long drive ... if they score field goal, they win either with a stop or expiration of the clock. Holding opponent to a field goal secures the tie, which is increased in likelihood as clock may force a try rather than time to drive for a TD. So, OT may get distinctly more boring as playing for the win (or tie) may equate to running out the clock. Just a thought.

10 minute OT may have unfortunate side effect. thw team receiving the kick can play to draw the clock down with a long drive ... if they score field goal, they win either with a stop or expiration of the clock. Holding opponent to a field goal secures the tie, which is increased in likelihood as clock may force a try rather than time to drive for a TD. So, OT may get distinctly more boring as playing for the win (or tie) may equate to running out the clock. Just a thought.

Maybe for a select few offenses who can confidently move the ball in a controlled manner. What more than likely happens is its enough time for 2 posessions. Even then it will most likely be more possessions if no one scores. The Lions lead the league in TOP per drive at 3:08. So even a very long drive at 6 mins leaves 4 mins for the opposing team to operate.

I liked it the old fashion way.

Sudden death was good for me.