Sign in to follow this  
easilyscan

1st Year Points Only League: Liking It…..Your Thoughts ?

All I'm saying is that it's not 100% luck like you're claiming. I agree with a lot of what you say.

Fair enough. I guess I am over exaggerating by saying 100%. Reasonably, I'll say it's around 70/30 luck to skill.

Fair enough. I guess I am over exaggerating by saying 100%. Reasonably, I'll say it's around 70/30 luck to skill.

That sounds about right. :thumbsup:

People who prepare can mitigate that luck/skill ratio.

Does anyone have a really bad SB win loss record? I have won a total of 9 league championships and have lost 3. It would suck hard to be really unlucky in championships. I'm probably due for some losses.

Swap schedules with every team in your league and let me know what the results are. In every league I'm in (4), I vary between 5-8 and 9-4. Skill has nothing to do with that, it's 100% luck (be it good or bad). If you finish 9-4 with a specific roster / point total, but could have been 5-8 had you had someone else's schedule, that doesn't mean you are a prepared player in one aspect and a fool in the other. It just means you were lucky enough to play the right people at the right time.

I'm the OP of this thread, & I only started it to see what others thought of points only, vs H2H. The fact that debates, pertaining to how much of FF is luck versus skill materialized, is great. The reason I'm replying to you specifically, is because, & I don't know if you realize it or not, but your quote above, is one of, if not the best arguments for points only standings that I've ever seen.
That being said, I'm pleasantly surprised how popular this thread was/is, & I really appreciate the other suggestions.
Like setting up the league to be a combination of both H2H & total points.
Thanks for all the replies, enjoy the off-season, & we’ll see you back here next year.

I'm the OP of this thread, & I only started it to see what others thought of points only, vs H2H. The fact that debates, pertaining to how much of FF is luck versus skill materialized, is great. The reason I'm replying to you specifically, is because, & I don't know if you realize it or not, but your quote above, is one of, if not the best arguments for points only standings that I've ever seen.
That being said, I'm pleasantly surprised how popular this thread was/is, & I really appreciate the other suggestions.
Thanks for all the replies, enjoy the off-season, & we’ll see you back here next year.

I assure you, I do understand that. The issue that I have in points only leagues is the one I mentioned earlier in the thread where you'll literally lose interest by 3 or 4 teams in your league by week 5. As well as create an eliminator style league by week 10 where as you get closer and closer to week 16 (or 17), you'll have a league with less and less active teams. I'm willing to bet that in your league that half the teams weren't active in Week 12 of your league. The reason I say that is because I've played in 4 leagues regularly with a consistent group of either 10, 12, or 14 teams for at least 12 years each. In every league, every year, at least half the league had no shot to compete for total points by week 10.

Now, if you're in an internet league where there's 2 or 3 regulars and every couple years you replace the other 9 or 10, then yeah, you're fine with a points only league because you probably don't communicate with those people. I talk to virtually every co-league member on a regular basis. How boring do you think those interactions will be when either I or half of those people have no shot to win your league by week 5 and three-quarters have no shot by week 10?

Actually it seem to be more of a argument for power ranking. At least that is the way I read it.

Actually it seem to be more of a argument for power ranking. At least that is the way I read it.

I play in 4 leagues, only 1 uses the power ranking system and everyone seems to like it the best... especially the way we run the playoffs (top 2 of 4 scoring teams advance until h2h in championship). The other 3 are h2h and I don't have any problems with it. To me, it's the best way to keep the entire league interested for practically the entire season.

• Like 1

The idea behind points only makes sense as the goal, as mentioned, is to score as many points as possible each week. But, the head to head aspect does keep things interresting for many reasons as people have eluded to. Ive never been in a rotisserie style league but I may want to try one out. It is nice to eliminate many of the H2H headaches like easy divisions, cheesey matchup luck, all that crap. But, I can also see it being more dull since you are ONLY watching/tracking your guys. With H2H you are watching other divisional teams games, your opponents, etc. Does make for a more involving day of FF, I believe.

Still, Id like to get into a points only league to see how I like it. Worst case? Quit the folowing year if it sucks, lol.