Sign in to follow this  
shotsup

Better Call Saul - Extended trailer

Looks like he going for the Ari character from Entourage

Bonus sneak Peek - No parking

Ehh, I wasn't all that taken with the premiere. Will try to hang in there though

Good story posty

I watched the first episode, despite only watching the first 3 seasons of Breaking Bad.

It's been a tough watch, Breaking Bad. The show is boring for long stretches of time. But I'm slowly getting through it. I understand it gets really intense and interesting towards the end.

I liked the Odenkirk character, so I thought I'd check out the show. So far, it's been good enough to keep me watching. Saul is a dynamic character that is singlehandedly carrying this show based on the premiere. Works for me.

Yup.

I had pretty low expectations but Ep. 01 was really good.

It still had that "Breaking Bad" feel with the camera angles, music, tone, and coloring.

Odenkirk is pretty fantastic. Phillybear is right, he's carrying the whole thing and doing a great job at it.

Kinda' nice seeing Mike work the toll booth!

Yup.

I had pretty low expectations but Ep. 01 was really good.

It still had that "Breaking Bad" feel with the camera angles, music, tone, and coloring.

Odenkirk is pretty fantastic. Phillybear is right, he's carrying the whole thing and doing a great job at it.

Kinda' nice seeing Mike work the toll booth!

Honestly I did too. I was nothing but pleasantly surprised. :thumbsup:

Doubt it lasts

Doubt it lasts

it might.

The opening scene's "flash forward" gave us a good idea of where this will all end for Jimmy/Saul/Gene.

I'm guessing we'll see the whole "rise and fall" of Saul told over 3 to 5 seasons. Could be pretty entertaining.

What I think is the most difficult is including all the "Breaking Bad" stuff... that's a huge part of the "fall" at least... the flash forward has to be after the breaking bad incidents force him into hiding... how does Mike, Tucco, Walt, Jessie, etc all work into this without the show still being about them? Can't keep having client meetings with "Mr. White" be an off-camera thing.

:dunno:

Pilot did its job. I'm interested. I liked it.

it might.

The opening scene's "flash forward" gave us a good idea of where this will all end for Jimmy/Saul/Gene.

I'm guessing we'll see the whole "rise and fall" of Saul told over 3 to 5 seasons. Could be pretty entertaining.

What I think is the most difficult is including all the "Breaking Bad" stuff... that's a huge part of the "fall" at least... the flash forward has to be after the breaking bad incidents force him into hiding... how does Mike, Tucco, Walt, Jessie, etc all work into this without the show still being about them? Can't keep having client meetings with "Mr. White" be an off-camera thing.

:dunno:

Pilot did its job. I'm interested. I liked it.

I believe this whole series takes place before BB. I wouldn't be surprised if Saul meets Walt in the finale.

I believe this whole series takes place before BB. I wouldn't be surprised if Saul meets Walt in the finale.

agreed - it is before BB... I'm just guessing from the flash-forward that Saul is in hiding and afraid for his life... I'm pretty sure that's how he ended in BB - unless BB was the SECOND time in his life that he was running/hiding/scared/disguised???

and... I'll call it now... Odenkirk has a chance to become a new "big name" in TV awards here... if the pilot was any indication of how he'll carry this whole thing, he'll take home a lot of Emmy's - this will be the show that launches this guy's career.

agreed - it is before BB... I'm just guessing from the flash-forward that Saul is in hiding and afraid for his life... I'm pretty sure that's how he ended in BB - unless BB was the SECOND time in his life that he was running/hiding/scared/disguised???

I could be wrong, but I think we knew he was going to Omaha after BB and it seems like there was a mention of that job. So yes, the flash forward is after BB. There could be other flash forwards, but otherwise I expect everything to take place before BB.

They were just setting it up from the end of Breaking Bad: here's Saul managing a Cinabbon in Nebraska after going into hiding (inside joke because that's what he glumly predicted would happen to him in BB), now he's going to reminisce on his life up to the events of Breaking Bad.

and... I'll call it now... Odenkirk has a chance to become a new "big name" in TV awards here... if the pilot was any indication of how he'll carry this whole thing, he'll take home a lot of Emmy's - this will be the show that launches this guy's career.

I think it was BB that launched him. Set him up for this show, and in between he got a lot of critical acclaim for his turn in Fargo.

I think it was BB that launched him. Set him up for this show, and in between he got a lot of critical acclaim for his turn in Fargo.

yeah - define "launch"... you're right, BB already put him on the map - but it's still the BB fans that know him - I'm talking about him becoming household name with a collection of Emmys - Edie Falco, Bryan Cranston, Bob Odenkirk.

I think there's a good chance of it here.

They were just setting it up from the end of Breaking Bad: here's Saul managing a Cinabbon in Nebraska after going into hiding (inside joke because that's what he glumly predicted would happen to him in BB), now he's going to reminisce on his life up to the events of Breaking Bad.

OK. makes sense.

I was watching it more like BB... BB would show flash forwards and eventually get you there in later episodes. Your suggestion sounds like a good explanation though.

Well, two episodes in, and I'm liking the show quite a bit. Odenkirk's manic over the top behavior, the riding the edge of disaster constantly, it all works. There are only a handful of shows that I currently watch where the main actor has risen above the rest of the cast and the show itself. You watch the show for the main character and hope everything else is along for the ride. Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black is the best actress on TV today and makes that show eminently very watchable. Believe it or not, Rainn Wilson in Backstrom makes a typical police procedural with boring supporting characters pop based on this ability for you to like a despicable character. It may not be in the class of the amazing John Larroquette from Night Court, or the entire cast of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but it's not bad at all.

• Like 1

I didn't expect much but I like it. Wife also has me watching Transparent on Amazon Prime, that's not bad either.

I didn't expect much but I like it. Wife also has me watching Transparent on Amazon Prime, that's not bad either.

I only saw the premiere. Seemed a little too self-aware to me, if that makes sense

The first episode was good, still have to watch the second, breaking bad took about four episodes to hook me and I suspect this will do the same

The show is great, def reccomend to BB fans.

Agreed

So, that's Lenny from Laverne and Shirley? Right? Guaran-fockin-tee this is the creators poking fun at themselves for being a spinoff.

Or a tip of the cap to an original spinoff.

Finished episode two, I really liked it, this show will definitely be in my dvr que

:thumbsup:

yup.

just finished Ep.2. FANTASTIC.

This is going to be THE new show... on par with Sopranos and Breaking Bad... and I'll bet it becomes widely regarded as the greatest-ever spin-off... b/c spinoffs usually suxor and this one doesn't.

Just as we watched Walter White spiral down the rabbit hole of crime and corruption - we are now going to watch Jimmy McGill do the same thing.The drama and funny have picked right up for Breaking Bad - this show fills the BB void. Some of my favorite lines:

"You're the Worst Lawyer EVER!"

"Hey, I just talked you down from a death sentence to 6 months probation... I'm the best lawyer EVER!"

"I'm a lawyer, not a criminal"

It's too early to judge the show, but considering it is living under a huge shadow that is BB, it has gotten off to a great start.

It seems like it's going to be a less serious, lighter, more fun version of BB.

yup.

just finished Ep.2. FANTASTIC.

This is going to be THE new show... on par with Sopranos and Breaking Bad... and I'll bet it becomes widely regarded as the greatest-ever spin-off... b/c spinoffs usually suxor and this one doesn't.

Just as we watched Walter White spiral down the rabbit hole of crime and corruption - we are now going to watch Jimmy McGill do the same thing.The drama and funny have picked right up for Breaking Bad - this show fills the BB void. Some of my favorite lines:

"You're the Worst Lawyer EVER!"

"Hey, I just talked you down from a death sentence to 6 months probation... I'm the best lawyer EVER!"

"I'm a lawyer, not a criminal"

Easy now. We're only two episodes in!

One problem I'm having with the show is we know where a lot of these guys end up so there isn't much dispense. I knew Tuco wasn't going to kill Jimmy. I also know nothing terrible will happen to Jimmy or Ehrmentrout.

This will be a problem as they continue doing BB crossovers.

nothing terrible will happen to Jimmy or Ehrmentrout.

hey - I'm just giving you my opinion - this show has real potential and I'm calling it before every media outlet and talking head starts blabbing about it.

as for "nothing terrible"... worms... I could do terrible things to you that don't involve killing you... all I know is that some characters will certainly die... and some won't...

CantTouchThis - I initially thought it would be a lighter version of BB too... but then the desert scene kinda' moved the bar a bit... I'm guessing this show will get every bit as dark and gruesome as BB - Saul's clientele could set us up for some really grim stuff.

I like this better than BB so far because I like the character Saul.

I stopped watching BB religiously at some point, but would occasionally tune and catch Saul doing his thing.

Jesse's best line ever:

FYI that's not Mike, it's his twin brother Ike, so I'm pretty sure he'll get whacked. You can see it mile away.

One problem I'm having with the show is we know where a lot of these guys end up so there isn't much dispense. I knew Tuco wasn't going to kill Jimmy. I also know nothing terrible will happen to Jimmy or Ehrmentrout.

This will be a problem as they continue doing BB crossovers.

I thought the same thing but then again that is true for most TV shows and movies. Usually, the main characters are going to get out of whatever trouble they get into. Iron Man isn't getting killed. Rick Grimes (probably) isn't getting killed. The 50 shades dude is getting laid. Etc.

FYI that's not Mike, it's his twin brother Ike, so I'm pretty sure he'll get whacked. You can see it mile away.

:mad: SPOILER ALERT :mad: