Sign in to follow this  
RaiderHaters Revenge

Philip Rivers...Best QB in the game right now?

Rivers worst year is on par with Romo's best, gimme a break

dude has thrown more than 2 int in a game once his entire career

We'll agree to disagree, Rivers may finish top 5, but you're not convincing me he's the best current QB in the game, even if you have some statistical support for your argument through 6 games. It's a long season.

Philip Rivers has recorded a passer rating of 120.0 or more in five straight games, an NFL record.

Rivers isn't just playing at an MVP level, he's playing at an all-time level. Over the last five weeks, he's averaging 303.6 passing yards per game with 14 touchdowns and one interception while completing 71.7 percent of his passes. The Chargers have won all five games. Rivers figures to stay hot Sunday against a Chiefs defense lacking talent at the corner positions.

He's playing really good - but no, he's not the best qb in the game right now. Not even in the top 3.

Philip Rivers has recorded a passer rating of 120.0 or more in five straight games, an NFL record.

Rivers isn't just playing at an MVP level, he's playing at an all-time level. Over the last five weeks, he's averaging 303.6 passing yards per game with 14 touchdowns and one interception while completing 71.7 percent of his passes. The Chargers have won all five games. Rivers figures to stay hot Sunday against a Chiefs defense lacking talent at the corner positions.

Yeah, because he is going to keep this pace up the entire season.

Personally, I'd trade him right now while he's at maximum value for a slight downgrade in QB and upgrade some other position, but that's just me.

k cool insight

You've clearly got a homer hard-on for Rivers and you're desperately trying to find someone to take a lick of his cack too.... He's on a hot streak right now, agreed. Streaks come and go, especially with him. Until he can sustain it over a longer period of time, it will remain just a streak.
  • Like 1

Rivers may not be the best QB in the game, but at least he has a sweet looking release :shocking: Dude throws like a T-Rex! An accurate T-Rex!

Rivers may not be the best QB in the game, but at least he has a sweet looking release :shocking: Dude throws like a T-Rex! An accurate T-Rex!

This! So much this. I hate the way he throws the ball, It's like he just pushes his arm forward like a spaz.

Scored a trade for him last night in my work league (guy has Peyton too). Super stoked that I finally get off the Foles/Stafford circle jerk.

What did you give up?

I can get Rivers for Emanuel Sanders right now. Really considering it

You've clearly got a homer hard-on for Rivers and you're desperately trying to find someone to take a lick of his cack too.... He's on a hot streak right now, agreed. Streaks come and go, especially with him. Until he can sustain it over a longer period of time, it will remain just a streak.

I guess 10 yrs isnt a long enough period of time

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career.htm

he has the 3rd highest QB rating of all-time, ahead of Brees, Brady, Young and Warner

only Rodgers and Peyton are higher, thats career btw.

And what he is doing is unprescedented, a QB rating of 120+ in 5 straight games has never happened, I feel he is arguably the best QB playing right now, and cant see any way how anyone would rate him outside the top 3

I guess 10 yrs isnt a long enough period of time

10 years of what, being just a pretty good qb? He has been pretty good - so what? At no point and time has he ever been dominant or the best, not even remotely close.

he has the 3rd highest QB rating of all-time, ahead of Brees, Brady, Young and Warner

Again, so what? By your logic Rivers is better than those you mention - plus Johnny Unitas, Roger Staubach, Dan Fouts, Warren Moon, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre, Dan Marino, John Elway - and some guy named Montana.... Fact of the matter is Rivers is very average when it comes to crunch time. His mediocre post season resume of wins and 85.2 passer rating is proof enough of that. At least make sure the guy has accomplished something of value, other than a passer rating grade, before you start comparing him to the likes of those HOF's mentioned.

And what he is doing is unprescedented, a QB rating of 120+ in 5 straight games has never happened, I feel he is arguably the best QB playing right now, and cant see any way how anyone would rate him outside the top 3

I'm sure you can find all kinds of "unprecedented" type stats for guys during stretches of 6 weeks. Wake me up when he is still doing it in the postseason.

Brady or Maddox?

ok, realize that i am a steeler fan, but also realize that this is an un-biased opinion. these r my true thoughts on tommy gun this year, and i fully expect him to prove me right.
first of all, there is no quarterback, and there hasnt been since warner in 1999 w/ as many weapons in the passing game as tommy has this year. hines ward is the most polished wr in football, and plaxico burress is going to show this year how elite of a wr he really is. these guys both will have 12-15 tds each, and both will eclipse 1,300 yds receiving, w/ plax closer to 1,600. randle el in the slot is absolutely impossible to cover 1 on 1 w/out a shut down corner, and u cannott afford that w/ the 2 elite wrs lined up outside. randle el will be good for 500-700 yds receiving this year, and a couple of trick plays as well. zereoue out of the back field will be a huge upgrade over bettis between the 20s, and he has developed into an outstanding receiver and they will find ways to get him the ball through the air. he should get 400-600 yds receiving. rhiemersma is a huge upgrade over bruener as the starting te. rhiemersma is a polished wr, and can make tough catches and keep a linebacker honest at all times, giving maddox more time to throw w/ less blitzes. i look for rhiemersma to accumulate 450-600 yds receiving as well. of course the other backs, fullbacks, and tes, and wrs will get a handfull of catches and yds as well.when u add all of these #s together, u start to realize that tommy maddox will have some serious weapons to throw to this season. he is healthy, confident, playing for a contract, and poised to take this offense to the next level. there will be no defense capable of stopping, or even slowing down this juggernaut.bottom line, maddox can break the all time passing yds record if he stays healthy, and im boldly predicting him for 5,000+ yards passing this season. teams predictions:
maddox: 5,100 yds passing, 36-38 tds, 150 yds rushing, 0-1 tds.
zereoue: 1,100 yds rushing, 4-6 tds, 400-600 yds receiving, 2-3 tds.
bettis: 400-500 yds rushing, 6-8 tds, 100-150 yds receiving, 0 tds.
ward: 110 receptions, 1,350-1,400 yds, 13-15 tds
and a handful of rushing yds)
burress: 85-90 catches, 1,500-1,700 yds, 12-14 tds
randle el: 500-700 yds receiving, 3-5 tds
rhiemersma: 400-500 yds receiving, 2-4 tds
rest of backs/wrs/tes: 300-400 yds receiving, 2-4 tds.
this may seem like its high balling, but ive been doing this for a while, and i see this offense as unbelievably special, and motivated to prove how dominant they can be. u heard it here first, maddox will have a special year in 2003. get him in the last year that hes available after rd 2...

ok, realize that i am a steeler fan, but also realize that this is an un-biased opinion. these r my true thoughts on tommy gun this year, and i fully expect him to prove me right.
first of all, there is no quarterback, and there hasnt been since warner in 1999 w/ as many weapons in the passing game as tommy has this year. hines ward is the most polished wr in football, and plaxico burress is going to show this year how elite of a wr he really is. these guys both will have 12-15 tds each, and both will eclipse 1,300 yds receiving, w/ plax closer to 1,600. randle el in the slot is absolutely impossible to cover 1 on 1 w/out a shut down corner, and u cannott afford that w/ the 2 elite wrs lined up outside. randle el will be good for 500-700 yds receiving this year, and a couple of trick plays as well. zereoue out of the back field will be a huge upgrade over bettis between the 20s, and he has developed into an outstanding receiver and they will find ways to get him the ball through the air. he should get 400-600 yds receiving. rhiemersma is a huge upgrade over bruener as the starting te. rhiemersma is a polished wr, and can make tough catches and keep a linebacker honest at all times, giving maddox more time to throw w/ less blitzes. i look for rhiemersma to accumulate 450-600 yds receiving as well. of course the other backs, fullbacks, and tes, and wrs will get a handfull of catches and yds as well.when u add all of these #s together, u start to realize that tommy maddox will have some serious weapons to throw to this season. he is healthy, confident, playing for a contract, and poised to take this offense to the next level. there will be no defense capable of stopping, or even slowing down this juggernaut.bottom line, maddox can break the all time passing yds record if he stays healthy, and im boldly predicting him for 5,000+ yards passing this season. teams predictions:
maddox: 5,100 yds passing, 36-38 tds, 150 yds rushing, 0-1 tds.
zereoue: 1,100 yds rushing, 4-6 tds, 400-600 yds receiving, 2-3 tds.
bettis: 400-500 yds rushing, 6-8 tds, 100-150 yds receiving, 0 tds.
ward: 110 receptions, 1,350-1,400 yds, 13-15 tds
and a handful of rushing yds)
burress: 85-90 catches, 1,500-1,700 yds, 12-14 tds
randle el: 500-700 yds receiving, 3-5 tds
rhiemersma: 400-500 yds receiving, 2-4 tds
rest of backs/wrs/tes: 300-400 yds receiving, 2-4 tds.
this may seem like its high balling, but ive been doing this for a while, and i see this offense as unbelievably special, and motivated to prove how dominant they can be. u heard it here first, maddox will have a special year in 2003. get him in the last year that hes available after rd 2...

It could still happen

10 years of what, being just a pretty good qb? He has been pretty good - so what? At no point and time has he ever been dominant or the best, not even remotely close.

Again, so what? By your logic Rivers is better than those you mention - plus Johnny Unitas, Roger Staubach, Dan Fouts, Warren Moon, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre, Dan Marino, John Elway - and some guy named Montana.... Fact of the matter is Rivers is very average when it comes to crunch time. His mediocre post season resume of wins and 85.2 passer rating is proof enough of that. At least make sure the guy has accomplished something of value, other than a passer rating grade, before you start comparing him to the likes of those HOF's mentioned.

I'm sure you can find all kinds of "unprecedented" type stats for guys during stretches of 6 weeks. Wake me up when he is still doing it in the postseason.

I only listed QB during this era, the only guy you list that played in same ERA is Farve, and I would argue that Rivers is = or better than him easily. Again at the beginning of this thread, I said the way he is playing right now, but according to you QB winning SB's is really what matters, so Eli and Roethlisberger are far better, so are Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson

I only listed QB during this era, the only guy you list that played in same ERA is Farve, and I would argue that Rivers is = or better than him easily.

Wow - the kool aid has really done a number on you. I guess Canton should start working on the Rivers bust now... :rolleyes:

I hope he's not the best in the league, I just traded him!

What did you give up?
I can get Rivers for Emanuel Sanders right now. Really considering it

Work league so not hugely competitive nor that knowledgable (keep that in mind)

Guy has Peyton and Rivers. I offered Stafford and Edelman for Rivers and Roddy (he needs help at WR and RB). I knew I was lowballing him at the start but let him know to counter if he wanted someone different. I figured he'd make a play for Forte or L. Bell or Julio. To my surprise he countered with Rivers and Randle for Edelman and Antone Smith (who I just acquired off waivers). I accepted quickly before he changed his mind.

Yeah, there's some of my DNA on him............ :ninja:

lol someone arguing for QB rating. That makes Tony Romo the 5th best QB of all time. It makes Pennington 12th, Schaub 13th (haha), Culpepper 14th and the list goes on.

There is no way you will ever convince me Pennington, Schaub and Culpepper are better than Otto Graham (18), Marino (19), Jim Kelly (28), Staubach (32), Warren Moon (52) and John Elway (63).

Just no. I'm not putting Romo and Rivers ahead of Brady and Peyton either.

Nobody with a functioning knowledge of football will ever agree with your take.

lol someone arguing for QB rating. That makes Tony Romo the 5th best QB of all time. It makes Pennington 12th, Schaub 13th (haha), Culpepper 14th and the list goes on.

There is no way you will ever convince me Pennington, Schaub and Culpepper are better than Otto Graham (18), Marino (19), Jim Kelly (28), Staubach (32), Warren Moon (52) and John Elway (63).

Just no. I'm not putting Romo and Rivers ahead of Brady and Peyton either.

Nobody with a functioning knowledge of football will ever agree with your take.

I only used all time numbers when he said this is just a streak, and he didnt have the track record

I dont put Rivers ahead of Brady or Peyton all-time

This year I put Rivers on par with Peyton and Rodgers, and ahead of Brady

Wow - the kool aid has really done a number on you. I guess Canton should start working on the Rivers bust now... :rolleyes:

Rivers has better numbers/yr than Farve accross, the board, Farve threw the most INT's in NFL history as well, the thing about Farve though is his best season came at age 40

Rivers has better numbers/yr than Farve accross, the board, Farve threw the most INT's in NFL history as well, the thing about Farve though is his best season came at age 40

Favre won a Superbowl. Well actually Desmond Howard won it but nevertheless Favre has a ring...

Favre won a Superbowl. Well actually Desmond Howard won it but nevertheless Favre has a ring...

Yeah...that Favre had a horrible day that game.

BTW...for this thread...Rodgers again says hi.

18-1 TD:INT on the year.

Only 3 incompletions today.

I traded for him this week :clap:

Traded Garcon and Bradshaw for Rivers and H. Miller.

the rivers owner had Wilson and would have started RIvers had he not traded him.

his team got high week and I need 22 from Brown/Foster to win this week :wall:

Since #'s seem to be the back bone of your qb hierarchy - nice 83.4 rating and a loss, at home, against a really average football team. Maybe we can hold up on the HOF induction speech...

Since #'s seem to be the back bone of your qb hierarchy - nice 83.4 rating and a loss, at home, against a really average football team. Maybe we can hold up on the HOF induction speech...

I never said he was a HOF, and yah he had a down game, all I said is that when i started the thread, he was playing as the best QB at the time.

I never said he was a HOF, and yah he had a down game, all I said is that when i started the thread, he was playing as the best QB at the time.

You said Rivers was the best qb in the game right now, it's even in the title of this thread.... Clearly he's not.

You said Rivers was the best qb in the game right now, it's even in the title of this thread.... Clearly he's not.

I said Philip Rivers best qb in the game right now?

read the title again, it was a question, I then went on to say how he is playing

he still has a 17-3 turnover ratio

Rodgers is 18-2 turnover ratio

Manning is 19-4 turnover ratio

all are over 110 QBr

Manning and Rivers are 8.5 ypa

Rodgers despite all the bombs only a 7.93 ypa

Rivers also doesnt have any receivers with tackle breaking or take it to the house speed

I said Philip Rivers best qb in the game right now?

read the title again, it was a question...

Do you understand what a rhetorical question is? You didn't ask seeking honest opinions, your mind was already made up. What you were actually doing was fishing, trolling desperately for anyone to agree with you.

Do you understand what a rhetorical question is? You didn't ask seeking honest opinions, your mind was already made up. What you were actually doing was fishing, trolling desperately for anyone to agree with you.

thanks for telling me what I was doing, it wasnt a rhetorical question, it was a legitimate question, one that I was ready to discuss

but I understand, everything on this site is for trolling and bitching, its very hard to get an actual conversation going without a bunch of dickhead responses

6 yrs ago I created a Jay Cutler most overrated QB ever thread and got the same type of responses.

thanks for telling me what I was doing, it wasnt a rhetorical question, it was a legitimate question..

No it wasn't, as proof by your defensiveness when anyone suggests he's not.

But I do agree about the trolling and whatnot - it's a beating. Then again, it's really hard to take you too serious if you are insistent that Rivers is a better qb than Favre - and I'm far from a Favre/Packers fan for sure.

Fillup River will never win a super bowl, ever. He won't even make it to a super bowl.

No it wasn't, as proof by your defensiveness when anyone suggests he's not.

But I do agree about the trolling and whatnot - it's a beating. Then again, it's really hard to take you too serious if you are insistent that Rivers is a better qb than Favre - and I'm far from a Favre/Packers fan for sure.

I think hes a better QB than Favre, Favre was a reckless gunslinger akin to the days of the 80's and 90's, alot of his stats are due to longevity.

regular 3 int games wouldnt last in todays game

as for Super Bowls, measuring a QB based on SB appearances is stupid. Manning is the best QB of all-time, even if he chokes in the playoffs. Play nothing but top notch teams in the playoffs thats gonna happen

I think hes a better QB than Favre, Favre was a reckless gunslinger akin to the days of the 80's and 90's, alot of his stats are due to longevity.

as for Super Bowls, measuring a QB based on SB appearances is stupid. Manning is the best QB of all-time, even if he chokes in the playoffs. Play nothing but top notch teams in the playoffs thats gonna happen

No. The best anything does not wilt up when it matters most. That's a silly statement. There's more to playing their game than the stat numbers we use to play our game.

Rivers is a good qb, on a great streak this year. If Flacco can "win" a sb so can Rivers. Not on Favres level, though.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you? Did you watch much football back in the 80's and 90's?

In "today's" game, Favre would prolly be even more dominant and impressive. "Today's" game has rules that bend over backwards to encourage offense and heavily favors the wr's. "Today's" game makes it so much easier for the QB to excel - yet, in "today's" game P. Rivers still can't muster even 1 MVP. Oh by the way, Favre has 3.

Nobody said anything about SBs. But given the choice, yea - SBs weigh far more heavier than QB rating stats....... Being the best (or a better) QB takes into account everything: stats, wins, cruch time performance and the culture they create. Phillip Rivers is so far down the list of all time greats, you have to turn to page 2. Even in "today's" game - he barely makes top 5 discussion.

HIs TD to INT ratio for his career is right up there with guys like Elway.

He was more than just a reckless guy with the ball.

His stats are due to him being focking great in the time he played and the ability to play at a high level for that long.

Rivers can't hold Favre's jock.

Favre...top 10 all time...easily.

Rivers? Not even close.