Sign in to follow this  
Gratefulegg1973

Lesean McCoy: Biggest Bust in FF History?

Someone made mention of this in the Bust of the Year thread. It got me thinking, McCoy really may be the biggest bust in the history of fantasy football.

No injury. No suspension. No change in offense, coaching, system, etc.

Drafted in the top 3 of nearly every draft.

Dude is a flat out scrub. Literally unstartable.

Can anyone think of anyone in years past that comes close?

huh not even close isnt he 6th in rushing? :cry:

Nope. Try 17th in standard and PPR leagues according to footballguys.com and 18th according to espn.

Definitely a bust.

Google "biggest busts in FF history..."

McCoy might be leading this year's biggest busts, but there've been plenty of bigger duds.

Someone made mention of this in the Bust of the Year thread. It got me thinking, McCoy really may be the biggest bust in the history of fantasy football.

It happens

You make some great points on no outside factors causing him to bust. He essentially I believe may have peaked and instead of a steady decline in performance it was abrupt. It happens to all great backs but just usually you can tell it's coming

I stayed away from McCoy this year for two reasons:

1. Sproles. He is just too good to keep off the field.

2. I was suspicious that he had a foot/toe injury that might linger, which I still believe is likely the case.

• Like 1

2. I was suspicious that he had a foot/toe injury that might linger, which I still believe is likely the case.

Charles or Shady for me, in that order. Both fell to me and I got Charles, but I can't critisize anyone who drafted Shady. I would have too and would've been happy to get him. How far away could anyone stay from being tempted by Shady? Late 1st round at most?

hes not even the biggest bust RB this year

Monte Ball

Toby Gerhart

Doug Martin

Adrian Peterson

Reggie Bust

Non injury suspension etc

How far away could anyone stay from being tempted by Shady? Late 1st round at most?

Oh, definitely, I would have taken him in the late first. However, in leagues where I had a chance to draft early, I eschewed him in favor of Peyton....and am glad I did (thus far).

He's not even remotely the biggest bust this year let alone all time. Even with scoring no tds this year his yardage isn't terrible. He's a bust for sure, but not the biggest this year or all time. Watch, if he finishes the year with one huge game he will finish top 12 and everyone will remember him as an rb1 this year.

He def has to be up there...had I had a number 1 pick he would have been my guy...glad I didnt....even with sproles I would have made that pick....have to be disappointed with not even 100 receiving yards yet

Come on, he's been fairly productive in the last 4 weeks. Certainly not living up to his draft spot, but he is far from unplayable. He certainly hasn't blown up for a monster game this year though.

GNB, TEN and DAL defenses look like good matchups over the next 3 weeks. I'd still plug him in the lineup if I had him.

He's hardly a full on bust.

M. Ball, or A. Peterson are way bigger busts than McCoy for example.

Why does everything have to be labeled as the "best ever", "greatest in history"..... Can't we just all agree that McCoy has been a huge bust as a consensus top three pick this season and leave it at that? Let's save the superlatives for events that are truly special.

Why does everything have to be labeled as the "best ever", "greatest in history"..... Can't we just all agree that McCoy has been a huge bust as a consensus top three pick this season and leave it at that? Let's save the superlatives for events that are truly special.

Season isn't over yet, lets say McCoy wasn't overly productive this season and his numbers have been pretty pedestrian so far, but in week 16 he blows up and helps his owner win a FF championship...I'd say from that perspective he's not a bust. Relative to his draft spot, he's not delivered expected value, but a bust implies he has NO VALUE in a FF context. Which he does.

Edit: I still don't see how people can say McCoy is a bigger bust than Ray Rice, Peterson, or Ball for example. At least McCoy is still producing some numbers each week.

Season isn't over yet, lets say McCoy wasn't overly productive this season and his numbers have been pretty pedestrian so far, but in week 16 he blows up and helps his owner win a FF championship...I'd say from that perspective he's not a bust. Relative to his draft spot, he's not delivered expected value, but a bust implies he has NO VALUE in a FF context. Which he does.

Edit: I still don't see how people can say McCoy is a bigger bust than Ray Rice, Peterson, or Ball for example. At least McCoy is still producing some numbers each week.

It really depends on how you define bust. If FF terms, you have to define it in terms of production relative to draft position. If McCoy was drafted as an RB2 or RB3 nobody would be talking about him as a bust and he may be considered an overachiever if your hypothetical scenario occurred.

A lot of people will give a pass for injury/suspension because a guy obviously can't put up any numbers if he is not on the field. Additionally, when you know that a guy is out, you can work to find a replacement. That's actually a little more palatable than seeing your guy under-perform week after week fearing that he will blow up the week you send him to the bench.

• Like 1

Standard scoring in my league -in fantasy points he is tied with Hill of Cinn. That spells BUST in any league. I also thought it was injury - I knew Sproles would take some away from him. Sproles 8 yard touchdown run he made it look easy, Shady makes everything look really really hard and in slow motion.

Dominik Williams/Davis

Steve Slaton

Dom Davis was only a bust for people who did no research. He had a monster year previous due to PPR, but there were reports all summer that his leg was not right and would probably never be right, yet ESPN still hyped him to top 3 overall.

If you're going to say biggest/worst/blah blah then suspensions and injuries do count.

Losing your number two pick overall due to a suspension all season is far worse than having a guy perform fairly decent all season.

Like it or not, McCoy is still putting up solid RB2 numbers.

Newsflash OP: Overreactions mirroring talking heads on BSPN don't bring any good info to anyone.

• Like 1

Oh...and no change in offense? So Herremans, Kelce, and Mathis all getting hurt throughout the season doesnt constitute as a change from a season ago?

• Like 1

Ha! NE QB Tom Brady the year after he broke the TD record. What did he play - one half???

People were saying Brady was the biggest FF bust 4 games into this season and dumping him to the WW!

I guess considering we're just over 1/2 way done the season, people should just relax. A lot of yards and TD's can be scored in the second 1/2.

People were saying Brady was the biggest FF bust 4 games into this season and dumping him to the WW!

Tell me about it. I scooped Brady up after somebody dropped him following his benching earlier in the year (I already have Peyton), and just traded him to a QB-hungry owner for Demaryius Thomas.

Tell me about it. I scooped Brady up after somebody dropped him following his benching earlier in the year (I already have Peyton), and just traded him to a QB-hungry owner for Demaryius Thomas.

People panic and pull the trigger on trades and WW moves for good players way too early in the season. Usually the only way I flat out dump a player I drafted is if they're injured.

Interestngly enough, in my league, Brady owner panicked and dumped him to another owner after week 4, along with McCoy for RG3 and some scrubs, and now the Brady/McCoy owner is tied for the division lead at 7-3. The other (former) Brady owner is 2-8. He'd likely be 4-6 and very much fighting for a playoff spot if he'd kept Brady and McCoy. (Yes there are only 2 winning teams in my division, a 6-6 team will likely get in).

I wouldn't say he's been a complete bust, definitely been a disappointment for those that drafted him. I targeted him as a buy low candidate a few weeks ago, after Ridley got hurt and vareen had a big game, and got him as a throw in to make it TY Hilton and shady for vereen and Ahmad Bradshaw. Shady has gone from the 26th ranked rb to the 17th since, hopefully the trend continues as their o line gets healthy

Well you guys make some good points. However, I can't recall many top 3 overall picks that have plummeted so far in performance without injury, suspension, a new team, massive personnel changes, etc.

To the guys saying that an injury or suspension is worse, I disagree. I drafted AP in another league at #3. And while it sucks, I was able to somewhat replace that production with my backups, waiver adds, etc. It's not like you're leaving that suspended player in your lineup week after week. But McCoy has been in every week. 2 TDs in 9 weeks. Less than 100yds receiving. 2 100yd games. That is dreadful.

I remember one year Kordell Stewart went #3 overall in my league after his 'breakout' year. he was terrible.

I agree with #2. I think after the season we'll find out he's been battling a toe/foot injury all year. He's a young RB with not nearly as much mileage as most big name RB's. Something is causing him to not get off the line quickly and I'll bet it's the same issue we heard in the preseason "wouldn't become an issue" during the regular season.