• Please log in to reply
483 replies to this topic

#481 TimmySmith

TimmySmith

FF Geek

• Members
  • 16,121 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:52 PM

Hmm, I know people hated Romo, but to me that guy was fun to watch. Especially when the O-line was crap and hed have to scramble for his life. At least I had a feeling that we could compete and win any game. And that came with the understanding that Romo may crap the bed and choke in the 4th. But as time went on Romo put all that to rest.

I do believe a lot of better ran organizations couldve won a Super Bowl with Romo. Give Dallas Rodgers, Gurley, and Antonio Brown and theyd still find a way to lose.

I will give Romo his due as a great QB, and a couple of those years were exciting.

“We’ve fulfilled far more promises than we’ve promised,” the president said. “I call it promises plus.”

#482 Gepetto

Gepetto

FF Geek

• Members
  • 15,983 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:17 PM

I said they should have never declared Dak the starter when Romo got healthy.  Offense is terrible and uninspiring now.

#483 jgcrawfish

jgcrawfish

FF Geek

• Members
  • 13,874 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:39 PM

People hated Romo?

My impression was that most people who viewed him negatively saw him as 1) more than a bit magoo, and 2) prone to throw games away on bad errors, but 3) generally a good QB. Was never gonna get them to the SB, but was pretty good. Why do you say people hated him?

People hated Romo because Cowboys fans do Cowboys fan stuff.  I'll put it this way, as a Steelers fan I think Big Ben is good, really good.  But a no point in his entire career have I ever thought he was the best QB in the league.  When you're comparing him to guys like Brady, Brees and Rodgers, he's going to fall short.  He's got near-HOF credentials, but again will pale in comparison to the truly great QB's.  

Cowboys fans painted Romo to be the second coming of Joe Montana, and did so relentlessly.  You couldn't talk to a Cowboys fan without him trying to convince you that he was the best QB in the league, despite tons of evidence to the contrary.  Same with Dez..."best receiver in the game" and crap.  It's the delusions of the fanbase that taint the image of the players.  Romo was a big victim of this.  My stance on Romo softened over the years because I saw him for what he was...a very heady, very talented QB on a very flawed team.  It wasn't his fault they lost to the Eagles that year in the playoffs, Romo played his ass off.  It was his fault his team put up 52 points but the defense gave up 55 to Indy.  Had Jerry not run off Bill Parcels it's completely conceivable that this could have a championship team.  But Jerry's hubris gives people ammo to hate the Cowboys.  

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

#484 sirensong

sirensong

FF Geek

• Members
  • 3,228 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:55 PM

People hated Romo?

My impression was that most people who viewed him negatively saw him as 1) more than a bit magoo, and 2) prone to throw games away on bad errors, but 3) generally a good QB. Was never gonna get them to the SB, but was pretty good. Why do you say people hated him?

because people hated him.  his impossible miracle comebacks far outnumbered the few games he lost on bad throws, and he was the only arrow in the quiver.  it was that simple--if he didn't miracle up wins, the cowboys lost.  he'd put up a 30+ point game, the defense would give it away, and people would still blame him.  and he always accepted the blame, never, ever, ever blaming anyone else.

he wasn't a first-ballot HOFer like rodgers or brees, but educated NFL analysts consistently called him one of the best QBs in the league.  he kept a garbage team playoff-relevant until his body could no longer take the punishment.