Sign in to follow this  
robblockamyeir

Does anyone trust Tony Romo as a fantasy starter?

ok...i am not targeting him but i can tell you i have learned in the past if you draft a qb early like rounds 1 or 2 you spend the rest of the draft chasing rbs and wrs. i am not going to be that guy i rather be able to get solid rbs and wrs i might start looking round 5 to get my starting qb after i get solid starting rbs and wrs....

Yes and no explanation needed. History tells you this

Romo is EXACTLY what you want in the risk/reward balance of a fantasy draft.

4900 yds last year?

Public opinion of him low.

Terrific targets to throw to.

I'll take Romo all day in the 7/8 round.

Did this last night. People literally laughed at me as if he is Mark Sanchez. I was like did you even look at his stats from last year? Dez, Austin, Witten, Murray, that's a nice set of offensive weapons. It's not quite Atlanta but not far from it. I think the best QB left on the board when I drafted was Stafford and Russell Wilson (who I drafted 2 rounds later). So not really sure what everyone was laughing at other than as you said public opinion.

Did this last night. People literally laughed at me as if he is Mark Sanchez. I was like did you even look at his stats from last year? Dez, Austin, Witten, Murray, that's a nice set of offensive weapons. It's not quite Atlanta but not far from it. I think the best QB left on the board when I drafted was Stafford and Russell Wilson (who I drafted 2 rounds later). So not really sure what everyone was laughing at other than as you said public opinion.

A romo drafter has the luxury of his sideshow and late season failures dragging his value down in the eyes of many drafters. Hell I bet in their heads he sstill the guy attached to Jessica Simpson and botching the snap. Draft him, start him, reap the rewards and 3 td games as long as you can.

This is a solid breakdown. Romo's 2nd half was on par with Rodgers #s. I guess his first equally poor.

I love his weapons...my only concern is the new play calling...looks to be more run heavy but they will still sling it around.

IMO, the playcalling will actually help his numbers. a drop in yardage (he's not going to hit 4900 again), but an increase in TDs and a significant decrease in INTs. romo's bad games (usually 2 a year) always happen when he tries to do too much and therefore forces the ball. one of the bright spots of preseason was seeing him throw the ball away in bad situations--something he hasn't been willing to do in the past.

also, the CIN game showed that the cowboys may be looking at the short passing game as a substitute for a poor run game. early on, when the cowboys couldn't get anything going on the ground, they clicked over to the short pass and had some good success. this is an option that dallas hasn't had in the past, since their passing offense was geared exclusively toward attacking downfield.

Dez, Austin, Witten, Murray, that's a nice set of offensive weapons. It's not quite Atlanta but not far from it.

they're arguably better than atlanta. the problem has been injuries--they seldom are all playing full speed at the same time--and offensive line play.

before the draft, romo asked JJ for an extra half-second in the pocket, and told him that he would make it worth it. jones took him at his word. we'll see what happens.

So every person on this bored is going to draft Romo as their qb is what it's looking like. I am going to not draft Romo and take someone who I think has top five potential and not just settle for the tenth best guy.

I think what people are saying is that, beyond Brees, Rodgers, & maybe P.Manning, there are 7-10 guys who are capable of filling in that top five. And Romo is one of them. And he is able to be had a few rounds later than the Ryan, Newton, Kaepernick types. That's a few rounds you can beef up the rest of your roster.

The great thing is you don't really have to trust him. Draft him late then turn around and grab a backup next round. You'll end up with something like Romo and Eli. Or Romo and Vick if you can stomach risk. If Romo falters you've got another guy that should get you by.

So every person on this bored is going to draft Romo as their qb is what it's looking like. I am going to not draft Romo and take someone who I think has top five potential and not just settle for the tenth best guy.

well, that's an economic decision. your top-5 potential guy is going to cost a lot in terms of draft currency. some people want to spend in different ways.

Unlike you they probably looked at the game logs for the past few years and noticed how worthless Romo is in fantasy when it matters.

Man I can just imagine your team, you also took McFadden right?

10 QBs off the board yesterday, and I took Stafford over Romo. Coin toss, really; I had both of them rated above several of the players already taken. Romo went 3 picks later to a very happy owner who also enjoyed how the waiting game worked out.

I nabbed Romo in the 12th rd of our draft Saturday. I had taken Rodgers in the 4th so I didn't really need him but in the 12th Rd I couldn't pass him up. I don't have to worry about my starting QB even if Rodgers goes down and I've got some nice trade bait if someone elses QB bites it.

Dallas in fact ranked 3rd in passing offense last year, Atlanta 6th.

I have no idea why Luck, Kaepernick, Wilson or Stafford for example are getting so much more love over Romo this year. I'm quite happy they are because I have him ranked 5th but grabbed him as the 10th QB off the board.

Great value.

Not to mention the fact that Dallas has the #1 easiest schedule against the pass this year.

Denver has the #2 easiest schedule (drafted Peyton R1/2Qb league :banana: )

I'm not understanding how anyone can knock Romo fantasy wise. He's been a Top 10 QB every year since 2007. He only played 6 games in 2010 but was in the Top 10 when he got hurt.

Dez Bryant is poised to be Megatron-like-unstoppable this year. Romo could have his best year this year.

Unlike you they probably looked at the game logs for the past few years and noticed how worthless Romo is in fantasy when it matters.

When does it matter in fantasy?? He went for 26-43/416/3 in Week 16 last year.

Your an idiot. 4900 yards is 4900 yards. His game logs are good enough to win you a championship. Period and do you not project to following year pOtential? Dez, austin, whitten, murray all healthy how much better can you get from one team?

Is this your first year playing?

When does it matter in fantasy?? He went for 26-43/416/3 in Week 16 last year.

Its his first year. That's only thing I can figure.

Your an idiot. 4900 yards is 4900 yards. His game logs are good enough to win you a championship. Period and do you not project to following year pOtential? Dez, austin, whitten, murray all healthy how much better can you get from one team?

Is this your first year playing?

Psssst. When calling someone an idiot, use the right 'you're". It strengthens your case.

Psssst. When calling someone an idiot, use the right 'you're". It strengthens your case.

You used an apostrophe and THEN a quotation.....just saying.

Haha

Haha

:lol:

Haha

Wait. What?

use the right 'you're".

LETS GET NITPICKY!!!!!!!! :banana:

I generally couldn't care less about spelling and grammar. But when a poster wants to get confrontational and start calling people idiots just because they don't agree on a fantasy football issue, I think that it's important that the one doing the name calling knows fourth grade grammar. That's all. :dunno:

I generally couldn't care less about spelling and grammar. But when a poster wants to get confrontational and start calling people idiots just because they don't agree on a fantasy football issue, I think that it's important that the one doing the name calling knows fourth grade grammar. That's all. :dunno:

Read back and see who was confrontational first. Playing the grammar card is a classic. Nice play son.

4900 yards 29 TD's Miles was gimpy, Dez didn't get going till the 2nd half... no 3rd WR, oline was worse, Murry hurt, now not and Dumber looking like a world beater, plus the rook... To me that sounds like 35+ TD's

4900 yards 29 TD's Miles was gimpy, Dez didn't get going till the 2nd half... no 3rd WR, oline was worse, Murry hurt, now not and Dumber looking like a world beater, plus the rook... To me that sounds like 35+ TD's

Don't forget Whitten injury made him a decoy first month of last season.

I've landed Romo as a wait for QB candidate in my high bonus league (standard) and tonight in my PPR 4 pt TD's league.

I'm incredibly happy with him. I have Romo/Wilson and Romo/Flacco. I stacked up on RB's and WR's and quality players while everyone else drafted the likes of Brees/Rodgers/Brady/Cam/Caep/etc. earlier. Nabbed Cobb/Vjax in the 4th/5th as I waited on QB.

Hope he kills it this year.

I was curious how uncommon it is for a QB to throw for 4900 (ish) yards but less then 30 TDs.

Here's the list of single season passing yardage leaders that Romo finds himself on AND how many TDs were thrown with all those yards.

TDs can be fickle for all players - as fantasy GMs, all we can really do is look for players with the most opportunity and hope that the opportunity turns into yards/TDS/fantasy points at the average (or expected) rate.

1. Drew Brees 46TDs 5,476 2011 NOR 2. Tom Brady 39 5,235 2011 NWE 3. Drew Brees 43 5,177 2012 NOR 4. Dan Marino 48 5,084 1984 MIA 5. Drew Brees 34 5,069 2008 NOR 6. Matthew Stafford 41 5,038 2011 DET 7. Matthew Stafford 20 4,967 2012 DET 8. Eli Manning 29 4,933 2011 NYG 9. Tony Romo 29 4,903 2012 DAL 10. Kurt Warner (30) 4,830 2001 STL 11. Tom Brady 34 4,827 2012 NWE 12. Tom Brady 50 4,806 2007 NWE 13. Dan Fouts 33 4,802 1981 SDG

Don't forget Whitten injury made him a decoy first month of last season.

Great call. I had no idea about this. Might help explain his slow start.

I drafted Romo and Vick

I grabbed Romo as the 9th qb off the board.....backed him up with Shaub a couple rounds later (VS Oakland during Romos bye week)

Nothing wrong with Romo....should be solid. Ill put it this way....if you lose...probably wont because you had Romo as your QB.

Great call. I had no idea about this. Might help explain his slow start.

yeah--witten had difficulty running, and dropped 2 sure TDs in those first 4 games. the man is a warrior, but he just wasn't right physically.

as belicheck put it, witten is the engine that makes garrett's offense work. losing him for a month, along with dez not really getting it until midseason, really put a dent in romo's numbers. i don't want to see a 5000yd season for romo (because that would mean the run game is crap again), but it's certainly a realistic possibility. especially adding williams (#1 receiver in the NCAA last year) to the mix, along with the new TE packages featuring witten/hanna/escobar.

i'd put romo's ceiling at 5000/40, and his floor at 4300/28. realistic expectation is somewhere in the middle--4600/32 would be a good projection IMO.

As an Eagle's fan, it pains me to say this.....but I drafted Romo as my QB1. And I also have Dez Bryant. And I feel damn good about both. (but only from a fantasy perspective)

As an Eagle's fan, it pains me to say this.....but I drafted Romo as my QB1. And I also have Dez Bryant. And I feel damn good about both. (but only from a fantasy perspective)

My wife yelled at me during the draft while the guys were around. (Big Eagles Fan) I told her to sut up and make me a sammich. When she got back with my sammich, I drafted Vick for her to even the karma.

His numbers last season said "yes".

What's the issue here with taking a QB that threw for 4,900 yards?

Other questions that might be related to this topic:

Is he going to finish in the top 3 this season?

No

Is he going to throw for more than 40 TD?

No

Is he going to take the cowboys to the superbowl?

Irrelevant in Fantasy Football

Is his production going to be consistent throughout the season?

As consistent as what he has done the past 5 seasons.

i know that took a lot to admit.

do you need a hug?

:overhead:

i know that took a lot to admit.

do you need a hug?

:overhead:

But I also have McCoy. So I don't feel quite as bad. ;)