Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Should the Beastie Boys get in the Rock & Roll HoF?

I'm just wondering why gocolts called them a one hit wonder

I know...I was trying to figure out which one...Fight For Your Right I guess.

Also, they are getting in to those of you who didn't connect that part. They are going in with the rest of the with the 2011 class...includes the RHCP. :music_guitarred:

Lol, The Jackson 5 got in. This opened the door to anybody with a music video or two in. Like Rod Stewart for example.

So why not the Beastie Boys? :dunno:

Because they don't play instruments and it's not ROCK,...too bad the Hall doesn't follow these simple common sense guidelines.

Because they don't play instruments and it's not ROCK,...too bad the Hall doesn't follow these simple common sense guidelines.

They do (sometimes) play instruments and they started out as a hard core band.

Did rush get in or are they still the Jim rice of music?

As Canadian Jews they are not eligible. :banana:

They do (sometimes) play instruments and they started out as a hard core band.

They have an album, The Mix Up, of all intrumentals, about 6 on Check Your Head and Ill Communication each. They played Sabotage on either the MTV or Grammy Awards back in 1995ish.

Beastie Boys are an American hip hop trio from Brooklyn, New York City.[1] The group consists of Mike D (Michael Diamond) who plays the drums, MCA (Adam Yauch) who plays the bass, and Ad-Rock (Adam Horovitz) who plays the guitar.

They have an album, The Mix Up, of all intrumentals, about 6 on Check Your Head and Ill Communication each. They played Sabotage on either the MTV or Grammy Awards back in 1995ish.

Beastie Boys are an American hip hop trio from Brooklyn, New York City.[1] The group consists of Mike D (Michael Diamond) who plays the drums, MCA (Adam Yauch) who plays the bass, and Ad-Rock (Adam Horovitz) who plays the guitar.

:headbanger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6xsKsJqVyg&feature=player_detailpage

Or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c78B8PRiQ2o&feature=player_detailpage

I am almost unique in my generation it seems in that I HATE the beasties. It's just bad techno with somebody yelling random crap over it. It blows, even by the incredibly low standards I have for rap/punk/hip hop.

Ok fine,...they play instruments,....there are Sooooooooooo many other bands that are far more deserving.

RUSH

YES

STYX

KANSAS

HEART

BLUE OYSTER CULT

JETHRO TULL

DEEP PURPLE

URIAH HEEP

Oh,....and everybody other CLASSIC ROCK band that ever was :headbanger:

Ok fine,...they play instruments,....there are Sooooooooooo many other bands that are far more deserving.

RUSH

YES

STYX

KANSAS

HEART

BLUE OYSTER CULT

JETHRO TULL

DEEP PURPLE

URIAH HEEP

Oh,....and everybody other CLASSIC ROCK band that ever was :headbanger:

Rush, Yes, Heart, Deep Purple for sure. The others I don't know if they deserve it. The Boneyard on Sirius plays all this stuff, I play name that band with my wife, she gets like 1 out of 100. Heard Xanadu by Rush the other day, it was awesome.

Judas Priest!!! and Iron Maiden!!!!

I bought License to Ill around the time I graduated from high school, then got away from the Beastie Boys. I heard their newest album, Hot Sauce Committe Part II and liked it, so I started going back and checking out thier other stuff. Must be that I'm about the same age as the Beastie Boys, but I'm really liking their music lately. Gotta love all of the pop culture references, and as another poster said it's fun music. I think alot of people get hung-up on the hip-hop style and just hate the music, but they miss the humor that is built into the music. Like in one of my favorite Beastie Boy lines "The original nasal kid is doing damage!"

That being said, I don't pay attention or put alot of weight behind the R&RHOF. It seems there are plenty of bands that maybe deserve to be in there who aren't etc. Good music is usually hard to put into a particular category. If you think about it, alot of classic rock has sort of a rap style as was highlighted by the rap cover of "Walk this Way". Listen to the song Back in Black, essentially Johnson is rapping the lyrics to that song.

So should the Beastie Boys be in the R&RHOF? Who cares. Listen to the music you like :headbanger:

Some static started in the pool hall...Hit a motherfucker's face with the cue ball :banana:

I'm like the fung fu master vs the sumo wrestler...got the beats in Manhattan you can hear in Westchester. :pointstosky:

Because I drive like a maniac on the streets, and I don't give a fvck cause I got the beats

Got my nuts swingin from left to right, right to left, I'm death defyin :headbanger:

"I'd like to dedicate this to my brothers Adam and Mike. They walked the globe with me. It's also for anyone who has ever been touched by our band. This induction is as much ours as it is yours."

~MCA

Now they will. Voters of these things love sympathy awards. Like that two-bit hack actor, Heath Ledger, for the batman-thingy.

Now they will. Voters of these things love sympathy awards. Like that two-bit hack actor, Heath Ledger, for the batman-thingy.

Hey genius, they were already inducted in to the hall on April 14.

Ohhhh. They knew he was dying. Same difference.

Wow! He may lose his DJ license over that.

No more sock hops for Bubbles. :(

I am almost unique in my generation it seems in that I HATE the beasties. It's just bad techno with somebody yelling random crap over it. It blows, even by the incredibly low standards I have for rap/punk/hip hop.

Terrible lyrics, terrible voices, about 3 good beats out of all there songs. Pretty terrible band. I never did understand why they got so much love.

I'm just wondering why gocolts called them a one hit wonder

I have only heard one song by these guys, and that was more than enough.

Beastie Boys' Billboard chart history is as eclectic as the group itself.

The trio's (Mike Diamond, Adam Horovitz and the late Adam Yauch) "Licensed to Ill" album made history in 1987 as the first rap album to hit No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart. The blockbuster set reached the top on March 7, 1987 and spent seven straight weeks at No. 1.

The album spun off two Billboard Hot 100 hit singles, the No. 7 smash "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!)" and the No. 48-peaking "Brass Monkey." Other tracks from that monumental set also saturated radio, such as "Fight's" B-side "Paul Revere," "Hold It Now, Hit It," "It's the New Style" and "No Sleep Till Brooklyn."

"Licensed to Ill" was a monster seller, spending 73 weeks on the Billboard 200 and selling nine million copies in the U.S. according to the Recording Industry Association of America.

The act continued to release successful albums all the way through last year, with the bow of "Hot Sauce Committee Part Two," which debuted and peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard 200. All told, the group claimed six top 10 albums, with four of those reaching No. 1. After "Licensed to Ill" claimed the pole position, they returned with the chart-toppers "Ill Communication" (1994), "Hello Nasty" (1998) and "To the 5 Boroughs" (2004).

Since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking sales data in 1991, Beastie Boys have sold 20 million albums -- making them the biggest-selling rap group in that span of time. In the so-called SoundScan-era, "Licensed to Ill" has sold 5.5 million in the U.S. Since the firm began tabulating digital sales in 2003, the Beastie Boys have moved 5.9 million song downloads. Unsurprisingly, their biggest selling download is "Fight For Your Right," with 746,000 sold.

After the breakthrough with "Fight For Your Right," Beastie Boys would occasionally return to the Hot 100 chart later in their career, but found success on many genre charts. Throughout its career, the band placed hits on the Pop Songs, Alternative, Rap, Mainstream Rock, Dance/Club Play Songs and R&B/Hip-Hop charts.

On the Alternative tally, the group hit No. 1 once, with 2004's "Ch-Check It Out" from the "To the 5 Boroughs" album.

Over on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, they tallied top 40 hits with "It's the New Style" (No. 22 in 1986) and "Paul Revere" (No. 34 in 1987). And on the Dance/Club Songs chart, they managed a total of four hits, going as high as No. 15 with the funky "Hey Ladies" in 1989. "Ladies" was also a No. 10 Rap hit for the act in 1989.

Beastie Boys' Top Five Billboard Hot 100 Hits:

Rank - Title - (Year) - Hot 100 Peak Position

1. "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!)" - 1987 - No. 7

2. "Intergalactic" - 1998 - No. 28

3. "Hey Ladies" - 1989 - No. 36

4. "Brass Monkey" - 1987 - No. 48

5. "Ch-Check It Out" - 2004 - No. 68

sure, ther are pretty massive. have you seen them latetly? they turned into three old jews

Hmm, you might be right about that. A lot of their recent songs were about how they didn't care for the small portions at their local Shoney's, and wondering whether there was "a draft in here". :dunno: