• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#81 penultimatestraw

penultimatestraw

FF Geek

• Members
  • 11,831 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:03 PM

Actually, only 10-15% of bc is genetic based. I always thought you have a higher risk if it runs in your family. Not the case. Was very surprised to learn that. My mom got DCIS (stage 0) bc 1.5 years after my dx. Had a lumpectomy and rads. Just because both of us have it doesn't mean genetics is involved.

It's amasing looking at the bc board how people who were/are healthy are stage IV and others who are unhealthy even after dx are doing well years out from dx. It's seriously a crap shoot. It's emphasised to us to live our lives. Do the best we can but some people just bounce around from trying this and that esp with supplements and "natural" things like essential oils, herbs which they don't realise can be dangerous. Those are a form of medicine that can interact with the meds you are taking or just dangerous on their own.

I think what you mean is a genetic component is identified in only 10-15% of breast cancer cases. We don't understand all of the genetics involved in breast cancer, nor can we test for every potential oncogene.

#82 Artista

Artista

FF Geek

• Members
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:17 PM

That's interesting. Thanks for the info.

Just another reason to keep active.

Of course the meds make it hard to be active. Many of us suffer from severe se's that also affecst mobility. Hopefully before my 10 years is up on these sucky meds something will come along before then that will be kinder to us.

#83 Alias Detective

Alias Detective

FF Geek

• Members
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:37 AM

Well you've really nailed it with your posting style. Congrats, I guess.

That means I struck a nerve with you. Was it the man made materials you use versus natural resources?

#84 penultimatestraw

penultimatestraw

FF Geek

• Members
  • 11,831 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:32 AM

That means I struck a nerve with you. Was it the man made materials you use versus natural resources?

I think it was the trite commentary suggesting minimizing animal suffering isn't a worthwhile goal, as it can never be eliminated entirely.

I liken it to a 300 pounder trying to diet: while he may never reach his ideal weight, any weight loss is better than none at all.

#85 supermike80

supermike80

FF Geek

• Members
  • 9,125 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:52 AM

I think it was the trite commentary suggesting minimizing animal suffering isn't a worthwhile goal, as it can never be eliminated entirely.

I liken it to a 300 pounder trying to diet: while he may never reach his ideal weight, any weight loss is better than none at all.

These guys just want to argue.  I had to change the thread title because I didn't start a fight with my family over whether they are not using animal products for clothing.  Cause that's fun and really makes you welcome into the family.  

The whole thread was about how everyone in my family seems to be doing the vegan thing, and it's a pain.    Soon FF is posting dictionary definitions and everything.  Cause that's fun.  

If you are going to debate me on this bulletin board,

start with this premise..

You win.  And I don't care.

#86 Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho

FF Geek

• Members
  • 10,812 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:16 AM

Even Animal Crackers?  :shocking:

#87 frank

frank

FF Geek

• Members
  • 14,652 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:20 AM

Even Animal Crackers?  :shocking:

Hate speech. :nono:

Another Dumb fvcking post by frank. :wave:

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

-- Jack Lambert --

OOTMFFOTB

#88 IMMensaMind

IMMensaMind

FF Geek

• Members
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:34 AM

My wife and I have learned quite a bit about different body types, and those which can happily subsist in pure vegetarian diets vs those which cannot. There are 4 different body types, and based upon which one you are, your tolerance for various diets shapes your physique.

I got the most gain from a hybridized paleo diet, where every 7th day is a 'cheat' day. In fact, if I didn't enjoy that 'cheat day' (donuts, crap like that), my physique wouldn't maintain. Seems counterintuitive, but that's what happened.

There is also a MAJOR difference between grain-fed and grass-fed beef. Omega 3s and 6s are off the charts in grass fed, but almost completely absent in grain-fed.

It is the difference between heart attack and vitality.

#89 MDC

MDC

FF Geek

• Members
  • 48,631 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

My wife and I have learned quite a bit about different body types.

Especially your wife. :ninja:
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.

#90 Baker Boy

Baker Boy

FF Geek

• Members
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

The fact that Vegans have to supplement their diets (vitamin B12) shows us how crazy these people really are.
"I don't want to belong to any club that would have Wiff as one of their members"

#91 vuduchile

vuduchile

FF Geek

• Members
  • 10,944 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:12 AM

Nice work

#92 supermike80

supermike80

FF Geek

• Members
  • 9,125 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:16 AM

The fact that Vegans have to supplement their diets (vitamin B12) shows us how crazy these people really are.

That doesn't make sense

If you are going to debate me on this bulletin board,

start with this premise..

You win.  And I don't care.

#93 Alias Detective

Alias Detective

FF Geek

• Members
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

As long as those who preach animal cruelty, as a reason to not eat meat or wear leather slippers, understand they are still causing significant impact. This, we can agree on. Right?

#94 Alias Detective

Alias Detective

FF Geek

• Members
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

These guys just want to argue.  I had to change the thread title because I didn't start a fight with my family over whether they are not using animal products for clothing.  Cause that's fun and really makes you welcome into the family.  

I should be more worried what other "things" they blow out of proportion.

Agree 100%

#95 IMMensaMind

IMMensaMind

FF Geek

• Members
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

Don't worry, little fella. Round is still a shape. She said you have a cute little 'valve stem'. Hard to blow up an 'innie'. :lol:

#96 wiffleball

wiffleball

FF Geek

• Members
  • 55,994 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:33 PM

Anybody who has ever spent more than 30 seconds around a cow or a chicken walks away thinking, yeah God definitely intended for these guys to be food.
Users currently on :ignore: BudBro,Flahawker

#97 jerryskids

jerryskids

FF Geek

• Members
  • 42,909 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:52 PM

My wife and I have learned quite a bit about different body types, and those which can happily subsist in pure vegetarian diets vs those which cannot. There are 4 different body types, and based upon which one you are, your tolerance for various diets shapes your physique.

I got the most gain from a hybridized paleo diet, where every 7th day is a 'cheat' day. In fact, if I didn't enjoy that 'cheat day' (donuts, crap like that), my physique wouldn't maintain. Seems counterintuitive, but that's what happened.

There is also a MAJOR difference between grain-fed and grass-fed beef. Omega 3s and 6s are off the charts in grass fed, but almost completely absent in grain-fed.

It is the difference between heart attack and vitality.

Interesting.  I'm aware of three body types -- ectomorph, mesomorph, and endomorph.  Are you referring to a different system?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse." -- John Stuart Mill

#98 edjr

edjr

FF Geek

• Members
  • 110,569 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:55 PM

I have a vegetarian teenager and a 5 year old who eats almost nothing but chicken nuggets and fries in my house. My poor wife is like a short order cook.

I'm not sure it's possible to get a kid under 6 to eat anything but processed sh1t with a ton of ketchup.

Go to a restaurant - what do you want?  CHICKEN AND APPLESAUCE!  kid, this ain't focking friendlys, they dont have applesauce

#99 penultimatestraw

penultimatestraw

FF Geek

• Members
  • 11,831 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

The whole thread was about how everyone in my family seems to be doing the vegan thing, and it's a pain.    Soon FF is posting dictionary definitions and everything.  Cause that's fun.  

It's just hard for the crew with such high moral standards to understand perfection is unattainable.  :rolleyes:  

I'm a pescatarian (rarely use the term because it sounds so pretentious) with a few vegan friends. One of them runs an obesity clinic at a major academic center - he changed his diet after taking the job. Even though I like a lot of vegan stuff, traveling with my buddy is a royal pain. I imagine that is amplified if your palate aligns more closely with the typical American. 

#100 penultimatestraw

penultimatestraw

FF Geek

• Members
  • 11,831 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

None of the products you consume are fortified (highly unlikely)? Never taken a vitamin? 

#101 IMMensaMind

IMMensaMind

FF Geek

• Members
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:29 PM

Interesting.  I'm aware of three body types -- ectomorph, mesomorph, and endomorph.  Are you referring to a different system?

I think what you're describing is similar.

There are three for men; four for women. Android, Thyroid or Lymphatic for men; Gynaeoid also for women.

#102 penultimatestraw

penultimatestraw

FF Geek

• Members
  • 11,831 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:29 PM

As long as those who preach animal cruelty, as a reason to not eat meat or wear leather slippers, understand they are still causing significant impact. This, we can agree on. Right?

Nobody is "preaching animal cruelty", nor is anyone saying you can live without impacting the planet around you. The idea is minimizing harm, especially when it is gratuitous, as in some agribusiness.

Alternatively, why not start surreptitiously killing your pets? We're already harming other critters, and they're gonna die eventually anyway, right?

#103 wiffleball

wiffleball

FF Geek

• Members
  • 55,994 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:32 PM

Alternatively, why not start surreptitiously killing your pets? We're already harming other critters, and they're gonna die eventually anyway, right?

Because that would be wrong.

That's why I go after my neighbor's pets.
Users currently on :ignore: BudBro,Flahawker