Sign in to follow this  
CantTouchThis

*Official* 2016/17 NBA season thread *Official*

There is only a few people still on here that talk about the NBA, so lets just consolidate all NBA posts to one thread, shall we?

Even though I am in football mode, as are most people, NBA training camps have started and the pre-season starts this weekend. It got me hyped for this season, which I think is maybe the most intriguing season since LeBron signed with Miami, and maybe even since MJ came back in 95/96. I've said previously I'm pretty unbiased when it comes to watching sports, and I really think the NBA has overtaken the NFL as far as pure entertainment and intrigue. Just a few years ago I would say that is blasphemous, but I think if you let go of the idea that nothing beats the NFL, then you can see that the NBA is pretty awesome right now.

Unbold predictions

• Warriors win the championship
  • Westbrook wins the MVP
  • We get a finals rematch for the 3rd year in a row
  • Anthony Davis reemerges as a top 3-5 player
  • LeBron starts to drop off
  • Minnesota makes the playoffs
  • Clippers will start dissolving their core through trades
  • Knicks will be bad.

Bold(ish) predictions

• Spurs have the best record in the NBA and the 1-seed in the west, once again nearly winning 70 games
  • Philadelphia challenges for a playoff spot, just missing. They have a better record than the Knicks.
  • The Bulls are actually shockingly good. They end up with a 3-seed in the east.
  • Portland drops off significantly, and miss the playoffs and are in the lottery.
  • Boogie Cousins gets traded to the Lakers, who have a great 2nd half and just miss the playoffs.
  • My Pistons exceed expectations again, and end up as the 2-seed in the east.
  • The Thunder are the 3-seed in the west, and are serious challengers for the Warriors and Spurs.
  • Minnesota not only makes the playoffs, they win 50+ games.
  • New Orleans are the surprise team this year, AD goes bananas, they make the playoffs.
  • Kawhi Leonard is a few points away from winning MVP, emerges as maybe the best player in the world.

I think the seeding/records for the conference will end up something like:

EAST

(1) Cleveland 59-23

(2) Detroit 53-29

(3) Chicago 50-32

(4) Boston 50-32

(5) Toronto 48-34

(6) Indiana 47-35

(7) Charlotte 43-39

(8) Orlando 41-41

WEST

(1) San Antonio 68-14

(2) Golden State 64-18

(3) Oklahoma City 52-30

(4) Minnesota 51-31

(5) Memphis 48-34

(6) Utah 45-37

(7) New Orleans 43-39

(8) Dallas 40-42

*ETA- I'm not sure if the division winner still get an automatics top 3 seed or not. So, maybe the actual seeding would be different.

I look forward to watching the Pistons. I love listening to George Blaha and Greg Kelser. I hope we have a good season and would be ecstatic if your prediction held true.

I am really excited for the Sixers. I think the 76ers are going to top out around 25 wins but they finally appear to have a potential stud in place with Simmons, some good young complementary pieces (Okafor, Noel, Saric) and finally I get to see Embiid. This team is a couple years away but they are building something good.

Orlando is on the come up again.

Orlando and Milwaukee are two interesting teams in the east. The thing about Orlando is I think they got fleeced in that Oladipo trade. Milwaukee is going to be fun to watch because of GA being a legit PG.

I look forward to watching the Pistons. I love listening to George Blaha and Greg Kelser. I hope we have a good season and would be ecstatic if your prediction held true.

I really like what they did in the offseason. I think KCP is an all-star caliber player, and SJ will start developing into one, as well. I still think they either need more shooting or a premiere wing scorer to have any chance at being real contenders. They are a good team, though. Stan has them buying into his philosophy and I think it is paying off.

KFC JK LOL BRB PPP GR8

is this what the NBA has become?

Who the fock are you talking about? Do they have names?

I am really excited for the Sixers. I think the 76ers are going to top out around 25 wins but they finally appear to have a potential stud in place with Simmons, some good young complementary pieces (Okafor, Noel, Saric) and finally I get to see Embiid. This team is a couple years away but they are building something good.

I have not watched a minute of the NBA in years. But I have come to love and look forward to the annual "MDC sixers are a couple of years away" thread.

I have not watched a minute of the NBA in years. But I have come to love and look forward to the annual "MDC sixers are a couple of years away" thread.

:lol: Entering year 4 of the 5 year plan. :ninja:

I watch but, this is definitely something I look forward to as well each year. It's pretty fkn hilarious.

:doublethumbsup:

Orlando and Milwaukee are two interesting teams in the east. The thing about Orlando is I think they got fleeced in that Oladipo trade. Milwaukee is going to be fun to watch because of GA being a legit PG.

I really like what they did in the offseason. I think KCP is an all-star caliber player, and SJ will start developing into one, as well. I still think they either need more shooting or a premiere wing scorer to have any chance at being real contenders. They are a good team, though. Stan has them buying into his philosophy and I think it is paying off.

I agree, freaking pissed me off when the news broke Oladipo was traded, I really liked him and he loved being around the Orlando youth, great guy. I think Orlando will have a top ten defense, its just going to depend on how are offense does. I do think this is the season Air Gordon really busts onto the scene.

Mavs will suck.. This year will be all about getting to watch the greatest Mav, and one of the all time greatest Dallas sports figures ever - play a final goodbye (possibly).

I think Durant doesn't put the Warriors over the top. Losing Bogut hurts them more than they want to believe.

Cavs repeat in another epic series.

KFC JK LOL BRB PPP GR8

is this what the NBA has become?

Who the fock are you talking about? Do they have names?

Nop. HTH.

I think Durant doesn't put the Warriors over the top. Losing Bogut hurts them more than they want to believe.

Cavs repeat in another epic series.

Bogut was definitely a tough loss. I heard JaVale is trying to make a spot in their training camp. It will be interesting if he can make the roster and actually make an impact.

Durant doesn't put the Warriors over the top, because they were already over the top.

And down goes Simmons.

Big men with foot problems, not good. They better let that bad boy heal completely.

Typical Philly tho, cursed.

The Mavs made a quiet little trade the other day that was quite frankly - freaking remarkable... We got Nerlens Noel for basically nothing. The 76er's get Justin Anderson and a 1st Rounder - but it's heavily protected - like 19th is the highest they can go... Why in the world did Philly just let Noel go? He is one gifted kid - and at only 22, he's going to be a cornerstone of this team for quite some time... The Mavs are still a PG and couple other pieces away - but Cubes is quietly building this team back up. They have some real, young, talent again - and maybe the best Center we've ever had in the making.

I saw a game for the 1st time all year last night - they are fun to watch again. :thumbsup:

PG: Kyrie, Deron Williams

SG: JR Smith, Iman Shumpart

SF: LeBron, Kyle Korver, Derrick Williams

PF: Kevin Love, Jefferson

C: Tristan Thompson, Channing Frye

R.E.P.E.A.T

R.E.P.E.A.T

It's gonna be Cavs/Warriors again.

Pick 'em.

R.E.P.E.A.T

wait aren't you a Miami fan?

The Mavs made a quiet little trade the other day that was quite frankly - freaking remarkable... We got Nerlens Noel for basically nothing. The 76er's get Justin Anderson and a 1st Rounder - but it's heavily protected - like 19th is the highest they can go... Why in the world did Philly just let Noel go? He is one gifted kid - and at only 22, he's going to be a cornerstone of this team for quite some time... The Mavs are still a PG and couple other pieces away - but Cubes is quietly building this team back up. They have some real, young, talent again - and maybe the best Center we've ever had in the making.

I saw a game for the 1st time all year last night - they are fun to watch again. :thumbsup:

I hate this deal so don't take it at all as an endorsement of trading Noel to peanuts, I'm just giving you the reasoning here:

Sixers had no intention of meeting any offer for Noel in restricted free agency. Even without Embiid in the lineup they're getting significant minutes out of Richaun Holmes after Okafor. So they basically traded Nerlens for Justin Anderson and two 2nd rounders because the alternative was getting literally nothing when he walks in 25 or so games.

That's the official reasoning. The real reason is that the team let the situation go for longer than they should have and ended up selling for pennies on the dollar. The only thing I can say in their defense is that Noel is a terrific defensive player with no offensive game beyond lobs and putbacks. He's absolutely a starting caliber guy but I do not believe he's an All Star type player.

He is however a lot of fun to watch and Dallas won that trade by a mile, well done.

I don't know what to make of the Cavs. They should be a lock to make the ECF, but I could see a team like Boston giving them a run for their money. Likely the Celtics are a year away from being able to overtake them.

But as long as LeBron doesn't win, I don't really have a horse in the race. The Bulls aren't contenders :(

I hate this deal so don't take it at all as an endorsement of trading Noel to peanuts, I'm just giving you the reasoning here:

Sixers had no intention of meeting any offer for Noel in restricted free agency. Even without Embiid in the lineup they're getting significant minutes out of Richaun Holmes after Okafor. So they basically traded Nerlens for Justin Anderson and two 2nd rounders because the alternative was getting literally nothing when he walks in 25 or so games.

That's the official reasoning. The real reason is that the team let the situation go for longer than they should have and ended up selling for pennies on the dollar. The only thing I can say in their defense is that Noel is a terrific defensive player with no offensive game beyond lobs and putbacks. He's absolutely a starting caliber guy but I do not believe he's an All Star type player.

He is however a lot of fun to watch and Dallas won that trade by a mile, well done.

From my reading, it looks like the Sixers really preferred to move Okafor.....Trade him, and maybe they match an offer for Noel? But once they realized they were stuck with Okafor and his 1980's game, they knew they had to move Noel, and they got stuck with Dallas.

Great trade for the Mavs. Nobody here in Dallas is under the illusion Noel will turn into Karl-Anthony Towns. But for obvious reasons, we look at Tyson Chandler and see potential similarities. Chandler had no offensive game except setting solid screens and catching lobs. He just played great defense and averaged 10 points and 10 Rebounds year after year.

If Dallas can luck out in the lottery and land an elite type PG, they are a playoff team next season. They've made big finds with Barnes (yes, everyone knew him, but nobody thought he could be this good) and Curry (He has put about 15ppg since the new year, shooting 50%+ from the field and 45%+ from 3pt range.

It's exciting again. They'll likely win the title next year.

No - I can see this.. I just can't believe Philly didn't get more in return.. I like J. Anderson - he's a phenomenal athlete.. But he never fit in here - and he certainly is limited on the offensive side of the ball.. But yea, wow - looks like a steal for us.

I may have gotten too excited with that last part.

In just 2 games, Noel has completely changed this face of this team... He is exactly what the Mavs needed - and at only 22? Wow.. With Barnes only 24, Noel 22 - this team is poised to maybe climb back up the mountain in the next couple of years.. I was watching us play balls-out defense last night, getting boards, disrupting passing lanes - had to check my glasses, I still can't believe it.

No - I can see this.. I just can't believe Philly didn't get more in return.. I like J. Anderson - he's a phenomenal athlete.. But he never fit in here - and he certainly is limited on the offensive side of the ball.. But yea, wow - looks like a steal for us.

It is. I have to believe the team couldn't move Okafor for any more than they got for Noel and they were unwilling to risk having to resign Nerlens, especially with how well Holmes is playing too. Dallas made out really well though no doubt.

It is. I have to believe the team couldn't move Okafor for any more than they got for Noel and they were unwilling to risk having to resign Nerlens, especially with how well Holmes is playing too. Dallas made out really well though no doubt.

Growing up, we didn't have a team in Dallas.. Dr. J was a 76er, so I adopted them as my team... I was already 11 by the time the Mavs got here - so when Philly won that title in '83, I celebrated just as if my Mavs had done it. It was awesome. :thumbsup:

its like the Michael Carter Williams situation again... Draft a talent and begin developing him... decide he isn't the ideal specimen and deal him for pennies on the dollar. rinse and repeat.

(8) Orlando 41-41

Orlando 22-38

Only team in NBA history to have their first year head coach - RESIGN. Go magic <_<

its like the Michael Carter Williams situation again... Draft a talent and begin developing him... decide he isn't the ideal specimen and deal him for pennies on the dollar. rinse and repeat.

Is MCW even a starter? The Sixers flipped him for a Lakers first. They probably got $1.50 on the dollar in that deal.

all sixers and nets talk aside (don't bother MDC, you know I said the Nets would be bad. The sad part is the rebuild and tanking have been going on for how long now in Philly?) Is there any more poorly run franchise than the Kings??

I mean damn. The Knicks are dysfunctional but the Kings are just idiotic.

all sixers and nets talk aside (don't bother MDC, you know I said the Nets would be bad. The sad part is the rebuild and tanking have been going on for how long now in Philly?) Is there any more poorly run franchise than the Kings??

I mean damn. The Knicks are dysfunctional but the Kings are just idiotic.

:lol: You also said you were fairly sure the Nets would be better than the Sixers. How's that working out for you?

wait aren't you a Miami fan?

he's a fan of whatever city Lebron's dong resides.