Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

UPDATE: Cousins not signing in Washington? - Cousins Gets Franchise Tag

Taylor is going to get paid 15 mil a season for the next two seasons from the Bills.

I know Cousins is worthy of more then that.

Arog also had an awful defense and no running game and dragged them kicking and screaming into the playoffs. Which is why he makes elite money.

Selective memory? In 2008, Ryan Grant (1100+), and Brandon Jackson combined for 1451 yards on 357 carries (4.0 ypc), in a season where they went 6-10. The defense did rank in the 20's, but their pass protection ranked 14th. In 2009, when they went 11-5, their defense was top 3, Grant ran for 1200 yards, 4.4 ypc, and 11 TD's. Their OLine did rank very terribly for pass protection (30th), but their run blocking ranked 9th. One other tidbit of information, the Packers strength of schedule ranked 30th in the league... so only 2 teams had an easier schedule than they did that year.

With Cousins, I shouldn't have to tell you that the Alfred Morris/Matt Jones tandem was obviously not as good as Grant and Jackson. They did have the 10th best OL in pass protection (not much better than 14th as with Rodgers), but Cousins did take his team to a 9-7 record and a playoff appearance. In 2016, the running game was all over the place with no consistency and no rhythm as both Jones and Kelly started about half the games each. I will correct myself in the last post, as the Redskins pass protection was significantly better than I thought, ranking 3rd. Washington again did have another winning season despite having consecutive seasons where the defense ranked in the bottom third of the league. Also take note that this past year, the Redskins had the 8th toughest schedule in the league.

Both Rodgers and Cousins had things working for and against them and yielded similar results. The biggest difference between the two is that the Packers organization was always behind Rodgers where as Cousins never really had the Redskins backing. I believe Cousins has what it takes to be an excellent QB and if the Redskins let him go, then that's their own stupid fault.

Taylor is going to get paid 15 mil a season for the next two seasons from the Bills.

Getting "paid" as a lot more to do with timing than it does talent. Last year Osweiler got $17M. Here are the top 10 highest paid QB's heading into last season...

Colts QB Andrew Luck: $24.6 million
Saints QB Drew Brees: $24.3 million
Ravens QB Joe Flacco: $22.1 million
Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $22 million
Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $21.9 million
Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $21.85 million
Cardinals QB Carson Palmer: $21 million
Giants QB Eli Manning: $21 million
Chargers QB Philip Rivers: $20.81 million
Panthers QB Cam Newton: $20.76 million

I think Cousins is just as good (or better), than most of the guys on the list... Luck, Flacco, Wilson, Palmer, Manning, Rivers, and Newton.

That list was once posted before, and I find it interesting that five time champion Brady isn't on it.

Thanks for the reply.

Selective memory? In 2008, Ryan Grant (1100+), and Brandon Jackson combined for 1451 yards on 357 carries (4.0 ypc), in a season where they went 6-10. The defense did rank in the 20's, but their pass protection ranked 14th. In 2009, when they went 11-5, their defense was top 3, Grant ran for 1200 yards, 4.4 ypc, and 11 TD's. Their OLine did rank very terribly for pass protection (30th), but their run blocking ranked 9th. One other tidbit of information, the Packers strength of schedule ranked 30th in the league... so only 2 teams had an easier schedule than they did that year.

With Cousins, I shouldn't have to tell you that the Alfred Morris/Matt Jones tandem was obviously not as good as Grant and Jackson. They did have the 10th best OL in pass protection (not much better than 14th as with Rodgers), but Cousins did take his team to a 9-7 record and a playoff appearance. In 2016, the running game was all over the place with no consistency and no rhythm as both Jones and Kelly started about half the games each. I will correct myself in the last post, as the Redskins pass protection was significantly better than I thought, ranking 3rd. Washington again did have another winning season despite having consecutive seasons where the defense ranked in the bottom third of the league. Also take note that this past year, the Redskins had the 8th toughest schedule in the league.

Both Rodgers and Cousins had things working for and against them and yielded similar results. The biggest difference between the two is that the Packers organization was always behind Rodgers where as Cousins never really had the Redskins backing. I believe Cousins has what it takes to be an excellent QB and if the Redskins let him go, then that's their own stupid fault.

Selective memory? I guess I should have the Bart Starr comps on the tip of my tongue too? I'm talking about last years comp. You're comparing an 08 season. Last year both teams had weak defenses and Rodgers carried them.

But I guess Cousins is just as good as Rodgers. What madness is this?

Annnnnd there goes DeSean Jackson, plucked by the Bucs:

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-smith/Explosive-Move-Bucs-Land-DeSean-Jackson/6fa0371d-db47-429c-87a2-4074ff9ec188?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Has anyone heard of Washington signing anyone yet? With the mysterious Scott McCloughan situation, it seems like they're sort of skipping free agency - which seems strange.

EDIT: Well, shut my mouth. He was just fired within the hour.

I dont think there is any question about that. anyone who says he's worth less than 16 mil in the current NFL market is on crack.

Let me clarify:

I dont honestly believe any pro athlete is worth 16 mil per year. but putting that aside, and looking at the NFL salary structure, he warrants 19-22 mil based strictly on what the top QB's are making.

I have a post earlier in this thread listing the top 6 NFL salaries for QB's.

I have gone on record saying that if he is asking for 25 Mil, the team should trade him or let him walk.

if he's asking for 18-21 mil, I dont know why he's not already signed.

Of course, the GM in Washington was just canned, so maybe this has something to do with it. Tough to say for sure.

anyhow, Washington has been a gong show for some time at the management level so this does not surprise me entirely.

Selective memory? I guess I should have the Bart Starr comps on the tip of my tongue too? I'm talking about last years comp. You're comparing an 08 season. Last year both teams had weak defenses and Rodgers carried them.

But I guess Cousins is just as good as Rodgers. What madness is this?

So wait, I'm comparing 2 QB's and judging them by what they did at the same stages in their careers. You're comparing an 9-year vet to a 2-year starter and I'm the one who's spouting madness?

I dont think there is any question about that. anyone who says he's worth less than 16 mil in the current NFL market is on crack.

Let me clarify:

I dont honestly believe any pro athlete is worth 16 mil per year. but putting that aside, and looking at the NFL salary structure, he warrants 19-22 mil based strictly on what the top QB's are making.

I have a post earlier in this thread listing the top 6 NFL salaries for QB's.

I have gone on record saying that if he is asking for 25 Mil, the team should trade him or let him walk.

if he's asking for 18-21 mil, I dont know why he's not already signed.

Of course, the GM in Washington was just canned, so maybe this has something to do with it. Tough to say for sure.

anyhow, Washington has been a gong show for some time at the management level so this does not surprise me entirely.

I don't know about that. I mean, we're talking about people with a skill set that only a few other's in this "WORLD" have... and they're doing it for a multi-billion dollar corporation. I think they're salaries are justified.

Has anyone heard of Washington signing anyone yet? With the mysterious Scott McCloughan situation, it seems like they're sort of skipping free agency - which seems strange.

EDIT: Well, shut my mouth. He was just fired within the hour.

And the circus continues in DC... If I were Cousins - I'd want the hell out of there too now.

So wait, I'm comparing 2 QB's and judging them by what they did at the same stages in their careers. You're comparing an 9-year vet to a 2-year starter and I'm the one who's spouting madness?

I didn't start comparing Rodgers to Cousins. You did. Which is madness.

I didn't start comparing Rodgers to Cousins. You did. Which is madness.

My bad... I didn't realize that it was impossible for 2 players to have similar starts AND similar ends to their careers. Stupid me.

My bad... I didn't realize that it was impossible for 2 players to have similar starts AND similar ends to their careers. Stupid me.

Quit while you're behind.

Quit while you're behind.

LOL, never thought I was. I think most caught my point... apparently you didn't.

It's evident now the the huge man love crush Shanny has for Cousins. 2FA QB's to carry the workload this year and then go get Kirk next year. Look to me like that's what the 49ers are or gonna want to do next year. Hell why not. We gotta rebuild from ground zero so we might even have the 1st pick next year. Cousins could be their guy but he won't if he doesn't have a decent WR's to throw to. If if their mind is set on having Cousins next year they better be scouting the hell outta WRs, or getting good veterans for next year. So much rebuilding the 9ers gotta do I'm not expecting miracles if we do get him. Just hope they quit screwin'up up and get the right players. Front office better get their shiot right then but I wouldn't mind having Cousing as our guy.