Sign in to follow this  
fandandy

Carrier to keep 1000 jobs in Indiana

Companies will continue to explore every avenue to reduce costs and increase profits. That's their responsibility.

Granting tax incentives to large companies is not a new phenomenon. It happens all the time.

Unfortunately, so does the opposite.

When local, state and fed gov's plus their various regulators and agencies get to be too costly in dollars and time/effort, corps will look for alternatives locations.

Glad some jobs were saved, but again, what is UTC doing globally, and how can we make it more attractive for all their mfg to be done here?

Companies will continue to explore every avenue to reduce costs and increase profits. That's their responsibility.

Granting tax incentives to large companies is not a new phenomenon. It happens all the time.

Unfortunately, so does the opposite.

When local, state and fed gov's plus their various regulators and agencies get to be too costly in dollars and time/effort, corps will look for alternatives locations.

Glad some jobs were saved, but again, what is UTC doing globally, and how can we make it more attractive for all their mfg to be done here?

We can either lower regulations, taxes and worker salaries and benefits to the point where we can compete with places like Mexico. Or we can make it cost prohibitive for US companies that manufacture overseas to sell their product here through tariffs.

What else? :dunno:

:thumbsup:

Yep, 1100 people will be working and paying taxes vs on the government dole. They will be spending their money in their economies too and creating more work instead of drawing unemployment and other benefits that cost the sate.

That part is definitely a good thing. Wish the other 1000 or so could too.

• Like 1

Foreman says these jobs are going boys, and they ain't coming back, to your hometown. Wait, yes they are! Go figure, Trump is the hero in a Springsteen song!

We can either lower regulations, taxes and worker salaries and benefits to the point where we can compete with places like Mexico. Or we can make it cost prohibitive for US companies that manufacture overseas to sell their product here through tariffs.

What else? :dunno:

That about sums it up.

Incentives and some form of tarriffs are the best answer IMO. We can't realistically compete with the wages paid in 3rd world countries and large corps will not stay for pure patriotic reasons.

Tarriffs are tricky though. Margins on consumer goods vary greatly. It would be tough to find the sweet spot for every category.

Also, quality control isn't as important as it used to be. Many consumer goods are damned near disposable now. I believe the global economy is partly to blame but as a nation, we continue to accept poor quality so we get what we deserve. I see it every day in my business.

A widespread boycott of inferior merchandise from non US factories isn't gonna happen, so it seems like there's no turning back on that front.

One industry we could take a cue from regarding quality control is the auto industry. Getting 100K miles out of a car used to be a huge thing. But Japan completely changed the game by building cars that last. US auto makers had no choice but to improve quality.

I just a read an article that listed what cars are made in America top to bottom. Not to many, but there were some Toyotas and Hondas that are. As a matter of fact, Toyota might as well be considered an American car company at this point, so much of their inventory is made here. I was not happy that neither of my Fords were made here. And forget Chrysler, they make practically nothing here.

That about sums it up.

Incentives and some form of tarriffs are the best answer IMO. We can't realistically compete with the wages paid in 3rd world countries and large corps will not stay for pure patriotic reasons.

Tarriffs are tricky though. Margins on consumer goods vary greatly. It would be tough to find the sweet spot for every category.

Also, quality control isn't as important as it used to be. Many consumer goods are damned near disposable now. I believe the global economy is partly to blame but as a nation, we continue to accept poor quality so we get what we deserve. I see it every day in my business.

A widespread boycott of inferior merchandise from non US factories isn't gonna happen, so it seems like there's no turning back on that front.

One industry we could take a cue from regarding quality control is the auto industry. Getting 100K miles out of a car used to be a huge thing. But Japan completely changed the game by building cars that last. US auto makers had no choice but to improve quality.

Many clothes are disposable now. I used to have stuff that lasted for years

I just a read an article that listed what cars are made in America top to bottom. Not to many, but there were some Toyotas and Hondas that are. As a matter of fact, Toyota might as well be considered an American car company at this point, so much of their inventory is made here. I was not happy that neither of my Fords were made here. And forget Chrysler, they make practically nothing here.

It's Chrysler daimler benz. I think mine had a Mitsubishi engine and a German transmission.

Many clothes are disposable now. I used to have stuff that lasted for years

Good example. I still have Brooks Brothers Dress Shirts that were made in Patterson, NJ back in the late 80's.

I also have couple of their suits and a handful of ties that were made in Long Island City during that era.

Granted, I don't wear suits and ties every day now, but quality apparel, if taken care of, can last a very long time.

Its news that Toyota, Honda, and Nissan all have assembly plants here and much of the domestic brands come from elsewhere?

Can anyone one call themselves informed and just now be figuring that out?

Been like that for years

It's Chrysler daimler benz. I think mine had a Mitsubishi engine and a German transmission.

:thumbsdown:

Link?

Link?

The 2016 cars.com American made index. Sorry, can't link.

Liberals actually believe it's the government's money, not the company keeping more of its own money.

Just felt like quoting this. Jesus, man.

For the record, Carrier just man-handled Trump/Pence on this one and the Press Release makes the public feel the opposite. If this is an example of things to come, we're in trouble.

For the record, Carrier just man-handled Trump/Pence on this one and the Press Release makes the public feel the opposite. If this is an example of things to come, we're in trouble.

Carrier exports half its workforce in Indiana and Trump / Pence promise them tax cuts.

God help us when Trump is negotiating with a foreign leader. :shocking:

You would think companies or a whole industry were never given incentives before to keep jobs here. Let's just agree to put a TARP on this subject until Trump gets in.

Carrier should have moved all the jobs to Mexico. Drumpf would have gladly sucked the CEO's c0ck. That's the kind of master negotiator we got now. :thumbsup:

June 1, 2016 Barack Obama mocking Trump's Carrier promise.

For those folks who've lost their job right now because a plant went down to Mexico, that isn't gonna make you feel better. And so what we have to do is to make sure that folks are trained for the jobs that are comin' in now because some of those jobs of the past are just not gonna come back. And when somebody says -- like the person you just mentioned who I'm not gonna advertise for -- that he's gonna bring all these jobs back? Well, how exactly are y'gonna do that? What're you gonna do? There's no answer to it. He just says, "I'm gonna negotiate a better deal." Well, how...? What...? How exactly are you going to negotiate that? What magic wand do you have? And usually the answer is, he duh'n't have'n answer.

June 1, 2016 Barack Obama mocking Trump's Carrier promise.

For those folks who've lost their job right now because a plant went down to Mexico, that isn't gonna make you feel better. And so what we have to do is to make sure that folks are trained for the jobs that are comin' in now because some of those jobs of the past are just not gonna come back. And when somebody says -- like the person you just mentioned who I'm not gonna advertise for -- that he's gonna bring all these jobs back? Well, how exactly are y'gonna do that? What're you gonna do? There's no answer to it. He just says, "I'm gonna negotiate a better deal." Well, how...? What...? How exactly are you going to negotiate that? What magic wand do you have? And usually the answer is, he duh'n't have'n answer.

Carrier is cutting half its Indiana workforce and you are congratulating Drumpf for bribing the company to keep the other half temporarily in state.

:doh:

Fiat Chrysler but who's counting?

he needs to get to work on saving these jobs next at the plant cross town..

Rexnord workers call on Trump to save jobs

Campaigned on bringing back manufacturing jobs. Celebrates bribing companies to keep 50% of the jobs in state. :doh:

Next thing you know Drumpf will be telling us that Mexico actually isn't going to buy us a wall.

I believe it's 700,000 a year, 10 years, as long as the company stays in Indianapolis. If I'm remembering/heard correctly, Pence doubled the tax credit they are already getting.

800 jobs...the 300 management not coming back. 1300 still going. So, carrier successfully negotiated 7 mil in tax incentives to move 1300 or so jobs to Mexico.

Happy for the jobs saved here...but not quite the great "winning" the right keeps claiming the on this.

Hell...if I'm a CEO wanting to move a portion of my jobs out of country...threaten moving all and see what the new admin ponies up to keep some here.

The Federal Government is going to forgive 108 BILLION dollars for no reason yet the libs are b*tching that we tossed a bone to a corporation to save jobs. You can't make this sh*t up!!!!

:lol:

• Like 1

Carrier is cutting half its Indiana workforce and you are congratulating Drumpf for bribing the company to keep the other half temporarily in state.

:doh:

It isn't going to be easy cleaning up after Obama's failed policies. These Lost jobs are on Obama not Trump. You seem to over look that fact.

Tilt, foam at the mouth, tilt!

Priceless

MDC=RP! Lol. Or is Eagles in 14? Either way, it's hilarious watching him morph. Good times

Tilt, foam at the mouth, tilt!

Priceless

Yes, you most certainly are. The rest of us(well, most) are having a calm and civil discussion.

The Federal Government is going to forgive 108 BILLION dollars for no reason yet the libs are b*tching that we tossed a bone to a corporation to save jobs. You can't make this sh*t up!!!!

:lol:

They are truly ruderless at this point. They don't know the difference between better and worse. It's better that jobs are staying. It would be worse if they left. Simple. Perfect? Not even close. Still better, and better is, well, better. So blinded by their own hysteria over losing.

It isn't going to be easy cleaning up after Obama's failed policies. These Lost jobs are on Obama not Trump. You seem to over look that fact.

I'm moving forward. When does Drumpf build the wall and being back the jerbs?

I'm moving forward. When does Drumpf build the wall and being back the jerbs?

Tilt MRP

Ok he gets partial credit for this but he gave away the farm to get it. Bernie would of done it better. Instead of bending over and taking it in the azz like Trump did. Instead of giving the big tax breaks Bernie would penalize companies for shipping jobs out. Carrier even released a statement saying this wasn't a big deal and they still believe in globalization.

Trump is a puzzy and a b!tch for the big corps just like Obama, Bush, and all the others. He's no different, just wears a different coat is all.