Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Today I feel like I'm starting the back 9 of life.

:thumbsup:

I dealt with a ton of bad stuff with my parents.

Nothing like that.

Oh sh!t. I don't think I've ever told the full focked up family saga her. It will be a long one.

Let's start the story when I was three. Mom wanted another baby. Dad didn't. She just stopped taking the pill and had one anyway.

Dad meanwhile had a girlfriend, and she was also pregnant. Miscarriage. She was later raped by her teenage son, then went to prison for hot checks.

Mom and dad decided to move to Memphis for his job and start over. Dad used to mentally abuse my mother. Stuff like throw everything out of the pantry and make her put it back. Sometimes in alphabetical order, other times by color.

She knew she could not go to certain restaurants because he was focking a waitress there and would get mad.

Eventually, they became couple friends with the neighbors. Me and their son were the same age and became best friends.

All of a sudden one day, everyone was getting divorces. I was not allowed to see my friend anymore. We moved out of the house, and into an apartment. Mom suggested I go to the playground. Lo and Behold, there was my friend! He and his dad lived in the same complex now.

Took me years to figure out what you've already guessed. He and mom were focking, and he's been my stepdad since I was 10. He adopted me when I was 28, at my request.

The whole time, he was leaking my dad, his drinking buddies, secrets to my mothers lawyer. So she crushed him in the divorce. He tried to rent a billboard calling her a wh0re with her photo, but they wouldn't print it. I've seen the markup he had made.

At age nine I watched through a window while dad tried to start a fight with stepdad and stepdad pulled a gun. They still don't know I saw that.

At age 16, dad said if one of us didn't come live with him, and thus cut the child support, he would lose everything. I confronted my parents about it. Later I found out he was only paying. $250 per kid, less than his weekly bar tab.

Haven't spoken to him in about 12 years now. Changed my name when stepdad adopted me and my sister. I drafted the papers myself and led the court proceeding. It was the only time I enjoyed being a lawyer. It was special in a focked up way.

I did not find out a lot of this until I was in my mid 20's. Mom and stepdad said for better or for worse, he was my father, and it wasn't right to poison that.

Anyway. I think that's the major high points of the focked up family tale.

• Like 1

Oh sh!t. I don't think I've ever told the full focked up family saga her. It will be a long one.

Let's start the story when I was three. Mom wanted another baby. Dad didn't. She just stopped taking the pill and had one anyway.

Dad meanwhile had a girlfriend, and she was also pregnant. Miscarriage. She was later raped by her teenage son, then went to prison for hot checks.

Mom and dad decided to move to Memphis for his job and start over. Dad used to mentally abuse my mother. Stuff like throw everything out of the pantry and make her put it back. Sometimes in alphabetical order, other times by color.

She knew she could not go to certain restaurants because he was focking a waitress there and would get mad.

Eventually, they became couple friends with the neighbors. Me and their son were the same age and became best friends.

All of a sudden one day, everyone was getting divorces. I was not allowed to see my friend anymore. We moved out of the house, and into an apartment. Mom suggested I go to the playground. Lo and Behold, there was my friend! He and his dad lived in the same complex now.

Took me years to figure out what you've already guessed. He and mom were focking, and he's been my stepdad since I was 10. He adopted me when I was 28, at my request.

The whole time, he was leaking my dad, his drinking buddies, secrets to my mothers lawyer. So she crushed him in the divorce.

At age nine I watched through a window while dad tried to start a fight with stepdad and stepdad pulled a gun. They still don't know I saw that.

At age 16, dad said if one of us didn't come live with him, and thus cut the child support, he would lose everything. I confronted my parents about it. Later I found out he was only paying. $250 per kid, less than his weekly bar tab.

Haven't spoken to him in about 12 years now. Changed my name when stepdad adopted me and my sister. I drafted the papers myself and led the court proceeding. It was the only time I enjoyed being a lawyer. It was special in a focked up way.

I did not find out a lot of this until I was in my mid 20's. Mom and stepdad said for better or for worse, he was my father, and it wasn't right to poison that.

Fock :(

you win.

Fock :(

you win.

crazy. stranger than fiction...

when his mom is reorganizing the fridge by color or whatever... I'm thinking, "where is his mom's dad"... anybody ever treats my daughter like that, they die. But... I'm pretty sure my daughter won't ever let anyone treat her like that... so it's a non-issue.

So, Happy Birthday Ed... you're pity-party is over... people have it WAY worse than you... no excuses for you! :D

when his mom is reorganizing the fridge by color or whatever... I'm thinking, "where is his mom's dad"... anybody ever treats my daughter like that, they die. But... I'm pretty sure my daughter won't ever let anyone treat her like that... so it's a non-issue.

So, Happy Birthday Ed... you're pity-party is over... people have it WAY worse than you... no excuses for you! :D

Her father died when she was 3. Her grandfather died when she was a teenager.

I don't mean to make it a pity thing. I had every advantage you could ever want, and squandered most of them. And in the end, I have a family that loves me and always has my back.

And I'm a better person after all the dark sh!t with dad and the marriage than I was before. I used to be an incredibly arrogant pr!ck. Those of you who have been here a long time know.

I now realize that I'm no better than anyone, am by most people's measure a loser, and I'm ok with that, as I'm happier for it.

My girlfriend used to be embarrassed sometimes. She'd say things like "you're so much more sophisticated than I am and know so much more about so many things."

I told her it is a miracle that she came from where she was born to where she is. I am in the same place, after decades of wasting potential and advantage. So if anything, I should be the one embarrassed.

I've always known people had it way worse than me and way better.

I've always known people had it way worse than me and way better.

Happy birthday ed. Sorry I jacked your thread. :lol:

I'm sitting in an empty apartment. The movers shipped my stuff yesterday, roommate moved already, and the girl is packing up her place. So I'm bored as Fock.

Happy birthday ed. Sorry I jacked your thread. :lol:

I'm sitting in an empty apartment. The movers shipped my stuff yesterday, roommate moved already, and the girl is packing up her place. So I'm bored as Fock.

No!

Not at all. :cheers:

you're alright with me

Happy birthday.

I turned 48 in May. I have beaten myself up a bit and really started feeling it around 42.

Interesting.

I was able to actually play 18 yesterday for the first time since spring break.

Unfortunately, we started at 7:30, which meant I was up at 6, then only had an hour between golf and kid's baseball game.

Normally, I'd shower right after golf, but chose to take a half hour nap instead.

It's much easier to recover from a chunk or a three putt when your're going out, but every swing of the club is a little more precious once you make the turn.

Have fun.

Interesting.

I was able to actually play 18 yesterday for the first time since spring break.

Unfortunately, we started at 7:30, which meant I was up at 6, then only had an hour between golf and kid's baseball game.

Normally, I'd shower right after golf, but chose to take a half hour nap instead.

It's much easier to recover from a chunk or a three putt when your're going out, but every swing of the club is a little more precious once you make the turn.

Have fun.

Tomorrow is my fave day of the year.

Playing in a 18 hold, 36 team scramble.

Will be my and my good friend's 15th year.

we have 1 win and 2 seconds and some 3rds

Putt putt course?

I have a question.

I have never played a round of golf in my life. I've focked around at the driving range a few times, but that's about it.

For both fat reasons and anger management reasons, I need to find a hobby the involves exercise that I actually like.

Would trying to learn to play golf now be so maddeningly hard that I would quit? I don't want to spend money on equipment and then say Fock it after a month or two.

I have a question.

I have never played a round of golf in my life. I've focked around at the driving range a few times, but that's about it.

For both fat reasons and anger management reasons, I need to find a hobby the involves exercise that I actually like.

Would trying to learn to play golf now be so maddeningly hard that I would quit? I don't want to spend money on equipment and then say Fock it after a month or two.

Play a couple of rounds with rentals to see how you like it.

Play a couple of rounds with rentals to see how you like it.

My stepdad just started lessons a year ago, since he's more or less retired. He seems to find it extremely frustrating.

I may do what you suggest though. Most of the foreign guys play, so I'd have people to play and drink with.

I have a question.

If you have good hand/eye coordination and aren't a complete spaz, you can learn to play golf. You might not ever be good, but you can play well enough to enjoy it.

But, riding around in a cart isn't much exercise. So do yourself a favor, carry your clubs and walk it

If you have good hand/eye coordination and aren't a complete spaz, you can learn to play golf. You might not ever be good, but you can play well enough to enjoy it.

But, riding around in a cart isn't much exercise. So do yourself a favor, carry you clubs and walk it

Agree on the walking part. That would be the main point.

I've been playing video games for thirty years (not much anymore) so I assume I have adequate hand eye. The spaz part might be a problem.

My other thought was tai chi or Kung fu, which are pretty easily available around these parts. The former is kinda girly, but i can see the value in it from a calmness perspective.

if you're taking up golf.... some thoughts.

An 18 hole course is no place to "learn" - lessons, driving range, smaller par 3 courses, etc - start there. It's an ass whole move to just hop on a course and have no clue.

Which brings me to - golf etiquette - it's important to learn understand how do do as the Romans do... pace of play, fixing divots/marks, courtesy to other players, etc. You don't have to be serious about scores, etc you can be a poor golfer but still not be a ignorant ass wipe.

Many golfers can't hit all the clubs... driver, 7, putter, maybe a hybrid... if you develop competency with only a few clubs, just use them... until you're really skilled, it won't matter that you can't dial right into 180 with a 5 iron... just hit the freakin 7 and hit it well.

if you're taking up golf.... some thoughts.

An 18 hole course is no place to "learn" - lessons, driving range, smaller par 3 courses, etc - start there. It's an ass whole move to just hop on a course and have no clue.

Which brings me to - golf etiquette - it's important to learn understand how do do as the Romans do... pace of play, fixing divots/marks, courtesy to other players, etc. You don't have to be serious about scores, etc you can be a poor golfer but still not be a ignorant ass wipe.

Many golfers can't hit all the clubs... driver, 7, putter, maybe a hybrid... if you develop competency with only a few clubs, just use them... until you're really skilled, it won't matter that you can't dial right into 180 with a 5 iron... just hit the freakin 7 and hit it well.

I can some this up with one simple saying.

If you're going to suck, suck fast

That won't be a problem. I do everything fast. Ask your mom. :banana:

My dad told me you do in fact, suck fast

My dad told me you do in fact, suck fast

Well played sir.

No, I am an impatient person. I hate slow people and I hate delaying others. One thing I always find difficult in a relationship is women are so focking slow at everything.

I suspect I'd spend half My time on the course letting others play through.

Nothing more infuriating. Watching someone that just completely sucks at golf taking 3, 4 or more practice swings.,

REALLY????? :mad:

I don't take any, not 1

Couple practice putt swings, but never a regular swing

Agree on the walking part. That would be the main point.

I've been playing video games for thirty years (not much anymore) so I assume I have adequate hand eye. The spaz part might be a problem.

My other thought was tai chi or Kung fu, which are pretty easily available around these parts. The former is kinda girly, but i can see the value in it from a calmness perspective.

I've taken karate lessons with my sons last and we all enjoyed it. Done right, it can be a pretty good workout, and the self defense aspect was interesting to me.

You shot a 60. Good luck on the back.

HAH! :)

Happy B-day if it is ed

:cheers:

I turned 49 a few months ago. I feel I'm going through Amen corner.

Tis.

Thank you. :cheers:

Happy Bday Ed! I turned 57 today.

The daylight gets less from here until Dec lol

I should have been dead by now many times over. If I make it to 70 I'll count that as a win.

I have a question.

If you can accept that you are going to suck for a very long time, and therefore not take it too seriously and laugh at your horrible shots, then learn to play golf.

If you are the type to get pisssed when you fock up, gets mad when you lose at things, and can't roll with it when people laugh at you, don't bother learning to play golf. It'll make you miserable.

If you can accept that you are going to suck for a very long time, and therefore not take it too seriously and laugh at your horrible shots, then learn to play golf.

If you are the type to get pisssed when you fock up, gets mad when you lose at things, and can't roll with it when people laugh at you, don't bother learning to play golf. It'll make you miserable.

I have never played golf for the following reasons.

1. It's expensive.

2. I think I would suck at it.

3. I think I would murder someone and/or throw my clubs into traffic (see 2.)

I have never played golf for the following reasons.

1. It's expensive.

2. I think I would suck at it.

3. I think I would murder someone and/or throw my clubs into traffic (see 2.)

Cheap ass

I've got five holes left on Bethpage Blacks USOpen st up. If I make it to Murfield, I'll be shocked.

Don't know if I've shared this factoid: I have every score card over the past20 years I've played golf. Every course. Every player I played with. It's an encyclopedia of rounds starting before Katrina and my daughter birth.

• Like 1

Who says we don't have time for 36? :banana:

• Like 1

The whole time, he was leaking my dad, his drinking buddies, secrets to my mothers lawyer. So she crushed him in the divorce. He tried to rent a billboard calling her a wh0re with her photo, but they wouldn't print it. I've seen the markup he had made.

Jerry Springer wants your number... :doh:

I'm 39, and I felt like I hit the back 9 a couple years ago. Some of that is just the reality of having serious health issues, but a lot of it is that I just started feeling like I wasn't on the way up anymore.

This will come off as melodramatic for a 39 year old, but it's not meant to be..... The moment I felt that shift, I started paying more attention to the manner in which people die. You notice some people do it chaotically or in a sloppy manner....but then you see other people do it in a graceful manner that brings peace to those around them. They do it in such a way that it almost enhances their legacy/memory. I'm not planning to die anytime soon, but I'm already trying to learn from watching others, and consequently I'm already trying to behave in a more graceful manner.

The differences are subtle. On the way up, I was a bit more selfish. I pushed some boundaries and slept with some people I shouldn't have...I'd let an argument with a friend sit out there unaddressed....In a work dispute with a boss, I'd push for every inch because I know I'm right and I don't want to lose.... There would be people I think a whole lot of, and while I was nice to them, I was content keeping the words to myself...I'd occasionally see what I felt was an injustice, but instead of rocking the boat and risking my situation, I'd just try to help in a way that didn't put myself at risk.

But now that I'm on the way back down, I have a voice in my head that is directing me to think as if I'll be gone next week.....So I pass on that cheap thrill that may leave someone else a bit of heartache.....I tell my friends how important they are to me and how I'll always love them....I don't fight for every inch and I'll let it be known that other things are more important to me....I have shot past that self conscious thing and will tell people how amazing of a person I think they are and I'll tell them what I admire about them...I'll stand up for principle even if it's to my own detriment...and so on and so on.

Maybe the best way to summarize it is: I assume we've all visualized ourselves as old men, and when we do we see ourselves having a certain mindset and behaving a certain way....Well I'm trying to behave that way now. None of this is to say I was a bad guy 5 years ago, but I'm a better one now I think. And hopefully by the time I actually get to the 18th green, I'll be someone that had a negative impact on very few lives, while having a positive impact on as many lives as possible within my sphere of influence.

• Like 2

I'm 39, and I felt like I hit the back 9 a couple years ago. Some of that is just the reality of having serious health issues, but a lot of it is that I just started feeling like I wasn't on the way up anymore.

This will come off as melodramatic for a 39 year old, but it's not meant to be..... The moment I felt that shift, I started paying more attention to the manner in which people die. You notice some people do it chaotically or in a sloppy manner....but then you see other people do it in a graceful manner that brings peace to those around them. They do it in such a way that it almost enhances their legacy/memory. I'm not planning to die anytime soon, but I'm already trying to learn from watching others, and consequently I'm already trying to behave in a more graceful manner.

The differences are subtle. On the way up, I was a bit more selfish. I pushed some boundaries and slept with some people I shouldn't have...I'd let an argument with a friend sit out there unaddressed....In a work dispute with a boss, I'd push for every inch because I know I'm right and I don't want to lose.... There would be people I think a whole lot of, and while I was nice to them, I was content keeping the words to myself...I'd occasionally see what I felt was an injustice, but instead of rocking the boat and risking my situation, I'd just try to help in a way that didn't put myself at risk.

But now that I'm on the way back down, I have a voice in my head that is directing me to think as if I'll be gone next week.....So I pass on that cheap thrill that may leave someone else a bit of heartache.....I tell my friends how important they are to me and how I'll always love them....I don't fight for every inch and I'll let it be known that other things are more important to me....I have shot past that self conscious thing and will tell people how amazing of a person I think they are and I'll tell them what I admire about them...I'll stand up for principle even if it's to my own detriment...and so on and so on.

Maybe the best way to summarize it is: I assume we've all visualized ourselves as old men, and when we do we see ourselves having a certain mindset and behaving a certain way....Well I'm trying to behave that way now. None of this is to say I was a bad guy 5 years ago, but I'm a better one now I think. And hopefully by the time I actually get to the 18th green, I'll be someone that had a negative impact on very few lives, while having a positive impact on as many lives as possible within my sphere of influence.

have you discussed your health issues here?