Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

2018 Hill Fire is scorching ventura county

Looked pretty bad on the news last night. Has it gone through any towns yet?

Everything has been Election and/or shooting news - haven't heard.............what started these fires?

Great song.... I think this is the first known mention of "Purple Rain" in a song---no it wasn't Prince.

https://imgur.com/a/OEbYD6M

A shot from Calabasas. The rich and famous live on top of that hill like the Kardashians. Its dwarfed by that cloud. A transformer blew and Calabasas lost power. All traffic lights are out and all intersections are 4 way stops. No one knows how to drive in Calfornia so its nothing but car horns and screeching tires. Im shocked theres been no traffic accidents (yet).

Thousand Oaks has been evacuated and everyone went east and booked a hotel room including in Calabasas so now there are people fleeing the fires sitting in a dark hotel room wondering if they need to move again.

People are evacuating their horses as i see plenty of horse trailers heading for the exits i took some video of an innocent horsie in his trailer awaiting safety.

My office is closed for the day. We had a client in for a visit and it was a group of about 10 people and they were sitting in a dark conference room with electric lanterns for light wondering what to do. I bet they booked hotel rooms here that also have no power. Cell phone service was also down so i couldnt message this forum until i left the area.

Horsie!

https://imgur.com/a/v7X1fRw

My wife was supposed to fly in and visit her Grandpa in Malibu today. Instead they're getting an Airbnb somewhere. I told her not to go but she doesn't listen to me!

Everything has been Election and/or shooting news - haven't heard.............what started these fires?

Going out on a limb here, Trump...... :dunno:

Riversco,

Where are you? Down here on the border of Woodland Hills/Calabasas. Picture of the fires from my Mom's front yard:

http://mail.socallounge.com/~aaron/photo/#!Albums/album_576f6f6c7365792046697265/photo_576f6f6c7365792046697265_504152545f313534313739373737323533392e6a706567

I believe that's from the Woolsey fire but we're kind of right between the two. Nurse was here earlier (my mom is in home hospice) asking what our plans are if we get evacuated. I doubt that will happen as it never has in the 45 years she's owned this house and we've had some good fires over the years but damn these two are pretty brutal.

That is intense but videos of people evacuating the 2015 fire in Anderson Springs are incredibly nerve wracking.

Back to the Camp fire though, vehicle owned by a family that barely escaped : https://twitter.com/craftyme25/status/1061031588434141184

My grandparents (both passed in 00's) lived in Paradise so I'm familiar with the town. Grandparents of the guy I'm dating and his aunt and uncle made it out safely but lost their homes. My grandfather wasn't comfortable there for this very reason (was my grandmother's choice) and that was back way before this recent several year drought.

^Yeesh, yeah. Definitely seems plausible. If there are lots of ways out, I'd probably wait for the warning or order. But sometimes it's best to go look at it the best you can and decide on your own if it's time to head out.

eta: Looked at it again. If you have the ability to, I'd definitely scope it out from a wider vantage point and then go with your gut. These fires have been really fast.

^Yeesh, yeah. Definitely seems plausible. If there are lots of ways out, I'd probably wait for the warning or order. But sometimes it's best to go look at it the best you can and decide on your own if it's time to head out.

eta: Looked at it again. If you have the ability to, I'd definitely scope it out from a wider vantage point and then go with your gut. These fires have been really fast.

It's not that simple. If you've been reading my recent posts, I'm in CA taking care of my mom who is dieing from lung cancer. She requires constant oxygen and care. If it were just me I'd already be out of here. Her hospice plan allows me to take her to the local hospital if we have to evacuate but not sure we're at that point yet.

I almost threw into parenthesis that I saw about your mom's situation. Unless you're the only one with her right now (or even if you are, if you can make it super quick) I would just look at it from a wider vantage point if there are any right nearby. If it strikes your gut as dangerous, then take her to to the hospital at your discretion.

Hey Strike, if I remember correctly, you used to live in West Hills, around Valley Circle? We just came back from the Trader Joe’s over there and El Scorpion State park is on fire. :shocking:

Hey Strike, if I remember correctly, you used to live in West Hills, around Valley Circle? We just came back from the Trader Joe’s over there and El Scorpion State park is on fire. :shocking:

We're just below Valley Circle. At Platt Ave just south of Victory. We've been here for 45 years and never sniffed an evacuation but this time I'm concerned it may happen. When it rains it pours I guess.

A covered bridge in the Paradise area built in 1886 burnt down. More than a hundred and thirty years of being unscathed..

I'm just thinking about stories of people who wished they'd taken action before official orders came in.

We're just below Valley Circle. At Platt Ave just south of Victory. We've been here for 45 years and never sniffed an evacuation but this time I'm concerned it may happen. When it rains it pours I guess.

Looks like the wind is in your favor. We’re a few miles from you, hoping we don’t get evacuated either.

Looks like the wind is in your favor. We’re a few miles from you, hoping we don’t get evacuated either.

Crossing fingers for both of us :unsure:

Crossing fingers for both of us :unsure:

:cheers: to that. Here’s to also hoping our fire insurance is up to date.

I have a coworker who lives in Paradise. House is gone. Had to let all of his Arabian horse go free. Sad

Finally someone calls out CA and hold them accountable!

Tweeting from Paris early Saturday, Trump wrote that “there is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly fires in California.” He added that “billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!”

Tweeting from Paris early Saturday, Trump wrote that there is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly fires in California. He added that billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!

Someone needs to tell that idiot that the Woolsey fire did not happen in a forest.

• Like 1

Someone needs to tell that idiot that the Woolsey fire did not happen in a forest.

That does not make the statement inaccurate, you are the idiot for believing this is natural and nothing can be done.

I don't know where is Safe in Cali. Fires, migrants, gangs, etc.

If you try to get away from urban crime, fire and mudslides chase you.

Seriously, I know there's some nice places there. But hell if I know. Their next Chamber of Commerce, tourism guy should think about that crowd.

Tweeting from Paris early Saturday, Trump wrote that there is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly fires in California. He added that billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!

Typical leadership from the POTUS. :thumbsup:

Maybe they should build a wall. Like a fire wall.

I laughed