Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Why do people call dead people "late"

The late Patrick Swayze

If they are dead, do they really expect them to show up on time? :music_guitarred:

Why the fùck can't people just be honest and say the person is fùcking dead?

I think that you use the term if they have been recently deceased, so it is shorter to say "late" than "recently deceased".

I think that it is also technically correct to use it for someone who is a former. In other words, you could call the former president of your company, the "late President"...

I think that you use the term if they have been recently deceased, so it is shorter to say "late" than "recently deceased".

I think that it is also technically correct to use it for someone who is a former. In other words, you could call the former president of your company, the "late President"...

I heard someone say the late today when refering to someone than died 5 years ago :music_guitarred:

as in "late...for NOT being pregnant" :pointstosky:

For the record, Maggie O'Hooligan may have possessed the worst fake Irish accent EVER.

as in "late...for NOT being pregnant" :wacko:

For the record, Maggie O'Hooligan may have possessed the worst fake Irish accent EVER.

For the record, she (Sarah Holcomb) also played the 13 year old that Larry banged on the football field in Animal House. She fell off the face of the earth after Caddyshack.

For the record, she (Sarah Holcomb) also played the 13 year old that Larry banged on the football field in Animal House. She fell off the face of the earth after Caddyshack.

The ACME Animal House webpage gives the following information about Sarah Holcomb: [Her] four-year film career ended with Caddyshack in 1980. She reportedly turned to alcohol and drugs and slowly lost touch with reality as she suffered from schizophrenia. The 2004 film Stateside is reportedly about her descent through alcohol, drugs, sexual abuse and finally mental illness. I am told she is now living a quiet, obscure life far from the madness of Hollywood under an assumed name and does not wish to be found.

as in "late...for NOT being pregnant" :first:

Oh great! That's all I need! (Said with bad Irish accent)

work for a newspaper and can't stand this. i change it almost every time. its gotten to a point where it is just used so often ... its hard to stay on top of.

it actually is in the Associated Press stylebook as acceptable I believe.

work for a newspaper and can't stand this. i change it almost every time. its gotten to a point where it is just used so often ... its hard to stay on top of.

it actually is in the Associated Press stylebook as acceptable I believe.

Do you mind it generally or because of overuse?

Not sure if edjr is serious about how he sees late as limited to meaning past due. Since like mentioned, it can also mean existing in the recent past, it's not being misused.

If it's applied to someone who was renown and didn't have many peers, I think the window of what defines 'recent' widens. "The late economist..." versus the dictionary example below.

The sense of "deceased" (as in the late Mrs. Smith) is from 1490, from an adv. sense of "recently."

Why the fùck can't people just be honest and say the person is fùcking dead?

Since that's journalistic the writer has a responsibility to give context the reader may find important. Most people are going to be aware that Swayze died recently, but there could still be some wondering when he died if it just said "the deceased Patrick Swayze."

As for general use, I'd guess 'dead' is steered away from when people want to use a respectful tone, because it can sound abrupt and detached. Doesn't always, depends on the context.

i thought this thread said, "why do people call people late."

i was going to 'out' edjr as that is a gay word that means (urbandictionary):

Something that is out of vogue, style or fashion

to be boring,unimaginative, lacking innovation and so yesterday.

A term to mean someting is tired, no good, lacks taste, ugly, any negative description.

Very popular among black gay men.

i thought this thread said, "why do people call people late."

i was going to 'out' edjr as that is a gay word that means (urbandictionary):

Something that is out of vogue, style or fashion

to be boring,unimaginative, lacking innovation and so yesterday.

A term to mean someting is tired, no good, lacks taste, ugly, any negative description.

Very popular among black gay men.

two thousand late :wacko:

word :dunno:

Do you mind it generally or because of overuse?

Not sure if edjr is serious about how he sees late as limited to meaning past due. Since like mentioned, it can also mean existing in the recent past, it's not being misused.

If it's applied to someone who was renown and didn't have many peers, I think the window of what defines 'recent' widens. "The late economist..." versus the dictionary example below.

no, i just don't like using it. it was something that was drilled into me very early in my career.

'they're not late. they're never getting there.' they're dead people. idk. i have a ton of pet peeves and this is near the top of my list.