Sign in to follow this  
R8RMick

Jerry Jones is fixing to screw the pooch. Again.

Far be it from me to defend Jerry in general, but in this particular pount I think he is being smart.

RBs just aren't worth a lot in today's NFL. Generally you do not devote a significant chunk of your cap space to the position.

Now is Murray a special talent that constitutes an exception to the rule? I don't know, but even if he is--look at how much good having ADP did for the Vikings. Awesome running back but they still couldn't win much because they're passing game stunk.

Far be it from me to defend Jerry in general, but in this particular pount I think he is being smart.

RBs just aren't worth a lot in today's NFL. Generally you do not devote a significant chunk of your cap space to the position.

Now is Murray a special talent that constitutes an exception to the rule? I don't know, but even if he is--look at how much good having ADP did for the Vikings. Awesome running back but they still couldn't win much because they're passing game stunk.

well, its hard to get rewarded for building your passing offense around christian ponder

Murray is a result of great oline. Let someone else break bank. Rbs are easy to replace

Amen brother . Some one is going to over pay for a Murray

lol.

what makes me laugh is that everyone is citing the 4/$16M offer, without realizing that it's the same offer that has been on the table since preseason.

any writer who fails to mention this is someone from whom you should not be getting your opinions.

Murray is a result of great oline. Let someone else break bank. Rbs are easy to replace

i won't say that he's the result of the o-line--murray is a talented runner and a great locker room presence, but you can't have gold-plated everything. of all the skill positions, his production is the easiest to replace. especially if replacing him improves the defense that he had to help protect last season.

i want to see murray with a star on his helmet next season, but i want a pass rush and better secondary play more. i want ro mcclain at MLB and lee at WLB. i want a SDE who can set the edge against the run, and still has enough bend to create pressure. and i would do damn near anything to get a centerfielder FS who can finally make single high coverage dangerous to the other team.

i can get most of that, or i can keep murray at $8M.

i'll take the former, even if it means letting go of a guy who i really think a lot of.

lol.

what makes me laugh is that everyone is citing the 4/$16M offer, without realizing that it's the same offer that has been on the table since preseason.

any writer who fails to mention this is someone from whom you should not be getting your opinions.

Am aware of such, and wouldn't pretend to insult your knowledge referencing the story. What IS relevant however is DeMarco's comments. He's getting fed up with this situation and it's showing.

I hopped on their bandwagon last year because the Cowboys proved something I've been claiming here for a long time. That establishing a power running game can lead to remarked success in the NFL. The fact they did so with that defense made it even more remarkable. I know, I know... As you said this is only more reason to address the defense. But any success the defense enjoyed last year was a DIRECT product of DeMarco Murray. So in effect removing him from the equation has the biggest tangible effect.

I don't know how much credibility I have in this place, I know I'm in the minority with this train of thought. But if they let Murray walk, that's a .500 football team again. And a very real window of opportunity to see a super bowl title will be slamming closed.

Bank it.

In today's league you definitely need a good passing game. That being said, it also helps if your rb is actually pretty decent. Look at the patriots. Great Qb and pretty solid passing game with a mediocre running game. On the flip side you have the Seahawks who have an awesome running game with a mediocre receiving game. Each has their own benefits.

What IS relevant however is DeMarco's comments. He's getting fed up with this situation and it's showing.

murray's comments, as of a couple of days ago:

"it's just finding what helps them...what helps me".

"it's about winning the super bowl. if this place gives me the best chance, i'm going to stay here."

constantly using the term "we" to describe the team. showing up at functions with other players. players and coaches verbally supporting him to the media.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/12308323/demarco-murray-dallas-cowboys-playing-free-agency-close-vest

do you honestly think he's going to jump ship to, say, OAK for anywhere near the same amount of money? i strongly doubt it. IMO, he'll stay in DAL for $6-6.5M. to go anywhere other than a top team, he'll want 8.

and as i've posted elsewhere, failure to substantially improve the defensive talent means that murray is the most important part of your offense and your defense. so if if you sign murray to a big number and he goes down, that's the end of your season. IOW, it would be paying huge for a superstar, at the expense of quality team depth.

and that has been JJ's real mistake for the last 15 years. stephen and garrett have been working really hard to rectify this over the last few years by building good depth, so it would be a shame to quit now.

The reason you don't overpay RBs is that most of them are used up after 3-5 years if heavy use. Thy said ... Murray is worth significantly more to the Cowboys that $4m/year and they're nuts if they think he's going to walk and they'll replace that production with a RBBC.

The drafting of Zack Martin last year and letting DeMarco Murray leave this year would be Jerry's best two moves in ages as long as he locks up Dez.

team sources report that melton's option is not going to be picked up--no surprise there.

since his deal was already included in the league's 2015 cap number, this frees up $8M instantly.

I'd hope the Cowboys could retain both Murray and Dez but all indications are that they don't have the cash to pay both. If somehow they could pay both, they can't get any help on D. I'm not a Cowboy fan nor am I use to defending Jerry but he isn't screwing the pooch, he's making a sound decision.

The drafting of Zack Martin last year and letting DeMarco Murray leave this year would be Jerry's best two moves in ages as long as he locks up Dez.

Yes, this is reality in todays NFL, the OP is just blasting hate and uneducated nonsense.

Since Im in agreement that the Cowboys "cant",,,, wont,,, keep both Bryant and Murray, and Murray leaves, I will continue to contribute to the debate between Gurley and Gordon, its like beating a dead horse really, but I understand why some dont agree, but Ive grown old with the same two eyes in my head, and they have given me clear vision to this point.

I know Im in the minority who had and continues to have Gurley as the second running back in this draft class. I’m not saying he isn’t a great prospect, because I think he is, I just think Gordon is a touch higher. My main concerns with Gurley are running style and his ability to make defenders miss in a small hole. With his style, he is a downhill runner who runs very upright. He doesn’t get his pads low enough to actually run through people, instead he bounces off of many hits and stays up due to incredible balance. Taking those big hits from defenders in the NFL might open him up to more injuries. As for my other concern, he had a lot of huge holes at Georgia, as a lot of great college runners get. The problem is he was often rather stiff in the hips and not as sudden in the small holes as I would like from a running back at 1A. He instead just tries to power through. With that said, I’m splitting hairs a bit here and I definitely can’t fault anyone for taking Gurley first overall over Gordon.

Why I stand firm on Gordon.. He has all of the agility and speed of LeSean McCoy and Jamaal Charles in a larger frame. At 6’1” and around 215 pounds, he has the size to be an every down back in the NFL. He showed improved ability in the passing game this year, both as a blocker and a receiver even though he wasn’t used all that often as a receiver. As a rusher, he proved he can carry the load and do so effectively. He had 12 of his 14 games with over five yards per carry and five of them over eight yards per carry. People can talk about Wisconsin’s offensive line as the reason, but it was so much more than that. Gordon can create on his own and turn nothing into something great in the blink of an eye. He made Wisconsin’s line look better than they really are this year. If he wasn’t sitting down so much in the fourth quarter of games, he would still have the single game rushing record (he rushed for 408 yards on 25 carries in three quarters against Nebraska) and probably hold the single season rushing record as well. If you haven’t figured it out yet, I’m in the minority who did and still do have Gordon as the top running back in this class.

I don't see the problem - Murray is absolutely deserving of whatever he can get, more than likely upwards of $7-9m a year. But that figure not only doesn't work here, it hinders your ability to improve the weakest part of this team. Even if Murray comes back - you've not improved your team, you've not done so bcoz the defense is still the same. D. Murray wasn't the reason we didn't advance past GB - the reason is bcoz we couldn't stop A. Rodgers.

Jerry is absolutely taking the correct stance with this. In fact it's refreshing to see - the old Jerry would of backed the truck up and over-payed for Murray. But we saw it with D. Ware - and that philosophy is still in play today. And I'm glad - the old way didn't work.

If you haven’t figured it out yet, I’m in the minority who did and still do have Gordon as the top running back in this class.

you've talked a lot about running ability, but the real determinant will be pass protection. if a RB can't come in right away and pick up blitzes properly, DAL will not spend a high pick on him. every offensive pick they make has to leverage their investment in romo.

i am more willing to think about a RB in the 1st 2 rounds, due to the structure of the team. spending 27 on a D-lineman will not bring instant results. except for truly elite players (think top-5), D linemen generally do not make an immediate impact. furthermore, marinelli's scheme relies upon rotation, so you'd be spending a 1st round pick on a guy who might get 550 snaps instead of 1000. and this draft is deep on the D line.

so now we're looking at secondary, LB, or RB as the primary need areas. let's assume that murray leaves, and ro mcclain stays. this makes the secondary top priority. more than anything, DAL needs a true FS, but there isn't a 1st round candidate in this draft class. OTOH, there is a number of CB candidates who should be available in that range. but a late CB is a long shot to make the starting lineup. that leaves RB. IMO, this might actually be the best use of the pick in terms of immediate impact, value, and cap considerations down the road.

the other alternative is a trade scenario--either a simple trade down (more likely), or finding someone who will give picks next season (less likely).

you've talked a lot about running ability, but the real determinant will be pass protection. if a RB can't come in right away and pick up blitzes properly, DAL will not spend a high pick on him. every offensive pick they make has to leverage their investment in romo.

i am more willing to think about a RB in the 1st 2 rounds, due to the structure of the team. spending 27 on a D-lineman will not bring instant results. except for truly elite players (think top-5), D linemen generally do not make an immediate impact. furthermore, marinelli's scheme relies upon rotation, so you'd be spending a 1st round pick on a guy who might get 550 snaps instead of 1000. and this draft is deep on the D line.

so now we're looking at secondary, LB, or RB as the primary need areas. let's assume that murray leaves, and ro mcclain stays. this makes the secondary top priority. more than anything, DAL needs a true FS, but there isn't a 1st round candidate in this draft class. OTOH, there is a number of CB candidates who should be available in that range. but a late CB is a long shot to make the starting lineup. that leaves RB. IMO, this might actually be the best use of the pick in terms of immediate impact, value, and cap considerations down the road.

the other alternative is a trade scenario--either a simple trade down (more likely), or finding someone who will give picks next season (less likely).

I totally agree about pass protection, and if not one of the top RBs, going OL again would be a very prudent move...

Cameron Erving, RT, Florida State, 6'5", 310. This monster is versatile. He possesses outstanding feet. It is rare that he isn't going to have a power advantage over someone. He was a DT. Moved to LT. Played some of last year at Center. A pure athlete who is only going to get better and make our OL not only elite, but solid for a decade.

The fan base is rather polarizing when it comes to Romo, but the bottom line is Romo is Dallas only hope, and if he gets hurt this team is probably sub.500.

Better keep him upright, and why I think this team will keep protecting their investment with early picks.

Yes, this is reality in todays NFL, the OP is just blasting hate and uneducated nonsense.

Since Im in agreement that the Cowboys "cant",,,, wont,,, keep both Bryant and Murray, and Murray leaves, I will continue to contribute to the debate between Gurley and Gordon, its like beating a dead horse really, but I understand why some dont agree, but Ive grown old with the same two eyes in my head, and they have given me clear vision to this point.

I know Im in the minority who had and continues to have Gurley as the second running back in this draft class. Im not saying he isnt a great prospect, because I think he is, I just think Gordon is a touch higher. My main concerns with Gurley are running style and his ability to make defenders miss in a small hole. With his style, he is a downhill runner who runs very upright. He doesnt get his pads low enough to actually run through people, instead he bounces off of many hits and stays up due to incredible balance. Taking those big hits from defenders in the NFL might open him up to more injuries. As for my other concern, he had a lot of huge holes at Georgia, as a lot of great college runners get. The problem is he was often rather stiff in the hips and not as sudden in the small holes as I would like from a running back at 1A. He instead just tries to power through. With that said, Im splitting hairs a bit here and I definitely cant fault anyone for taking Gurley first overall over Gordon.

Why I stand firm on Gordon.. He has all of the agility and speed of LeSean McCoy and Jamaal Charles in a larger frame. At 61 and around 215 pounds, he has the size to be an every down back in the NFL. He showed improved ability in the passing game this year, both as a blocker and a receiver even though he wasnt used all that often as a receiver. As a rusher, he proved he can carry the load and do so effectively. He had 12 of his 14 games with over five yards per carry and five of them over eight yards per carry. People can talk about Wisconsins offensive line as the reason, but it was so much more than that. Gordon can create on his own and turn nothing into something great in the blink of an eye. He made Wisconsins line look better than they really are this year. If he wasnt sitting down so much in the fourth quarter of games, he would still have the single game rushing record (he rushed for 408 yards on 25 carries in three quarters against Nebraska) and probably hold the single season rushing record as well. If you havent figured it out yet, Im in the minority who did and still do have Gordon as the top running back in this class.

Apologies, did not mean to hurt your feelings by blasting the owner of your football team lol... If you feel comfortable defending the football IQ of Jerry Jones, well by all means bust a move Beavis.

I would take exception to you referring to my take as "uneducated nonsense." I live here in Arlington, have since 1998. I work with Cowboy fans, all my friends are Cowboy fans, I get Cowboy football 24/7. And while I've never been a fan I have high respect for the way they played football last season.

I submitted an opinion on this bored, of which I'm entitled. I'd like to propose that most of my takes here are fairly solid, and expand that to include my analysis of the 2014 Dallas team, which BTW I felt could play with any NFL team.

They'll let Murray go, and we'll re-visit this topic at appropriate time. But I will say this... You spending three paragraphs to enlighten us as to the merits of any rookie running back Dallas might draft, without bringing up the ramifications on whether or not they can stand up blitzing NFL linebackers, displays 'uneducated nonsense.'

Have a great day!

Apologies, did not mean to hurt your feelings by blasting the owner of your football team lol... If you feel comfortable defending the football IQ of Jerry Jones, well by all means bust a move Beavis.

I would take exception to you referring to my take as "uneducated nonsense." I live here in Arlington, have since 1998. I work with Cowboy fans, all my friends are Cowboy fans, I get Cowboy football 24/7. And while I've never been a fan I have high respect for the way they played football last season.

I submitted an opinion on this bored, of which I'm entitled. I'd like to propose that most of my takes here are fairly solid, and expand that to include my analysis of the 2014 Dallas team, which BTW I felt could play with any NFL team.

They'll let Murray go, and we'll re-visit this topic at appropriate time. But I will say this... You spending three paragraphs to enlighten us as to the merits of any rookie running back Dallas might draft, without bringing up the ramifications on whether or not they can stand up blitzing NFL linebackers, displays 'uneducated nonsense.'

Have a great day!

Pretty weak response, I gotta say

R8RMick...

Wow, take message board responses personal much,,, If my post was offensive to you than thats your take, I wasnt coming after you as much as the usual media dribble that constantly paints Jerry as a total idiot that has no clue how to run and own a franchise. Granted, he has made plenty of mistakes, but at least he has become wiser through the process, and now values those opinions of the people he has surrounded himself with, other wise this team probably would have drafted Johnny Footbal Manziel rather than the excellent more prudent pick of Martin.

and I never said in my post that any rookie RB could come in and replace Murray, my post was comparing the two top RBs that everyone seems to think Dallas will draft if Murray is not resigned.

Im actually on record with taking another OL with the first pick, like we have done the past three years, seems to be working fairly well, and if this team decides to do just that, than maybe I will say that any RB could produce big numbers behind this OL.

For FF purposes, I can guarantee you that if Murray leaves, FF owners will be scrambling to draft the starting RB for the Cowboys despite what they do with their fist pick.

So not sure where all your animosity comes from, and I dont really care either.

I guess you have to look at Gordon or Gurley if both are still there. But I'd rather see the defense addressed - assuming the value is equal.

R8RMick...

Wow, take message board responses personal much,,, If my post was offensive to you than thats your take, I wasnt coming after you as much as the usual media dribble that constantly paints Jerry as a total idiot that has no clue how to run and own a franchise. Granted, he has made plenty of mistakes, but at least he has become wiser through the process, and now values those opinions of the people he has surrounded himself with, other wise this team probably would have drafted Johnny Footbal Manziel rather than the excellent more prudent pick of Martin.

and I never said in my post that any rookie RB could come in and replace Murray, my post was comparing the two top RBs that everyone seems to think Dallas will draft if Murray is not resigned.

Im actually on record with taking another OL with the first pick, like we have done the past three years, seems to be working fairly well, and if this team decides to do just that, than maybe I will say that any RB could produce big numbers behind this OL.

For FF purposes, I can guarantee you that if Murray leaves, FF owners will be scrambling to draft the starting RB for the Cowboys despite what they do with their fist pick.

So not sure where all your animosity comes from, and I dont really care either.

Apologies.

I actually do attempt to treat message board conversations as I would any in life, as if I'm having a face to face conversation. Just feel it works better. Your comment about Dallas taking an offensive lineman in Round 1 jumped out at me, as it's the exact path I called for them to take last season. I actually respected Jones for doubling down on strength by taking Martin, and said as much. Then I read the truth about how he came this close to picking Manziel. Being a Raider fan I've experience dealing with meddling owners. The difference in my case was Al Davis was actually respected at one time for being an innovative football mind, no matter how long ago. Jerry Jones is a card shark, who's dragged the most renowned NFL franchise through the sh*t for no reason other than his massive ego. Living here in Dallas for the past 17 years, I've heard countless tales of his white trash debauchery around town, which the recently released photos only prove. But I digress. I'll stand by the clown statement nonetheless.

I've told the Cowboy fans I've respected on this forum that the type of football the team played last season impressed me, proving there is still room in today's arena-league NFL offenses for power football. I stand by my assertion that at the end of 2014 Dallas could play with any team in the NFL, including both super bowl finalists. I just personally don't see them recapturing that chemistry without Murray, and in some ways am disappointed. For the life of me I can't say why, as I detest the team. I suppose their style of play just impressed me so much.

By the way, your call for going O-line again in Round One is a bold one and one I heartily respect. Just don't let Jerry anywhere near the podium. Also your take on Murray's replacement being a high round fantasy pick is also probably correct.

I'm becoming more and more convinced - rb is not the way to go in the 1st, or even 2nd round. The position's role and value has changed so much recently that it just doesn't make sense to reach early for one - even in times where a need is clear.... I went back and looked at recent Running Backs taken in the 1st round - went back to 2009 bcoz that's a pretty good sample size, plus it represents the position In today's game.

2014 = None selected

2013 = None selected

2012 = Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson

2011 = Mark Ingram

2010 = C.J. Spiller, Ryan Matthews, Jahvid Best

2009 = Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown, Beanie Wells

Can anyone point out the future HOF's on this list? Anyone point to a player here that single handedly changed a franchise or put them over the top - turning them into a championship caliber team? Anyone on the list who couldn't be easily replaced or done w/out? Anyone on the list who you couldn't of found similar value later down the draft? Combine this with the fact none of players on this list came into the league with the offensive line that the next Cowboys' running back will have - just doesn't make sense to go out and get one in the 1st round. In case all forgot - Murray was a 3rd round pick.

• Like 1

I'm becoming more and more convinced - rb is not the way to go in the 1st, or even 2nd round. The position's role and value has changed so much recently that it just doesn't make sense to reach early for one - even in times where a need is clear.... I went back and looked at recent Running Backs taken in the 1st round - went back to 2009 bcoz that's a pretty good sample size, plus it represents the position In today's game.

2014 = None selected

2013 = None selected

2012 = Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson

2011 = Mark Ingram

2010 = C.J. Spiller, Ryan Matthews, Jahvid Best

2009 = Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown, Beanie Wells

Can anyone point out the future HOF's on this list? Anyone point to a player here that single handedly changed a franchise or put them over the top - turning them into a championship caliber team? Anyone on the list who couldn't be easily replaced or done w/out? Anyone on the list who you couldn't of found similar value later down the draft? Combine this with the fact none of players on this list came into the league with the offensive line that the next Cowboys' running back will have - just doesn't make sense to go out and get one in the 1st round. In case all forgot - Murray was a 3rd round pick.

You can go back even farther. The only first round RBs who are worthy of ANY HOF consideration from this MILLENIUM are AD, Marshawn (both 2007), Steven Jackson (2004), and LT2 (2001).

I pretty much agree on passing on first round backs (unless you're talking about a potential stud, and it's a late first rounder that's adding to a playoff team rather than a bad team trying to build around him).

In today's NFL, RBs are an afterthought. And, as much as I've loved watching Adrian Peterson, if you do draft that stud, after the rookie contract, you either have to pay him a LOT of money, or you face a fan revolt for letting an awesome player walk, even if his position makes him not worth it.

I keep going back to what Bryan Broaddus preaches: 3 most important positions on the field: quarterback, one who can get to the quarterback, one who protects the quarterback.

We've got 2 of the three taken care of but we've nobody to rush the qb. Until we do - we will always lose to the A. Rodgers of the world bcoz we can't get off the field on 3rd down. Hell he was hobbled and we still couldn't get to him.. It killed us in Lambeau this past year - it will continue to kill us.

How about drafting Ameer Abdullah from Nebraska?

I'd like to keep Murray because he's proven though, but if he wants too much $ and they let him go, then we need a running back.

abdullah is the guy i have my eye on, but there's a good chance he'll be gone by 60. OTOH, he's a really interesting target if DAL wants to trade out of the 1st altogether.

however, the obvious problem is his size. i'm less concerned about his ability to take a beating than i am about giving up 40# to blitzers. at the moment, DAL doesn't have a reliable blitz pickup guy at all, so this is concerning.

Apologies.

I actually do attempt to treat message board conversations as I would any in life, as if I'm having a face to face conversation. Just feel it works better. Your comment about Dallas taking an offensive lineman in Round 1 jumped out at me, as it's the exact path I called for them to take last season. I actually respected Jones for doubling down on strength by taking Martin, and said as much. Then I read the truth about how he came this close to picking Manziel. Being a Raider fan I've experience dealing with meddling owners. The difference in my case was Al Davis was actually respected at one time for being an innovative football mind, no matter how long ago. Jerry Jones is a card shark, who's dragged the most renowned NFL franchise through the sh*t for no reason other than his massive ego. Living here in Dallas for the past 17 years, I've heard countless tales of his white trash debauchery around town, which the recently released photos only prove. But I digress. I'll stand by the clown statement nonetheless.

I've told the Cowboy fans I've respected on this forum that the type of football the team played last season impressed me, proving there is still room in today's arena-league NFL offenses for power football. I stand by my assertion that at the end of 2014 Dallas could play with any team in the NFL, including both super bowl finalists. I just personally don't see them recapturing that chemistry without Murray, and in some ways am disappointed. For the life of me I can't say why, as I detest the team. I suppose their style of play just impressed me so much.

By the way, your call for going O-line again in Round One is a bold one and one I heartily respect. Just don't let Jerry anywhere near the podium. Also your take on Murray's replacement being a high round fantasy pick is also probably correct.

Thats cool R8Rmick, can I call you Mick for future just cause Im lazy like that,,

I posted on this forum a few months back that Ryan Williams will have significant value, and got blasted at that time as well,, lol, its all good, I still make my moves despite what the public says, but I still stand behind that and think that Randle and Dunbar are both done in Dallas, and its a very prudent move to pick up Williams at this point esp if you dont own Murray.

and its a very prudent move to pick up Williams at this point esp if you dont own Murray.

Moving up for any kind of offensive position is incredibly ridiculous and absurdly unnecessary. I'd rather pay Murray his $9m a year than make a leap that crazy.

I see Peterson as a pipe dream, unless the Vikes cut him and AP gives Dallas a very economic hometown discount. Word is he's pissed at the Vikes for throwing him under the bus. Don't blame him. You can also see a gentleman's agreement that if Dallas trades for him, maybe a 5-6 rounder, he rips up his current deal and signs for a basement bargain. Is his Minnesota contract guaranteed? I know he's got a $15 million plus cap hit, of which $2.4 is signing bonus money.

jones won't make a handshake agreement here, since he would have no leverage at all if AP changed his mind. JJ may not be the best football mind, but the man is a world-class dealmaker, and that would just be bad business. plus, any such agreement would be tampering.

as i wrote in the other thread, everything stops now. no one is going to trade for that contract, because they don;t have to--MIN is must cut him. but they won't do it until after murray sets the market.

If AP gets his way, asked to be traded to Dallas, then Murray is out the door.

Unless something changes, AP can't even speak to the Vikings until April 15th.. Even then, Dallas is not trading for that contract.

DeAngelo Williams is now a FA. He will be 32 in April - but for a year or two, he might be a very useable back at a great price. Certainly free up having to address that position in the draft... Just thinking out loud.