Sign in to follow this  
TD Ryan2

NFL TV Ratings Down Sharply

ESPN's 6.5 overnight for Buccaneers-Panthers last night is network's lowest Week 5 "MNF" rating since acquiring rights prior to 2006 season

In no particular order, these are the reasons:

• Ads and play stoppage - just too many - TD/ad/XP/ad/Kickoff/ad - 20 seconds of football to 6 minutes of Ads
  • Fantasy Decline - it's saturated, every housewife and kid has (had) a team
  • Fantasy Stats Only - those still watching just want stats and red zone, don't care about watching a full game
  • NFL Scandals - from women beating to concussions, "The Shield" is tarnished, the NFL is "dirty" (see: Boxing)
  • Politics - people watch football to escape, relax, not to continue the nightly news and politics
  • Lack of Star Power - there just are not as many exciting players anymore
  • Games on Every Night - yeah, not every night, but you get the point

<p>

• Ads and play stoppage - just too many - TD/ad/XP/ad/Kickoff/ad - 20 seconds of football to 6 minutes of Ads
  • Fantasy Stats Only - those still watching just want stats and red zone, don't care about watching a full game
  • NFL Scandals - from women beating to concussions, "The Shield" is tarnished, the NFL is "dirty" (see: Boxing)
  • Politics - people watch football to escape, relax, not to continue the nightly news and politics

All true.

I watched sports center for 20 minutes today. This is notable because it is the first time in years that I have watched ESPN. They spent the entire time on Kaepernick and Romo. Who focking cares about those two. ESPN is shooting itself in the foot. There are many exciting players this year, why the hell did they spend a third of their show talking about these two players that barely matter.

I understand that these 2 guys are worth talking about, anytime a backup QB is named a starter it is important, and Romo has been a long time starter for a storied franchise. They should have been mentioned and talked about for 1-2 minutes each but 1/3 of the show on these 2 guys is ridiculous.

Why not talk about David Carr, Big Ben, Matty Ice, Zeke, Prescott, Antonio brown, the vikings defense, or perhaps one of the greatest all time linebackers in the making, Luke Kuechly.

I could see why someone would think that there are not stars in the nfl after watching espn today, but that could not be further from the truth.

You left out that Roger Goodell is a turd.

And the anti social/ thuggish behavior on display every game. ODB included.

Today you do not have to watch the games to play FF.

Monday Night Football ratings were down 24 percent in week 5, re-enforcing fears that the ongoing double-digit decline in NFL TV audiences this year is a harbinger of a major viewership shift.

Monday Night Football ratings were down 24 percent in week 5, re-enforcing fears that the ongoing double-digit decline in NFL TV audiences this year is a harbinger of a major viewership shift.

I've hardly watched MNF or TNF this season. It's been an absolutely horrible product. Five years ago, I was of the mind that I could watch an NFL game between even the worst two teams and get entertainment out of it.

There are too many penalties, many of them inconsistently called. The game flow is constantly interrupted by ad bursts. The announcers are focking horrible (ie: Phil Simms and Jon Gruden). The committee approach to many offenses is making even fantasy football a crapshoot moreso than it has been in years past. All in all, it's a watered down shell of what it used to be.

Sure, the streaming numbers are increasing, but it's irrelevant in the grand scheme of TV deals. The NFL has the TV deals signed until 2023. Hell, by 2018 TV in it's current format might be damn near extinct. Fock 'em. Let them suffer and maybe restore some of the things that made football great to watch.

I've hardly watched MNF or TNF this season. It's been an absolutely horrible product. Five years ago, I was of the mind that I could watch an NFL game between even the worst two teams and get entertainment out of it.

You are correct, the product sucks and people are finding it unwatchable. I think the new CBA in a major reason. Union members making tens of millions of dollars a year decided they didn't want to practice to get better. Of course this only works if nobody practices so this was put in the current CBA.

ARTICLE 24

REGULAR SEASON AND POSTSEASON PRACTICES

Section 1. Practice Rules:

(a) During the regular season, padded practices for all players shall be limited

to a total of fourteen, eleven of which must be held during the first eleven weeks of the regular season, and three of which must be held during the remaining six weeks of the regular season. The Club may choose the days of the week on which such practices shall be held. Subject to the foregoing rules, each Club may hold two padded practices during the same week during one week of the regular season, provided that such week falls within the first eleven weeks of the regular season.

(B) Clubs participating in the postseason may hold one padded practice per week, on a day of the Club’s choosing, commencing with the week following the Club’s last regular season game.

© For purposes of this Article and Article 23, a “padded practice” shall be defined as a practice in which players are required to wear helmets and shoulder pads, in addition to any other equipment required by the Club, subject to the exceptions set forth in Article 23, Section 6(B).

(d) On days when padded practices are permitted under Subsection (a) above, on-field Team activity for all players shall be limited to a maximum of three hours per day, including “first period” (i.e., stretching and calisthenics), provided that (i) players may participate in on-field activities with their position coaches for a period not to ex- ceed thirty minutes, prior to the three-hour maximum on-field period; and (ii) any walk- through of reasonable and customary duration (for purposes of this Subsection, such walk-through to be no helmets and walking pace) that is conducted prior to or after the three-hour maximum on-field period shall not count against that limit. The three-hour time limit described above shall begin as soon as position coaches begin to coach players on the field, subject to provisos (i)–(ii) in this Subsection.

Monday night football sucks.

Thursday night football sucks.

They have diluted their product too much. Two out of three football days are awful.

Monday night football sucks.

Thursday night football sucks.

They have diluted their product too much. Two out of three football days are awful.

No way. I like pro football 3 nights a week.

There is one very simple answer to this and I apologize if it was already stated as the primary reason. I only read the first 15 or so posts.

THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL EVERY WEEK.

When they first started TNF it was exciting. When they made it every week it was still exciting because it gave people a little football fix. But the novelty has worn off and now we no longer look forward to NFL Sunday like we used to. It hurts fantasy as well. Think about it. You have 2 days to make waivers free agent moves and trades before the next week is beginning. And later in the year we will get saturday games too. My redraft leagues rarely trade now because of TNF. If a deal isn't done before hand, no one wants to deal until the week is over and then it's back to 2 days to negotiate. Dynasty leagues still trade but it impacts regular redrafts which still makes up a majority of local and work leagues.

Not to mention thr quality of the thursday games generally blows

<p>

Only one I disagree with is star power. There has and always will be stars. We lose a favre, we shift to Manning and brady, those guys are gone or nearing the end and we get a cam newton or Russell wilson.

Star receivers replace star receivers. We don't have moss, TO, Ocho cinco, etc anymore. Now we have julio antonio and OBJ.

Josh norman, jj watt, Richard sherman... there are star personalities on defense as well

The nfl is as popular as ever but cable TV is not. I look at people with cable like I look at people with land line phones now. People are watching games in different ways more often and it brings ratings down as a whole. Interest in the game is prob higher than ever.

The nfl is as popular as ever but cable TV is not. I look at people with cable like I look at people with land line phones now. People are watching games in different ways more often and it brings ratings down as a whole. Interest in the game is prob higher than ever.

Have to disagree. It's just not that important to my friends and I like it was. I went to sleep at 9 last night. Unheard of a few years ago.

Have to disagree. It's just not that important to my friends and I like it was. I went to sleep at 9 last night. Unheard of a few years ago.

That's happens to older dudes

That's happens to older dudes

True, but I was back up at 11 and went to baseball.

I don't care as much as I use too, I thought it was just me, but it is many other people as well.

I thought about it, and couldn't really figure out why, so I asked my sister's friends (she is a senior in high school). Most of them told me why watch the game? We can just check the highlights on Facebook/IG the next day. It isn't just NFL, or the NBA, or MLB, people just don't watch live sports as much as they use to, there are just so many more fun things to do now days. It isn't just sports either, its all shows, movies etc... there is just so much content out there it is hard for anything to get a massive following it use to be able to obtain just ten years ago. Think about it, there aren't any "super shows" anymore that EVERYONE has to watch at 8pm every Tuesday, just doesn't happen anymore, it is a thing of the past.

Last night a game was exhibit A of why it sucks now. A flag fest and 50 commercials. Why do I know so many refs names now? It's not supposed to be that way.

• Like 1

Last night a game was exhibit A of why it sucks now. A flag fest and 50 commercials. Why do I know so many refs names now? It's not supposed to be that way.

I am so happy I only watch the home team now.

it's a much better viewing experience

ANYBODY ELSE ANNOYED BY ALL THE PINK FLAIR?

Did anyone else catch the announcers on ESPN actually calling this out as a potential reason why the ratings are garbage?

I damn near thought Roger Goodell himself was going to come into the booth and shank them for discussing that.

Did anyone else catch the announcers on ESPN actually calling this out as a potential reason why the ratings are garbage?

I damn near thought Roger Goodell himself was going to come into the booth and shank them for discussing that.

Gruden always beats the drum about the flags. Nice to see both of them bring it up.

:thumbsup:

yup, that was Sean McDonough - and he's right.

That game was fockin' painful. Unwatchable really.

There is a reason McDonough has lost every job he has had.

he speaks the truth and isn't a shill for the networks or the leagues.

Good on him.

I dig McDonough...last night's game was unwatchable. I flipped between baseball and some crap on the DVR rather than keep watching that.

Then the NFL finally has a possible marquee game...Pitt and New England...and the rapey QB is hurt. Would have been interesting to see how that game was rated before that.

This Thursday will be fun...the awful Bears vs. the Packers who look completely terrible. I will watching being a Packers fan...but can't see this one getting that much nationally other than Packers fans and degenerate gamblers.

There is a reason McDonough has lost every job he has had.

he speaks the truth and isn't a shill for the networks or the leagues.

Good on him.

100%

NESN canned him through the newspaper (that's how he found out) because he wouldn't drink the Red Sox Kool-Aid.

On a Side Note:

NHL Replay last night - did you see the replay on off sides that nullified Chara's goal?

Holy crap... the off sides was questionable and it happened 20 seconds before the goal was scored... an eternity ago... at least the NFL has a snap on the next play to prevent challenging after a long period of time... REPLAY will kill hockey... fockin' kill it.

If I'm an NHL coach, I challenge EVERY goal if there was a play at/near the blue line... there's only 3 fockin' goals a game, so why not? Terrible. :thumbsdown:

My reasons for not watching more often:

There is a commercial every 5 seconds.

There is a time out every 5 seconds.

The QB throws the ball just to get rid of it every 5 seconds.

There is a punt every 5 seconds.

Someone is injured every 5 seconds.

Focus on a coach instead of the field every 5 seconds.

There is a review on a play every 5 seconds.

The fans are so loud I can't even focus for 5 seconds.

• Like 2

Peenie - you nailed it.

Constant interruptions.

It destroys the game, the continuity, the story, the emotion, etc.

if you stopped a movie every 10 seconds, it wouldn't be surprising if nobody could "get into it".

It's no different for a sporting competition.

Peenie - you nailed it.

Constant interruptions.

It destroys the game, the continuity, the story, the emotion, etc.

if you stopped a movie every 10 seconds, it wouldn't be surprising if nobody could "get into it".

It's no different for a sporting competition.

The guy with the orange gloves needs to be concussed. And Goidell needs MC Hammer to give a teach around.

Goodell: "We're not losing viewers, but some are watching less". Good god. Is it possible that Slownuff is Goodell?

• Like 1

100%

NESN canned him through the newspaper (that's how he found out) because he wouldn't drink the Red Sox Kool-Aid.

On a Side Note:

NHL Replay last night - did you see the replay on off sides that nullified Chara's goal?

Holy crap... the off sides was questionable and it happened 20 seconds before the goal was scored... an eternity ago... at least the NFL has a snap on the next play to prevent challenging after a long period of time... REPLAY will kill hockey... fockin' kill it.

If I'm an NHL coach, I challenge EVERY goal if there was a play at/near the blue line... there's only 3 fockin' goals a game, so why not? Terrible. :thumbsdown:

No time for me to watch any sports right now. watched the 1st inning of the dodgers game last night and went to snuggle with the boy at 8:30 and fell asleep by 9

nobody goes to games anymore, they're too crowded.

If i was near GB id go to more.

TN playjng the Packers in November...secondary market is nuts right now wanting 200+ for crappy upper level seats. No thanks.

If i was near GB id go to more.

TN playjng the Packers in November...secondary market is nuts right now wanting 200+ for crappy upper level seats. No thanks.

real people don't buy tickets anymore, the secondary market does.

stubhub and the likes have ruined the prices of tickets, not ticketmaster.

being able to scalp without leaving the house has ruined ticket prices.

Why did the red sox sell out for 15 years straight at their ridiculous asking prices? the same company that works with the red sox. Stub hub

congress shuts down online poker, doesn't give a sh1t about illegal ticket selling. That's america for you.