Sign in to follow this  
Voltaire

Traditional values

Yeah, there's always that too.

The cheapest way is through Chinese schools. They can work part-time (doing what I do) to pay for school here. Come out debt-free.

It's more bare-bones and far less fun but otherwise picking up all that debt to put up with all those overbearing freaks may be worth it. Also, unlike the American Left, the Chinese university professors actually and respect America. Imagine that, I talk to university professors who rave about how GOOD America is.

The benefit is that starting in China will give kids some culture or experience many never get. People tend to live in a bubble. I know for sure I do in California. When I see parts of the world that are different it blows my narrow mind.

The benefit is that starting in China will give kids some culture or experience many never get. People tend to live in a bubble. I know for sure I do in California. When I see parts of the world that are different it blows my narrow mind.

That's all well and good until Ming Now moves in next door and suddenly Mr. Whiskers is MIA.

Just being a dork.😉

Last time, I went to the US, we spent a month with my mom in the house I grew up in close to Eight Mile. Since then, mom's sold the house and she lives with my sister in Harrison Township, MI which is where we wre until we'd just returned a couple of days ago.

My wife reaction to the visit has been that she's looking up house prices in Harrison Township.

Things are going good over here and I can support my family over here. If I were to return to the US, I'd likely have to suck off the US taxpayer for a living which, if you've read twenty years of my posts where I'm consistently bashing people who suck off the US taxpayer, you can better understand my lack of enthusiasm to returning for good.

Not being able to support a family (which I didn't have then but badly wanted) on substitute teacher pay was a huge reason why I came over here in the first place and since I'm not certain I can find a job that pays any better if I return, I don't intend to... unless my son's school situation forces my hand.

Volty, some thoughts for you...

1. We have to be careful viewing America through the warped prism of the geek club and the links posted here. Most of the people here are scared to death of anything outside their bubble and are hopelessly addicted to politics.

2. Dont send your kids to chink college man. You live here. You know as well as I do that none of them have even the slightest ability to think.

You should be aiming to broaden your kids minds to the largest possible extent. Id send them to school back in the states, or in one of the other English speaking countries if they academically qualify.

The Chinese value an American degree more than a Chinese one. So does the rest of the world.

Your kids, being completely bilingual and educated in America, would be able to write their own tickets.

Volty, some thoughts for you...

1. We have to be careful viewing America through the warped prism of the geek club and the links posted here. Most of the people here are scared to death of anything outside their bubble and are hopelessly addicted to politics.

2. Dont send your kids to chink college man. You live here. You know as well as I do that none of them have even the slightest ability to think.

You should be aiming to broaden your kids minds to the largest possible extent. Id send them to school back in the states, or in one of the other English speaking countries if they academically qualify.

The Chinese value an American degree more than a Chinese one. So does the rest of the world.

Your kids, being completely bilingual and educated in America, would be able to write their own tickets.

I know. It's a long way off.

The advantages of Chinese colleges are affordability and no freakshow but yeah, the downside is more memorize and regurgitate, boring, and no thinking.

I know. It's a long way off.

The advantages of Chinese colleges are affordability and no freakshow but yeah, the downside is more memorize and regurgitate, boring, and no thinking.

And at the end of the day, a useless degree that a billion others have.

I like living in china well enough, since I can earn several times the average salary for nine months of pretty easy work a year.

Live there as a local and compete in that sh!tshow economy? Fock no.

And at the end of the day, a useless degree that a billion others have.

I like living in china well enough, since I can earn several times the average salary for nine months of pretty easy work a year.

Live there as a local and compete in that sh!tshow economy? Fock no.

My kids are already going through it now. :(

My eldest daughter handles it well enough. My son is smarter than his sister, tests well, and keeps up in school but the homework requirement is ruining his life because he doesn't have the patience to sit on his ass for an hour to do an hour's worth of homework ... so instead he sits on his ass for three hours being berated by his mother to do his hour's worth of homework.

Volty, I would think that with your experience teaching and living in China (and maybe some language knowledge?), you could carve out a living in a US school. Cranbrook or a district like Bloomfield Hills, to teach the rich kids about Chiner. :dunno:

Volty, I would think that with your experience teaching and living in China (and maybe some language knowledge?), you could carve out a living in a US school. Cranbrook or a district like Bloomfield Hills, to teach the rich kids about Chiner. :dunno:

Or maybe you could reverse it and you're woman could come over and teach Chinese?

Or maybe you could reverse it and you're woman could come over and teach Chinese?

I have this vision of a tiny (used to be tinier) woman providing Chinese cultural immersion to the kids at a private school by berating them for 3 hours each evening for not doing their homework. :D

Hell, I may go to LegalZoom and incorporate this bad boy right now. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I don't have teacher certification. I'd need a degree in education and I never took a single class. If I want to do something like that, I'd have to start the process from scratch. My wife is the same way.

I don't have teacher certification. I'd need a degree in education and I never took a single class. If I want to do something like that, I'd have to start the process from scratch. My wife is the same way.

You can get a MEd for $6k in one year online...