Sign in to follow this  
phan a tic

Does anybody here have a Peanut allergy

or know anybody that does?

Me = no / no

I'm sure it's a real thang but in 50 years, I've just never come across it.

Several kids I know but, I don't think I've ever met a full grown adult with it..

Do people grow out of this sh!t or are all of the kids that I run across now that have it weakening our species going forward?

I think it has to do with how peanuts are prepared and used... Asia doesn't have peanut allergies like the West does...

My cousin has it bad. Had had a few close calls. thought my son did for quite a few years turned out to be false

I used to work with a guy who has a severe shellfish allergy. So of course he went with us to a sushi place. Without his epi pen. The Asian guy with us knew the owner and asked for some soup that wasn't on the menu; allergy guy takes a sip and afterwards reaches his spoon into the pot to dredge up some shellfish. Uh oh. Just sipping on the broth almost closed his throat. We were ready to call an ambulance but luckily it was so diluted that he recovered.

Back in the day, this went on a business trip with arm manager. They went to a nice restaurant, because our manager weighs about 300 pounds and is a big old Nebraska fed girl. They started wolfing down bread and butter like you was going out of style. Pretty soon the dude's face turned bright red and his throat started closing.

This restaurant was knowing and pretty famous for its lobster butter.

Lol

This restaurant was smart enough to have a stock of epipens behind the counter.

There are signs outside several classrooms at my sons elementary school proclaiming there is someone inside with a peanut allergy.

It's something pusssy kids have. My kid eats peanuts like a normal person. So do I. Shitt I grew up in ga. If you have a peanut allergy in ga. You gonna die honkey.

• Like 1

I do not know of any adults with peanut allergies. When I was cooking, it was not a common restriction for the adults we served. Occasionally for kids though.

gluten is the big one

I thought I did but it turned out it was just the dog. I guess it could have been that bird he always hangs out with.

gluten is the big one

Correction. Gluten is a big one for the 1% of the people who complain about gluten because they have legitimate illness or sensitivity to it. The other 99% are just looking to be high maintenance .

Excuse me? Are these ice cubes gluten free?

• Like 1

I thought I did but it turned out it was just the dog. I guess it could have been that bird he always hangs out with.

Would stock up on epinephrine just to be safe. :wave:

I do not know of any adults with peanut allergies. When I was cooking, it was not a common restriction for the adults we served. Occasionally for kids though.

gluten is the big one

Lol Id be shocked if you knew a single gluten allergic person

Correction. Gluten is a big one for the 1% of the people who complain about gluten because they have legitimate illness or sensitivity to it. The other 99% are just looking to be high maintenance ######.

Excuse me? Are these ice cubes gluten free?

most are a matter of preference, but i have a couple of friends that have celiac disease. there is enough of it out there that i did not want to risk strangers' health.

I have 2 examples here.

My good college friend, Aargyle(some may know him from other sites or IBL), his wife was sickly almost the entire time in her 20's and early 30's. We are talking 5'3" 80-90 pounds, etc. Finally a doctor tested her for celiac disease and immediately her life turned around.

Then there is my mother in law. She went to see a doctor to get tested for celiac disease and it came back negative, so she went to a different doctor and that test came back negative. She still thinks that she has celiac disease along with a host of other food issues. The most baffling of which is she thinks she is allergic to soy.

My mother in law was born and raised in Indonesia and she was dirt poor. She grew up eating soy sauce with every meal until she was in her early 50's. Do you know how hard it is to eat out with an asian that refuses to eat soy or gluten. :wall:

I seem to be allergic to sea scallops but thats it.

Never known anyone with a nut allergy, cept my wife

gluten is the big one

Most people who avoid gluten dont do so because of true allergy - they may be intolerant, or think avoiding it is healthy. Celiac disease isnt technically allergy either.

I have 2 examples here.

My good college friend, Aargyle(some may know him from other sites or IBL), his wife was sickly almost the entire time in her 20's and early 30's. We are talking 5'3" 80-90 pounds, etc. Finally a doctor tested her for celiac disease and immediately her life turned around.

Then there is my mother in law. She went to see a doctor to get tested for celiac disease and it came back negative, so she went to a different doctor and that test came back negative. She still thinks that she has celiac disease along with a host of other food issues. The most baffling of which is she thinks she is allergic to soy.

My mother in law was born and raised in Indonesia and she was dirt poor. She grew up eating soy sauce with every meal until she was in her early 50's. Do you know how hard it is to eat out with an asian that refuses to eat soy or gluten. :wall:

Didn't realize that Aargyle's wife was sick like that, or that he was your college friend. Hope it all works out. :cheers:

Funny, she swallows my nut just fine.

Sorry. Had to be done.

Might be a real thing, but only in extreme cases. Doesn't happen in Africa :dunno:

I'm being serious I am anaphlactic if that's how you spell it :dunno:

Funny, she swallows my nut just fine.

Sorry. Had to be done.

Twas a meatball, straight down the middle

How many meatballs can she stuff in her mouth?

Didn't realize that Aargyle's wife was sick like that, or that he was your college friend. Hope it all works out. :cheers:

She is better now and this was years ago, It was the undiagnosed celiac disease causing the issue. Also I probably exaggerated the issue by accident.

We were good friends for many years, both him and his wife were even in my families fantasy football league for almost a decade, and they even attended my sisters wedding, etc. I do not keep in touch with him much anymore though and probably have not talked to him in 7 years. I was hoping that he would move over to the geek club after the livewire issue.

I don't know if it's an allergy or not, but really the only ones that I could stand were Snoopy and Schroeder.

most are a matter of preference, but i have a couple of friends that have celiac disease. there is enough of it out there that i did not want to risk strangers' health.

Ill give you one of those. The other is lying.

Ill give you one of those. The other is lying.

Nope. I have friends that tell me it's a lifestyle choice. The ones that have celiac get bad reaction from gluten products.

So did you want something? Or did you just want me to say yes I did? :dunno:

Nope. I have friends that tell me it's a lifestyle choice. The ones that have celiac get bad reaction from gluten products.

Celiac is super common; around 1% of the population is supposed to have it.

:D

When I was young I had a huge coughing fit one night, so bad apparently that I did the allergy tests with the pin pricks on my back. Sweet jeebus, according to the results it was a wonder I was alive -- dust, pollen, all kinds of foods (I remember apricots. Really? They test for apricots in podunkville PA?). Also feathers. So I got a foam pillow which was mildly newfangled back in the day at my grandma's house where we were living at the time, everything was fine, and I've essentially almost never experienced allergic symptoms since, including subsequent sleeping on feather pillows. Although I did have acne as a kid and young adult, and I could see such allergies affecting that (I personally believe that acne is much more impacted by internal factors like stress, sleep, possibly allergies and/or immunological challenges than the dermatology industry seems to think).

By celiac do you mean adverse reactions to Monsanto weed killers? :dunno:

Interesting, thats a lot more than I had guessed.