Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***Official Seattle Seahawks Thread 2012***

you guys just got a soldier

Soldier Boy's knees are toast but he still caught 75 balls last year. 6th round pick at best is worth it. Didn't see that coming.

I hope they do something about that contract.

Poor sweetness...BAN HIM MIKE!!! :headbanger:

This post has been edited by Mike MacGregor: Today, 07:28 AM

Reason for edit: Inappropriate comments removed

:unsure:

Ok, so now to the question at hand. I'm now relatively intrigued by Matt Flynn. Rice, Baldwin, Winslow, Zach Miller and Lynch out of the backfield is a pretty good skill position crew. Reasonably, what's the guys upside/ceiling?

Maybe 3500yds, 18TD's and 12interceptions? Don't know if he can run or not, Seattle loves bootlegs which might lead to a couple of rushing TD's around the endzone too. I am excited for the kid but it's going to take some time. Unfortunately he is essentially a rookie with some extra training camps in him, although if he is as competitive as Rodgers was as a backup we could have something.

Seattles offense last year is all about the run, they do take some shots down the field to Rice off of play action periodically but Tavaris missed several times. We still don't really know who is starting where along the O-line either except for Okung. Until the offensive line looks stabilized I would temper expectations for our TE's, which sucks cause Miller looks so sweet based on his years in Oakland. Baldwin and Lynch seem like the main Seahawks to own, and Lynch is likely overpriced considering his consecutive 100yd game streak and just getting paid. I could see drafting Miller and stashing him for later in the year, but I think he might be another one that Draft Pundits will overhype and end up costing too much draft capital wise.

Flynn should be draftable late or obtainable off the waiver wire. I just see him struggling a little bit and taking off in the second half of the season, which is when I would want to roster him. I sure wouldn't mind if he emerged earlier and I was wrong.

what did he have last year?

500 yards passing with 6 td's

Extrapolate that out to a full season

8000 yards passing with 96 tds. :pointstosky:

what did he have last year?

500 yards passing with 6 td's

Extrapolate that out to a full season

8000 yards passing with 96 tds. :pointstosky:

That's just his floor... Can you imagine what his ceiling will be?!?!

:lol: wow, that's great.

Good thing nobody had video of my dad beating my ass whenever Seattle turned the ball over. Back in the Dave Kreig era I was always a bright shade of black and blue during football season. :(

Ouch, that sux. On the other hand every now and then, Krieg would pull lightning bolts out of his arse and sling it all over the field for TDs. Then the next week he'd fumble four times.

Poor sweetness...BAN HIM MIKE!!! :headbanger:

:unsure:

Ok, so now to the question at hand. I'm now relatively intrigued by Matt Flynn. Rice, Baldwin, Winslow, Zach Miller and Lynch out of the backfield is a pretty good skill position crew. Reasonably, what's the guys upside/ceiling?

There are two problems that hurt Flynn's ADP. One should be known before the season starts, the other will take time.

1. It's an open competition at QB, and they are extremely high on Russell Wilson. So there's a not-inconceivable chance that Wilson wins the competition. Pay attention to how they divide the reps at QB in training camp. If your draft is just before the season, we should all know what's what.

2. They may continue to be a run-first offense. Turbin is a Lynch clone so they will now have the ability to power run virtually all game long if they want to and if situations permit.

I may be a fan, but I am expecting good things this year. If Irvin and Wagner pan out, and if Clemons and Red Bryant stay healthy (Clemons b/c he is 31, Bryant b/c their D fell apart last year when he was out), then we have a really formidable D and whomever wins the QB spot is probably an upgrade over Tarvaris. If Irvin does not pan out, if Wagner shows growing pains and if Clemons gets sidelined, the D is not strong enough up front and opposing QBs will get like 6 or 7 seconds every play to stand in the pocket. I really have no idea about Irvin but giving the front office the benefit of the doubt. Successful mid to late round picks like Sherman, Chancellor and KJ Wright tell me that they can draft well on defense, even if they have made some screwups with the offensive draft picks (see Carpenter, James).

Forsett signed with the Texans.

Glad to see him get work with a good team. I don't wish injury upon anybody, but I hope he gets a chance to carry the ball a little behind that offensive line. He's the kind of guy that's worked his ass off to get where he's at and has gotten every last ounce out of his god given talent. I wish him well.

On a related note I can't wait to see Turbin in action.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/05/pete-carroll-seahawks-were-trying-too-hard-competing-too-much/

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 5, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT

AP

Shortly after the NFL and players’ union announced that the Seahawks would lose two days of Organized Team Activities, coach Pete Carroll acknowledged that his team broke the rules about contact at practices. But he put a positive spin on that acknowledgment, saying his players are such good competitors that it’s tough for them to know how hard they can go.

In a video posted at the team’s website, Carroll said the Seahawks only violated the contact rules on a few plays, and did so because they wanted to give a solid effort.

“It’s always about one play here, one play there,” Carroll said. “It wasn’t, you know, play after play after play. It was a few plays that stood out where guys made mistakes trying too hard and competing too much.”

It’s Carroll’s job, however, to make sure that his guys don’t make those mistakes: He oversees the OTAs and is supposed to ensure that the rules about contact at practices aren’t violated. Carroll suggested that the league should do a better job of giving coaches specific examples of what is allowed and what is not allowed at OTAs.

“We haven’t had any film to look at,” Carroll said. “We haven’t had the opportunity to see how it’s supposed to be done.”

Carroll seems to think that going too hard in practice is a good sign about what kind of team he has.

“We’ve had great practices. Our guys have met every expectation. They have worked like crazy to get the job done,” Carroll said. “We probably have stretched this limit, obviously, by this indication, and I’m not surprised by that.”

Carroll’s attitude seems to be that he wants intense OTAs, and if his OTAs get too intense and his team loses a couple of practices over it, he won’t lose any sleep about that.

:lol:

Posted by Josh Alper on June 5, 2012, 5:21 PM EDT

AP

By rule, NFL teams are not allowed to engage in contact during Organized Team Activities.

The Seahawks violated that rule and they will lose two days of practice time as a result. The NFL and NFLPA announced the penalty in a joint statement on Tuesday afternoon.

“The NFL Management Council and NFL Players Association have determined that the Seattle Seahawks violated the Collective Bargaining Agreement’s offseason workout rules on the prohibition of live contact during one of the club’s organized team activity days. As a result, the Seahawks will forfeit two of their scheduled OTA practices (June 6 and 7) as well as an additional offseason workout day on Friday, June 8. Seahawks’ players are not permitted to be at the facility on those days, but will be paid for the sessions. The club cannot reschedule the cancelled days.”

Several members of the Seahawks tweeted about the penalty before it was officially announced. Wide receiver Ricardo Lockette wanted Seahawks fans to know that “its about to go down and we were going hard at practice for you guys.”

This is the first offseason under the rules put in place by last year’s Collective Bargaining Agreement. The CBA limits teams to 10 OTA days, during which players may practice for two hours while wearing a helmet and no other pads. The CBA also requires that OTAs be filmed so that there is a record to refer to in case any drills need to be reviewed.

“The NFL Management Council and NFL Players Association have determined that the Seattle Seahawks violated the Collective Bargaining Agreement’s offseason workout rules on the prohibition of live contact during one of the club’s organized team activity days. As a result, the Seahawks will forfeit two of their scheduled OTA practices (June 6 and 7) as well as an additional offseason workout day on Friday, June 8. Seahawks’ players are not permitted to be at the facility on those days, but will be paid for the sessions. The club cannot reschedule the cancelled days.”

I find it interesting that the players wanted less contact in practices to ensure more player safety when they proposed this new CBA, but then knowingly violated the rule themselves. Best part is, they get paid for the forfeited practices.... Brilliant!

AP

By rule, NFL teams are not allowed to engage in contact during Organized Team Activities.

The Seahawks violated that rule and they will lose two days of practice time as a result. The NFL and NFLPA announced the penalty in a joint statement on Tuesday afternoon.

Several members of the Seahawks tweeted about the penalty before it was officially announced. Wide receiver Ricardo Lockette wanted Seahawks fans to know that “its about to go down and we were going hard at practice for you guys.”

This is the first offseason under the rules put in place by last year’s Collective Bargaining Agreement. The CBA limits teams to 10 OTA days, during which players may practice for two hours while wearing a helmet and no other pads. The CBA also requires that OTAs be filmed so that there is a record to refer to in case any drills need to be reviewed.

Always compete, win forever. :pointstosky:

Where did all the Seattle homors go? I think they must be posting somewhere else. :/

Where did all the Seattle homors go? I think they must be posting somewhere else. :/

Slow time of year. I've been posting in other topics on the board, but barring an unexpected roster move or event, not much reason to post in here until camp starts.

The State of the Team, as I see it. I've been gone for a while, as I promised I would, but it's time to put the disastrous draft behind us and see what the team looks like.

Defense

This is a top 5 defense in the NFL this year. Outstanding secondary, linebackers are OK but at least they are fast, and defensive line will be somewhat improved in getting after the QB.

Without question, when you have a secondary with 3 ProBowlers, and should have been 4, you have the best secondary in the league. Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor are foundation pieces of this team at safety, with Jeron Johnson a very solid backup. The corners of Sherman and Browner are physical and progressing to the shut down types. If Marcus Trufant is going to play the nickel or dime, he has to stop giving so much cushion to the WR. I like Roy Lewis a lot. Walter Thurmond still can't get healthy, which is a shame considering his talent. Winston Guy is looking decent so far in camp. It's completely stunning how this secondary was among the worst in the league 2 to 3 years ago, and then Carroll walks in an overhauls this unit into the best in the league. Stunning.

The linebackers are the weakness of the defense, a far cry from the recent play of guys like Tatupu, Hawthorne. Now, we have emerging KJ Wright and veteran Leroy Hill on the outside and rookie Bobby Wagner in the middle. I suppose that Wagner is smart enough to call the plays on defense, and is a little bit more physically built than Tatupu, but he will not be a tackling machine like Hawthorne and I have no doubt that he will struggle. Carroll and Schneider got too cute in the draft and traded down too far to grab the LB they really wanted, Mychal Kendricks. The problem is that Rudd was signed to play MLB, and he isn't close to being healthy. The depth at LB is very young and very unproven. Malcolm Smith has a chance to contribute.

The defensive tackles will be better. The addition of Jason Jones to rush the passer up the middle will do wonders to improve the defense. Bryant and Mebane and Branch are very good against the run, dubious getting to the QB. Jaye Howard has potential as a rookie. The defensive ends are less problematic since Clemons finally got resigned. He is the only consistent pass rusher from the outside. I hated the pick of Irvin in the first round and stand by that. He has shown flashes of great speed in camp early on, but he has primarily been manhandled by Okung and every other capable Olineman. Irvin has no technique other that be fast. He has a long way to go. But, it seems that he will get more playing time on the opposite side from Clemons. Of course, teams will run all day in his direction, which might save wear and tear on Clemons.

Offense

This unit will determine if the Seahawks are merely a wild card contender, or something much more.

QB

Flynn has the job locked down. No question. He has been the best QB in camp by far. He has a very quick release, leads his receivers, and does a great job of going through his progressions. Seems to move better in the pocket than anticipated. His deep ball can float a bit, but it's still accurate. Russell Wilson has shown some flashes in camp with his strong arm. But he tucks and runs way too much and is throwing a ton of INTs. He's a rookie. Maybe he'll be ready to try to be a starter in this league in 2 or 3 years. Tarvaris Jackson is on the trading block. He still locks onto WRs, runs too soon, and throws to only the right side of the field. Much like Tebow, except that Jackson won zero games last year when his team was trailing in the 4th quarter. Josh Portis seems to know the playbook better than any other QB and will probably be the #3. See ya, Tarvaris.

RB

Lynch is going to be Lynch, with a possible suspension looming. Stupid NFL and their stupid rules. I really liked Robert Turbin at Utah St and he is breaking off some long runs in camp. Leon Washington will get carries. Lumpkin might too. Robinson at FB is fine.

WR

Well, so long Big Mike Williams, hello Terrell Owens and Braylon Edwards. Hey, why not? The WR unit hasn't been able to stay healthy in any year for the last 10 years, so we have a lot of bodies in camp. Sidney Rice has had some bad luck and most importantly non-recurring injuries, so there is hope for him playing this year. Golden Tate is still lazy and talented and lazy. Butler is nothing special. Doug Baldwin has been a revelation. Ricardo Lockette has really improved and looks to be the deep threat. I guess they want Durham to make the final roster, but I don't know why exactly. I like the TO signing a lot. I don't care if he's humble or not. He can flat out play. He's a warrior and he wants to win. I watched the whole circus with him in Philadelphia up close, and I laid the blame at Reid's and McNabb's feet. I guess those two don't smell like roses much anymore. If Owens doesn't work out, then he can be cut, no worries. But when you have young QBs like Flynn and maybe Wilson as the #2, if you have a veteran WR like Owens running routes for you, that can only help. I don't know where things went wrong for Edwards, but I've always liked his talent. No stone left unturned.

TE

Zach Miller will get a lot more passes thrown to him. Flynn likes to throw to his TEs. Don't forget Kellen Winslow, who is being held out of practices so he can play on Sundays, something Tampa Bay was no longer willing to do. This is a very talented TE tandem. John Carlson got hurt again, so good riddance to that dumb draft pick. Morrah or McCoy will be deep depth, but McCoy has bad hands.

O line.

Carpenter is hurt, might not play this season, and will play left guard if he ever returns. So, this first round bust has been moved to another position already. When I call a pick a bust, I'm not crazy. The line really came together when rookies Moffit and Carpenter got hurt last year. Okung, McQuistan, Unger, Moffitt, Giacomini will probably start, and the addition of Tutui adding great depth. I'm not sold on Moffitt, but he is replacable. If Okung can finally stay healthy, this could be a good unit.

Special Teams

No complaints.

If the team can put more points on the board, this team will win 11 games and contend for the division. It's an underrated, scary team built around a potentially suffocating defense and running attack. If Flynn emerges, which is looking likely, this team will be fun to watch, especially the two fist fights with San Fran this year. I'll start to pay attention to camp stuff and see if any players emerge. God, our draft was dreadful. I'm actually looking forward to Owens.

I agree with everything Philly said here on Defense and ST.

Top 5 D is reachable, especially if like he said. The O can sustain drives, and put points on the board, giving the D rest during games.

I think the LB's will be a little better than Philly said, and Farwell has been looking really good. He's a name that should be remembered along with Rudd,Wagner,Hill and Wright.

Everything is gonna come down the the QB, but we already knew that. And I agree. Flynn will be the guy, and anything but epic failures from Wilson or Portis (Or an injury) will make Jackson expendable.

The oline could be very good indeed. I'm alot higher on Moffitt than most, but I really like the kid to progress. If McQuiston and Giacomini can play like last year, this is a really good, young line that will be together for alot of years. I agree that Lutui looks to be great depth, plus a couple other guys not mentioned are Jeanpierre and rookie Sweezy could be solid backups.

At RB, I'm gonna replace Lumpkin with Tyrell Sutton. I feel he can do more, as he plays ST and can also be a backup FB to Robinson. (I think they keep 5 guys there).

TE I think they keep 3, with Morrah beating out McCoy (again barring an injury).

WR will be an interisting battle. I'm not sure how many guys their gonna keep. But I think 4 are locked in. Rice,Tate,Baldwin, and Lockette. That will leave 1 to 2 spots open for roughly 7 guys. (Luckily 3 of them are practice squad eligable). That will be a fun position to watch, and until TO does something otherwise, I'm pulling for him.

I don't think Golden Tate is locked in. With the glut at WR, I think he's finally cut. I don't really want him around. I'd go so far to say that Rice, Baldwin, Lockette and Owens were locked in. Owens is the perfect guy to replace Mike Williams, a big physical WR opposite Rice.

The defense is going to hurt people. Finally we have a unit in Seattle that will punch you in the face and laugh about it. Irvin and Jones should provide just enough pass rush to cause more errant passes to be thrown into our deep, talented, young secondary. This is the part of the team that will be most fun to watch next year.

The offense will be as strong as our offensive line. The young hogs need to step up. Flynn will be decent and at the very least a lot better then what we've had the last couple years. TE depth and veteran band-aids help the receiving corpse. Getting 13 games out of Sidney Rice this year would be a godsend. Tate is gone.

With a certain celebrity now on the roster the Seahawks might be getting more exposure then at any time in franchise history. Hopefully it's mostly positive.

Very good focking news. Just stumbled across the fact that the first exhibition game will be carried by NFL Network Saturday at 10:00 EST. Saves me a lot of trouble in finding a stream. I'll be very interested in seeing how the rookies and free agent signings look. Of course, there is the whole Flynn/Wilson thing too. Toss a few back.

With some extra time to think about it, Carroll comes off as being pretty clever in the Owens signing. He's the dominant story of the offseason in Seattle, and one of the bigger ones across the NFL. Consider, it takes all the pressure and scrutiny off the QBs in their "competition" for the starting job. Well, Flynn specifically. Owens practiced yesterday, with everybody in the media and the fans watching his every move, and he looked really good catching everything in sight. Meanwhile, Flynn had arguably his best practice of camp so far, completing most of his throws, hitting WRs and TEs perfectly in stride up the seams and along the sidelines. Coincidence? I think not.

I still think the draft was poorly executed in the first few rounds. I just can't let that go. However, I'm regaining my enthusiasm for the upcoming season.

With some extra time to think about it, Carroll comes off as being pretty clever in the Owens signing. He's the dominant story of the offseason in Seattle, and one of the bigger ones across the NFL. Consider, it takes all the pressure and scrutiny off the QBs in their "competition" for the starting job. Well, Flynn specifically. Owens practiced yesterday, with everybody in the media and the fans watching his every move, and he looked really good catching everything in sight. Meanwhile, Flynn had arguably his best practice of camp so far, completing most of his throws, hitting WRs and TEs perfectly in stride up the seams and along the sidelines. Coincidence? I think not.

I still think the draft was poorly executed in the first few rounds. I just can't let that go. However, I'm regaining my enthusiasm for the upcoming season.

I heard on sprtscenter all night that owens was thrown to the ground like a little B by one of the CB. It was a solid move to take pressure off of the qb. I dont think he really ran a 4.45 40 though.

The State of the Team, as I see it. I've been gone for a while, as I promised I would, but it's time to put the disastrous draft behind us and see what the team looks like.

Defense

This is a top 5 defense in the NFL this year. Outstanding secondary, linebackers are OK but at least they are fast, and defensive line will be somewhat improved in getting after the QB.

Better go refill that prozac. So let me see if I get this. The Hawks had a disastrous draft (in which they chose 8 defensive players) yet you are predicting a top 5 DEF finish. Talk about cuckoo for cocoa puffs! :wacko:

With some extra time to think about it, Carroll comes off as being pretty clever in the Owens signing. He's the dominant story of the offseason in Seattle, and one of the bigger ones across the NFL. Consider, it takes all the pressure and scrutiny off the QBs in their "competition" for the starting job.

No, they need WRs that's why they signed Owens.

I heard on sprtscenter all night that owens was thrown to the ground like a little B by one of the CB. It was a solid move to take pressure off of the qb. I dont think he really ran a 4.45 40 though.

That was their biggest CB, Brandon Browner. Made the ProBowl last year, his first in the NFL. He's around 6'5". Big guy, so it's no surprise he can throw a WR. It was the first play for Owens too, so he wasn't warmed up yet. The time he ran was witnessed by numerous people and even current players on the roster. Doug Baldwin couldn't stop talking about it.

Better go refill that prozac. So let me see if I get this. The Hawks had a disastrous draft (in which they chose 8 defensive players) yet you are predicting a top 5 DEF finish. Talk about cuckoo for cocoa puffs! :wacko:

The defense by the end of the season was playing up to a Top 5 level as they kept improving through the course of the year and pushing players into starting roles over less talented players. They added players in free agency like Jason Jones. A draft doesn't typically make an impact the first year anyway. Bruce Irvin will play on 3rd downs and some packages, but his role is probably going to back up Clemons. Bobby Wagner has to start because they lost Hawthorne. Everybody else that got drafted is a backup or won't make the team. The offense looks to be very much improved, which will sustain more drives, which will keep the defense off the field and fresher. I don't understand your logic, to be frank.

No, they need WRs that's why they signed Owens.

I've already said that, but thank you for reemphasizing my point, Ma'am.

The oline could be very good indeed. I'm alot higher on Moffitt than most, but I really like the kid to progress. If McQuiston and Giacomini can play like last year, this is a really good, young line that will be together for alot of years. I agree that Lutui looks to be great depth, plus a couple other guys not mentioned are Jeanpierre and rookie Sweezy could be solid backups.

It sounds like Moffitt just got hurt today, something potentially serious with his arm. Looks like Lutui and Sweezy will get their shot. I don't know if that will hurt the starting lineup, but it hurts the depth. I'm curious what the injury report will tell us.

It sounds like Moffitt just got hurt today, something potentially serious with his arm. Looks like Lutui and Sweezy will get their shot. I don't know if that will hurt the starting lineup, but it hurts the depth. I'm curious what the injury report will tell us.

Fock!! Just one season where our O-Line isn't a walking M.A.S.H unit!!!! That's all I ask!!

Go Seahawks!

It made for good theater, even if it wasn’t within the rules.

When Terrell Owens signed with the Seahawks and practiced Wednesday, he apparently violated the rules about when new acquisitions can work with their new teams.

Owens was wearing shoulder pads and going through regular work when he arrived at Seahawks camp yesterday.

League spokesman Greg Aiello explained the process, via Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times: “Players have a 3-day acclimation period during the preseason. Day 1 is for the physical and meetings. Day 2 and 3 the player may participate, but only in helmet and shells or a padded shirt. Day 4 and for the rest of camp is in full pads.”

Whether the league wants to punish the Seahawks remains to be seen, but his involvement clearly appears to be a violation.

Well it's good the NFL takes enforcing these rules so damn seriously. They wouldn't want to put any of that effort into..I don't know....improving officiating?

I hope they nail both Owens and Seattle hard. A example needs to be set.

The NFL is going to follow recent precedent and fine Seattle 60 bucks, make them forfeit all their preseason wins over the past 13 years, and have 8 kids molest Tim Ruskell in the shower.

Too soon?

John Moffitt will have elbow surgery. Out around a month. Deuce Lutui now starting at RG.

My random but certainly self indulgent thoughts from the first exhibition game, the first step on a very promising journey.

Defense

Wow. What can more can you say? Between the starters and some backups that began to replace them, the first 4 possessions for Tennessee went: pick 6, one first down then punt, 4 and out and pushed out of FG range and stopping them on 4th down, and finally one first down and punt. Zero points. Only 2 first downs. The run defense was terrific, almost completely shutting down Chris Johnson and stuffing him for losses several times. Ball hawking secondary getting a pick on the first play of the game. The linebackers were....OK. Wagner seemed to be in a few tackles, I didn't see too much good or bad from Wright or Hill. At first I got excited by the pass rush at the start of the game, only to realize that is was only because Tenn was running screen plays. Jason Jones was very noticeable the way he looked so dominant and I implore the front office to sign him beyond his one year deal; this guy is clearly the biggest difference maker addition on defense this year. Irvin was noticeable, the way he got completely stuffed. He got in one one play, as he group tackled a Tenn RB in the middle of the line. Good. But then they ran to Irvin's side, and got about a 20 yards. Bad. Zero tackles overall. Sigh. The edge rush was absent. They didn't blitz much, but it sure seems like they will have to during the regular season to get to the QB. The middle rush is improved with Jones, which was expected. But it's Clemons and nobody else. Red Bryant was his usually beast self. Trufant looked pretty good, much better than I expected. So, despite my somewhat pessimistic review of some problem areas, overall the defense has the talent and swagger to be among the best in the league. This team is going to rely heavily on the defense to win games.

Offense

QB

Matt Flynn was 11/13 and really should have had a better stat line. Butter fingers Anthony McCoy dropped a pass that hit him in the numbers, and a LB dropped into zone coverage and picked Flynn, a pass that was on target too. Flynn was outstanding. He was facing the deep zone defense of Tenn and was missing his top 3 WRs (Rice, Owens, Baldwin) and starting RB Lynch. He quickly read the defense, fired in rhythm and on target to the best option of what the defense was giving him, which was a lot of short passes to RBs, FBs, and TEs. Sure, he found a few throws to WRs, but he was spreading the ball around, all over the field. He is a game manager and a bonafide real deal starting QB in this league. He ran into trouble the 3rd and 4th series he was in, but that was when the offensive line was all backups and they were letting pass rushers run right by them. Flynn's first drive lasted 9 minutes, he went 6 for 6, and got points on the board. Sweet. Read, set, and throw. It's not that hard. You listening, Tarvaris? You packing yet? Russell Wilson brought more excitement into the game in the 2nd half. Sure, he was facing some real scrubs. But, he looked good. He has very good escapability, which he had in college. He was able to hit some WRs while he was running around. He was giving his Wrs a chance to catch the ball. The TD thrown to Braylon Edwards was not a good throw. However, he threw it up for grabs and gave a veteran WR a chance. Edwards tugged on the jersey of the defender, used his 6'4" frame to create separation, and out jumped the defender. Yahtzee. Wilson threw a bad INT, and ran in TD to ice the game late. While I think Wilson may have been drafted too high, I will temper my doubts and give him a chance. Hey, he might be better than Seneca Wallace. Right? And Flynn is the new Hasselbeck. After enduring the Charlie Whitehursts and David Greens of the world, it's good to be optimistic about the QB position again.

RB

Leon Washington is long recovered from his leg injuries and looked damn good running at the start of the game through gashing holes the line created for him. He had good burst and is certainly going to get carries in games this year, more than ever. Turbin was inconsistent. First, he has some good hands and will be effective catching the ball out of the backfield. His running looked indecisive at times, which echoes what Cable told the media this week. He showed some signs of his potential with a couple of nice 10 yard runs. But he had far too many 1 yard carries, with his pitter patter at the line and the inability of the backup lineman to create holes. He needs to run through people, like Lynch has perfected. Michael Robinson continues his solid all around play.

WR

With Rice, Baldwin, Owens sitting out, the rest of the WRs needed to step up to lay claim to roster spots. Lockette was out too, but he's been dropping a lot of balls in camp, so he's become shaky. The other WRs last night were under pressure, and they pretty much all flopped. Just embarrassing. Kris Durham is probably going to be cut next week in the first wave. He's useless. I harp on the draft picks, but this one really made me apoplectic last year. A 4th round bust. Deon Butler doesn't do anything special at anything. Golden Tate gets praised by Carroll this year for his camp work. Then he disappears in games. They simplified his role and play book, as this is his third year, and he still can't learn sh!t. Lazy route runner. Obomanu, hey thanks for helping out when all our WRs were hurt the past few years, but if we get a replacement special teams player for you, you're probably gone. The rest are prospects for the practice squad. Braylon Edwards looked good, mostly by default. He is no longer competing for a spot with T.O., but they are both going to make this team. You can't cut capable WRs when the young guys just aren't that good. They can't get open, can't get separation. Lockette has potential, but get some stick'em on those hands. So, the WRs that will make this team: Sidney Rice, Doug Baldwin, Terrell Owens, Braylon Edwards. Ricardo Lockette probably makes it. Everybody else is on the bubble. And we will draft a WR in the first or second round next year. Guaranteed.

TE

Zach Miller caught two passes and I was giving the TV a standing ovation. The offense is going to be using TEs this year. Until he left the game with his supposed 4th concussion in 3 years. Uh oh. He'll be back for the season opener I suspect, but the way the league is becoming all faggity about head injuries and the lawsuits, they might start forcing 4 game sit outs by players. I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of crap like that kicked in soon. Anthony McCoy is a drive killer. Look, he was good value in the 6th round and he's made the team a few years. But he drops very catchable passes at the worst times. I was a two way player in football in my youth. Defensive tackle and Tight End. I understand the position. Let me tell you, I could drink a 1.75 liter bottle of rum, stagger onto the field, and caught that pass with one hand. And I have. But enough about my drinking problem. McCoy has got to go. When we finally see Winslow in a game, he'd chew off his right arm before he drops that puppy.

Offensive line

Outstanding blocking on the first drive, gaping holes for the RBs, time for Flynn to thrown. The backups came in, and the lack of depth of was evident. It's tough when the backups are suddenly in the starting lineup, because the backup backups suck. Sure, I'm no fan of Carpenter or Moffitt, but at least they are bodies. We can't lose any of these starters.

Summary

The starters looked terrific as the first quarter was a dominant performance. The scrubs were not so good, as Tennessee seemed to play better in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. It's a fragile system. The brain trust has done a wonderful job of churning a crap roster and come up with a hell of a starting team. The backups need fixing. And they better be honest when the cuts come around and not protect higher draft picks just because they were higher draft picks. The game was an enjoyable watch. More than anything else, how can one come away from this game with anything less than hope?

I was only able to watch a few chunks of the game last night. Some sporadic thoughts as they come to me:

Jason Jones really stood out and was a great pick up this season. For the first time in almost 5 years we should get some genuinely good QB play. Both guys looked sharp, with Wilson having some serious upside. I can see us starting Bryalon and TO most the season. Other then Baldwin and Mike Williams' surprise year this team has really bombed with WRs. Zach Miller's concussion sucks and probably ensures McCoy makes the team.

God DAMN our secondary is good. Earl Thomas is everywhere, lots of size, super deep at corner. I dont wan't to get carried away but this could be the best overall unit in the league. The defensive backfield is clearly Carroll's strength. As excited as I am for our defense, we would still be in a world of trouble if Chris Clemons gets hurt. I'm a little puzzled we haven't found another middling veteran in Clemon's mold to help out the pass rush. They need to limit Irvin to clear passing downs early because he's nowhere ready to be an every down player. Still, you can see the speed and quickness. If they can harness this guy's talents....