Sign in to follow this  
Old School

Old Schools Job Search May be Coming To An End

Some of you may recall I lost my day job at the end of February. Cost savings initiative to cut the salaries of long term employees.

Companys version of severance pay is called transition pay- got a signed agreement where they agreed to keep us on payroll and insurance for six months.

They stopped payments at the end of April with no notice. Im running out of cash.

Meanwhile- Ive applied for 119 job openings. Had some good phone interviews and some good in person interviews.

And then theres the places who dont follow up at all.

So- last Monday I interviewed for a gig at a small copy machine company. Pay is half what I used to make. Insurance sux and so does the retirement plan. Not many paid holidays either.

They have a staff of about 5 buyers and want a #2 to support the current manager.

They called 10 minutes after my interview and offered me the gig. I dont want it- but I have to make some money.

So I accepted with the condition I dont start until the 25th.

Thats kind of a d!ck move on my part because I had more interviews with other companies lined up. This place is the fall back plan in case the others dont come through.

Last Thursday I interviewed with a government contractor- good pay and a good place to work. Interview seemed to go good. There were 39 applicants and they narrowed it down to 6 people being interviewed for 2 openings.

Monday I have an interview with the state- even less money but a ton of benefits and a lot of paid time off. Work 5 years and be vested for retirement pay at a portion of salary.

Tuesday I have an interview with a manufacturing facility- looking for someone to take over for a guy who is retiring. Pretty much a one man band- doing everything under the sun. I dont think its a great fit but I am following up.

Wednesday is the big one. Its manufacturing which is what I like. Ive had 3 phone interviews with 3 different people in the company. The big honcho is flying in for the live interview this week. Pay is roughly what I was making at my old place. Seems like we agreed on all the scenarios we discussed on the phone.

So- by the end of the week my future will be a lot clearer.

Anxious and nervous but ready to get going again.

• Like 1

Good luck. I hope you filed for unemployment immediately.

Good luck man. I hate when people like you are willing to work and want to find a job but cant seem to. Do you qualify at al for unemployment? I wish you the best man. Ive been out of work for a few weeks and was going stir crazy. Sleeping in is nice but not making as much and not much to do during the day sucks. Been spending a lot of it at the lake since its summer. Hopefully you bounce back soon

Good luck. I hope you filed for unemployment immediately.

Thx- the bastages keep promising to catch up on the payments and told everyone not to file for unemployment- go figure.

I have filed. And it gets complicated.

good luck amigo. hoping for the best

Wishing you all the best!

• Like 1

Some of you may recall I lost my day job at the end of February. Cost savings initiative to cut the salaries of long term employees.

MAGA :thumbsdown:

MAGA :thumbsdown:

Been going on for ages. Has nothing to do with Trump. I worked at a fortune 500 company and was the IT manager of one of their biggest offices. Every year, just before bonus payout time, I'd be handed a list of names of people that were getting laid off. It would have a schedule of when they were meeting with management/HR to be laid off and, while they were having that meeting, I'd be removing their network access. Sucks but it's how business works sometimes. The flip side is I've worked at small and large companies alike I've always had a better work environment, benefits, and pay at the large companies. So, while I find practices such as this distasteful to say the least, I'd still rather work at a large company over a small one.

GL man. Hope you get one of the jobs you want and don't have to settle for one you don't.

Good luck, buddy. At least you have a fallback for the short term. Stay positive and remember everything always has a way or working itself out.

All the best.

Some days, the cliche 'Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life' makes more impact and more sense than other days and that's where you are.

Hopefully next week finds you in a good place.