Sign in to follow this  
nzoner

Am I wrong/screwed here? (A little long)

This will not end well.

Nope. But the SIL has to live with the BIL parents, and that ain't ending well either, because ultimately, they are a problem.

This is why your wife should consult with counsel. Speaking only to NY law, a joint tenant, even amongst joint tenants with a right of survivorship in real property, may maintain an action for partition. Should she die, if this a joint tenancy with right of survivorship, your wife's interest automatically goes to the remaining joint tenants and the right to partition is extinguished.

If this is the degenerates legal strategy (con you into a free gift), time to blow it up....

If this is the degenerates legal strategy (con you into a free gift), time to blow it up....

I don't understand the comment "degenerates legal strategy" unless you're talking about the BIL and SIL. If so, I wonder whether the wife was ever represented by counsel on the transaction, or did the SIL and BIL choose counsel who engineered this to their liking. A partition action, if available, is the only way to blow it up, absent agreement of all parties, which doesn't look likely. The alternative is to suffer along with the situation.

I don't understand the comment "degenerates legal strategy" unless you're talking about the BIL and SIL. If so, I wonder whether the wife was ever represented by counsel on the transaction, or did the SIL and BIL choose counsel who engineered this to their liking.

The SIL and BIL were looking for NZoner to foot 1/2 of their lake property, he balked (wisely). His wife felt pressure to contribute. My guess is SIL and BIL aren't smart enough and too cheap to pay counsel for anything. They did know that NZ had no rights so they have done a tiny bit of research, the rest is just bullying NZs wife into not doing anything. They are probably talking to her behind his back. This might be one to put in the loss column and move on.

I don't understand the comment "degenerates legal strategy" unless you're talking about the BIL and SIL. If so, I wonder whether the wife was ever represented by counsel on the transaction, or did the SIL and BIL choose counsel who engineered this to their liking. A partition action, if available, is the only way to blow it up, absent agreement of all parties, which doesn't look likely. The alternative is to suffer along with the situation.

I was. If their intention was to snooker their sister out of 20k, that is a pure degenerate. Which is why i referred to them as such.

NZ needs to confirm the deed and talk to a RE Atty.

If its the case that he has to suffer through it, wife can most certainly assert her rights to equal use of the property. I'd recommend donating weekend stays to the homeless (may be tax deductable!)

• Like 1

Make sure her name is on the insurance policy for the home. Seriously. Then if there is ever a major loss, they won't be able to cash the check without her signature. Put them over the barrel instead of you. (Jewish lightning)