Sign in to follow this  
Odessit80

What is your draft strategy

So I am thinking of stacking up on one position and normally it would be on RBs. But this year seems to be very unique, either some RBs are sharing and some a injury prone. I would love to go RB RB RB to start off the draft (I am going 6th) and then go WR WR WR QB WR TE and so on. I would love me three solid RBs, one of them being in the flex. But I have a feeling this year I should go WR WR and pick 2 sure WRs like CJ, Thomas, Marshall or Julio. Then pick about 3-4 RBs in a row. This year seems to offer plenty of mid round RBs that could probably live up to first round stats. What do you guys think? How are you drafting this year?

I am in a 12 man flex PPR league.

Does that strategy really work for you? I usually go with some form of VBD which places a value on each player. Cornering yourself into drafting a specific position in each round usually doesn't work. And RBBC has been progressing for the past few years so it's not like this year is extremely unique. I may draft a TE in the early second.

so just go based off best available is a better way? I am fairly new to fantasy, my third year. Havent experienced with much yet.

I'm finding that the later rounds have more value at RB than at WR. You would think it's the other way around, but WR's have become just as top heavy as RBs with the running back by committee thing, since the 'second" running back on a team is essentially just as valuable percentage wise as the second receiver, once you get past the first few rounds where you have all the workhorse guys. People turn up their nose at guys like Woodhead, Pierre Thomas, and C.J. Anderson, but those guys have more value than most 2nd receivers, and even more value that a few 1st receivers, so if you see in those early rounds that people are scarfing up backs, and you're left with some lousy backs to choose from early, pass on them and get the receivers, because the people who grab those lesser backs early just so they have two starters, will be left picking through some pretty cheap receivers.

Definitely BPA through the first 6 or 7 rounds, being careful to grab a decent TE. And then start worrying if one of your positions is light. You can fill it with a lot of old vets on the decline and young unproven players.

That's my strategy.

• Like 1

Yeah VBD is deciding which player has the highest point differential between himself and the other players at his position.

If a receiver is 3 ppg higher than the average of the remaining top receivers, a rb is 4 ppg higher, and a TE is 5 points higher, VBD says you draft a TE. I doesn't have to be an exact science like some people do with the VBD draft strategy, but having an idea of which players are more valuable compared to their respective position is very important.

It's the reason you see Jimmy Graham being drafted in the first round of non ppr leagues. His statistical advantage is huge.

My biggest problem my first few years playing the game was identifying talent in the later rounds. After coming to this community I started to get clued in to which players were better gambles than others. Just try to read as much info in the threads as possible and figure out which players you believe could be solid sleepers.

There is no one draft 'strategy'. Picking 6th in a 12 teamer would still net you one of the true workhorse RBs and then your choice of WR1 in the 2nd. From there its all about who falls to you and when you feel comfortable taking them. This year it seems to me that most QBs and TEs are pretty close if you don't get one of the top few options, so I've been waiting on those 2 positions and stacking up on RB/WR early.

Step 1- Tier your players by position. This lets you know where you think the drop offs are so you can look to get better players in higher tiers at other positions.

Step 2- If drafting top half of rnd 1 you MUST take the best RB left on your tier list. Just do it. If drafting second half of rnd 1 you can go WR but Id only do that if the RB talent has been picked clean. You reeeeeeally want to come out of rnds 1 and 2 with at least 1 RB. You will hate your team if you dont do this. It will look like crap (even if it ends up as the right move (theres no way to predict that yet.).

Step 3- Once you have at least 1 RB you feel comfortable with, the rest is just value based drafting using your tier lists. Dont deviate from your list! If you are happy with your list, use it. Take the highest tiered wr/rb left on the board for most picks. For QB and TE you will need timing since u are only getting a limited amount, so plan for those and take starters when needed or wanted. but the rest of the time it will be nothing but wr/rb.

Step 4- Take a defense and a K with your last 2 picks. They dont matter. Defenses routinely shuffle around yearly so last years best could be among the worst, its just how the nfl works. K is meaningless, just take one on a decent offense or take none at all and just grab a free agent off the wire before week 1 and draft a lotto ticket rb/wr instead. Who knows, maybe theres an injury in practice and your lotto ticket rb you took instead of a kicker is now in a prime position!

Bonus tip: FF is 80% luck so none of this really matters. As long as you have a basic concept of how to draft and field a team of starters that at least see the field, you can win as easily as anyone. These 4 steps will at least give you a great team on draft day. I routinely come away with the best team on paper on draft day in my big money 12tm league. sure I dont win cuz zny happens or ill make bad starts/trades or whatever, but I am unmatched when it comes to paper championships.

• Like 1

Tanatastic's summary is spot on for those still developing their strategy and who haven't been doing this for too long. I find different people also seem to have differen affinities for how they improve their team. I might go heavy at RB if warranted by draft position and available talent, but that will be because I feel I can find a suitable WR later in the draft or even on the wire. Other times I won't. VBD and positional scarcity go hand-in-hand in my humble opinion. By round 5-6, I like to have my starting wr, rb, te/flex accounted for and I think you definitely want your 2 starting rbs taken in the first 4 rounds. Picking a QB early depends on scoring, availability and how you like to structure your team. I know people who like to build around a Top 3 or Top 5 QB and those who feel they can wait on QB.

One way or the other, without some balance to your first half dozen picks, you spend your later rounds drafting for need with that sick feeling that you've screwed up your draft.

Going QB first two rounds...

I've done this. I've also taken 3 QBs in first 5 rounds. Managed to have best team in 14 team league both seasons.

p.s. Another critical strategy is to never get into a league that costs more than you can afford to lose without really pissing the wife off.

• Like 2

Step 1- Tier your players by position. This lets you know where you think the drop offs are so you can look to get better players in higher tiers at other positions.

Step 2- If drafting top half of rnd 1 you MUST take the best RB left on your tier list. Just do it. If drafting second half of rnd 1 you can go WR but Id only do that if the RB talent has been picked clean. You reeeeeeally want to come out of rnds 1 and 2 with at least 1 RB. You will hate your team if you dont do this. It will look like crap (even if it ends up as the right move (theres no way to predict that yet.).

Step 3- Once you have at least 1 RB you feel comfortable with, the rest is just value based drafting using your tier lists. Dont deviate from your list! If you are happy with your list, use it. Take the highest tiered wr/rb left on the board for most picks. For QB and TE you will need timing since u are only getting a limited amount, so plan for those and take starters when needed or wanted. but the rest of the time it will be nothing but wr/rb.

Step 4- Take a defense and a K with your last 2 picks. They dont matter. Defenses routinely shuffle around yearly so last years best could be among the worst, its just how the nfl works. K is meaningless, just take one on a decent offense or take none at all and just grab a free agent off the wire before week 1 and draft a lotto ticket rb/wr instead. Who knows, maybe theres an injury in practice and your lotto ticket rb you took instead of a kicker is now in a prime position!

Bonus tip: FF is 80% luck so none of this really matters. As long as you have a basic concept of how to draft and field a team of starters that at least see the field, you can win as easily as anyone. These 4 steps will at least give you a great team on draft day. I routinely come away with the best team on paper on draft day in my big money 12tm league. sure I dont win cuz zny ###### happens or ill make bad starts/trades or whatever, but I am unmatched when it comes to paper championships.

Thanks for such a thorough write up. At 6th spot in mock drafts if Forte is still on the board the I pick him up. Otherwise I take CJ. Please tell me if I am wrong but I have a feeling that likes of Murray, Foster, Bell are equalent of Ellington, Gerhart, Jennings. Only first round RBs I feel are worth top 2 picks. Am I wrong?

Yeah VBD is deciding which player has the highest point differential between himself and the other players at his position.

If a receiver is 3 ppg higher than the average of the remaining top receivers, a rb is 4 ppg higher, and a TE is 5 points higher, VBD says you draft a TE. I doesn't have to be an exact science like some people do with the VBD draft strategy, but having an idea of which players are more valuable compared to their respective position is very important.

It's the reason you see Jimmy Graham being drafted in the first round of non ppr leagues. His statistical advantage is huge.

My biggest problem my first few years playing the game was identifying talent in the later rounds. After coming to this community I started to get clued in to which players were better gambles than others. Just try to read as much info in the threads as possible and figure out which players you believe could be solid sleepers.

The thing is I believe that to stand out from others I need to think outside of the box. That means to maybe pick players earlier then they should be picked. But only if I believe that player will outperform the value. So I dont like to rate players based on projected points.

Why would anyone answer this? isnt this like asking if you can see my girlfriend naked?

I am in a private league, and trust me chance of you landing with some of these guys in the same league is very slim.

Thanks for such a thorough write up. At 6th spot in mock drafts if Forte is still on the board the I pick him up. Otherwise I take CJ. Please tell me if I am wrong but I have a feeling that likes of Murray, Foster, Bell are equalent of Ellington, Gerhart, Jennings. Only first round RBs I feel are worth top 2 picks. Am I wrong?

its very true, this year there is a huge drop off in rb after the top 4-6. This is the case evry year to some degree but its especially bad this year when, as you said, guys in rnd 2 look an awful lot like guys in rnd 4-5. Getting Calvin is its own strategy really, since you will likely dislike your team come rnd 5 without that 1st rnd rb. Our minds play tricks on us. Think about it, Calvin and a rnd 2 iffy rb, or a stud rb and a stud wr? Wich 2 makes you feel better? Thats the problem, the rbs in rnd 2 are ehhhh, but the wrs are still guys that you look at and smile. Thats what makes taking calvin such a ballsy move. At that point its almost worth it to go all in and take a qb in rnd 2 then the best wr available in rnd 3 and just take 4 straight rbs after that lol! You will hate your rbs but damn your wrs and qb will look hot! Eff it, throw in a TE in rnd 4 and ur gonna be stoked about your team of studs and bum rbs.

wr

qb- if you can get a top 3, if not then replace with wr.

wr- see above.

te

rb

rb

rb

rb

Its the ballsiest draft strategy in the game but its the only one that will make you like your team if you dont take an RB in rnd 1.

Depends on where I'm drafting and who's been drafted before my turn is up. I have usually been going RB - WR then either a RB who is BPA or WR who is BPA but I like to have my two starting rbs and wrs by the end of the 4th no later than the 5th. Been getting a TE in round 7-9 and a QB in round 10 or later. Load up on rbs and wrs first 6-7 picks

The thing is I believe that to stand out from others I need to think outside of the box. That means to maybe pick players earlier then they should be picked. But only if I believe that player will outperform the value. So I dont like to rate players based on projected points.

Well projected points and consistency are the end game here. You want a roster that has the largest ppg advantage over your opponents. It is hard to nail down stats sometimes so I admit that I don't get too caught up in it myself. I do get an idea of how a player will perform and go off of that. Studs are studs so if you are drafting a proven one you should be fine in that area, it's finding the gems that makes champions. Granted last year was the worst year I have had in a long time, but I had players like Graham, Moreno, R. Bush, Garcon in most of my leagues. Guys who out performed their adp.

I do not believe R. Jennings or Ellington are going to score enough points to be a player to count on. Ellington is in just too tough of a division and who knows what the carry split will be in NY. The rookie Andre Williams could be the goal line back, and probably should be. Wilson is a highly touted prospect that will get another shot to shine if he is healthy enough and doesn't fumble.

I am in 4 leagues with owners from this site but all of those drafts are done. I don't think anyone from any of my leagues with local friends visit this site, especially this forum regularly. I use the same team name for all leagues and my handle on here, so if one of them saw me they would probably say something.

Here's my super secret key to winning at fantasy football. I've won three straight championships in $100 12-team auctions and 7 in the last 15 years. There are a several things I could offer, but none more important than this.

Mind the yo-yo, value baseline talent over all, and pay no attention to last year. The way I draft, if a player went out of his mind last year, I don't even consider him. I want the guy who's supremely talented but didn't necessarily play that well last year.

Based on this, some players that I think are undervalued are Hakeem Nicks, CJ Spiller, Arian Foster, Percy Harvin, RGIII, Tom Brady, Greg Jennings....you get the picture. Your draft should be a 50/50 mix of these players and non-rookie breakout candidates (Patterson, Reed). If you find yourself drafting guys like Pierre Thomas, you're not doing it right. :-)

Here's some strategies and tips that I like to use.

1. Pay attention to the internet any news about players or a certain team can give you an advantage on draft day.

2. Rank and tier the players and get your breakout candidates , sleepers and potential busts to draft accordingly. It's pays off to be more prepared then your friends or other owners in your league.

3. Research you leagues scoring system and roster requirements before draft day. And if need be update your ranking to suit your league.

4. Draft players you want on your team even if you have to reach alittle. For example in round 3 the wr's look great if you want a certain wr like Cordarrelle Patterson and don't think he'll make it back to you then grab him.

5. During the draft pay attention to the teams that draft around you. For example if you pick 10th in a 12 man league and it's your pick and you still need your starting qb or te look and see what team 11 & 12 already has on their roster if they already have a qb and or te you can probably let that qb or TE go another round and grab an extra rb or wr then grab your qb or te and my friend you just got extra value by waiting a few picks and grabbed that extra skill player, Win win situation !

6. When drafting qb's look at how many man league it is and rank the qb's if there's 10 qb's you would be ok starting and it's a 12 man league you might want to draft a qb a round or two earlier then you normally would. I like to gamble and wait on my qb but nothing worse then it back firing and your stuck with a game manager instead of a qb1.

7. Ignore bye weeks for rb's & wr's ! Only worry about them for qb's , K's , D's & if you draft two te's.

8. Be flexible with your draft strategy players fall or get scooped up earlier then you thought be able to change on the fly. Don't panic !

9. Drafting a rb in the 1st round if you get a early pick is usually a smart thing to do. When round 3-6 comes around you don't want to be scrambling to draft any old rb just to fill a position. You don't want to be forced into drafting a certain position during the draft you want to have options when it's your pick. The wr's look great in those 3-6 rounds try and already have at least 1 rb when round 3 starts. Because it's to hard to pass on those round 3 and 4 wr's. You don't want your #1 rb to be Chris Johnson or Ben Tate.

10. Yes this game is mostly luck ! It seems like the players that get hot at the right time is the playoff team to beat ! Try and get acouple lottery ticket guys that might help you near the end of the season like rookie Terrance West.

11. Handcuffs, I usually draft my stud rb's backups if my bench is big enough to do so. It's great to have insurance if god forbid your stud gets hurt. And I see nothing wrong with grabbing other owners handcuffs if they are sleeping on the draft. Yes it could be a wasted roster spot and actually I hope it is ! But at the end of the regular season near the trade/transaction deadline you might need a guy to drop and a handcuff might be the guy to risk that on.

12. I would wait on drafting a kicker for sure and let your leagues defensive scoring system dictate when you draft your defense.

13. Pay Attention To The Waiver Wire or Free Agents !! This is one thing I always do. Even if you don't necessarily need that rb or wr if you got a wasted roster spot try and grab them plus it keeps another team from getting stronger if you get them instead. And it might give you that missing piece to a potential trade you've been working on to strengthen a area of weakness.

Hey fellas good luck this year !

• Like 1

I go WR WR WR in my ppr and have had good results.

Bonus tip: FF is 80% luck so none of this really matters. As long as you have a basic concept of how to draft and field a team of starters that at least see the field, you can win as easily as anyone. These 4 steps will at least give you a great team on draft day. I routinely come away with the best team on paper on draft day in my big money 12tm league. sure I dont win cuz zny ###### happens or ill make bad starts/trades or whatever, but I am unmatched when it comes to paper championships.

"Step 2- If drafting top half of rnd 1 you MUST take the best RB left on your tier list. Just do it. If drafting second half of rnd 1 you can go WR but Id only do that if the RB talent has been picked clean. You reeeeeeally want to come out of rnds 1 and 2 with at least 1 RB. You will hate your team if you dont do this. It will look like crap (even if it ends up as the right move (theres no way to predict that yet.)."

This is dead on correct.

I only play ppr so it is more skewed to wrs that soak up targets. That being said I do not believe that to be correct. Every single year rbs drop like flies. some are not effective anymore. using the ww you should be able to pick up backs like stacey last year. Last year i went Megatron,A.J.Green and Antonio Brown then followed it up with Reggie bush. I was in contention all year and only got beat because of huge games from the players for the guy I was playing in the playoffs. I would rather have the best wr off the board than be forced to draft a questionable rb.

Always know what the three teams before and after you need at all times. If you're drafting at 9 in a 12 person league and all three after you have stud QBs...you can take a different position and on the turn get the guy you were going to take before.

First start off your pre draft ritual with a few shots of fireball wiskey. This will get you in the mood to believe no matter who you draft, your team with be studly.

Dont pay attention to what they other owners are doing, they will just distract you from your goal of total domination. By the end of the first round you should have at least 6 shots of fireball down the hatch. Notice how everyone envies the way you handle your liquor and your team with unmatched confidence.

By the middle of the draft if you have been consuming the proper amount of wiskey, the single draft board should have morphed into at least two at this point. Being able to see multiple draft boards at once should allow you an almost unfair advantage. Make sure you have at least 3 kickers at this point.

The final 2 rounds should be devoted to drafting past football greats. Yeah they may not actually play any more, but points arent what youre after here. You want to shock and awe other owners by showing your knowledge of past football greatness. You should be barely conscious at this point so please plan a ride home before the draft starts.

Your welcome in advance. Enjoy the road to championship city.

• Like 1

Fireball, eh? I'm a rum guy. But my big money draft is gonna be right at lunch when I'm at work, so unfortunately, I can drink. Too bad.

How about trash talk? Do any of you try to fluster your opponents with trash talk? Maybe if you see a player you like is still left on the board in later rounds, try to get them to draft someone other than him by pointing out weaknesses in other positions? I've never been much of a talker during the draft, but I've known some good ones.

my strategy is to use common sense and draft for value.

be sure to understand the scoring system, roster requirements and the needs of others around you and use VBD. and to ignore as much of the preseason hype as possible, and to remember that last year isnt this year.

Trash talking never seems to do any good. Its just for fun really. Really i need to focus on what i am doing. Especially since i know i am the most prepared person in my big money league, and yet i cant make the playoffs. 2 appearences in 10 years. Two guys in my league make it every year and they dont start prepping until a few weeks before hand. Its like players just fall into their lap at great value right before i pick. Probably all in my head but its still frustrating. The one dude never misses on his value rbs in later rounds. He always has 1 or 2 studs on his bench.

Trash talking never seems to do any good. Its just for fun really. Really i need to focus on what i am doing. Especially since i know i am the most prepared person in my big money league, and yet i cant make the playoffs. 2 appearences in 10 years. Two guys in my league make it every year and they dont start prepping until a few weeks before hand. Its like players just fall into their lap at great value right before i pick. Probably all in my head but its still frustrating. The one dude never misses on his value rbs in later rounds. He always has 1 or 2 studs on his bench.

File this under FF becoming harder to have an advantage. You might feel you are most prepared because you keep up with all the offseason football info around the league but someone can browse a website or two a week before the draft and be just as prepared as you. Possibly better off than you because you'll overthink

File this under FF becoming harder to have an advantage. You might feel you are most prepared because you keep up with all the offseason football info around the league but someone can browse a website or two a week before the draft and be just as prepared as you. Possibly better off than you because you'll overthink

Over thinking and under thinking simultaenously is my specialty. Making it to the playoffs i agree, they dont need to prep a lot. I still do wonder how the one guy gets his mid-late round sleeper rbs right every year.

I've done this. I've also taken 3 QBs in first 5 rounds. Managed to have best team in 14 team league both seasons.

Was it a two QB league? Or were you just stacking up on QBs so others would not get him? If someone did that in my league he would get chewed up by people. One guy last year in a auction draft did this, he took three of the top four QBs. He didnt have a good enough season though as he missed playoffs.

Well projected points and consistency are the end game here. You want a roster that has the largest ppg advantage over your opponents. It is hard to nail down stats sometimes so I admit that I don't get too caught up in it myself. I do get an idea of how a player will perform and go off of that. Studs are studs so if you are drafting a proven one you should be fine in that area, it's finding the gems that makes champions. Granted last year was the worst year I have had in a long time, but I had players like Graham, Moreno, R. Bush, Garcon in most of my leagues. Guys who out performed their adp.

I do not believe R. Jennings or Ellington are going to score enough points to be a player to count on. Ellington is in just too tough of a division and who knows what the carry split will be in NY. The rookie Andre Williams could be the goal line back, and probably should be. Wilson is a highly touted prospect that will get another shot to shine if he is healthy enough and doesn't fumble.

I am in 4 leagues with owners from this site but all of those drafts are done. I don't think anyone from any of my leagues with local friends visit this site, especially this forum regularly. I use the same team name for all leagues and my handle on here, so if one of them saw me they would probably say something.

Thats a poor reason to not draft Ellington. Ellington has this schedule

San Diego

@New York

San Francisco(defense will not be as good and Ellington had a good game in his limited touches)

@Denver

Washington

@Oakland

Philadelphia

@Dallas

St.Louis

Detroit

@Seattle

@Atlanta

Kansas City

@St.Louis

Seattle

@San Francisco

Potential big games:

San Diego

@Giants(lost run stuffers)

SF(weaker defense)

Washington

Philadelphia(vulnerable on the road out west)

@Dallas

@Atlanta

Kansas City(see Philadelphia, the screen is a weakness for them as CJ2k and Spiller showed last year)

Could do well against

@Oakland

St.Louis(teams that commit to running can beat them)

Thats honestly enough for him to look good enough to sell high before he faces Seattle week 12 or St.Louis week 15. But Ellington at Atlanta at week 13 penultimate week when playoffs are on the line? Too good. The knock on Ellington has not been his schedule it has been his size.

• Like 1

Ok well the knock on him from me is his sched.

St louis and seattle in the playoffs is a possible death sentence. Phillys d will be improved imo so im not sure i would count them out. Denver also has a solid defense.

There are 7 games where he could easily be a do not start and possibly 1 or 2 more that could enter into that discussion.

He is a starter so he deserves to be rostered. Its his adp that is a turn off at 3.06. He is either going to be a teams third rb (not too bad, waste of a pick imo) a teams 2nd rb (hope your third is a doozy) or a teams 1st rb (oh fvck i hope the rest of your team is studly).

I totally agree with Frozen. Ellington in the 3rd where he currently is going is a high price to pay. I do think his schedule is tough. One plus about Ellington is the other rb's going in the 3rd or 4th rounds they make him look pretty good IMO. I might try and get him in one of my money leagues just in case I'm wrong and he breaks out this year.

Over thinking and under thinking simultaenously is my specialty. Making it to the playoffs i agree, they dont need to prep a lot. I still do wonder how the one guy gets his mid-late round sleeper rbs right every year.

i didnt mean you specifically but I think any of us who love football and FF and spend time all year keeping up on it tend to over think things. because we feel like we should be more prepared than the casual guy but in reality they have just as much info as we do.

i didnt mean you specifically but I think any of us who love football and FF and spend time all year keeping up on it tend to over think things. because we feel like we should be more prepared than the casual guy but in reality they have just as much info as we do.

We def overthink and overanalyze ourselves right out of good decisions. We think of fantasy football too much as a science and not enough for what it really is, a crapshoot. When games get going its a matter of inches that separates things. A top 7 RB could have been a 12th ranked rb if not for one play on busted defense or a missed shoestring tackle that led to a long td or a penalty that was called back or whatever it is. We scrutinize the tiniest details to justify the exact slotting of guys as best as we can when its really all just up in the air. Yes we do know its just educated guessing at best but we still end up thinkign we know things we dont.

"I think his numbers will stay the same." LOL what a dumb thing to say that I hear alot from people, including myself. No ones numbers will be the same at all with so many variables. 5Tds can easily be 10 tds with a penalty here or a missed tackle there. All of a sudden we judge a player so much differently.