Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

++ UPDATE - Jamaal Charles Gets Contract Extension

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/22/report-jamaal-charles-will-hold-out-from-chiefs-camp/

In a surprise move, one of the NFL’s best players has reportedly decided not to report to training camp.

Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles will not show up when the Chiefs report to camp on Thursday. Charles is holding out for more money, KCTV-5 reports.

Charles still has two more years left on his contract and is due $3.9 million this year. He’s correct if he thinks he’s a lot better than a lot of players who are making more money than him, but the Chiefs may feel that they have no reason to give more money to a player who is under contract through 2015.

Let's just pray he keeps holding out long enough for others to start moving him down their cheat sheet

Hmm. Maybe take him third overall? I honestly do not trust AP over mccoy, forte, and even charles threatening hold out

• Like 1

Hmm. Maybe take him third overall? I honestly do not trust AP over mccoy, forte, and even charles threatening hold out

Yeah if I was drafting today that's about as far as I would let him fall. I like McCoy and Forte enough to take them over him.

Not for nothing too the last image we have of him playing an NFL game was getting concussed in the playoffs.

I think this all blows over and the Chiefs get something done but I do wonder if that makes Charles think twice about going back out there well underpaid.

Man, there would be a lot of ticked off people with a suddenly iffy #1 overall pick on their roster. If he does hold out, it might throw off the timing for the first couple games, and getting average production from him in those early games, him being your #1 pick, could be enough to give you a couple losses right out of the gate before he gets back to full speed.

The Chiefs are scheduled to report to camp between noon and 1 Central today although I don't think a player is an official "no-show" to camp until they miss a practice. First practice is scheduled for tomorrow. For fantasy purposes, I wouldn't move Charles down one bit. Contract situations rarely end up up in a holdout that lasts into the season and even if Charles were to miss a portion of camp, he's a veteran and the time missed won't affect him as much as it would a younger player.

If the holdout lasts a decent length of time, you can basically pencil in Charles for a bust season. But id think they will get something done before that. However...the rub here is that teams dont want to appear soft, since that would just tell any player that they can hold out whenever they want and get more money.

Also once he gets paid who knows if he will fight for those yards anymore. We got a CJ2k situation here maybe. DND. He will be too focused on gold teeth and bentleys to care about football anymore.

^ Agree. Depending on the length though it might give Davis a lot more time with the #1s.

Charles touched the ball a ton and the more comfortable Davis gets and they get with him the more snaps he could earn.

Charles is an out of this world talent who probably wouldn't miss a beat but his usage rate was crazy last year.

Depends on the back. When Emmitt Smith held out, his first two games back totaled 21 carries for 62 yards. When John Riggins held out, his first 4 games back totaled 36 carries for 122. When Bo Jackson held out, his first 3 games were 28 for 156. And then there's Eric Dickerson who averaged 104 yards per game in his first two game after each of his two holdouts (Dickerson was SUCH a stud) . I'm not sure how dependent Charles is on the timing with his line. I'm guessing he might not have big numbers for his first couple games back, but I could be wrong.

A situation to monitor. Kniles Davis has talent, also smallish hands and some past history as a fumbler. Not concerned about this until it gets into pre-season. That said, KC has a tougher schedule this year. Those with the number 2 pick may find their footing not as certain as once thought.

Sounds like a two-year contract extension that likely will give him additional upfront $ but will allow the Chiefs to walk on the back-end of the deal.

LoL . Now can you all breath again oh my soul

Def good work getting him signed, but now he can relax. Im bumping him down but only by a spot or two. Ill take Mcoy and AP over him but no one else most likely.

From Rotoworld:

Chiefs signed RB Jamaal Charles to a two-year, $18.1 million contract extension through 2017.