Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Cable wiring question

I am in the process of finishing our basement. Framing is done, most of the electrical is done, duct work, plumbing and insulation may get done this week and then will be time for a sheet rock party :banana:

Got step-dad and uncle helping me who are retired union laborers, but doing absolutely everything ourselves. For a guy that sits behind a desk most of the week, God bless you boys in the trades, I don't envy you :thumbsup:

Here's my question: I have 2 TV's to run cabling for and I'm curious if RG6 is good enough for future proofing or if I should think about something else like cat5. Everything will be sheet rocked so going back and fishing wires through walls will be nearly impossible.

I do have my eye on some 4k TV's, as well as a home theater with 5 - channel Cerwin Vega speakers and a powerful Sony receiver. Can't wait to watch some chiefs games and rock some music on that sh-t :headbanger:

Going all out with insulation as well :thumbsup:

RG6 make sure its quad shield. Home runs them also.

Yes. If you are really paranoid about future upgrading you could run a conduit and run the RG6 in that, leave a pullstring or just use the cable as one.

Presuming you are wiring to a media center of some sort, from there to behind the tv, for 4K TV you will want to use HDMI 2.0 cables as opposed to the 1.4 that were the first generation of HDMI cables.

I'd also recommend prewiring for sound. 7.1 Dolby atmos setup. They make preconstruction brackets for Polk ceiling surround speakers I've used that make finishing easy

Good luck with the man cave :cheers:

If you're finishing your basement you should definitely build in some sort of small, centralized equipment room with a rack, and run cabling to that space. I would run both RG-6, if that's still the highest level of home theatre coax available, and Cat-6. Future proof your environment as much as possible.

Definitely run cat6. Future proofing would mean not relying on coax for tv in the future. And, hard wiring data means less strain on your wifi.

Thnx for the advice. I went ahead and got cat 6 and a crimper to run to the premiere TV outlet and where the Internet will run into the house and will double down with coax in those locations. The rest of the TV outlets will just be on coax but most of the others were run when the house was built and the only other is an ancillary bedroom down in the basement. Cost a few bucks but hopefully in ten years I'll be glad I did it

:thumbsup:

Thnx for the advice. I went ahead and got cat 6 and a crimper to run to the premiere TV outlet and where the Internet will run into the house and will double down with coax in those locations. The rest of the TV outlets will just be on coax but most of the others were run when the house was built and the only other is an ancillary bedroom down in the basement. Cost a few bucks but hopefully in ten years I'll be glad I did it

:thumbsup:

In 10 years we'll all be dead from a NoKo nuke. Why bother? :dunno:

In 10 years we'll all be dead from a NoKo nuke. Why bother? :dunno:

Can't take it with you.

Will you be having a cable box? Dvd player ? You should be running HDMI cables from these locations to the the locations of your tv's. The coax will be going to the cable box

Will you be having a cable box? Dvd player ? You should be running HDMI cables from these locations to the the locations of your tv's. The coax will be going to the cable box

Once again, I give you Drobs last day on the job

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/bb/e0/ce/bbe0cedf6d15a70ff65bc7ee1bbda146.jpg

Don't listen to him

Once again, I give you Drobs last day on the job

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/bb/e0/ce/bbe0cedf6d15a70ff65bc7ee1bbda146.jpg

Don't listen to him

pah lease, also don't listen these bozos about buying high end cables. Everything is digital these days, not analog. It's focking 1 and zeros, they don't care if they are driving in a 100 dollar monster cable or a 20 dollar home depot cable. It's the focking same

pah lease, also don't listen these bozos about buying high end cables. Everything is digital these days, not analog. It's focking 1 and zeros, they don't care if they are driving in a 100 dollar monster cable or a 20 dollar home depot cable. It's the focking same

2.0 vs 1.4 isn't monster cables vs monoprice, it's the bandwidth they can handle. 4K streams don't like 1.4