Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Trade Alert - Jets move up to No.3 in NFL Draft

Per Adam Schefter...

Jets acquired No. 3 overall pick from Colts for No. 6 overall pick, 37th overall pick, 49th overall pick and our 2019 2nd round pick.

Sounds like somebody wants to make sure they get their QB of choice.

Great trade for the Colts, they'll hope Luck comes back, get a stud at 6, and fill holes with the extra 2nds.

But, man, I don't know the wisdom of (officially) trading up before draft day. If there's an injury or two, or something comes out late that affects someone's draft value (ala Laremy Tunsil a few years ago), the Jets may end up spending a buttload for someone they could have gotten at 6.

Per Adam Schefter...

Jets acquired No. 3 overall pick from Colts for No. 6 overall pick, 37th overall pick, 49th overall pick and our 2019 2nd round pick.

Sounds like somebody wants to make sure they get their QB of choice.

But how can they be sure? Two teams picking ahead of them. Could be someone leapfrogs them in a trade too.

Kinda seems like a panic move to me after missing out on Cousins

Where are the Bills gonna go now? Giants pick? Broncos?

A lot is going to depend on draft day. Right now, there's 4 QBs you can make a case for early in the draft (Allen, Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen).

Cleveland should take 1, Jets will take 1. Giants and Broncos MIGHT take one. After that, the Bills are the next team with a QB need (with an outside shot of Miami taking one). Then the Cardinals, and maybe the Saints (though I can't see them trading up, as they are in win now mode with Brees).

If the Giants and Broncos both pass, I think they either stay put, or trade with the Raiders or 9ers to leapfrog the Dolphins and block the Cardinals.

49ers maybe? Colts could also trade down again i suppose.

After what Indi just gave up for #3, the Giants should be on a hotline to the Bills right now. Bills have the picks. That is, if the Giants really think Manning is the guy for the next 3 years. Personally, I think manning was done years ago.

But how can they be sure? Two teams picking ahead of them. Could be someone leapfrogs them in a trade too.

Exactly my thoughts when I heard this.

Whatever the case, I think Denver was possibly wanting the same guy the Jets want. I'm thinking that's Rosen. Darnold, Barkley, Rosen.......

Great trade for the Colts. They dont need a QB and theyre pretty much assured now of getting one of Chubb, Barkley or Nelson. Plus two 2nd rounds in this draft and another next year.

For the Jets, this is a huge price to pay when youre not even targeting a specific QB, but I can see why they did it.

we speculate a lot about various things, but at the end of the day a lot of the football community likely already knows which scouts like which players. these guys talk to each other all the time throughout the year.

I would bet that 50% of the teams out there already know who's going number one and some of the teams out there likely have a very good idea of who is going #2.

If they paid this price, they probably expect to get a certain player at #3 and if one of the other players they expect to go #1 or #2 are available, they are probably ok with that player as well.

I like the move.

they have needed a QB there for a long time.

Hopefully they take steps to insure the right people are in place to allow the kid to develop the way he should.

I don't think this is a panic move at all. I think it's perfectly reasonable. You NEED a QB. They have a chance to get one at #6... but they have a great chance at getting THEIR GUY at #3. It's Plan B for not getting Cousins, not a panic decision.

• Like 1

3 is as high as the Jets could get. The Giants weren't dealing with them. It's just not going to happen. And the Browns don't seem inclined to deal the top pick. No panic move on the Jets, just a realistic one. Wanted to get there before anyone else.

If I'm the Giants, I would see if the Broncos want to do a similar trade to leapfrog the Jets. The Broncos don't have two 2nd round picks this year so I would ask for their 1st and 2nd this year + their 2nd round picks for the next two years. I don't see Denver giving up two first rounders to move up three spots.

The Broncos would be assured of no worse than their second choice at QB. The Giants would be still be able to get one of the top 4 QBs (unless the Browns trade one of their picks to a QB needy team and the first four picks are all QBs - highly unlikely) or a consolation prize of Saquon Barkley plus they would get a stockpile of draft picks. The Broncos might not be willing to give up that much but if they feel that there is a world of difference between, for example, Darnold/Rosen and Allen/Mayfield, then they might be willing to pay the price.

If I'm the Giants, I would see if the Broncos want to do a similar trade to leapfrog the Jets. The Broncos don't have two 2nd round picks this year so I would ask for their 1st and 2nd this year + their 2nd round picks for the next two years. I don't see Denver giving up two first rounders to move up three spots.

The Broncos would be assured of no worse than their second choice at QB. The Giants would be still be able to get one of the top 4 QBs (unless the Browns trade one of their picks to a QB needy team and the first four picks are all QBs - highly unlikely) or a consolation prize of Saquon Barkley plus they would get a stockpile of draft picks. The Broncos might not be willing to give up that much but if they feel that there is a world of difference between, for example, Darnold/Rosen and Allen/Mayfield, then they might be willing to pay the price.

If I'm the Giants and I want Barkley or Chubb, yeah, I'd trade down... but not if I want a QB. If the Broncos want to jump the Jets, that guarantees that the Giants get, at best, the 4th rated QB. What's stopping the Browns from trading down to #12 and picking up #22 and more, from the Bills to jump the Giants? Now the Giants are getting what's left. If the Giants want a QB, they stand pat unless the Broncos offer their #1's and #2's for the next 3 years.

If I'm the Giants and I want Barkley or Chubb, yeah, I'd trade down... but not if I want a QB. If the Broncos want to jump the Jets, that guarantees that the Giants get, at best, the 4th rated QB. What's stopping the Browns from trading down to #12 and picking up #22 and more, from the Bills to jump the Giants? Now the Giants are getting what's left. If the Giants want a QB, they stand pat unless the Broncos offer their #1's and #2's for the next 3 years.

I agree it's possible that a team like the Bills could get into the top 4 and Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield could all, theoretically, be gone before the Giants pick at 5 but I think it's doubtful. And, as I said, Saquon Barkley isn't a bad consolation prize AND they would have the ability to trade down again with a team that is in love with Barkley. Yes, they would lose out on Eli's replacement this year but they would be armed with a boatload of picks over the next couple of years. Besides, for all we know, the difference between Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield might be the difference between Carson Wentz and Paxton Lynch so losing out on one of the "top" 4 QBs might be a blessing in disguise.

I am not sure I agree.

If you go on the assumption that the Browns & Jets are taking a QB with their top picks, you have to believe that the browns will grab either Barkley or Chubb at #4 if available.

so unless they trade with the Jets to move down a spot, there is actually no reason for them to trade down and give cleveland a chance to get the guy they want.

That being said.... if they are good with either player and Denver comes calling saying they want a QB, maybe they trade down to #5 and take whatever the draft leaves them (either Chubb or Barkley)

but I dont see them trading down any further than that because then they dont get either.

I don't think this is a panic move at all. I think it's perfectly reasonable. You NEED a QB. They have a chance to get one at #6... but they have a great chance at getting THEIR GUY at #3. It's Plan B for not getting Cousins, not a panic decision.

But thats what Im saying: you dont know if youre getting YOUR GUY. Could be youre getting sloppy thirds

But thats what Im saying: you dont know if youre getting YOUR GUY. Could be youre getting sloppy thirds

I tend to agree but just playing devils advocate here I assume the Jets have one QB going to the Browns and two other top prospects evenly matched. They prolly also couldnt get something done with the NYG and figured this was their best chance to land a franchise QB in this draft.

Agree though, dumb trade.

I tend to agree but just playing devils advocate here I assume the Jets have one QB going to the Browns and two other top prospects evenly matched. They prolly also couldnt get something done with the NYG and figured this was their best chance to land a franchise QB in this draft.

Agree though, dumb trade.

The hottest chick in the bar, maybe Ill fall for her like a dumbass and put a ring on it.

But paying for a ring and then just letting one of the three hottest chicks in the bar claim it? No way. Youre definitely getting the sh1ttiest of the three and thats just a regular hot chick with major daddy issues.

Or something :unsure:

I am not sure I agree.

If you go on the assumption that the Browns & Jets are taking a QB with their top picks, you have to believe that the browns will grab either Barkley or Chubb at #4 if available.

so unless they trade with the Jets to move down a spot, there is actually no reason for them to trade down and give cleveland a chance to get the guy they want.

That being said.... if they are good with either player and Denver comes calling saying they want a QB, maybe they trade down to #5 and take whatever the draft leaves them (either Chubb or Barkley)

but I dont see them trading down any further than that because then they dont get either.

I'm not sure we're discussing the same point. We're all under the impression that the Browns and Jets are taking QB's. We know that the Jets made a play to get to #2 and the Giants said "No". Because of that, it's my impression the Giants are taking a QB at #2. Now, if they want either Chubb or Barkely (meaning, they'll take either), then I'd understand why they'd not take a deal from the Jets, but would from the Broncos. Why? Because the Colts and Browns, at 3 and 4, could take Chubb and Barkley. That said, with the Colts now out of the picture, that means that they don't have to worry anymore about pick #3. So, if Denver wants pick #2, they're doing it to take a QB... which guarantees the top 3 picks being QB's and guaranteeing them either Barkley or Chubb. Of course, that's under the assumption that they're fine with either one.

We have no idea how they truly feel about these guys. Me, I'm taking Barkley at #2 and making a championship run for the next 2 years. They probably want a QB, which I don't see an issue with. If that's the case, they stand pat and get their guy.

You're assuming they're getting sloppy thirds. You don't know how they have the QB's ranked. You also don't know if they're fine with one of three guys. What we do know is that if they stay at #6, the following could happen...

1. Browns - Darnold

2. Giants - Rosen

3. CARDINALS - Mayfield

4. BILLS - Allen

5. Broncos - Rudolph/Jackson

Staying at 6 means you are getting the last guy on the board. Getting up to #3 puts you in the position of having a say in who you get and not getting what's left. It's the right decision.

You're assuming they're getting sloppy thirds. You don't know how they have the QB's ranked. You also don't know if they're fine with one of three guys. What we do know is that if they stay at #6, the following could happen...

1. Browns - Darnold

2. Giants - Rosen

3. CARDINALS - Mayfield

4. BILLS - Allen

5. Broncos - Rudolph/Jackson

Staying at 6 means you are getting the last guy on the board. Getting up to #3 puts you in the position of having a say in who you get and not getting what's left. It's the right decision.

Are you simply ranking the top 6 QBS available or do you think there's even a remote possibility that the Broncos pick Rudolph or Jackson with the 5th pick? Because they have a better chance of drafting me in that slot than either of those guys. Even if they're desperate for a QB, there's no way they pass on guys like Barkley or Chubb there or, a much more likely scenario, they trade down and still have their choice of Rudolph or Jackson even if they drop 10 spots or more.

Are you simply ranking the top 6 QBS available or do you think there's even a remote possibility that the Broncos pick Rudolph or Jackson with the 5th pick? Because they have a better chance of drafting me in that slot than either of those guys. Even if they're desperate for a QB, there's no way they pass on guys like Barkley or Chubb there or, a much more likely scenario, they trade down and still have their choice of Rudolph or Jackson even if they drop 10 spots or more.

It's just an example, don't be so literal. They might trade the pick to Miami. What if another team like the Steelers, figures that Bell won't come back, they can trade him for pick #5 and the Steelers draft a QB to replace Ben in a year or two? Also, keep in mind that the Broncos signed Keenum to only a 2-year deal. Taking a QB at 5 is not at all unrealistic. How do you know how Elway feels about Rudolph or Jackson? How do you know a team won't trade up for one of those two and maybe Allen, Rosen, or Mayfield fall to #5? You don't. Jumping up to #3 guarantees the Jets will get one of their top 3 choices instead of getting what's left.

It's just an example, don't be so literal. They might trade the pick to Miami. What if another team like the Steelers, figures that Bell won't come back, they can trade him for pick #5 and the Steelers draft a QB to replace Ben in a year or two? Also, keep in mind that the Broncos signed Keenum to only a 2-year deal. Taking a QB at 5 is not at all unrealistic. How do you know how Elway feels about Rudolph or Jackson? How do you know a team won't trade up for one of those two and maybe Allen, Rosen, or Mayfield fall to #5? You don't. Jumping up to #3 guarantees the Jets will get one of their top 3 choices instead of getting what's left.

You're right. Crazier things have happened. I just haven't seen a single mock draft that puts Rudolph or Jackson anywhere near the 5th pick.

You're right. Crazier things have happened. I just haven't seen a single mock draft that puts Rudolph or Jackson anywhere near the 5th pick.

If the Colts traded their pick to the Bills and the Browns to the Cardinals, then that's 4 QB's gone in the first four picks. Now, while you haven't seen either Rudolph or Jackson anywhere near the 5th pick, the Jets WILL have to take one of them at 6 if they want a QB. All the more reason for the Jets to trade up.

How did Arizona get the 3rd pick again? And how do the Jets pick 6 back? I guess I missed some scenario brought up.

How did Arizona get the 3rd pick again? And how do the Jets pick 6 back? I guess I missed some scenario brought up.

I'm assuming he's thinking a scenario where the Jets don't trade up, but the Bills and Cardinals do.

I'm assuming he's thinking a scenario where the Jets don't trade up, but the Bills and Cardinals do.

Ahh... Ok. It would be awesome if the Bears could get that guard from Notre Dame instead of probably Indi.

Correct. I was responding to why I didn't believe the Jets made (in IGotWorms's words), "a panic move", by trading up.

I think most teams that don't have a decent QB are desperate. At least the coaches and GMs. Get a true franchise QB, and they keep a job, for a while at least.

The Jets must have weighed the price they paid to move up against the 3rd QB on their list. Now they just hope at least their #2 falls to them if not their #1.

I think most teams that don't have a decent QB are desperate. At least the coaches and GMs. Get a true franchise QB, and they keep a job, for a while at least.

The Jets must have weighed the price they paid to move up against the 3rd QB on their list. Now they just hope at least their #2 falls to them if not their #1.

I don't really think I can disagree with that. From what I've heard/read, there is a sizeable gap between the top 4 QB's (Darnold, Rosen, Allen, & Mayfield), and the next 2 (Jackson & Rudolph). This trade leads me to be believe that the Jets see it that way too. They didn't want to risk 2 or 3 teams jumping up into the 3-5 range and taking the best prospects.

We really don't know how each team is grading these guys. For all we know, Cleveland, the Giants, and Jets all could end up with their #1 choice. We probably won't know for sure until one or more of the current GM's gets fired. LOL

All the jets did was beat the bills to the dumbest move they possibly could have done. Gave up the farm just like the bills are going to do for what? Get a rookie qb who will be devoid of talent at WR and TE aside from other huge holes in there roster. Jets and bills are both destined to fail for there future rookie qbs. Both teams have no resemblance of any type of receiving core and a middle of the road OLine. Good luck with that. Trade up and sell the farm for josh Allen whos a 2-3 year project if youre lucky and a Josh Rosen who treats football like a secondary thing thats hes just good at so he does. Its baker mayfield head and shoulders above the rest and I am calling my shot that Lamar Jackson is the second best qb who either team bills or jets could have had without trading anything

Didn't read 100% of post. But the only logical reason for the Jets moving up in the draft, and this early, was to control what Cleveland was going to do.

But, this said. The price they paid for this move is baffling. Not quite to the level of Viking/Cowboys Herschel Walker or Ditka lead Saints for Ricky Williams deal Both examples of over payment for a bill of goods hope and promise.

Position of intrigue expecting to be QB, but could also be Oline (though cost of that trade, this doesn't make sense)

Went from to

Browns Browns

Giants Giants

Colts Jets

Browns Browns

Broncos Broncos

Jets. Colts

Jets issue with the original order has to be the uncertainty of pick #6

Browns having Pick 1 & 4, Odds pretty strong they would trade down Pick #4 with another team seeking a QB

Colts, in trading with the Jets. Showed how vulnerable a position they were in. With the possibility Giants, Colts and Browns could trade down with others. Find themselves drafting the #6 QB.
Now they will have drafted the 2nd or 3rd qb in this draft class

All this stated, in moving p just 3 picks in this draft. Colts definitely fleeced the Jets

Jets afterall are more than a a single rookie player away from either a Dynasty or a Super Bowl.

• Like 1