Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Bye Bye Cubes - Mark Cuban, the Cardinal Bernard Law of the NBA

NBA COULD FORCE MARK CUBAN TO SELL DALLAS MAVERICKS FOLLOWING WORKPLACE MISCONDUCT ALLEGATIONS

http://www.newsweek.com/nba-could-force-mark-cuban-sell-mavericks-after-workplace-misconduct-815712

Mark Cuban could be forced to sell the Dallas Mavericks after a tumultuous couple of days saw him fined by the NBA for suggesting his team should tank, while the franchise also became embroiled in a sexual harassment scandal.
On Wednesday, a report by Sports Illustrated alleged former Mavs president Terdema Ussery, who spent 18 years at the franchise, had made sexually suggestive remarks to a number of women.
A day later, Cuban was fined $600,000 by the league for suggesting his team would be better off losing the remainder of its games this season.
Discussing both developments on ESPN’s Pardon the Interruption (PTI), the show’s co-host Tony Kornheiser said that NBA’s executives would be keeping a close eye on the Mavs.
“I could envision the league saying ‘We don’t want him [Cuban] owning this team anymore, we don’t think he is good for the league’,” he said.
In the past, the league has forced owners to sell their franchise, most notably in the case of former Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, who in April 2014 was fined $2.5m and banned from attending NBA games after a recording of him making racist remarks was released by TMZ Sports.
Following pressure from NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, Sterling sold the team a month later.
PTI’s other co-host, Michael Wilbon, insisted the Mavs’ case was completely different from the Clippers, as Cuban was allegedly unaware of events behind the scenes.
However, Kornheiser replied: “He [Cuban] is one of the most hands on guys in the league, it is going to be very hard to believe he knew nothing about this.”
The Sports Illustrated report added team website reporter Earl Sneed was twice accused of sexual assault during his spell as a Mavericks employee, including a guilty plea in a case that was dismissed when he met the conditions.
Sneed has since been fired. Cuban told Sports Illustrated that human resources director Buddy Pittman has also been given his marching orders, after further details of the report emerged.
Evan Krutoy and Anne Milgram have been appointed by the franchise to lead an independent investigation into the scandal, but Kornheiser suggested the NBA should set up its own inquiry.
“The league should step in today, thank Dallas for launching their own investigation without being asked to do so and then take over,” he said.
The expose also revealed Ussery, who joined the Mavs in 1997 and left in 2015, had been investigated by the Mavs over similar accusations in 1998.
“It was a real life Animal House ,” one former organization employee was quoted as saying by the report. “And I only say ‘was’ because I’m not there anymore. I’m sure it’s still going on.”
Mavs’ icon Dirk Nowitzki, who has spent two decades with the franchise, said he had been left “disgusted” by the reports.
“It’s very disappointing,” Nowitzki told The Dallas Morning News. “It’s heartbreaking. I’m glad it’s all coming out. I was disgusted when I read the article, obviously, as everybody was.”
Meanwhile, Cuban admitted he “had earned” his latest fine, after making remarks about tanking.
"I'm probably not supposed to say this, but, like, I just had dinner with a bunch of our guys the other night, and here we are, you know, we weren't competing for the playoffs,” he told told Julius Erving on the "House Call with Dr. J" podcast on 18 February.
"Adam [silver] would hate hearing that, but I at least sat down and I explained it to them [...] But being transparent, I think that's the key to being kind of a players' owner and having stability."

I'm not a fan of Cuban but I disagree that he should be held responsible because a guy that worked for him made sexually suggestive remarks. (If he didn't know)

If Cuban created an atmosphere where this behavior is ok, then fine, he's at fault. If it's a couple of guys doing this on their own, then why is it Cuban's fault?

It's not always good to just lay blame with the highest ranking guy. He can't know everything that is going on at all times.

I'm not a fan of Cuban but I disagree that he should be held responsible because a guy that worked for him made sexually suggestive remarks. (If he didn't know)

If Cuban created an atmosphere where this behavior is ok, then fine, he's at fault. If it's a couple of guys doing this on their own, then why is it Cuban's fault?

It's not always good to just lay blame with the highest ranking guy. He can't know everything that is going on at all times.

Dude. Cuban not only KNEW the guy was an abuser and a freak, he hired a chaperone so he was never alone with women. Cuban's excuse was "I didn't want to fire him and let him be hired by someone else and be their problem"

Donald Sterling had his franchise taken away because of a private conversation that was secretly recorded.

Donald Sterling had his franchise taken away because of a private conversation that was secretly recorded.

That had no legal ramifications. :dunno:

Dude. Cuban not only KNEW the guy was an abuser and a freak, he hired a chaperone so he was never alone with women. Cuban's excuse was "I didn't want to fire him and let him be hired by someone else and be their problem"

Ohhh, ok. I just skimmed the article. Missed that part. Nevermind then

https://sports.yahoo.com/horrible-mistake-mark-cuban-knew-ex-mavs-writers-domestic-violence-incidents-212435125.html

Mark Cuban on Wednesday took full responsibility for the decision to continue employing a writer for the Dallas Mavericks’ website for multiple years after two separate cases of domestic violence. The Mavericks owner acknowledged that while he didn’t know the full details of Earl K. Sneed’s incidents, he knew enough that he shouldn’t have made “a horrible mistake” by keeping him on staff.
“I want to be clear, I’m not putting the blame on anybody else,” Cuban told ESPN’s Tim MacMahon. “It came down to my final decision that I made.”

Owners knowingly sign and keep women beater players - this isn't any different.... He's not going anywhere.

Owners knowingly sign and keep women beater players - this isn't any different.... He's not going anywhere.

:wave:

Jerry Richardson made dirty old man jokes.

Even the slightest thing will get you ousted.

Riding down this slippery slope that started years ago is ffffuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnn!

Jerry Richardson made dirty old man jokes.

Even the slightest thing will get you ousted.

Riding down this slippery slope that started years ago is ffffuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnn!

:thumbsup:

Cubes has been a bane in the NBA's side for a long time.

it's comeuppance time

NBA gonna lose out on a lot of Mark Cuban fines. Dude is an ATM directly to the NBA front office.

I'm not condoning Cube's action - but if you can him for this, don't you have to axe other owners who have knowingly signed women beaters?

Mike Brown (Bengals owner) drafted and signed Joe Mixon - how's this any different? The Giants and Mara extended Josh Brown being full aware of his pleasure in beating women.. And Jerry, we all know about him.

I'm not condoning Cube's action - but if you can him for this, don't you have to axe other owners who have knowingly signed women beaters?

you're equating players to the team president?

A serial sexual harasser

For cubes to say he didn't know, he's lying.

you're equating players to the team president?

A serial sexual harasser

For cubes to say he didn't know, he's lying.

I'm equating team Owners to team Owners.

Owners have knowingly drafted, signed and employed women beating players.... This is different bcoz this employee worked in an office? That's ridiculous.

Mike Brown (Bengals owner) drafted and signed Joe Mixon - how's this any different? The Giants and Mara extended Josh Brown being full aware of his pleasure in beating his woman.. And Jerry, we all know about him.

Cruzer, you're thinking logically in a an illogical world.

There is Reality and there is Perceived Reality. The latter is the only one that truly matters. The mob will come (via media and social media), the fake outrage will come, and they will want blood.

so, just one guys opinion on Cuban here... I don't know a lot about him and I'm not looking him up, this is just based on the clips I see/hear occasionally.

he's easy to dislike - he's rich, brash, outspoken, opinionated, and flawed... but, like Charles Barkley, he seems authentic.

Cuban speaks his mind, no filter, and whether you like what he says or not, you're at least getting his truth. Authentic.

His wealth has allowed him to be himself, for better or worse.

he's easy to dislike - he's rich, brash, outspoken, opinionated, and flawed... but, like Charles Barkley, he seems authentic.

Cuban speaks his mind, no filter, and whether you like what he says or not, you're at least getting his truth. Authentic.

His wealth has allowed him to be himself, for better or worse.

Cubes is all those things - but you're right, he's authentic.

He's beloved around here bcoz he's as close to a common man billionaire as you can get. He's Blue Collar rooted and self made - he prefers tee shirts to suits and spends as much as he makes to ensure his players and fans are treated like no other.. At heart, he's still a kid... In fact before he got married, he built a gigantic house and purposely left the main room furniture free - it was totally empty. Why? So and his buddies could play Wiffle Ball.... But above all else, Cubes is beloved around here bcoz he gives so much back. No other owner in the Metroplex is as charitable and down to earth as Cubes - and the fans love him for it.

There is Reality and there is Perceived Reality

I like just plain ol Reality :wub:

I'm equating team Owners to team Owners.

Owners have knowingly drafted, signed and employed women beating players.... This is different bcoz this employee worked in an office? That's ridiculous.

yes.

NBA gonna lose out on a lot of Mark Cuban fines. Dude is an ATM directly to the NBA front office.

Pretty sure fines go to charity.

This will definitely not work in his favor.

it's comeuppance time

I think it would have to be the other owners who would decide to give him a comeuppance, doubt they are going to boot another billionaire for this....

I've always hated when owners make the team all about them. Cuban, Irsay, Jerry Jones, Kronke, Snyder... fock those guys.

I've always hated when owners make the team all about them. Cuban, Irsay, Jerry Jones, Kronke, Snyder... fock those guys.

As long as it's not my team, I'm all for no-nothing owners meddlling with the team, just means less competition. I'm sure Philly and Giant fans would like to see Jerry and Snyder be more involved with the day to day operations.

I'm still disappointed Jerry let himself get talked out of drafting Johnny Football in the first round a few years ago.

That ain't good..

I like just plain ol Reality :wub:

:wub:

FIRE IS GETTING HOTTER

a lot of other people are using my same quote that Cubes didn't fire this guy, so someone else didn't hire him.

Cubes saying he didn't know about this. yet claims to know everything

bye bye cubes :wave:

Will be interesting because he is a well liked guy in the league so you figure the rules are different for he favored owners

FIRE IS GETTING HOTTER

a lot of other people are using my same quote that Cubes didn't fire this guy, so someone else didn't hire him.

Cubes saying he didn't know about this. yet claims to know everything

bye bye cubes :wave:

You seem to be enjoying this, did Mark reject your idea on Shark Tank?

You seem to be enjoying this, did Mark reject your idea on Shark Tank?

always loved Cubes, a fellow nerd like myself. Great owner, outspoken, brash. I even like shark tank.

I like Cuban so I'm probably biased but I thought the fine for the tanking comments was stupid. Everyone knows the NBA has a tanking problem. The NBA knows it. Teams don't hide it. Just because Cuban came out and gave us a glimpse at the kind of convo that is likely commonplace among teams looking to tank (knicks this year, Sixers the past 5-6 years, golden state before them etc..) he deserves a fine? Okay I guess the optic isn't good but again, every NBA fan knows this is common practice.

Cubans hands on appoach has been good for the league, imo.

As for the sexual misconduct, perhaps I'm just at a point where I don't care anymore because of all the jumping on thr #me too bandwagon and my full belief that many women used their sexual attractiveness to their professional advantage and are now coming out to point fingers after they've already "made it". Not to excuse the behaviors against them but it's almost hypocritical in a way.

No way. He's a pillar of the liberal community. They will find a way to let anything slide.

No way. He's a pillar of the liberal community. They will find a way to let anything slide.

didn't he say he would run for POTUS as an R?