Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

The government will dictate exactly what people eat now?

My guess is that people will miraculously find work the second they are given food instead of money.

Aside from the fact that they arent given money, I am doubtful that the disabled, elderly or people already working poor are going to find work if you mail them food.

Aside from the fact that they arent given money, I am doubtful that the disabled, elderly or people already working poor are going to find work if you mail them food.

but the millions of others may
  • Like 1

but the millions of others may

We will never know cause this Blue Apron thing has no chance of getting off the ground.

We will never know cause this Blue Apron thing has no chance of getting off the ground.

then why are you all worked up about it?

blue apron aside, what about the other millions Drob was referencing. Any comment?

So I just got a call that the local newspaper wants to come in, will be here in 10 minutes to get my opinion on the proposed changes to the SNAP program. You buttnuggets keep debating it here, I actually have to put some thought into this and try to respond and provide information in a way that isn't going to p1$$ people off. As I'm usually on the fence, I'll probably make liberals mad as I'm not doing enough to protect the most vulnerable, and conservatives will be mad if I show signs of support for programs they perceive to be filled with abuse and misuse.

:bench:

Take a serious look at my post above. Completely doable without adding extra layers of bureaucracy, logistics and delivery problems

blue apron aside, what about the other millions Drob was referencing. Any comment?

What about them? I dont support food stamp abuse.

What about them? I dont support food stamp abuse.

If the idea of giving food versus doling out an EBT card weeds out the abuse, wouldn't that be a good thing?

If the idea of giving food versus doling out an EBT card weeds out the abuse, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Yes but like I keep saying, there are huge problems with the idea and I doubt it gets off the ground. Mostly I think floating the idea was a stunt to give drobeski types a semi.

Every grocery store has their own private label canned goods, pastas, bread, milk, eggs, cheese and other staples.

Put together a monthly box that has the same ingredients and have every basic grocery chain in the state price out the box for the govt.

Send the recipient a pick list of everything thats in the box each month, and tell them where they can take the list to have it fulfilled.

The recipient shops and pulls the items on the list, making sure they get the correct stuff as they go. When they get to the register, the cashier verifies the items are correct, scans a single sku and and collects the signed pick ticket as payment.

The signed pick ticket gets sent to the govt as an invoice for payment.

No reason to over complicate it.

Also, I have a hard time believing there are no grocery stores within reach of current food stamp recipients. Theyre getting there and back now. That wouldnt change at all in the scenario above.

while some things seem simple in theory, it's usually not the case. Are you providing sliced carrots this month or canned peas? Because I'm sure one commodity group favors their item while the other favors theirs.

while some things seem simple in theory, it's usually not the case. Are you providing sliced carrots this month or canned peas? Because I'm sure one commodity group favors their item while the other favors theirs.

Yes but choosing like that is a luxury. When youre getting it for free then you deal with it. Cut off the funds and let them go without food for a week and see how much they favor one over the other

Yes but choosing like that is a luxury. When youre getting it for free then you deal with it. Cut off the funds and let them go without food for a week and see how much they favor one over the other

you don't get what I'm saying. Someone has to choose which options are provided, and within that process you have lobbyists pushing for every food commodity to be included in the program. And to that point, entities like frito and Tyson and others who probably don't want to move away from consumer choice. It's not just the folks receiving snap who have a vested interest in this.

also, everyone complains about the nutritional content of what's being bought; you move to something like this and you eliminate any chance for someone to acquire fresh produce through the system. Produce distribution is a logistical nightmare, speaking from experience.

you don't get what I'm saying. Someone has to choose which options are provided, and within that process you have lobbyists pushing for every food commodity to be included in the program. And to that point, entities like frito and Tyson and others who probably don't want to move away from consumer choice. It's not just the folks receiving snap who have a vested interest in this.

Maybe but every grocery store has generic, store brands the people can choose from. It doesnt have to be green giant or del monte canned vegetables. It can be food lion brand

Maybe but every grocery store has generic, store brands the people can choose from. It doesnt have to be green giant or del monte canned vegetables. It can be food lion brand

producers of every crop have lobby organizations, not just food producers. It's possible a product like cranberries for instance wouldn't be a profitable endeavor if not for govt commodity programs.

Same stuff every single month. Basic staples only. No variations ever.

This box represents only half their allotment. They can spend the balance as they wish and get seasonally fresh food, or White Castles.

As for the lobbyists, fock them.

The FDA can make the final product selections and do an annual rotation to keep things fair for the potatoes guys vs the rice guys, etc.

Commodity system now currently functions as price control and support for ag commodities; doesn't change based on what recipients would seem to want. Grapefruit, cranberries, walnuts are always available when in season it seems. You will have a hard time convincing me that a snap harvest type box could be operated fairly with the market fluctuations and every type of grower out there wanting their product to be included in the boxes.

also, everyone complains about the nutritional content of what's being bought; you move to something like this and you eliminate any chance for someone to acquire fresh produce through the system. Produce distribution is a logistical nightmare, speaking from experience.

They can get the produce when they have to get off their butts and go harvest it to earn money for pork rinds.