Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Divisional Playoffs - Green Bay at Dallas: In-Game Discussion

A Note:

In the event of overtime in a playoff game, time is not limited. In other words, if necessary, play will extend beyond an additional quarter. They will play until one team wins - because playoff games cannot end in a tie.

The Packers gave up a 17pt lead to freakin' Matt Barkley at the end of the regular season, doesn't surprise me they did it again vs Dallas. One of the main reasons I took the over.

A Note:

In the event of overtime in a playoff game, time is not limited. In other words, if necessary, play will extend beyond an additional quarter. They will play until one team wins - because playoff games cannot end in a tie.

Gee, thanks for that...I thought for sure both teams would play the Falcons next week!

• Like 1

Gee, thanks for that...I thought for sure both teams would play the Falcons next week!

Hey, anytime. :)

A Note:

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

Enough with "icing the kicker". That sh*t has long since gotten old.

Never works. Especially when you call it so late he gets a free warmup kick.

Never works. Especially when you call it so late he gets a free warmup kick.

Plus, kickers like Crosby are un-iceable. Still, coaches want to think they have some control and since they flubbed the previous possession by spiking the ball instead of taking the TO, they might as well use it.

• Like 1

In a platonic sort of way, it was heartening to see Ty Montgomery come through with a game that approached his potential. When he had his break out at midseason, I was daydreaming about what he could be like if the coaches pretended that they had a Le'Veon Bell of their own on their hands. Make no mistake - he's not Bell and it's only the presence of a Rodgers - Nelson, Adams & Cobb engine that the defense has to respect that open the door for him to be a Bell pretender. But I scooped him off the wire and thought I had some dynamite on my hands. It's a shame the coaches took so long to see it, too (if indeed they really have because next season you'll have a healthy Lacy and Starks and who knows what else.)

By far the best playoff game played this past weekend.

And that's not saying much.

Sorry to the Cowboy fans and Congrats to the Packer fans.

RODGERS IS ON A LEVEL THAT NO ONE HAS EVER TOUCHED - GUY IS AN INSANELY EFFICIENT TALENT, MOST RUTHLESS WE'VE EVER SEEN ... HE'S DRAGGING ONE OF THE MOST UNDERMANNED ROSTERS IN PLAYOFF HISTORY TO THE LOMBARDI TROPHY

IAMNEWPOSTERGUY!!1!11111!1!!1

In the end, we lost for the exact same reasons we lost the Divisional game to GB back in 2014 - we couldn't make stops and get Rodgers off the field on 3rd downs. .. And in game like this, you can't expect to win shootouts, you leave it in the hands of who has the ball last - and Rodgers did.

• Like 1

In the end, we lost for the exact same reasons we lost the Divisional game to GB back in 2014 - we couldn't make stops and get Rodgers off the field on 3rd downs. .. And in game like this, you can expect to win shootouts, you leave it in the hands of who has the ball last - and Rodgers did.

can't argue with this at all. 2017 draft needs to result in a giant pile of DEs and CBs.

what a game - hope sho is lovin this run, hope it lasts to the SB

Of course...don't come into the mange board as much anymore or in the fantasy offseason.

Great game...this team may give me a heart attack.

can't argue with this at all. 2017 draft needs to result in a giant pile of DEs and CBs.

And when we did make a rare stop, we shot ourselves in the ass with stupid penalties or something.. Stopping #12 is hard enuff as it's with 3 downs, we gave him 4 on more than one occasion.. We also had some killer drops - Dak dropped a dime right in Butlers arms for 6 and he booted it. The 3rd down pass that hit T-Dub in the numbers and he spit out was also a killer.

But I'm equally pissed at this staff. Once again Red bumbled the clock and once again Linehan got too cute. Zeke is tearing off chunks of damn near 6 each time he runs it, and we decide to chunk it on 3rds and short - more than once.

Jerry is 76 years of old, his days are numbered.. If he truly wants 1 more ring, he's gonna have swallow his pride and hire a real coach.. No more puppets, we need a real head coach. Red is a great human being, wonderful man, but is not cut out to be in charge of a team.. How many more one-and-dones, botched clock management and play calling F'ups do we have to endure?

Given this team, this talent, a Bill Cower has us not only in the SB, but well liked.

We also had some killer drops - Dak dropped a dime right in Butlers arms for 6 and he booted it. The 3rd down pass that hit T-Dub in the numbers and he spit out was also a killer.

so true. the difference in the game was that GB kept coming up with phenomenal plays, and DAL couldn't make normal plays. the penalty on butler? i've been watching pro football every week since 1978, and i have never seen that penalty called. ever. butler wasn't all the way in the huddle, but it doesn't matter--somehow a professional football player doesn't understand whether he is supposed to be in on the play or not. and even when defenders know for a fact that they aren't in on a play--and that the opposing QB specializes in catching 12 on--they still lollygag their way off the field.

as for coaching, you're just wrong there. JG lost a top-10 QB and went 13-3 with a 'project' guy who was widely considered to be the 12th best QB prospect in the draft class. JG had the balls to declare zeke the top prospect when god and everybody was saying that ramsey was a generational talent and zeke was nothing special. thanks to the MMQB article, we know for a fact that zeke over ramsey was garrett's stamp. what all this means is that the structure, scheme, and philosophy of the offense that got DAL to this game--and almost won the game against arguably the greatest QB in league history in one of his greatest performances--was garrett's. i do agree that we should have seen more zeke, but that's a difficult call when you're down 18 to an apparently unstoppable offense, so i understand it. linehan had a godlike season of play design and playcalling, so just can him? no.

it's angry season--we all want to blame something. but don't forget the reality of the garrett era--he took over a 1-5 team and kept them playoff-relevant during a 3 year rebuilding cycle. the only reason for 1-and-dones is that he overachieved in getting there in the first place...and that includes this season. by complaining, you're literally penalizing him for being extra-good at his job. the 2014 playoff run happened with one of the worst defensive rosters in the league, and this year's talent level wasn't much better. so think clearly--he has been a fantastic coach given what he had to work with.

as for coaching, you're just wrong there. JG lost a top-10 QB and went 13-3 with a 'project' guy who was widely considered to be the 12th best QB prospect in the draft class. JG had the balls to declare zeke the top prospect when god and everybody was saying that ramsey was a generational talent and zeke was nothing special. thanks to the MMQB article, we know for a fact that zeke over ramsey was garrett's stamp. what all this means is that the structure, scheme, and philosophy of the offense that got DAL to this game--and almost won the game against arguably the greatest QB in league history in one of his greatest performances--was garrett's. i do agree that we should have seen more zeke, but that's a difficult call when you're down 18 to an apparently unstoppable offense, so i understand it. linehan had a godlike season of play design and playcalling, so just can him? no.

it's angry season--we all want to blame something. but don't forget the reality of the garrett era--he took over a 1-5 team and kept them playoff-relevant during a 3 year rebuilding cycle. the only reason for 1-and-dones is that he overachieved in getting there in the first place...and that includes this season. by complaining, you're literally penalizing him for being extra-good at his job. the 2014 playoff run happened with one of the worst defensive rosters in the league, and this year's talent level wasn't much better. so think clearly--he has been a fantastic coach given what he had to work with.

I actually think I'm dead balls on.

Many (like yourself) seem to have forgotten what it is excellence means. The Bots around here have conditioned themselves into believing that "aw-shucks guys", "almost made its" and "occasional playoff appearances" are the mark of a successful franchise.... Well not me, that's a load of crap. That might work in Cleveland and for Jacksonville, but we are the freaking Dallas Cowboys. That used to mean something - not just here, but around the league. Tom Landry built a legacy here that put us on the map - gave us an identity. And once he passed, Jimmy carried the torch.. Those guys set the bar for us, the Dallas Cowboys bar - which is way different than most everyone else's... We used to measure excellence around here with NFC Championships, SB appearances and Rings - now the pom pom crowd measure it with Participation Ribbons.

I give Red some credit for targeting Zeke - he has been everything as advertised. But hell, we were drafting 4th, we had better hit on that pick... And I still contend, we are no worse off if we have a similar type RB back there than him. As great as he's been - I'm betting Derrick Henry, Jay Ajaji or a handful of others is doing almost as well behind this line..... I said draft night - Zeke will be great and Zeke will make Pro Bowls - but he can't stop the run and he can't cover on 3rd down - and sure enough, that came true Sunday night................. As far as Dak - I'm no more going to fall all over myself giving Red credit for that than I am Belichick for finding Brady - both fell out of the sky and into their laps, damn near blind ass luck. As you well know, K. Moore was going to be our Qb - then after that, we tried to trade for one - it was crazy ass fate that we settled for Dak. And bcoz of that, I give Dak most of the credit for him being Dak. He took (basically) the exact same team Red had last year and turned it into 13-3 from 4-12 - Garrett didn't do that, Dak did it.

But speaking of Red.. He was choking on his own vomit well before we got 18 down... Right out of the box, the very 1st drive of the game - Red showed his ass.. Home crowd, fired up to high hell, place going crazy, Boys driving down the field, Packers 32 yard line, 3rd and 2 - (shotgun) DEEP PASS to Bryant, INCOMPLETE. Are you freaking kidding me????? Weren't we sold a bag of goods - that by drafting Zeke we would control the clock, dominate short yardage, keep Rodgers off the field? In the biggest game of the year, in a Divisional-go home elimination game, in a situation you based your entire draft on - Garrett completely pisses all over himself and does that??? What happen to Zeke and power and keeping Rodgers off the field? In that situation a real HC has to look at it like he has 2 downs to get 2 yards. He has 2 downs with the best offensive line in football, with the leagues' leading rusher, at home, against the weakest defensive team left in the playoffs - he has to go and get those 2 freaking yards, continue the drive, get 6 and make a statement................ But nah, Red does what Red normally does - craps the bed......... We ended up settling for a 51 yard fg - and then the ensuing kickoff, kick it out of the end zone.. Which meant GB got the ball on the 25 - we were on the 32.. Even if by some miracle we don't get the 1st down, GB gets the ball on the 32 instead of the 25, so we swapped out all of 7 yards, really??? ............................ That was just one of many goofs by the man in charge this game, but he's made a career of doing it for a while now. That single opening drive set the tone for the entire game. That signaled to GB (and our own team) that the #1 Seeded home team didn't have the balls to take the fight to the visiting Pack, that drive signaled Red waving the flag, that drive signaled we were going to play cautious and "hope" for good things to come - it signaled we were scared... But Jason Garrett is a swell guy and the Participation Ribbons look really pretty on the wall - so we have that going for us.

Atlanta, NE, Pitt, KC - those would have been really hard outs... But this Cowboys team had no business losing to GB at home, none.

you're trying to have it both ways. you claim that DAL had no business losing to GB--that DAL had a superior team structure. but then you argue that the team structure is fatally flawed, and we lost to GB because of it. you have to make up your mind.

you're trying to have it both ways. you claim that DAL had no business losing to GB--that DAL had a superior team structure. but then you argue that the team structure is fatally flawed, and we lost to GB because of it. you have to make up your mind.

Absolutely not, you can have it both ways in this instance.

The talent of this Cowboys team was far superior to what GB had. Red had very little to do with that, that was Stephen, Will and yes - even Jerry to a degree. And given this team, in a home playoff game - our commander in chief choked - again... Red's one glaring stamp on the personnel of this team (Zeke) he completely abandoned and went away from. GB didn't even have to worry about taking Zeke out of the game, our dumbass staff did it for them..

Maybe had we not been sold the bill of goods on draft night, maybe had we not been told we we're going to use the power run game to make up for our defensive inefficiencies, maybe had we not been told we were going to play keep away by running the ball - then, then maybe I can live with this result. But you, and a gazillion other Zeke defenders, assured me otherwise..... It is absolutely unforgivable and absolutely unacceptable to (1st) lineup in shotgun formation and throw it on the crucial early 3rd and 2, and it's equally inexcusable to have the settle for a fg bcoz you didn't have the balls to take the fight to GB, didn't have to fortitude to execute what you planned and drafted for and didn't have the sack to trust the best line and back in football to get you 2 stinking yards, with 2 chances, at home with 100,000 plus jacked up screaming home team fans.... And like I said, it sent a message to not only the Packers, but to our own team and fans as well.

But this was just one of several botched choke jobs Red pulled. He's not capable of handling the big moment, least not as a coach... But we got close and had a really good season. Red will prolly get a raise and the city will prolly throw a parade for winning the division.

Tell you another thing, and tell tell sign Red is over his head.

On the big, early, opening drive 3rd and 2 - not only did Garrett chicken out and wave the flag, he proved to the entire football watching world that he never had any plans of going for it anyways.. Red made up hIs mind that if the pass didn't work, he was settling for a fg attempt. If he had, if he had the killer instinct to go out and win this game - he would of recognized that situation as a 2 play series. He would of approached it different, he would not of left his fate on a 30 yard deep pass... Which is another thing, we didn't even try to hide it, we don't even make GB think about play action, Zeke or a boot - he lined up in shotgun and announced, "Hey, we're throwing it!"

You think Jimmy pulls that stunt, you think Jimmy doesn't feed Emmitt and or Zeke the rock twice in a row, you think Jimmy passes on the chance to step on their throat? H, E, double hockey sticks no.

Tell you another thing, and tell tell sign Red is over his head.

On the big, early, opening drive 3rd and 2 - not only did Garrett chicken out and wave the flag, he proved to the entire football watching world that he never had any plans of going for it anyways.. Red made up hIs mind that if the pass didn't work, he was settling for a fg attempt. If he had, if he had the killer instinct to go out and win this game - he would of recognized that situation as a 2 play series. He would of approached it different, he would not of left his fate on a 30 yard deep pass... Which is another thing, we didn't even try to hide it, we don't even make GB think about play action, Zeke or a boot - he lined up in shotgun and announced, "Hey, we're throwing it!"

You think Jimmy pulls that stunt, you think Jimmy doesn't feed Emmitt and or Zeke the rock twice in a row, you think Jimmy passes on the chance to step on their throat? H, E, double hockey sticks no.

Jimmy? He's been gone what. 25 years now? Move on.

Jimmy? He's been gone what. 25 years now? Move on.

You clearly missed the message, shocking.

You clearly missed the message, shocking.

I don't think I am

In the end, we lost for the exact same reasons we lost the Divisional game to GB back in 2014 - we couldn't make stops and get Rodgers off the field on 3rd downs. .. And in game like this, you can't expect to win shootouts, you leave it in the hands of who has the ball last - and Rodgers did.

True.....we've been pushing for Defense for what, 10 - 15 years now? Once we fill a couple holes, look out NFL.

Dude you can't get to the QB on every play, and with Rodgers you pretty much need a pro bowl line with his scrambling skills. Heath clobbered him on the second down play. Any normal QB coughs that ball up.

You lost this game for the same reason you lost in 2014 all right. But that reason is Aaron Rodgers. Your team went out on its shield, it just got beat by one of the greatest players of all time who made a sick, sick play on third and 22.