Sign in to follow this  
Marshall

Punting 101

Can we punt this thread?

Well it's offseason, so yeah, I'm grasping at straws here. Still, it was kind of nifty to learn something about a position that I previously knew very little about.

Maybe you'll feel the same after reading Johnny Hekker's 'What You Don't Know About: Being a Punter'. :dunno:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/johnny-hekker-rams-punting/

Interesting read. The timing aspect was cool to me.

1.9 seconds.

It would be fascinating to go out to a park and see how quick and how far a normal Joe could kick a ball under those conditions. Even without snapping the ball.

• Like 1

Interesting read. The timing aspect was cool to me.

1.9 seconds.

It would be fascinating to go out to a park and see how quick and how far a normal Joe could kick a ball under those conditions. Even without snapping the ball.

That could be fun. : )

What I don't get (no matter how many times I see it done) is how the heck punters manage those bouncing, vertical splits without falling to the ground in a heap of tangled limbs. Their kicking leg is raised to forehead level...yikes! Just thinking about trying that makes me wince.

I have a new-found respect for their specialized athleticism.

I have a new-found respect for their specialized athleticism.

Ive long said that's the best way to get into the pros.

Career longevity, minimal risk of injury, and it's so specialized that you likely have a great chance of finding a landing spot as a starter somewhere (college).

Ive long said that's the best way to get into the pros.

Career longevity, minimal risk of injury, and it's so specialized that you likely have a great chance of finding a landing spot as a starter somewhere (college).

I'd felt the same - but always thought that kicker was the way to go.

After reading Hekker's piece though, I think that being a punter may be preferable. It really seems like a great gig.

I'd felt the same - but always thought that kicker was the way to go.

After reading Hekker's piece though, I think that being a punter may be preferable. It really seems like a great gig.

Kicking is so much harder.