Sign in to follow this  
phan a tic

Does anybody here have a Peanut allergy

By celiac do you mean adverse reactions to Monsanto weed killers? :dunno:

No, I mean celiac: an autoimmune disease which leads to malabsorption, among other problems. There is a blood test for the antibodies specific to the illness.

No, I mean celiac: an autoimmune disease which leads to malabsorption, among other problems. There is a blood test for the antibodies specific to the illness.

So... we've gone from a disease that nobody ever heard of 25 years ago to one which affects 1% of the population? Does that seem odd to you? :dunno:

So... we've gone from a disease that nobody ever heard of 25 years ago to one which affects 1% of the population? Does that seem odd to you? :dunno:

YOU hadn’t heard about it...I remember being told it was common in med school 20 years ago.

And no, it isnt unheard of for increased awareness and new tests leading to more diagnoses - breast cancer is a good example. One problem is, sometimes your tests are so sensitive it isn’t clear what to do with the results. Prostate and thyroid cancer fall into this dilemma.

Boiled peanuts are delicious. Local grocery stores keep them when they are in season. 5 lbs makes a good batch.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of Middle Ground there. I know people who absolutely hate them. And then there's people like you.

Autism.

I blame it on gluten. Or democrats.

Autism.

I blame it on gluten. Or democrats.

Its a little harder with psychiatric illness, with ADHD being another example. The difference with celiac disease is there are both blood and biopsy specimens to confirm the diagnosis, not a bunch of subjective behavioral criteria.