Sign in to follow this  
Upper Class Trash

Do you handcuff your RB's? If so, why?

I was looking through my old dynasty / redraft leagues over the weekend. I wanted to check on something in particular - how handcuffing players has worked out for owners. I do not handcuff my RB's as some other owners do. Instead, I do my best to not take a risk on an injury prone player, usually passing on them in favor of someone slightly less productive, but with a healthy track record.

What I found was pretty interesting. The majority of the time a RB has been lost for the season, it isn't his pre-season handcuff that takes over the starting RB duties. I went back as far as 2007. Anything further would be outdated and I think you can make a case that even '07 is too far back. Fantasy football changes from year to year.

Last season, Andre Brown was an early handcuff to David Wilson. Ben Tate was the handcuff for Arian Foster. Latavious Murray was the supposed to take over when (not if) McFadden was injured. As of August 30th (per ESPN's Article), Mikel Leshoure was the handcuff to own to Bush in Detroit (stupid article in my opinion as most of us knew is was NOT Leshoure, but Bell who would be the backup).

There were other instances too of failure with handcuffs as well. Taylor was the handcuff to Mendenhall in Arizona, but Ellington went on a nice roll. When the Rams backfield did nothing over the first half of the season, Zac S. stepped in and did a nice job, yet he wasn't the handcuff to anyone and wasn't drafted in most leagues. Many backfields turn into a total trainwreck once the starter goes down (Jacksonville, Cleveland, New York, New England, Tampa, Atlanta, Baltimore and more, as examples).

I'm wondering if it isn't better off skipping handcuffs altogether for the average owner instead of wasting mid to late round picks on handcuffs??? I prefer to use my late round picks in both redraft and dynasty on guys with potential, vs. guys I know will begin the season with 1/10 shot of seeing the field (RB handcuff). Now, this doesn't apply to situations where there are true RBBC's going on (Buffalo). That's different than a handcuff. Very different.

On the surface, it sure seems like drafting handcuffs does nothing for your team. I'm sure in some instances, someone has had "success" with a true handcuff they drafted, but from what I've found, you are much better off just using the waiver wire.

Skipping it is better . Handcuff can sit all season and that never helps

• Like 1

I stopped drafting handcuffs. I can use that pick on another Rb that actually starts than on one that may never see the field at all.

I stopped drafting handcuffs. I can use that pick on another Rb that actually starts than on one that may never see the field at all.

Agree. In the age of RBBC, are there really that many true "handcuffs" anyway? To the extent there are, the better strategy is to grab the best handcuff available, regardless of who has the lead back. For example, Christine Michael is gonna be on a lot of my teams this year (he was last year too), and I'll never draft Lynch. Same with Charles Sims/Martin.

And not to nitpick, but a lot of the guys you mentioned were the handcuffs and just didn't step in as such due to their own injuries (Tate, Murray), and others were never really considered handcuffs in the firs place (Leshoure, S. Taylor).

In certain situations I will handcuff but generally speaking, I don't not want to spend 2 picks on 1 player.

Rice and Pierce is a perfect example and part of why rice is on my dnd list. I'm not paying the price I need to pay for pierce to effectively have 1 starting RB on my roster.

Some situations where I will handcuff is if I'm taking a rb in round 1 or 2 and I feel there is a clear cut handcuff that I can get cheaply enough. Montee Ball and CJ Anderson, Jamaal Charles and Knife Davis are examples...

Now oddly enough even though I won't draft a guy like pierce if I own rice, I will draft pierce if I have a conviction he might start and I don't own rice..

Handcuff, no. I will grab both sides of a RBBC at times when the value is there, with them serving as bye-week filler unless one of the commitee misses time.

About 10 years ago. I was the huge draft RB's in rounds 1 and 2 type guy. I'd also either draft their backups way later on. OR. I would make my #3 RB from a platoon team, and take both of them. It depended how the draft was going after the first 5 rounds or so.

With the way teams use RB's these days. That drafting style (at least on my part) has gone the way of the dinosaur.

And your right too. Thinking back on it. I'm not sure if I ever really even used anyone. They were most likely dropped at some point for a bye week guy, or injury scramble.

Thomas Jones had a great handcuff who couldn't read his blocks as well.

• Like 1

Yearly there are only a few select backups to target and its usually late picks or 5th rbs.

Thomas Jones had a great handcuff who couldn't read his blocks as well.

:D

I dont plan on my #1-2 picks going down so I hardly ever handcuff unless he's going into the season injured. Play for the win and get the most depth and value as possible... there's just not enough room for a player that will hopefully sit the entire year. I get the strategy but it only works if he goes very late. Rounds 12-16 other than that you probably could find value somewhere else.

It is matter of preference and famlliarity.

With a 'bell cow' or a injury risk RB, I want a plug n play backup. Sure, you can miss if you aren't sure who the backup really is. Last year I had Reggie Bush, Joique Bell and their 3rd stringer. Same w. Jamaal Charles.

I like certainty at at least 2 of my RB slots, 3 if I can. This has worked better for me than having other players' high quality backups. Not saying my strategy is better per se, but my execution of it has been better than the alternative.

I think if the backup to your top back is capable its a good idea to have a handcuff.

I agree; Quality of the offense and offensive line are key too.

Plus, I'm not taking the handcuff while there are other backs with greater, immediate opportunity on the board. It is an insurance move that usually comes at the expense of an extra WR or TE.

Piling on. Its very difficult to expect anyone to produce at the same level as a running back that would fall into this category to begin with. I would rather burn a spot by having a lottery ticket in a RBBC ala Stacy last season

It also depends on how deep your league is as well. Naturally people playing in 8-12 team leagues aren't really going to draft any handcuffs. Maybe a few but a majority wouldn't waste a roster space. However, the deeper the leagues go the more valuable a RB handcuff is. For instance whn foster went down last year, the guy who drafted his handcuff (Ben Tate) struck gold. These are in leagues 14+ usually. So if you have that many teams in your league then yes draft a handcuff. If you're in 8-12 team leagues the. I would advise you to look at other options before drafting a handcuff

Good points on both sides. I tend to lean towards upside elsewhere. Would rather wait on a player who could have flex value on his own.

I was thinking about making a thread about this but would anyone be comfortable waiting on running back a little in hopes of getting 2 guys from the same squad?

This is something I'd only try in PPR and with select teams...but I could see duos like Bush-Bell, Matthews-Woodhead, McCoy-Sproles possibly combine for very nice numbers again.

Who are these studs people are passing on if they draft a handcuff? I never understand this because the players that are being drafted in handcuff rounds are mostly lottery tickets anyway.

An exception are a few receivers that i believe are under valued, but there are only a few.

Who are these studs people are passing on if they draft a handcuff? I never understand this because the players that are being drafted in handcuff rounds are mostly lottery tickets anyway.

An exception are a few receivers that i believe are under valued, but there are only a few.

I usually already have 4 rbs by round 7 that actually start so I don't really handcuff. When I do take another RB or two in the later rounds it's usually someone that has a possibility of being the starter mid-late of the season. Drafted Stacy last year as my 5th RB and it worked out well. I might do the same this year with tre mason or someone like him. Not sure yet. Definitely targeting McFadden and MJD late in the draft due to upside only

It's so team and draft specific but just looking at current standard ADP....Freeman-Mason-Blount-Hyde-Ivory are all bunched up.

http://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp.php?format=standard&year=2014&teams=12&view=graph&pos=rb

I guess the debate to me kind of boils down to something like say you take SJax. Are you def taking freeman and likely have 1 of those guys emerge every week to cover yourself?

Or are you more likely to maybe Michael or Hyde? You won't have the handcuff...but if one of those guys hits maybe you have 2 start able players.

Yeah those are all handcuffs. Its what i mean. If your going to draft a rb late its going to be someones handcuff. Unless you are drafting one that plays behind an injury prone rb, its a complete guess as to which ones will even get a chance to play. Might as well make one of them the backup to your top rb.

Oh and did benny cunningham die? He is still in stl and will most likely be the next man up if stacy gets hurt, not mason.

Depends on the league. In a 14 team dynasty league with 35 roster spots I might handcuff my handcuff.

In a 12 team league with 15 roster spots I usually do not handcuff.

I never have handcuffed any position - And the logic is simple... if you handcuff A. Peterson with T. Gerhart (a common handcuff over the last few years) your betting against AP....your basically asking for AP to get hurt?

Doesnt seem logical to me?

I never have handcuffed any position - And the logic is simple... if you handcuff A. Peterson with T. Gerhart (a common handcuff over the last few years) your betting against AP....your basically asking for AP to get hurt?

Thats because what you said isnt logical. I am never betting against my first pick and i doubt anyone here really is. Itz just a matter of insurance. If my first rb taken gets injured i will then have a backup capable of similar production to step in.

I won't pass on a 'stud' just to cuff a rb but will not hesitate to draft a cuff a round early in the back half of the draft once I have my starters

In the past I have picked up a handcuff, off of waiver wires, after bye weeks make things less complicated, Do not like it and trying to unload A. Foster because of it.

Lacy is a keeper and I will def draft Starks in second to last rd, proved he can perform when Lacy went down last yr

I only draft handcuff when the handcuff can provide similar production given the opportunities, otherwise I'd rather to go some high upside guys.

I do try to handcuff my rb this year it was the rookie rb that the bears took and I have forte. Now my league is 14 teams and no waiver wire so if u lose someone u can't replace him. And u hope after his rookie contract is up he goes and starts for another team.

I usually already have 4 rbs by round 7 that actually start so I don't really handcuff. When I do take another RB or two in the later rounds it's usually someone that has a possibility of being the starter mid-late of the season. Drafted Stacy last year as my 5th RB and it worked out well. I might do the same this year with tre mason or someone like him. Not sure yet. Definitely targeting McFadden and MJD late in the draft due to upside only

If 12 teams each take 4 RBs in the first half of the draft, who is left? Slim pickings... so, again, if I have a talented backup on the right offense, I'll take the insurance.

And, if you like your Stacy pick last year... and now you're considering rostering Mason - that is a handcuff (in keeper/dynasty formats).

Back when it was a no brainier to go RB, RB, and there was very little RBBC. I used to get 2 stud RB's to start then get my 3rd RB for bye weeks in like round 5 or 6, then get what was usually their clear cut for starters handcuff in rounds 12 or so. It usually always worked out for the season. That would give you just 5 RB's on your roster. Now days I like to have 6 or 7 on my roster. I know that sounds crazy but if you draft a couple of Stud WR's early you can go with just 4 of them in ppr giving you room for the backs. Of course stay on top of WW and be opened to trades. So now days I don't worry about handcuffs so much with all this RBBC

If 12 teams each take 4 RBs in the first half of the draft, who is left? Slim pickings... so, again, if I have a talented backup on the right offense, I'll take the insurance.

And, if you like your Stacy pick last year... and now you're considering rostering Mason - that is a handcuff (in keeper/dynasty formats).

Not all teams will have drafted 4 rbs in the first half. And I don't play in dynasty/keeper leagues but rostering Mason isn't handcuffing. It's essentially what I did last year with Stacy and Gio (even though I traded Gio for an upgrade at WR) which was drafting a guy who you think will end up the starter due to out playing the other RBs.

No, you're drafting insurance for a bell cow to get replaced by a bell cow.

I only handcuff if the RB system isn't a committee and I know that the handcuff will get almost all the work in replacement. It's just insurance though. You never root for your stud RB to go down.

Joique Bell was a handcuff last season that had better stats than many RBBC players drafted. I think the big thing that led to his ownership rate was that many people ( not just Reggie Bush owners) expected Bush to get hurt at some point and banked on having the next guy in line.

So essentially, if you ARE going to handcuff, make sure that it's a situation that could feasibly happen.

Forte, ADP, DeMarco, Tate are all guys that you could conceivably handcuff this season knowing their replacement goes into a situation of vast potential.

Someone like Jamaal Charles or LeSean McCoy hasn't demonstrated (yet, and ideally never) a rash of injuries. Obviously it can happen to anyone, but for some "studs" or borderline elite players, it's a crapshoot banking on injuries.

Handcuffing is not an illogical or stupid thing to do, it's just harder to do than it used to be cuz there's less value in doing so compared to years past. Last year, Bryce Brown was a good pick for the McCoy owner at the draft. It's just about having 1 spot locked up and not having to worry about not having a player to plug in in case of injury. There are very few guys this year I'd consider drafting as a handcuff, I can't even think of any.

There's a rule in fantasy tho. As soon as you decide to cut your handcuff who has been rotting on the bench, your starter will come down with the flu and miss a game. Same goes for random free agents. Every week if I have a free roster spot, I always take a swing on a random rb on the wire that I think "if the right guy got hurt, I'd have a decent start here.". But like clockwork, if I keep him for a few weeks then cut him, there will be an injury and all of a sudden people are fighting on waivers for the guy I cut. It's a certainty. The thing is, if I keep him, no one will get hurt.