Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Heading to Rome tomorrow.

Whuuuu huuuuu!! It's Mrs...beer's 40th Birfday on the 6th and she's always wanted to go to Greece. Since we're flying into Rome and taking a cruise ship from there, we decided to just stay a few more days prior to see a little of Rome.

Fly out tomorrow evening from Minneapolis... lay over in Frankfurt for a couple hours, then in Rome at 2:30 pm and probably jet lagged as fock. Focking off the rest of the day. Vatican, St. Peters, Basilica, and the Sistien Chapel tour in the morning on Saturday. Focking off that evening. Sunday morning pytz around Rome, early afternoon get to the ship. Then it's off to Santorini, Mykonos, Athens, and Katakolon, for 7 nights. Then back to Rome Sunday morning at 5am to fock off the whole day... fly home on Monday the 11th.

Super stoked... Lots of sight-seeing, buzzing, and the schexy times planned. :)

Just the Mrs and I as the kids are with my parents for a few weeks. I've never been to Europe... been needing this for awhile.

How bad are Ouzo hangovers? :huh:

• Like 2

When in Rome..........

See some sights, I guess. I don't know. :dunno:

Its a poor shathole from what I have heard. But great sights and beautiful landscape. Plus you could be getting prodded in the balls and it would be fun as long as bratty kids arent around and there is peace and quiet. Sounds like you will have the best tiem ever really. Live it up, relax and have a drink.

• Like 1

Always wanted to go. Enjoy it man and let me know how it is. I plan on taking the Mrs in a year or two :cheers:

• Like 1

Have a blast.

I'll be crossing the pacific as you cross the Atlantic. It is such a mindfock to travel for thirty some-odd hours and land only five hours after you left. Focking date line.

• Like 1

Ouzo is potent. Taste like black licorish. It'll creep up on you. :cheers:

• Like 1

If you want to avoid jet lag, sit as close to the front of the plane as possible. The back gets the least oxygen and that's what causes jet lag.

outstanding. one our many favorites of italy was their wine bars. great local selections and cichetti (italian tapas).

enjoy!

:cheers:

• Like 1

If you want to avoid jet lag, sit as close to the front of the plane as possible. The back gets the least oxygen and that's what causes jet lag.

That's stupid. It's because the front gets there sooner.

Actually not as expensive as you'do think. Whole thing was like 6k.. booze not included though

Who asked?

There is an inoteca very close to the Trevi fountain that you should try to hit, if you are facing the fountain, turn about 100 degrees to your right and there is an alley, its on the left about a block up.....wont open until after 6pm, but the place is a local hangout and the people are magnificent....

• Like 1

Actually not as expensive as you'do think. Whole thing was like 6k.. booze not included though

Is that just flight and hotel? Cause when I go I plan on doing quite a bit of things such as winery tours

Umbria and Tuscany .....just perfect....... I once stayed in Orvieto for a few months, took the train in to Rome....my god that was a good time....

Is that just flight and hotel? Cause when I go I plan on doing quite a bit of things such as winery tours

They flights were $2400... cruise $1600... 3 nights of hotel was free with my ihg points. Probably another $1000 for tours... the Vatican, Chapel, Basilica, Acropolis, Templen of Jupiter, Tour of Santorini, Winery Tour. Maybe $250 for vehicle transfers.. so $5250 + spending cash and wine/ouzo money?

Anyone been to Rome and can recommend a good "local" eatery? I don't need a Gordon Ramsay's of Italy... more.. yummy mom and pop.

We're aspiring foodies and are pretty stoked about the food in Italy and Greece

A few weeks ago, I tried a Greek filo dessert called Galaktompoureko. Friggin incredible. Highly recommended.

We'll defiantly ask about it. Thanks.

I have been to many excellent restaurants throughout Europe at all levels..... couldn't give you a name for any of them. Browse some food message boards for regional recommendations.

I visit chowhound on occasion.

I have been to many excellent restaurants throughout Europe at all levels..... couldn't give you a name for any of them. Browse some food message boards for regional recommendations.

I visit chowhound on occasion.

Cool... thanks brother. :thumbsup:

Gonna get a little Rome head? :shocking:

I've been talking about Roman debauchery for a bit now hopefully as a workup. :lol: wish me luck!

Cool... thanks brother. :thumbsup:

Probably the best way is to ask locals.

:)

They flights were $2400... cruise $1600... 3 nights of hotel was free with my ihg points. Probably another $1000 for tours... the Vatican, Chapel, Basilica, Acropolis, Templen of Jupiter, Tour of Santorini, Winery Tour. Maybe $250 for vehicle transfers.. so $5250 + spending cash and wine/ouzo money?

That's not too bad. My wife and I won't be doing a cruise. Instead just staying at hotels in different cities such as Rome, Tuscany, Verona, Florence, Venice, etc. I'm like you, a big foodie so I want to check out some excellent places to eat. Would love to check out some good wineries there as well. Let me know what you find while you're there and what you'd recommend :thumbsup:

Probably the best way is to ask locals.

:)

Oh sure big dum American... just go down that dark alley like 2 blocks and you'll get what your needing. :mad:

haha...

We're "at sea" for the 4th of July. I'm already planning on finding other Merican's and just being drunken loud Merica loving fools that day in pool or playing shuffleboard. :)

I may wear my Super Americany t-shirt with the American flag spartan helmet I bought alast month when drunk. Mrs...beer is already not enthused.

Anyone been to Rome and can recommend a good "local" eatery? I don't need a Gordon Ramsay's of Italy... more.. yummy mom and pop.

We're aspiring foodies and are pretty stoked about the food in Italy and Greece

I've mentioned it here before, if not to you for this trip, but... Spirito de Vino on the outskirts of Rome (Trastevere) was one of the best dining experiences we ever had. Built on top of the oldest synagogue in Rome (which serves as its massive wine cellar), it is family owned/operated and committed to "slow eating."

http://www.ristorantespiritodivino.com/4/

Combined with a Greek cruise, that sounds like a focking awesome trip. :cheers:

We're "at sea" for the 4th of July. I'm already planning on finding other Merican's and just being drunken loud Merica loving fools that day in pool or playing shuffleboard. :)

I may wear my Super Americany t-shirt with the American flag spartan helmet I bought alast month when drunk. Mrs...beer is already not enthused.

I think a Trump "Make America Great Again" hat would be a perfect accessory for that outfit. :D

I've mentioned it here before, if not to you for this trip, but... Spirito de Vino on the outskirts of Rome (Trastevere) was one of the best dining experiences we ever had. Built on top of the oldest synagogue in Rome (which serves as its massive wine cellar), it is family owned/operated and committed to "slow eating."

that may be gold Jerry... how much the wife and I dropping for a nice meal?

What's the dress? Do we tip in Italy? :huh:

It's not bad. Euro to dollar are almost equal (1:1.1)

It's not bad. Euro to dollar are almost equal (1:1.1)

Ugh. I have to convert all my money back to dollars tomorrow, and of course, the RMB is at its lowest point since I've been here damn near. almost 7:1 last time I looked.

different tipping in italy. typically just round up a little on the bill (ie: 62 E... leave 65). I have not been to Greece.

...... Correct me if this has changed.

different tipping in italy. typically just round up a little on the bill (ie: 62 E... leave 65). I have not been to Greece.

...... Correct me if this has changed.

Cool... thanks.

Fockin A Jerry that place looks amazing. Remind me to consult you guys when I am getting ready for my trip over there

just did a little digging.....

"In most sit-down restaurants, especially the nicer ones which have no counter service, you may find both “il coperto” and “servizio incluso” written on the menu. “Il coperto” is the cover charge, which is generally one or two Euro, and which takes care of things like bread before the meal and a glass of tap water. “Servizio incluso” means that service is included, meaning they’ve already figured in a tip for you – it’s usually around 15% – so the total due on your final bill is all you’ll owe.

If you don’t see “servizio incluso” on the menu, you may still see some kind of automatic tip or cover charge on your bill, so just because you don’t see “servizio incluso” doesn’t mean you need to leave a tip. And even if you see “servizio non incluso” (service not included), you still shouldn’t feel compelled to leave a tip. Why not? It primarily has to do with the way restaurant workers are paid in Italy as opposed to, say, the U.S.

A waiter in Italy isn’t the underpaid part-time employee you might expect a waiter to be (and as they often are in the U.S.), so a tip isn’t making up the difference between their salary and a living wage. Instead, the waitstaff in Italy not only makes a living wage to begin with, they also get government health benefits and probably more paid vacation time than you do."

edit: i also recall different rates for coffee for whether you stand at the counter or sit at a table.

• Like 1