Sign in to follow this  
Kopy

oil changes

How often do you geeks change your oil? Anyone still subscribe to the every 3k rule?

5k or 6 mo for conventional. My 4runner calls for 10k with 0w20 synthetic. Its hard to have an oil related engine failure nowadays. You should hit 200k miles easy on most vehicles and the engine oil is usually the least of your worries.

When my car burns through its oil, i just add more, oil is changed doood....

• Like 1

I start to think about getting it done at around 5k, usually accomplish the feat around 6000-7500 miles. :lol:

• Like 1

Try to aim for around 3K as most of driving is city driving (does that even matter?) but usually ends up being closer to 4K.

5-6k straight conventional. Plenty safe with modern oils and engines.

This. They have both come a long way. Any API SN rated oil will get you to 5k. 3k is antiquated. 30 yrs ago, 100k was alot on an American car.

5k or 6 months. I've got a buddy that works at my Toyota dealership so he always gets me free servicing (different that the free servicing your mom gives me).

Does highway driving versus in town, stop and go driving matter anymore either?

If we do mostly in town miles, I get it done at 4k.

But if we go on trips and put highway mileage on it. I'll wait for 5k.

To all of you with newer cars or cars that have Variable valve timing, do it every 5k or less no matter what the manufacturer says.

For those of you who gave GDI (Gas direct injection) do it every 3-4k and make sure you use a fuel injection cleaner added to your gas tank at every oil change. We use Techron fuel system cleaner. Really helps.

For those of you with german vehicles, disregard the above rules since your car prolly burns through or leaks out all the oil way before the 4-5k intervals.

• Like 2

I love the convenience of some of the oil change places. But I hate the constant upsell. And, after having one place leave the damn washer out from the plug - and going damn near dry - it really grinds my gears. God, I was so fuucking hot that day. There are a couple guys are the grab some fairly large style wrenches. I think they were pretty sure I was going to beat the shiit out of their manager.

I love the convenience of some of the oil change places. But I hate the constant upsell. And, after having one place leave the damn washer out from the plug - and going damn near dry - it really grinds my gears. God, I was so fuucking hot that day. There are a couple guys are the grab some fairly large style wrenches. I think they were pretty sure I was going to beat the shiit out of their manager.

Upsell is the name of the game there. Oil changes alone don't pay the bills unless we're talking MASSIVE car counts.

I do 5k with a synthetic blend, which comes out to once every 6months or so. I don't put a lot of miles on my car living close to work.

That happened to a buddy of mine at jiffy lube once.

I always considered jiffy lube the McDonald's of oil change garages.

Upsell is the name of the game there. Oil changes alone don't pay the bills unless we're talking MASSIVE car counts.

The profit margins in oil changes have to be tiny. I mean, it's barely more expensive than doing it myself these days and they have to pay someone to do the actual work. It feels almost like the gas at a gas station. They don't make any money there but use it as a way to get you into the store.

• Like 1

When my car burns through its oil, i just add more, oil is changed doood....

I once had a car that leaked oil, shop told me $3k to replace this and that, I said fock it, drove it 50k miles (18 months) without an "oil change". Just checked the gas and filled the oil every time I stopped at a gas station. Never changed the filter either.

Eventually I got some other work done and the mechanic said the leak was coming from the filter cap and spraying the engine, replaced the cap for $100 parts and labor. Also changed the filter and added new oil.

No more oil leaks.

Lesson learned: always get a second opinion.

(0/40 full synthetic)

To all of you with newer cars or cars that have Variable valve timing, do it every 5k or less no matter what the manufacturer says.

For those of you who gave GDI (Gas direct injection) do it every 3-4k and make sure you use a fuel injection cleaner added to your gas tank at every oil change. We use Techron fuel system cleaner. Really helps.

For those of you with german vehicles, disregard the above rules since your car prolly burns through or leaks out all the oil way before the 4-5k intervals.

:lol:

True dat.

• Like 1

The profit margins in oil changes have to be tiny. I mean, it's barely more expensive than doing it myself these days and they have to pay someone to do the actual work. It feels almost like the gas at a gas station. They don't make any money there but use it as a way to get you into the store.

It is more expensive to do it myself.. I had nine done today and it was $22 at the shop

It is more expensive to do it myself.. I had nine done today and it was $22 at the shop

Damn,man. Nine for $22?

Did you have a coupon or something?

5K. 2005 minivan with 149K miles on it. I've had to change out only one coil, so the plan is working (knocks wood).

Have synthetic. They say 15k, I do it around 5k. I used to visit a car forum and that was recommended for my German.

Somewhere in the 3K-5K range.

When the oil indicator tells me to which is about every 8,000 to 9,000 miles. I use full synthetic.

It's such a rip off. I mean, these days they'll damn near give away the oil change. But it cost me almost $50 to have my blinker fluid replaced.

It's such a rip off. I mean, these days they'll damn near give away the oil change. But it cost me almost $50 to have my blinker fluid replaced.

Thats the most vital stuff though.