Sign in to follow this  
Giants Fan

Rivers, Rothlisberger, Eli

That's two for Eli and he is only 31 years old. So FOCK YOU and your Eli bashing, no Super Bowl Trophy, pathetic Eagle fan base.

Eli is 8-3 in the playoffs, won 5 road playoff games, has two Super Bowl Wins and two Super Bowl MVPs.

I'll ask the question again to the masses, would you rather have Rivers or Eli?

Rivers still

That's two for Eli and he is only 31 years old. So FOCK YOU and your Eli bashing, no Super Bowl Trophy, pathetic Eagle fan base.

Eli is 8-3 in the playoffs, won 5 road playoff games, has two Super Bowl Wins and two Super Bowl MVPs.

1. I may have been wrong about Rivers vs. Eli, but before this season almost NO ONE would have picked Manning. Obviously Rivers worst season as a starter and another Super Bowl win by Manning changes that discussion.

2. I still don't believe Eli is going to win 2 more Super Bowls.

3. Why so frigging hostile? Unclench and try to enjoy yourself Bub. :cheers:

1. I may have been wrong about Rivers vs. Eli, but before this season almost NO ONE would have picked Manning. Obviously Rivers worst season as a starter and another Super Bowl win by Manning changes that discussion.

3. Why so frigging hostile? Unclench and try to enjoy yourself Bub. :cheers:

1. Most Giants fans would have, we see every game and see the coolness under any circumstance. I'll admit, there were some bad ones, but as he matures, they are very few and very far between.

2. I think he'll get one more, and have 3 by the time he's about 34. I put the over / under at 3, meaning I'd much rather have the over than "sweat" out 4+ rings if I had the under.

3. I am, I am going to the parade. I was just pissed bcuz I used to work in Philly and remember all the Eagle fans saying Eli is a bust, the trade was stupid, etc. But I knew it wasn't. He took a crappy team like Ole Miss and made them competitive, they had nobody but him. He beat Florida in his senior year and won the cotton bowl.

If most Giants fans put Manning ahead of Rivers before this season, that's because they're Giants fans. Rivers held the edge in every statistical category and Eli was coming off a year when he threw more than 20 interceptions. Winning another Super Bowl changes the discussion, it doesn't mean I was being a hater.

Try to enjoy yourself. I won't be bickering with Giants fans if I ever get to see an Eagles Super Bowl win.

If most Giants fans put Manning ahead of Rivers before this season, that's because they're Giants fans. Rivers held the edge in every statistical category and Eli was coming off a year when he threw more than 20 interceptions. Winning another Super Bowl changes the discussion, it doesn't mean I was being a hater.

Try to enjoy yourself. I won't be bickering with Giants fans if I ever get to see an Eagles Super Bowl win.

True that. I actually am not an Eagle hater, and some fans are actually good fans. I just hate some of their fans, especially after they diss on Eli for no apparent reason (not saying you did, that was your opinion before this year and most non Giants fans would have agreed). But those cocky Eagle fans who were so dissing on Eli when the Giants were bad in 2004 and saying he was a bust with no merit.

Part of me actually does want to see an Eagle or Jet fan experience a Super Bowl win, because we have many in the area that I am friends with.

This is turning into a love fest. Coughlin is rubbing off on me!

But those cocky Eagle fans who were so dissing on Eli when the Giants were bad in 2004 and saying he was a bust with no merit.

this is not a complete sentence, but it could easily describe about half of the giants fanbase before this season.

Eli has in one season changed this equation complete. With his success and Roethlisberger's, it's hard to argue with the idea that if that wasn't the best QB draft ever, it's pretty damned close. Rivers is now the anchor dragging down the class and needs to step it up a bit. It should also be added that Matt Schaub was also in that draft class. Additionally, let us also not forget the immortal JP Lossman.

Eli has in one season changed this equation complete. With his success and Roethlisberger's, it's hard to argue with the idea that if that wasn't the best QB draft ever, it's pretty damned close. Rivers is now the anchor dragging down the class and needs to step it up a bit. It should also be added that Matt Schaub was also in that draft class. Additionally, let us also not forget the immortal JP Lossman.

I'm still going to have to argue for the class of 83.

I don't see Rivers, Eli, or Ben breaking almost every passing record like Marino did.

Jim Kelly lost several years to the USFL and took the HORRENDOUS Buffalo Bills to 4 straight Super Bowls. (Eli, Ben, and Rivers joined some pretty good teams with recent success especially in Ben's case)

Elway led the Broncos to 5 Super Bowl appearances and won the last two.

Just counting Marino, Kelly, and Elway you have 9 Super Bowl appearances and a player who set almost every passing record. Keep in mind those Super Bowl appearances were competing against each other in the same Conference too so it wasn't like they were racking up multiple SB appearances against each other.

I'm still going to have to argue for the class of 83.

I don't see Rivers, Eli, or Ben breaking almost every passing record like Marino did.

Jim Kelly lost several years to the USFL and took the HORRENDOUS Buffalo Bills to 4 straight Super Bowls. (Eli, Ben, and Rivers joined some pretty good teams with recent success especially in Ben's case)

Elway led the Broncos to 5 Super Bowl appearances and won the last two.

Just counting Marino, Kelly, and Elway you have 9 Super Bowl appearances and a player who set almost every passing record. Keep in mind those Super Bowl appearances were competing against each other in the same Conference too so it wasn't like they were racking up multiple SB appearances against each other.

I'm not goint to disagree, however, bear in mind that there are currently 5 Superbowl appearances between just Ben and Eli, with 4 wins, which is twice as many wins at the three guys you have combined. I'll give you Ben going to a good team, but NY Giants and SD Chargers were drafting top 3 for a reason. And all of the guys from this draft class still likely have at least another 5 years each. And all of them, maybe with the exception of Rivers, have teams that could be looking at SB appearances again next year. I'm not saying they're there yet, but they're on track to be in the discussion.

NY Giants and SD Chargers were drafting top 3 for a reason?

Giants haven't had a top 3 first round draft pick since I was a fan (1985). Rivers went 4th. Remember, they didn't draft Eli, they traded for him.

Also, I think they tanked the last 6 games in 2003 with the idea that they were gonna get Eli in the next draft. They were out of the playoffs, mathematically, by week 10. Why not tank?

I'm pretty sure, before Eli/Rivers ... the last time the Giants drafted a QB in the first round, was Phil Simms (7th overall, and was booed by local fans). Lead that team to 2 Super Bowl victories.

YES! And it counts!

Nor do I.

If he does, it will once again be due to Eli doing a slightly above average job managing a very solid and well balanced team - not due to any massive personal physical achievement on his part, besides perhaps, not losing his cool. When you watched that SuperBowl, if you managed to stay awake, you would know that there was such a balanced performance from the Giants that there was no one else to pick as MVP. Once again, the Giants managed to catch lightning in a bottle at the end of the season, and Eli didn't screw it up, not excluding that they match-up well against the dink-dunk crap of the Patriots.

From a fan's perspective - THANK YOU GOD that the Patriots got beat again. Can that style of play be forever outlawed from the world !?

Personally, though from Canada, I like the Pack. The Pack has the best quarterback in the League, probably beyond debate. Recently, the best quarterback in the League tried to beat the Giants, but his team $hit the bed while a very balanced Giants team did not screw it up - again, including Eli, making the plays he needed to...while the run game and defense and dropped balls did the rest.

Ben is another above-average quarterback who has managed to play for very solid teams with great coaching and solid, if not mostly brilliant defense. Good on you, ###### LeBeau.

This is why it's a team game, with team accomplishments. Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl, kids.

In terms of pure physical aptitude, there is about 10 guys I take before Eli if I am drafting a real or Fantasy team.

Not screwing up a great team does not greatness make.

This is not even mentioning the ridiculous parity that infects the NFL such that barring two terrible plays by a certain Mr. Williams, and the Giants are an afterthought this year.

Lastly, while we are digressing, I will open up this can of worms...if either the Ravens or Niners or both make that SuperBowl, I am vastly more interested in it, and I wishfully delude myself into thinking it's a vastly superior game than what we had. The average non-affiliated fan would probably agree that the out-and-out bullcrap luck (and likely, some officiating bias) of the Giants and Pats making it there undermined the emotional interest of the real football fan. But that's not who the NFL cares about, is it now?

this is not a complete sentence, but it could easily describe about half of the giants fanbase before this season.

I am sorry that I didn't write a complete sentence on a fantasy football website. Wow, grammar police are everywhere.

Nobody thought of him as a bust before this year, I mean he did have 1 ring before the year started, 2 consecutive 4000 yard seasons, and 31 TDs last year. He also never had a losing season as a starter. So how is that a bust? Did Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith have that under their belt?

This is why it's a team game, with team accomplishments. Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl, kids.

In terms of pure physical aptitude, there is about 10 guys I take before Eli if I am drafting a real or Fantasy team.

Not screwing up a great team does not greatness make.

Yes Trent Dilfer did win one Super Bowl. He won one, with arguably one of the best defenses we've seen in a long time. The Giants Defense this year was ranked what, 29th in the league?

Dilfer also never trhrew for more than 3000 yards in a season. Eli has thrown for 3000 yards every year he has been a starter, and 4000 yards the last three, narrowly missing 5000 yards this year. Dilfer also had more career INTs than TDs. Eli also averages 26 TDs a year and Dilfer never threw more than 21 TD passes, which he did only twice in a season.

To compare the two is assinine. Eli also has the most road playoff wins (5) of any QB, he has beat Favre and Rodgers at Green Bay in the playoffs, and Tom Brady twice. He also broke a record with 15 4th quarter TD passes and has numerous 4th quarter comebacks this year, and in years prior. He also has two SB MVPs.

Oh and the Giants rushing game was last in the league this year, so saying they had a vaunted defense and rushing game which got them the championship is just plain stupid.

Just to play devils advocate ....

But that TEAM has been built around Eli. For a long time in NY it's been Thunder and Lightning (since I have been a fan). That's why I laugh at the Brandon Jacobs haters. Defenses need to game plan for him. He may not put up big fantasy numbers, but he is an excellent pass blocker.

And to say that the Giants front 4 is not a pass rush threat (again, need to game plan for that) ... once you start to force other teams to have to game plan for Jacobs/Bradshaw and the pass rush, BOOM Eli is deep to Cruz. Cover Cruz, Eli has other very talented targets, and depth. Eli can throw it to Pascoe or Manninham ... you just can't cover it all.

So ... it's a copycat league. The days of Thunder and Lightning in New York may be numbered. This pass game has eveolved into something special. Eli is CLUTCH ... no doubt about it ... but it's because of the surrounding cast ... not because he is a phenomenal athletic specimen.

BTW, I think they re-sign Jacobs and draft Polk. The RBs are all fully capable receivers. If they lose Jacobs ... I can see Hillis in NY.

Rivers, the SD franchise is run horribly by the lord of no rings... He has an eye for talent but is terrible at player and team management. Rivers with Manningham, Cruz, and Nicks would be fun to watch. Jackson is overrated and Gates hasn't been 100% for like three years now, I don't even know if he's a top five real life tight end. I'm pretty sure if Rivers was QB'ing the SB win instead of Manning the Giants would score more than 21 points on that godawful Pats defense. How many chances did Eli get in the first half to bury the hatchet, and how many times did he come up short. Think the Giants had like 22 minutes of possession in the first half or some ridiculous number and came up with seven points on offense.

The real super bowl MVP was Nicks for making some ridiculous catches on overthrown balls, or Manningham for that incredulous catch to pretty much ice the game.

Just to play devils advocate ....

But that TEAM has been built around Eli. For a long time in NY it's been Thunder and Lightning (since I have been a fan). That's why I laugh at the Brandon Jacobs haters. Defenses need to game plan for him. He may not put up big fantasy numbers, but he is an excellent pass blocker.

And to say that the Giants front 4 is not a pass rush threat (again, need to game plan for that) ... once you start to force other teams to have to game plan for Jacobs/Bradshaw and the pass rush, BOOM Eli is deep to Cruz. Cover Cruz, Eli has other very talented targets, and depth. Eli can throw it to Pascoe or Manninham ... you just can't cover it all.

So ... it's a copycat league. The days of Thunder and Lightning in New York may be numbered. This pass game has eveolved into something special. Manningham is CLUTCH ... no doubt about it ... but it's because of the surrounding cast ... not because he is a phenomenal athletic specimen.

BTW, I think they re-sign Jacobs and draft Polk. The RBs are all fully capable receivers. If they lose Jacobs ... I can see Hillis in NY.

See what I did there.

Your splitting hairs here. Put Rivers on the Giants or Steelers and he has two rings. Hell, maybe the winning QB in SB XL actually has a decent game.

Rivers has had some nice talent but he's played for two of the most choke-ass win nothing head coaches in the history of the league. He's still easily the best QB without a ring.

All three teams were lucky to be drafting where they were and having a quarterback need that year.

Your splitting hairs here. Put Rivers on the Giants or Steelers and he has two rings. Hell, maybe the winning QB in SB XL actually has a decent game.

Rivers has had some nice talent but he's played for two of the most choke-ass win nothing head coaches in the history of the league. He's still easily the best QB without a ring.

All three teams were lucky to be drafting where they were and having a quarterback need that year.

Let it go Joey. Roethlisberger isn't the first or only QB to have a sub-par game in the SB and still win. Willie Parker has been out of the league for 2 years but the Seattle Defense still hasn't caught him...

Nice bump.

Giants haven't had a top 3 first round draft pick since I was a fan (1985).

Before you became a Seahags fan, senoir phayleybear? :ninja:

Nor do I.

If he does, it will once again be due to Eli doing a slightly above average job managing a very solid and well balanced team - not due to any massive personal physical achievement on his part, besides perhaps, not losing his cool. When you watched that SuperBowl, if you managed to stay awake, you would know that there was such a balanced performance from the Giants that there was no one else to pick as MVP. Once again, the Giants managed to catch lightning in a bottle at the end of the season, and Eli didn't screw it up, not excluding that they match-up well against the dink-dunk crap of the Patriots.

Let's be real real here. While I'm not willing to call Eli the GOAT or anything crazy, you can't deny the season the guy had. One of, what, four 5000+ yard seasons, and breaks the 4th quarter comeback record?

That team doesn't even make the playoffs except for his cluchness.

And impressively, he has cut the turnovers way down. He also showed he is a tough SOB against the 9ers.

I think he is elite and will be going forward.

Let it go Joey. Roethlisberger isn't the first or only QB to have a sub-par game in the SB and still win. Willie Parker has been out of the league for 2 years but the Seattle Defense still hasn't caught him...

Don't you have a Pat bashing thread to create? How about a Cowboys bashing thread?

Before you became a Seahags fan, senoir phayleybear? :ninja:

Let's be real real here. While I'm not willing to call Eli the GOAT or anything crazy, you can't deny the season the guy had. One of, what, four 5000+ yard seasons, and breaks the 4th quarter comeback record?

That team doesn't even make the playoffs except for his cluchness.

And impressively, he has cut the turnovers way down. He also showed he is a tough SOB against the 9ers.

I think he is elite and will be going forward.

I agree and I was trying to make that point throughout this thread. Last year when Eli only had 1 ring and was coming off a 25 INT season, I can see why people doubted (although he did have 31 TDs and 4000 yards).

If you do not think he is Elite and belongs right up there with Rivers and Roethlisberger, then I think you are in denial or an Eli hater.

I think you also should put this class with the 1983 class. They have 4 rings (and counting) plus 5 super bowl appearances and they still have about 7 years each to play.

I would rather have Eli at Qb for my team, over the other two. It's really not even close.

How's it not even close? Regardless of your preference to say the three aren't even close is a little ridiculous.

How's it not even close? Regardless of your preference to say the three aren't even close is a little ridiculous.

Not at all. If I was forced to choose one for my team right now, it wouldn't be close. It would be Eli.

Not at all. If I was forced to choose one for my team right now, it wouldn't be close. It would be Eli.

ok you meant your decision wouldn't even been close. My bad.

Don't you have a Pat bashing thread to create? How about a Cowboys bashing thread?

Hey, I'm not the one still whining about something that really didn't even happen about 6 years ago.

Hey, I'm not the one still whining about something that really didn't even happen about 6 years ago.

Wait, so Roethlisberger didn't post a 22.6 QB rating in Superbowl XL?

6' 4" and 290 pounds.

Good lord. You wonder which it is..a QB that just let himself go, or a lineman that has freakish throwing abilities.

A win is a win he was the reason they swept they playoffs that year look up the stats. They won by passing vs. CINDY INDY AND DENVER ALL ON ROAD

He was also extremely raw and young in only his 2nd season. I will take that and a win over a loss and a great qb rating any day.

Qb rating...oh the horror. Is there any more random stat in the nfl?

Why no mention of game winning TD in closing seconds vs. Arizona?

A win is a win he was the reason they swept they playoffs that year look up the stats. They won by passing vs. CINDY INDY AND DENVER ALL ON ROAD

He was also extremely raw and young in only his 2nd season. I will take that and a win over a loss and a great qb rating any day.

Qb rating...oh the horror. Is there any more random stat in the nfl?

Why no mention of game winning TD in closing seconds vs. Arizona?

Now who's following who?

Last time I checked, this thread was about Rivers, Rapistberger and Eli. I merely mentioned how crappy Rapistburger played in that game. Stay on topic gentlemen. :wave:

Good lord. You wonder which it is..a QB that just let himself go, or a lineman that has freakish throwing abilities.

He had a lazer arm too. Elwayesque. Fans loved him .... particularly after Dave Brown and Danny Kannel.

They call him "J-Load" for a reason.

no, he did...and still won! :overhead:

no, he did...and still won! :overhead:

I never said he didn't. I merely stated he did absolutely nothing. If you inferred anything else from that post then I don't know what to tell ya.

I never said he didn't. I merely stated he did absolutely nothing. If you inferred anything else from that post then I don't know what to tell ya.

won the superbowl in only 2nd year and carried them in the playoffs that year. Btw he did enough to win that superbowl key play here and there

And then won another superbowl game on a legendary game winning drive and td

Lost a superbowl by one score

Yep he sucks.

Getting to 3 superbowls is elite stuff no matter what spin you use

won the superbowl in only 2nd year and carried them in the playoffs that year. Btw he did enough to win that superbowl key play here and there

And then won another superbowl game on a legendary game winning drive and td

Lost a superbowl by one score

Yep he sucks.

Getting to 3 superbowls is elite stuff no matter what spin you use

Sweet Christ you girls are sensitive. State a fact, like Ben Rapistburger sucked ass in Superbowl XL, and they come riding in on their white horses waving their black and gold pom poms.

Dont you guys have some convoluted Belllichick bashing thread to create? Maybe an accused rapist to defend?

I focking :wub: you guys! :lol:

Sweet Christ you girls are sensitive. State a fact, like Ben Rapistburger sucked ass in Superbowl XL, and they come riding in on their white horses waving their black and gold pom poms.

Dont you guys have some convoluted Belllichick bashing thread to create? Maybe an accused rapist to defend?

I focking :wub: you guys! :lol:

Its Bill I Cheat

Pronounce it right