Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Jordy Nelson

What do you think of him this season? It's an odd numbered year.... This guy has the craziest history of injuries in odd numbered years. Do you think that continues? I have seen many people, like myself, who think there is something to this weird outlier with Nelson. Weepaws was the only person I recall on this board last year who believed he would be a top WR. Weepaws was correct. Tons of us, including myself, were way off. I didn't think he would be more than a low end WR2 coming back from injury. Now I can't tell if I'm doubting him because I was wrong last season about him, or because his odd numbered years really are odd.

I guess I'd take his 2011 numbers if you are worried about odd years.

I like Jordy. He is tied to the best QB in the game and a team that doesn't really have a great power run game to pound it in inside the 10. They trust Rodgers to throw to his WRs in that area and Jordy is great working in that space. At his current ADP of WR8 he is fairly priced. I'd rather have him than Evans because DJax will take some prime deep routes and Green playing with a shaky line and a QB that isn't good playing against a pass rush.

Outside of injuries that you can't predict I don't know of many other players where you can safely assume top 12 numbers and the ability to get to #1 overall at the position.

What do you think of him this season? It's an odd numbered year.... This guy has the craziest history of injuries in odd numbered years. Do you think that continues? I have seen many people, like myself, who think there is something to this weird outlier with Nelson. Weepaws was the only person I recall on this board last year who believed he would be a top WR. Weepaws was correct. Tons of us, including myself, were way off. I didn't think he would be more than a low end WR2 coming back from injury. Now I can't tell if I'm doubting him because I was wrong last season about him, or because his odd numbered years really are odd.

I thought he would be good, but not until late in the season. I figured he didnt have enough time to fully recover from the injury to be effective early in the year.

to some extent I was right. he wasnt creating a ton of separation in the first 3-4 games, but (from what I saw) what he lacked in that area he made up for in fighting for the football. To me, this bodes well for his production as he gets older (and slower).

either way, once those first few games were over with, he ran and made cuts with more and more confidence as the year went on. by year end, he was his old self again.

I think this will be a good year.

Agree it took him a few games to get comfortable and once he did he took flight.

I don't see a drop off, the Packers did not chase after any WRs this off season so I don't seehis targets dropping off, and his TD total should go over ten plus once again and his speed is still there.

If you think Rodgers can get close to repeating last season he should be good to go.

I believe he's certainly got top 5 potential again this season.

The thing about him is he's not getting any younger and he's had quite a few injuries. It's going to catch up to him before too long.

He's a speed and finesse guy mainly and when guys like that lose a portion of a step they usually fall off a cliff.

I believe he's still going to be pretty effective this season but won't quite put up the numbers he did last season. He will still be a WR1 though.

The risk, however with him is rapidly increasing. At this point it can't be much of a surprise when he flounders.

I believe he's certainly got top 5 potential again this season.

The thing about him is he's not getting any younger and he's had quite a few injuries. It's going to catch up to him before too long.

He's a speed and finesse guy mainly and when guys like that lose a portion of a step they usually fall off a cliff.

I believe he's still going to be pretty effective this season but won't quite put up the numbers he did last season. He will still be a WR1 though.

The risk, however with him is rapidly increasing. At this point it can't be much of a surprise when he flounders.

He is also a possession receiver.

those first 4-5 games he was creating no separation, but outmuscling DB's to get to the ball like a possession receiver should. He is not just a finesse guy.

the first 2 games back, I made a point of watching him, and he had the DB all over him and still made the catch.

and believe me, his route running and speed seemed sub par. Personally, I think they brought him back a bit earlier than they should have cuz 6 weeks later he was a completely different WR. he was creating separation and had much more speed and his cuts were sharper and better.

but he was able to get it done in those first couple games where he was a step or two slower. It's just the way he did it was different. He will be able to play even after he loses another step or two. It's mostly a question of whether he wants to.

Helps having a QB named Aaron Rodgers throwing you the football.

I don't know, once he loses a step and everyone knows it, no chance of getting left in the dust, I think he will struggle more.

Part of it is he will fall down the list of targets for Aaron Rodgers.

The biggest thing for Jordy this year is TDs. Will he be able to put up that many TDs again this year? Most likely not.

Depends on how many tds Rodgers passes for.

Nelson should be able to reach double digits in TD rec once again if Rodgers has his normal output of TD passes.

Packers didn't do anything to change their wr roster, unless you think Cobb will steal some from him I think he's a safe bet for ten plus TD rec.

They did say they were going to try and get the ball to Cobb more this year

Don't know if it means less targets for Nelson though

I was wondering if the loss of Lang, combined with a healthier Cobb, may hurt him some. His every-other-year injury issues is scary too. My problem with Jordy is I had him in one of the years he was injured and I'm gun shy with him now. That only hurts me. When I am on the clock though, and he's there, I find an excuse to pass him up. Last season, he would have made the difference between barely missing the playoffs and a likely title run. I was only short at WR and passed on Jordy (trade offer) when the season first began. I could have had him for the low cost of a first rounder in the rookie draft, which is nothing because we also have a college draft each Fall, so our rookie draft is missing 60% of the players already in a normal rookie draft for a dynasty league.

They did say they were going to try and get the ball to Cobb more this year

Don't know if it means less targets for Nelson though

They always say they will try to get Cobb the ball a bit more.

This year is no different from any other.

If Jared Cook had stayed healthy the whole year, the arrival of Martellus Bennett would be a wash. But Bennett will probably get more targets than Richard Rodgers as the TE1 would have. That doesn't necessarily have to detract from Jordy - Martellus might help spread the defense.

Earlier this summer Jordy was available regularly in MFL10's at the tail end of the 2nd round. Lately he's going near the beginning of it...sometimes the tail end of the 1st. His ADP I feel will settle around there as you get into the 2nd tier WR's

They are going to pass the ball to Cobb so often, that they won't stop doing so until he throws up.

I'm not buying into that coach speak, if the Packers thought this Nelson was in a decline mode they would have addressed the situation during this past draft or sign a free agent.

2011 Nelson ranked 4th for wr in ppr

2012 he ranked 38th for wr in ppr

2013 he ranked 13th for wr in ppr, also Rodgers only played in nine games that season.

2014 he was ranked 3rd in ppr

2016 he was ranked 2nd in ppr.

In four of those five seasons he was a Wr1, I'm counting his 13th place finshed in 2013 as a wr1 because Rodgers only played in nine games.

I can't see him being ranked less than a top five wr in a ppr league.

They are going to pass the ball to Cobb so often, that they won't stop doing so until he throws up.

I'm not buying into that coach speak, if the Packers thought this Nelson was in a decline mode they would have addressed the situation during this past draft or sign a free agent.

2011 Nelson ranked 4th for wr in ppr

2012 he ranked 38th for wr in ppr

2013 he ranked 13th for wr in ppr, also Rodgers only played in nine games that season.

2014 he was ranked 3rd in ppr

2016 he was ranked 2nd in ppr.

In four of those five seasons he was a Wr1, I'm counting his 13th place finshed in 2013 as a wr1 because Rodgers only played in nine games.

I can't see him being ranked less than a top five wr in a ppr league.

Yeah, The only way Jordy isnt top 10 this year is if he gets hurt or suspended.

I'm expecting a big year.

The ACL injury may shorten his career by a year or so at the end, but we are not at that point. That's the sort of thing you worry about when you get there.

Randall Cobb was on pace to roughly match the previous two seasons of targets last year.

Through the first 11 games (he missed the game against Atlanta Week 8), he had 77 targets.

I can only hope people stay down on him. He's a fantastic buy right now. Cobb is also being drafted in the 7th round whereas Adams and Nelson are going in the top 35. That doesn't even include the discrepancy among Cobb's and Nelson's Adjusted Air Yards/Target over the last three seasons compared to Adams'. Not to mention Adams' insane touchdown rate last year that is nearly impossible to sustain.

If there's a Packers receiver I'm NOT buying this season, it's not Cobb. It's Adams.

Yeah Cobbs value is better than Adams.

No reason to doubt Jordy. He already proved he can excel while not being his true self.

I think this is where the majority of people are at with this guy. Everyone who's not onboard will undoubtedly not end up with Jordy on their team.