Sign in to follow this  
shorepatrol

Sleep apnea.

So if you snore you have it?

Not neccessarily. Light snoring is ok.

Every try to suck a thick milkshake thru a straw and it collapses the straw. Thats what happens when you have apnea. Symptoms are a bad headache from increased co2 and waking up to wizz alot....kicking legs..aka restless leg etc. Fitbits can monitor wakefulness when sleeping based on heartrate.

Thats what I use. My machine is pretty much silent too.

Not gonna lie though. I absolutely hated it at first. I had a hard time going to sleep and would take it off when I woke up in the middle of the night. Now I sleep through the night, with no problems at all. Which is funny, because I used to wake up needing to piss 2-3 times a night. But Ive now learned thats also a sign of sleep apnea.

Huh, I usually wake up at least once to piss. I attributed it to a 51 yr old prostate and drinking too much. :dunno:

So if you snore you have it?

I do sleep studies for a major trucking company. I've done around 500 for them. 8 guys walked out not diagnosed with sleep apnea.

Not my specialty, but I dont think the machines can diagnose OSA yet. Auto adjusting pressure aint enough.

You still need to have a diagnostic sleep study (Mostly in home studies now) The autoset machines save you from the titration sleep study.

It was in 1990 that I 1st woke up and realized I wasn't breathing.......oh well.

It was in 1990 that I 1st woke up and realized I wasn't breathing.......oh well.

And 28 years later youre still a pretty high functioning tard. Good on you little rus.

And 28 years later youre still a pretty high functioning tard. Good on you little rus.

:lol:

:headbanger:

You still need to have a diagnostic sleep study (Mostly in home studies now) The autoset machines save you from the titration sleep study.

I thought as much. But its great that most of this stuff can be done at home now, as sleep study appointments in the lab are always booked out months in advance.

Sleep medicine was kind of a racket years ago, with high reimbursement for little effort. Many docs were getting certified for an easy buck. I bet they're not happy the studies are being shifted to the home.

Got results over the weekend for at-home sleep study, was thinking I would be told mild obstructed sleep apnea, but study indicates severe, 45 API number. Auto-adjusting CPAP in my future.

I can't remember what it's like to not feel this way, so it should be interesting to see what it's like to actually sleep well.

Is it just me or are most people with sleep apnea fatties and smokers?

Got results over the weekend for at-home sleep study, was thinking I would be told mild obstructed sleep apnea, but study indicates severe, 45 API number. Auto-adjusting CPAP in my future.

I can't remember what it's like to not feel this way, so it should be interesting to see what it's like to actually sleep well.

Wow... good luck, I hope everything works out. :cheers:

• Like 1

Most people are at least one of those anyway.

I clearly have it. But I rarely sleep. Besides, they say you can die in your sleep because of it. I would pay extra to die in my sleep.

Most probably are, but there are many that don't smoke and are not overweight...

I'm actually a fairly skinny ex-smoker(going on 8 years)

I want to go ask one of those 'doctors' how many people they've examined don't have sleep apnea?

2 people mentioned to me in the last year, that I was having breathing issues when i sleep, so that in conjunction with the machine saying my breathing is stopping on average 45 times an hour while sleeping would seem to indicate it's real(though I guess they could just make up any numbers)

I clearly have it. But I rarely sleep. Besides, they say you can die in your sleep because of it. I would ###### pay extra to die in my sleep.

I kept joking that what's the big deal---so I stop breathing, long as I start again who cares...it's all good.

I'm about 20-25 pounds over weight (non-smoker) and it's definitely worse when I'm heavier. That's obviously a no brainer because apnea is generally caused by excess soft tissue of the mouth and throat. There are other facts that cause it though. Enlarged tonsils or adenoids, dental conditions like over/under bites, medications, etc.

I thought you quit?

I did - two years no cigs on Wednesday. Stopped snoring the day I stopped smoking.

I want to go ask one of those 'doctors' how many people they've examined don't have sleep apnea?

Well, most people have one or more risk factors - obesity, male gender, family history, etc. And people who seek doctors tend to be sicker than those who don't. Plus docs don't recommend sleep studies willy-nilly.

All that adds up to a high pretest probability the test will be positive. Doesn't make the studies invalid, or imply there's a CPAP conspiracy.

Data previously published in the American Journal of Epidemiology show that the estimated prevalence rates of obstructive sleep apnea have increased substantially over the last two decades, most likely due to the obesity epidemic. It is now estimated that 26 percent of adults between the ages of 30 and 70 years have sleep apnea.

Given all that, what do you think about those 'doctors' and their so-called 'sleep studies'?

I did - two years no cigs on Wednesday. Stopped snoring the day I stopped smoking.

That was a joke based on the wording of your post...I was implying you are a smoking fatty.

Anyhoo, you're right. Obesity and smoking are associated with increased risk of sleep apnea, but you can have it independent of those factors.

I think those sleep studies never tell anyone , "no problem,you're good"

I think those sleep studies never tell anyone , "no problem,you're good"

I know of at least ten people that have had the study and were told they are fine...

I know of at least ten people that have had the study and were told they are fine...

I love you

How do you know so many people's sleep study results?

Because he's lying? He gets very excited when I post.

Its nice waking up fully rested without a pounding headache from low O2 levels

• Like 1

Because he's lying? He gets very excited when I post.

Well, I can assure you I've seen negative sleep studies. Read my post above to understand why the test is likely to be positive in those for whom it is recommended.

I'm actually a fairly skinny ex-smoker(going on 8 years)

2 people mentioned to me in the last year, that I was having breathing issues when i sleep, so that in conjunction with the machine saying my breathing is stopping on average 45 times an hour while sleeping would seem to indicate it's real(though I guess they could just make up any numbers)

I kept joking that what's the big deal---so I stop breathing, long as I start again who cares...it's all good.

Ask Reggie White

How do you know so many people's sleep study results?

People discuss things...

Sad thing is...govt removed profit from apnea equipment and oxygen.

Used to have great service...now its a pain...all the companies folded but one.

Hows it going? Got me own sleep study results today, so joining the crowd.