Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Chicago Dog Sauce

Just in time for summer, Heinz is introducing Chicago dog sauce - and it's quite popular in its namesake city.

It's a special blend of tomatoes and seasonings that complements the flavor of the dog.

Chicagoans - as we all know - are purists about not allowing - gasp - ketchup - to ruin the culinary integrity of meat of indeterminate provenance shoved into tube form.

These are the same people who have no problem - in fact celebrate - the idea of preternaturally neon green ''relish" on their meat tubes, but ketchup? Oh hell no.

Enter - Chicago Dog Sauce - and it's a hit in Chicago!

And, it is also - ketchup.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2017/07/19/heinzs-new-chicago-dog-sauce-just-ketchup/491928001/

any kind of ketchup on dogs. You allow crank in your face multiple times a day if you use it on dogs. And relish kicks ass

Ketchup on a hot dog is just focked up. Those people are missing a chromosome or something.

Ketchup on a hotdog is crazy. That said those Chicago hot dogs with all that crap on them are waaaaaaaaaaaaay over rated.

I don't understand the dislike of ketchup on a hot dog... What is so bad about it?

I don't understand the dislike of ketchup on a hot dog... What is so bad about it?

It's perfectly fine but it's become an internet meme and common practice to condemn it.

Yeah I don't get the hate either. I'd rather have mustard or chili sauce but ketchup is fine too

My personal gripe is that I do not like ketchup on anything. It masks the flavor of whatever it's on more than compliments it.

Sometime over the last 10 years or so it became common practice to denounce ketchup on hot dogs. This is interesting for a few reasons, lets dig deeper...Growing up, it was just normal to put ketchup and/or mustard on dogs. Furthermore, google pictures of hot dogs or think of hot dog imagery. You will see Ketchup is extremely common. I could even argue it's strange to NOT put ketchup on a dog based on its common depiction if I were seeing them for the first time and doing research.

But here we are, mention ketchup on a dog on the internet and you will get burned at the stake like it's some uncommon and unholy practice. This is placebo from the negative attention it's gained online. I even fall victim to it, as I enjoy ketchup but tell my wife all the time "only mustard" is acceptable on hot dogs. This is my deep seeded desire to conform and do as I feel has been deemed "right".

It's perfectly fine but it's become an internet meme and common practice to condemn it.

Yep. Just like Nickelback.

Yep. Just like Nickelback.

Ha, I had an entire Nickelback tangent typed out but deleted it. It's exactly like that.

I put this up there with Philadelphians getting all pissy when you put mayo on a steak and cheese...

It's not just a chicago thing either. New Yorkers have historically been uber uppity about only mustard (onions or sauerkraut okay too) on dogs.

Basically, it's deemed that Ketchup is great - if you're a child.

I'm not a fan. If I'm going sweet-ish, I'd rather go with a sweet/spicy bbq sauce and hot pickles.

Best use of Ketchup is on top of a meatloaf, let it carmelize and form a crust.

Still, I'd rather go BBQ on that as well.

Just not that gross flavorless tomato sauce.

I love hot dogs but can't stand Chicago style. Chili onion and cheese.

I've had a few chicago dogs that literally had a full quarter of a (flavorless hydopod) tomato.

I mean, how the fock do I eat that? Hell, you get smaller chunks in a salad.

Sometime over the last 10 years or so it became common practice to denounce ketchup on hot dogs. This is interesting for a few reasons, lets dig deeper...Growing up, it was just normal to put ketchup and/or mustard on dogs. Furthermore, google pictures of hot dogs or think of hot dog imagery. You will see Ketchup is extremely common. I could even argue it's strange to NOT put ketchup on a dog based on its common depiction if I were seeing them for the first time and doing research.

But here we are, mention ketchup on a dog on the internet and you will get burned at the stake like it's some uncommon and unholy practice. This is placebo from the negative attention it's gained online. I even fall victim to it, as I enjoy ketchup but tell my wife all the time "only mustard" is acceptable on hot dogs. This is my deep seeded desire to conform and do as I feel has been deemed "right".

I was not aware of the ketchup condemnation, but it sounds pretty silly. Also, I don't think you know what a placebo is.

I was not aware of the ketchup condemnation, but it sounds pretty silly. Also, I don't think you know what a placebo is.

I know very well what a placebo is regardless of how I used it in that post. I meant influence.

Silly to have a stupid condiment on a hot dog? I don't see the silliness

I eat ketchup on nothing besides French Fries and maybe onion rings.

I like a couple different spicy mustard on hot dogs once in a while. Others things may include, but not all at once....texas hot sauce, diced onions, diced jalapenos, kraut relish, cooked peppers and onions. Actual "chili"? I'm not opposed, but maybe I never had the chili that in parts is meant for a hot dog, so I don't know.

Hamburger it is mustard among other items. Or a blue cheese bacon burger sort of a deal.

I always put ketchup on my hot dogs. Mustard sucks ass.

Ketchup on a hot dog is just focked up. Those people are missing a chromosome or something.

:lol:

I like my hotdog with yellow mustard, chopped onion, chili and slaw.

With that said I don't get the dislike of ketchup on a hotdog either.

A hotdog is more like a bun with yummy condiments. The dog is just a filler.

A brat is a different story.

:dunno:

I like my hotdog with yellow mustard, chopped onion, chili and slaw.

With that said I don't get the dislike of ketchup on a hotdog either.

A hotdog is more like a bun with yummy condiments. The dog is just a filler.

A brat is a different story.

:dunno:

The bolded is true.

But slaw and chili sounds like an express ticket to bowl-town.

Hot dogs are a type of sausage. Mustard goes better with sausage.

Ketchup is for burgers and/or fries.