Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

Another one bites the dust: Chris Borland done

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12496480/san-francisco-49ers-linebacker-chris-borland-retires-head-injury-concerns

San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland, one of the NFL's top rookies last season, told "Outside the Lines" on Monday that he is retiring because of concerns about the long-term effects of repetitive head trauma.

Borland, 24, said he notified the 49ers on Friday. He said he made his decision after consulting with family members, concussion researchers, friends and current and former teammates, and studying what is known about the relationship between football and neurodegenerative disease.

"I just honestly want to do what's best for my health," Borland told "Outside the Lines." "From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk."

Now it hurts.

Maybe the NFL will start taking this seriously, now. A big-time player just retired at age 24 because he thinks the game is too dangerous.

Can't be mad at the kid - he's doing what he thinks is right for him and his.

I'm surprised it was Borland - my money would have been on Eric Reid. He's probably next. :ninja:

• Like 1

At the rate the 49ers are retiring, they should change the name to the San Fransisco 62.5ers.

What is going on with that organization?

Wow.

That's a surprising and impressive decision for a 24 year-old.

Good for him.

At the rate the 49ers are retiring, they should change the name to the San Fransisco 62.5ers.

Implying this decision or Willis' decision has anything to do with the organization... :rolleyes:

Wow.

That's a surprising and impressive decision for a 24 year-old.

Good for him.

I wonder what is his financial situation. There are a lot of players that don't have a choice but to play. He might have already been well off before playing.

It really sucks for the Niners. They are out 2 DBs, 2 LBs, and a lineman on defense (if I am not missing anyone else), all of which where starters last year. They are plummeting to the bottom of their division quickly.

Foreseeable. The union (ie. established players wanting a larger slice of the pie) bargained to drive down and cap rookie salaries. The result? Teams get rookies at bargain prices, often sub-million a year for 4 to 5 years. They get these players and cut the higher priced (million plus) veterans who then get nothing. THEY bargained for that! Lack of foresight on their part. The flip side is these young players get paid so "little" that is not worth the risk. You get paid a mill or two and you'll probably risk it. $400k? Maybe not. This is what the union agreed to and young and old players alike feel the impact. The NFL doesn't care. They roll on making tax-free billions.

• Like 1

Impressive choice by Borland. Guy is a 3rd rd rookie, so it's not like he's a multimillionaire, not with only 1 year of experience in the league. He's doing this to give himself a higher quality of life in 10, 20, 30 years. And there's no way for the league to spin this as anything but what he's said he's doing.

Having all that money at his fingertips and still forgoing it? Pretty cool. Good for him.

Back to the on-the-field aspect of it, sucks for the Niners, but this might be a precursor of more to come across the league. This has nothing to do with the Niners and everything to do with a problem that the league has spent 20 years trying to shove under the rug.

• Like 2

They roll on making tax-free billions.

Tax free millions.

The vast majority of NFL revenues are passed from the NFL to the individual franchises, who are taxed, and about half of the original revenue is passed on to the players, who are also taxed.

The feds miss out on about 10 million a year, which, while not chump change, is a very small drop in the overall bucket.

Calling the NFL "tax free" is a misnomer used by the ignorant and those that don't care about facts.

All traces of the recently fearsome 49ers defense are disappearing before our eyes.

It has nothing to do with the organization.

Implying this decision or Willis' decision has anything to do with the organization... :rolleyes:

Roroco is nothing more than a troll who doesn't like the 9'ers, it is best to just ignore him.

This one stings, good young talent, tough loss. Impressed with his decision and wish nothing but the best for him.

Now it hurts.

Maybe the NFL will start taking this seriously, now. A big-time player just retired at age 24 because he thinks the game is too dangerous.

Can't be mad at the kid - he's doing what he thinks is right for him and his.

I'm surprised it was Borland - my money would have been on Eric Reid. He's probably next. :ninja:

I am not sure that they will take this seriously. It is not guys like Borland who will be remembered. It is the Seau's, Webster's and Campbell's of the world that people notice.

Borland may be one of the first steps in the over-reaction to concussions. I say "may" because no one knows at this point.

How is this not partially to do with the organization? If this was still a team with strong coaching and a team that was projected to be a contender, you would still get a retirement out of this bunch, but I doubt you would have had 3 people (two of which were a surprise) all retiring at this time. Plus, the Niners probably could have kept some of their free agents.

Unfortunately, they have been hit so bad this off season that those players that questioned playing now have easier decisions to make.

All that said... I think he is a smart kid and doing the right thing. Apparently, his dad is a professor at Melbourne, so he is not an inner city type kid. That means he has options. I just feel bad for those kids that come up from nowhere and this is their only potential of real income. They either play with the risk to the health or they starve.

How is this not partially to do with the organization? If this was still a team with strong coaching and a team that was projected to be a contender, you would still get a retirement out of this bunch, but I doubt you would have had 3 people (two of which were a surprise) all retiring at this time. Plus, the Niners probably could have kept some of their free agents.

Unfortunately, they have been hit so bad this off season that those players that questioned playing now have easier decisions to make.

by that logic, shouldn't there be a slew of retirements coming from Saints players? Cap-bloated franchise in fire sale mode. There's no way they're winning much this year.

I get the fact that it's a dangerous job, but many jobs are. The rewards are huge compared to regular jobs. Hope he likes serving fries.

I get the fact that it's a dangerous job, but many jobs are. The rewards are huge compared to regular jobs. Hope he likes serving fries.

How many jobs require head trama as necessary?

Using this logic, shouldnt every raiders player since 2002 have retired their rookie year?

This is complete and utter drivel. You're like the RP of the Mange Bored, eh? Borland was always a risk.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/sources-chronic-shoulder-issues-made-teams-wary-borland

Some teams removed Borland from their draft boards due to concerns of a shortened NFL career because of chronic problems with both shoulders, according to multiple NFL sources. During his four-year career at Wisconsin, Borland underwent two surgeries on his left shoulder and one on his right shoulder.

Willis retired because of nagging injuries and Jesus. Justin Smith was always going to retire.

You're straight up talking out of your arse on Free Agency. This is how Trent Baalke works. He loves compensatory picks. He happily lets other teams overpay for 49ers Free Agents and scoops up Veterans that get cut (i.e. don't count in the comp picks algorithm) on one or two year deals. He builds through the draft. Every. Single. Year.

Do you remember 2013?

The 49ers let Dashon Goldson, Ricky Jean Francois, Isaac Sopoaga, Delanie Walker, Tedd Ginn Jr, and Leonard Davis get signed by other teams in Free Agency. They only signed Glenn Dorsey and Dan Skuta. The Chicken Littles came out, but almost all of those departures got big fat contracts and are no longer employeed by the teams that signed them. Glenn Dorsey is still doing a damn fine job on the 49ers Defensive Line. Dan Skuta over-performed, gave the 49ers two good seasons and this year he signed a big fat contract with another team - nets the 49ers a draft pick. That's just Baalke.

Frank Gore is a Colt because of money. If the 49ers had matched the Colts offer, he would still be a 49er. This logic applies to almost every Free Agent transaction made in the NFL.

Stop being so naive and dramatic. This is a business, not a Soap Opera.

Christ, what next? Bowman retires because of his knee and Wilhoite joins the French Foreign Legion?

Good for Borland if that's what he really wants. Sucks as a fan. My favorite player retires and his replacement follows at the ripe old age of 24.

• Like 1

Anyone saying they understand and respect this decision is fooling themselves. He JUST NOW realized there are long term health concerns? His whole college career and all the work he put in to make the nfl he never considered that? Cmon thats BS. You get paid big bucks as a tradeoff, everyone knows that. He will prob backtrack on this decision and play.

Hes white and not a ghetto hoodlum, he can do better than that. Not alot better, but better.

Christ, what next? Bowman retires because of his knee and Wilhoite joins the French Foreign Legion?.

You find some wood to knock on right now! :mad:

How many jobs require head trama as necessary?

Necessary? Not quite. Possible yes. And he's had a couple of concussions but being a pro football payer isn't even close to being the most dangerous job out there and they make a shitton more $$$ than most any other job.

Necessary? Not quite. Possible yes. And he's had a couple of concussions but being a pro football payer isn't even close to being the most dangerous job out there and they make a shitton more $$$ than most any other job.

His concussions were when he was an 8th grader playing soccer and when he was a sophomore in HS. Hardly getting hurt on the NFL job.

I think one of the primary points here is that he was already having symptoms that scared him.

He is a bright guy by most accounts, hard worker-obvious, with an education and probably has a network of contacts due to his college career and year in the NFL most of us would never have in a lifetime. I'm not sure why anybody would paint his decision in a negative light for him.

It might be the wrong choice for someone else but I don't understand questioning his choice.

• Like 1

I think one of the primary points here is that he was already having symptoms that scared him.

He is a bright guy by most accounts, hard worker-obvious, with an education and probably has a network of contacts due to his college career and year in the NFL most of us would never have in a lifetime. I'm not sure why anybody would paint his decision in a negative light for him.

It might be the wrong choice for someone else but I don't understand questioning his choice.

Except for the fact that he said he had no symptoms .

He also said he had concussion symptoms during training camp and didn't report them.

Maybe the issue scared him a bit more when he found out Willis was retiring.

Except for the fact that he said he had no symptoms .

You are right about this, my bad.

I misinterpreted what I read which was quick blurb to the effect that he was retiring due to concerns about the long term effects and because of concussions he had already incurred.

I think the rest of what I wrote applies and I'm still not surprised though it will be interesting to see his career path going forward, but clearly he said he is not having any current issues.

You are right about this, my bad.

I misinterpreted what I read which was quick blurb to the effect that he was retiring due to concerns about the long term effects and because of concussions he had already incurred.

I think the rest of what I wrote applies and I'm still not surprised though it will be interesting to see his career path going forward, but clearly he said he is not having any current issues.

To be fair, he's had two (?) concussions in his lifetime? I believe he also said he played through some symptoms in the PreSeason.

In addition to multiple shoulder surgeries and last year's season-ending ankle injury.

His parents also recently came out and said that they, as a family, decided to use his rookie year to see if Borland could play, healthy, at the NFL level. Seems like Borland may have been halfway to this decision before he even completed his first NFL down. Some Niner fans are hoping the organization goes after his recent roster bonus since retirement was premeditated. On paper that's a valid idea, but man...there's no way the press works out on that one. Don't try it! :lol:

A linebacker who doesn't get hit in head every Sunday? Everyone's high risk job is totally their choice. He tapped out who cares. He is not required to work as a football player just cause he is good at it

A linebacker who doesn't get hit in head every Sunday? Everyone's high risk job is totally their choice. He tapped out who cares. He is not required to work as a football player just cause he is good at it

Exactly. He can quit for whatever reason he wants to.

Interesting article on Profootballtalk.com about a player who walked away from the game after a very short career. This guy was a WR who caught a TD in the title game in 1959 and before the '61 season, called it quits over $250. He wanted an extra $250 for the season and the Colts would not give it to him, so he quit and went home.

That WR is/was Jerry Richardson, owner of the Panthers. At least for Richardson, it worked out.

Exactly. He can quit for whatever reason he wants to.

Interesting article on Profootballtalk.com about a player who walked away from the game after a very short career. This guy was a WR who caught a TD in the title game in 1959 and before the '61 season, called it quits over $250. He wanted an extra $250 for the season and the Colts would not give it to him, so he quit and went home.

That WR is/was Jerry Richardson, owner of the Panthers. At least for Richardson, it worked out.

Jerry Richardson is one of my favorite people in the NFL yet, until now, I hadn't realized that he had actually played the game too. I only know of him as one of the best owners in pro sports. Those were the Colts teams of the Johnny Unitas era.... long before my time but let's just say since I'm familiar with the stories of Jerry Richardson's quarterback's career, I can get a sense of his as well.

Your comment was 'head trama' not get hit in the head. He's wearing a focking helmet. He's a poosay, no wait, he's a broke poosay.

Your comment was 'head trama' not get hit in the head. He's wearing a focking helmet. He's a poosay, no wait, he's a broke poosay.

Helmets do not protect head trama or there would be none . Have you ever played football. I see you haven't. Helmet just protects your skull from getting crushed but does little to keep the constant rattling of brain inside the skull. I had a headache after every practice let alone an nfl game

FYI you don't even have to get hit in the head to get a concussion. If you are hit hard enough your brain hitting inside of skull which FYI is how a concussion occurs.

• Like 2