Sign in to follow this  
edjr

1 year ago today - The world lost one of it's greatest talents - RIP Prince

Skip to 3:30

:wub:

And his number of hit songs in the past year was exactly the same as the number of hit songs he had in each of the previous 20 years.

Ok, I kid. The guy was definitely in the top ten most talented musicians in my lifetime. When he and Michael Jackson were at their peaks, music was the best it ever was.

Thank God it's been a year and they have stopped with the pity play on the radio over and over and over.

We get it, he's dead. Let's move on.

Thank God it's been a year and they have stopped with the pity play on the radio over and over and over.

We get it, he's dead. Let's move on.

Yet another person who wasted their life away with prescription drugs. :thumbsdown:

I liked Prince, but I never really saw the wow factor many got from him.. I'm not a musician so maybe that had something to do with it.

And, if you OD by your own hand - I've no sympathy for ya.

I liked Prince, but I never really saw the wow factor many got from him.. I'm not a musician so maybe that had something to do with it.

And, if you OD by your own hand - I've no sympathy for ya.

don't think anyone wants or is looking for sympathy

When Prince was getting started, at 17, he sang, produced and played all the instruments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AdHfkOgcBE&t=1097s

don't think anyone wants or is looking for sympathy

Sure they are, least some are. I know a couple of friends who were miffed, practically offended, by my nonchalant stance over his overdosing... Sorry - he did it to himself. I can appreciate his talent and not feel sorry for him or think it was tragic at the same time.

Sure they are, least some are. I know a couple of friends who were miffed, practically offended, by my nonchalant stance over his overdosing... Sorry - he did it to himself. I can appreciate his talent and not feel sorry for him or think it was tragic at the same time.

In Prince's case, he became addicted to painkillers he was taking due to a chronic bad hip. I don't think he's your typical rock n roll druggie. I mean, he certainly was intelligent enough to recognize where things were headed and he should have sought out help. But I'm not negatively judging the guy on how he dies. Michael Jackson died the same way, practically.

In Prince's case, he became addicted to painkillers he was taking due to a chronic bad hip. I don't think he's your typical rock n roll druggie. I mean, he certainly was intelligent enough to recognize where things were headed and he should have sought out help. But I'm not negatively judging the guy on how he dies. Michael Jackson died the same way, practically.

Oh for sure.. I don't look at him as a p.o.s. or anything like that.. I feel bad for his family and I feel bad for those who financially depended on his employment. But I don't feel sad for Prince like many of my musician friends do.

I feel bad for me. I did get to see him in concert a few years back, but that's not enough.

That's good sh!t right there..

I always felt his guitar playing was underrated. Or is that just me. He was a fantastic guitarist but you never heard much about that

I always felt his guitar playing was underrated. Or is that just me. He was a fantastic guitarist but you never heard much about that

too much talent spread around in different areas... could have been an all time great if he was simply known as a guitarist

too much talent spread around in different areas... could have been an all time great if he was simply known as a guitarist

back when Purple Rain came out, 1984/85 I was saying Prince was better than Eddie Van Halen.

All the little sheep just laughed. They didn't know real talent.

Then why were the prescriptions in someone else's name ?

I still remember an interview that Eddie Van Halen was giving back in the 80's and he was asked who the best guitarist in the world was. The interviewer was probably expecting to hear Eric Clapton or Joe Satriani or someone like that. Van Halen quickly said "Prince".

Then why were the prescriptions in someone else's name ?

His doctor probably wasn't giving him the amount he wanted so he paid someone else to go to a doctor and complain about pain. Just guessing, but thqat makes sense. You have a better theory?

I still remember an interview that Eddie Van Halen was giving back in the 80's and he was asked who the best guitarist in the world was. The interviewer was probably expecting to hear Eric Clapton or Joe Satriani or someone like that. Van Halen quickly said "Prince".

Wow..thats pretty high praise

At 47, I'm just now getting into Zepplin.. I've been watching a few documentaries on them - and I must say, I'm sort of fascinated.. I don't know anything about playing guitar - but wow, Jimmy Paige was insane back then.. Where do musicians put him on the all time list?

Yeah, I think that's part of the "wow" factor that Cruzer isn't getting. Watch that video and then think about the fact that he wasn't even really thought of as a pure "guitarist" necessarily as much as a singer and all-around musician. Most guys who play like that do nothing but play guitar.

At 47, I'm just now getting into Zepplin.. I've been watching a few documentaries on them - and I must say, I'm sort of fascinated.. I don't know anything about playing guitar - but wow, Jimmy Paige was insane back then.. Where do musicians put him on the all time list?

Very well respected guitarist. Everyone's opinion's is different on these type of lists, but he certainly appears on most.

His doctor probably wasn't giving him the amount he wanted so he paid someone else to go to a doctor and complain about pain. Just guessing, but thqat makes sense. You have a better theory?

Yeah, he was simply a drug addict.

Yeah, he was simply a drug addict.

Yes, addicted to pain pills. No sh1t genius.

back when Purple Rain came out, 1984/85 I was saying Prince was better than Eddie Van Halen.

All the little sheep just laughed. They didn't know real talent.

You're out of your mind.

Prince was a good guitarist.

He played mostly blues based stuff, which is the easiest to master, but not technically difficult. He did play with a lot of style and soul, which is important.

Along those same lines, Hendrix, SRV and several others were way better guitarists, but Prince's songs, on the whole were much better.

As a guitarist, EVH is in another world compared to all of them.

I feel bad for me. I did get to see him in concert a few years back, but that's not enough.

Could you really SEE him or did the 5 ft tall guy in front of you block him from view?

It's just a fantasy. It's not the real thing. Sometimes a fantasy is all you need.

what's that have to do with Eddie Van Halen?

Because it's an urban myth that ANYONE ever said it.

It's like the rumor about Rod Stewart having his stomach pumped cuz he swallowed too much jizz.

I heard the same rumor about Elton John and Freddie Mercury.

Newbie is just making sh!t up about an interview that never occurred because he read this myth somewhere.

From the snopes article:

"Other versions of the same quote have long circulated involving different musicians"

Because it's an urban myth that ANYONE ever said it.

It's like the rumor about Rod Stewart having his stomach pumped cuz he swallowed too much jizz.

Newbie is just making sh!t up about an interview that never occurred because he read this myth somewhere.

From the snopes article:

"Other versions of the same quote have long circulated involving different musicians"

But Newbie said he actually watched it. What a loser.

which was the better gay?

PRINCE WAS THE GREATEST GUITAR PLAYER IN THE WORLD

http://nerdist.com/prince-was-the-greatest-guitar-player-in-the-world/

At a recent Pearl Jam concert, on the day it was announced that Prince had passed away, Eddie Vedder told the crowd, “Prince was probably the greatest guitar player we’ve ever seen.” He certainly is not alone in this belief, as anybody who plays guitar is likely to tell you. Prince was the best. Yes, he was an unparalleled songwriter, pop star, and artist, but the dude could shred better than anyone on the planet.
Prince didn’t talk about his guitar playing much. While most prominent guitar players grace the cover of magazines holding their favorite six strings and often release a signature model or two, Prince seemed content to just rip. He had one-of-a-kind, near priceless instruments built and was known for keeping the specs under tight wraps. His guitars were extensions of his personality, of his image and his sound.
In a 1994 interview with Guitar World, Prince said something that made sense to everyone who ever watched him play: “I always wanted to be thought of as a guitarist.” In fact, that’s where he started, playing guitar on Minneapolis Genius – The Historic 1977 Recordings, and by all accounts helping write a number of the songs. In those early days, before he could command custom-made guitars, Prince favored Fenders, particularly Telecasters. Even in his later years, he was often seen playing Telecaster, wailing away on funky jams like “Chelsea Rodgers.”
In that same Guitar World article, the interviewer asked Prince’s guitar technician, Zeke Clark, about Prince’s skills as a player. It’s important to note that Clark had worked for guys like Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Page, so it’s safe to say he was an authority on this sort of thing. Clark’s response, as quoted in Guitar World, was “The Boss just has it in his blood. He won’t sit and rehearse a lot. He’ll just pick up that guitar up and it’s like magic.”
Magic is a good word to describe it. There was a casual finesse to his playing. Prince was big, bold, and flamboyant in his personal style and showmanship, but as a guitar player he was measured and smooth. He never strayed too far from the song never let his noodling overtake the melody. The guitar was an extension of him, something he was rarely seen performing without.
You could fall down an endless rabbit hole trying to research Prince’s gear. His love of custom guitars, rigs, and pedals allowed him to create one-of-a-kind sounds and tones. At one time, he played a rack designed by Zeke Clark that could switch between a Soldano Caswell preamp and a mounted 100-watt Soldano head when he wanted to really rock. He even began mixing himself from the stage, apparently unhappy with the way that sound guys were capturing his guitar tones.
Like everything about Prince, his guitar playing is hard to peg down into one category. He drew from funk, rock, and blues, combining and shifting, mixing and matching, sometimes in the same song. His skills as a guitar player were unparalleled. The guy could shred with the best of them and shred he did.
In his later days, nearly everything he played was built just for him. We’re not just talking about the shape and look, but every inch of these guitars were designed for Prince. He liked rosewood, so they almost always had rosewood. He liked the feel of and tone of Fenders, but had customer necks that had a lot in common with a Les Paul. Hell, take a look at one of the last guitars he ordered. It’s a gold and purple monster that looks and most certainly plays like nothing we’ve ever seen.
Simply put, Prince was the greatest guitar player in the world. He played like nobody else and he did it with a casual grace and a sense of style and sensuality. In that same Guitar World interview, he is asked what his idea of the ultimate guitar tone is. His response, in perfect Prince fashion: “A woman in climax.” That’s freaking rock n’ roll, man, any way you cut it.

Guess Eddie Vedder and Eddie Van Halen's guitar tek don't know sh1t .