Sign in to follow this  
RoadLizard

Super Bowl 48 in the NorthEast? LOUSY idea....

I cant believe the NFL is actually going to play a Super Bowl in effing NY next season. Whos fockhead idea was that? Cuomo? Its the biggest game on the biggest stage with the best players. Cant we just let them play? People want to see the stars shine, not slip and slide all obver the place, dumbing the game down to neanderthal levels. Well, Im sure ther are a few "old timers" who cant get over the stupid ice bowl and want to see this crap. Sorry, it aint 1967 anymore and noone wants this. You take the talent away when you have them play on a skating rink. DUH?

Plus, isnt the SB supposed to a NEUTRAL field & site? Not very neutral if a North coast team faces a West cost team, is it? What the hell is that all about? Thats a HUGE advantage for the NE team and players who play in the cold and snow more often.

Focking Roger Goddell - adding to his legacy and trying desperately to be an even worse commissioner than Gary Bettman of the NHL. Unbelievable. :(

By your retarded logic, I guess a game in Florida or Arizona isn't a neutral site either? Teams might have to travel :wacko:

By your retarded logic, I guess a game in Florida or Arizona isn't a neutral site either? Teams might have to travel :wacko:

Nothing to do with travel. Its called a neutral site because homefield advantage doesnt apply which mostly means weather. Not hard to "get", Edward.

I cant believe the NFL is actually going to play a Super Bowl in effing NY next season. Whos fockhead idea was that? Cuomo? Its the biggest game on the biggest stage with the best players. Cant we just let them play? People want to see the stars shine, not slip and slide all obver the place, dumbing the game down to neanderthal levels. Well, Im sure ther are a few "old timers" who cant get over the stupid ice bowl and want to see this crap. Sorry, it aint 1967 anymore and noone wants this. You take the talent away when you have them play on a skating rink. DUH?

Plus, isnt the SB supposed to a NEUTRAL field & site? Not very neutral if a North coast team faces a West cost team, is it? What the hell is that all about? Thats a HUGE advantage for the NE team and players who play in the cold and snow more often.

Focking Roger Goddell - adding to his legacy and trying desperately to be an even worse commissioner than Gary Bettman of the NHL. Unbelievable. :(

First of all, "noone" is not a word. I'm going to make that my signature. Second, the game is going to be played in NJ not NY. Third, if a cold weather game is an advantage for a cold weather team, isn't a dome an advantage for a dome team? What if the Saints made it to the Super Bowl this year, wouldn't playing in New Orleans be an advantage for them? Every Super Bowl location has the opportunity to be an advantage for a certain team(s). Fourth, I agree with you that they shouldn't have cold weather Super Bowls, not because it's an advantage for a northern team but because the outcome of the game should be determined by the players' talent and not other factors such as single digit temperatures or 40 mph winds. I never bought the logic that weather is a factor in other playoff games so it's OK for it to be a factor in the big game. The Super Bowl is unlike any other game.

Nothing to do with travel. Its called a neutral site because homefield advantage doesnt apply which mostly means weather. Not hard to "get", Edward.

so if the game is in florida or arizona, it's not neutral either. :wacko:

please tell me a neutral site the NFL has used for the super bowl in the last 20 years?

Edjr is spot on. If a warm weather team plays a cold weather team its apparantly neutrsl to play the game in a warm weather stadium? That makes no sense

I gotta admit. I was suprised when they announced the Super Bowl was going to be in New York a few years back. It will be interesting to see what happens if a major cold front or snow storm moves in. I'm sure by having the "Big Game" in the biggest city it will bring in huge dollars for the NFL. I remember when the Bears and Colts(I think) played in a rain storm a few years ago and that was in a warm weather climate. I guess if they decide who goes to the Super Bowl in places like Foxboro and San Francisco in January then what difference does it make playing in New York 2 weeks later. My two cents. :wave:

I'm surprised that this isn't being mentioned more:

Teams don't construct themselves to be a "bad-weather" team, or a "cold-weather" team. Teams construct themselves to be a pass-oriented team, or a defensive-minded team. And they certainly don't do it based on their team's location. Look at the Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots, and New York Giants - 3 of the coldest franchises in the league, yet they are perennially pass-oriented offenses.

The Super Bowl should be a clash between two teams, 53 players, a handful of coaches, and their respective schemes and philosophies. The Super Bowl should be a venue that allows both teams equal opportunity to deploy, execute, and produce their respective strategies.

That's the problem with a NY Super Bowl. If the San Francisco 49ers (a ground-and-pound, defensive oriented team) faced the New England Patriots (an offensive juggernaut, passing-oriented team), I want to see who out-executes who. Who out-coaches who. Who out-schemes who.

I don't want the 49ers to have a significant edge in that game because its 20 degrees, snowing, and 30mph winds. Every team has an opportunity to execute their strategy in a dome or in a warm-weather stadium. Bad weather stadiums take away that opportunity for some teams, and I just don't see how that's fair.

Does anyone know what percentage of the tickets are available for the season ticket holders of the hosting venue? Giants and Jets fans are screwed in that they'll have to split that pot.

Last 2 winters have been like focking early spring at least in Chicago. Hell it might end up 50 degree's in NY.

I hope it snows or the field is all Ice -- that would be great. Suck ass for the 1/2 time performer though

Speaking as a fan of the game who went to SB XXVI in Minneapolis I like this idea a lot better than a cold city with a dome.It was -10 focking degrees that day outside and once inside you either kept your coats on and were uncomfortable as hell or did your best to sit on them and be uncomfortable as hell. :mad:

Does anyone know what percentage of the tickets are available for the season ticket holders of the hosting venue? Giants and Jets fans are screwed in that they'll have to split that pot.

The host team receives 5 percent of available tickets while the remaining 29 teams not participating in the Super Bowl each receive 1.2 percent. So I'm guessing they'll split the home team and non-participating team share.

I want to see who out-executes who. Who out-coaches who. Who out-schemes who.

and you can see this regardless of where the game is being held. a true championship team should be able to do it all. not that they all can but why should it be dictated that the game be played in a warm weather, or indoor venue when all the games leading up to it are played in their respective elements?

if you built your team to be pass oriented, you should be able to pass the ball in all conditions. Actually, its a bit of a misconception that poor weather such as rain or snow hurts the passing game. Wind, yes but rain and snow can actually make it harder for DB's to stay with their guys.

i was surprised when they awarded the SB to new york but only because of the corporate side of things. i would just assume it makes more financial sense to hold the game in a warmer climate. allows for more activities outside the game... i guess the allure of the NY market would offset any potential negative of extreme cold and / or snow.

Edjr is spot on. If a warm weather team plays a cold weather team its apparantly neutrsl to play the game in a warm weather stadium? That makes no sense

If you were talking about a game in September/October then you have a point. But a warm weather game in February is NOT an advantage like that of a cold weather team playing in frigid conditions. It is essentially neutral.

We still haven't had a "home" team play in the SB... so is there much to debate?

While I love a snow game, I want to see this game played in good weather. A February game in NJ? The game could work; the day probably turns out OK. But, imagine what could happen? How about a blizzard the day of the game that keeps the stadium virtually empty? Don't forget the huge TV audience. A good percentage of those viewers might not be thrilled by a 3-0 game.

Last 2 winters have been like focking early spring at least in Chicago. Hell it might end up 50 degree's in NY.

I hope it snows or the field is all Ice -- that would be great. Suck ass for the 1/2 time performer though

Last year, a couple of the days at Super Bowl village in Indy, I was down to a long sleeve tshirt.

First of all, "noone" is not a word. I'm going to make that my signature. Second, the game is going to be played in NJ not NY. Third, if a cold weather game is an advantage for a cold weather team, isn't a dome an advantage for a dome team? What if the Saints made it to the Super Bowl this year, wouldn't playing in New Orleans be an advantage for them? Every Super Bowl location has the opportunity to be an advantage for a certain team(s). Fourth, I agree with you that they shouldn't have cold weather Super Bowls, not because it's an advantage for a northern team but because the outcome of the game should be determined by the players' talent and not other factors such as single digit temperatures or 40 mph winds. I never bought the logic that weather is a factor in other playoff games so it's OK for it to be a factor in the big game. The Super Bowl is unlike any other game.

Yes, make NOONE in your sig, Larry. That'll do. You seem to get it though so you are OK with me.

If you were talking about a game in September/October then you have a point. But a warm weather game in February is NOT an advantage like that of a cold weather team playing in frigid conditions. It is essentially neutral.

We still haven't had a "home" team play in the SB... so is there much to debate?

While I love a snow game, I want to see this game played in good weather. A February game in NJ? The game could work; the day probably turns out OK. But, imagine what could happen? How about a blizzard the day of the game that keeps the stadium virtually empty? Don't forget the huge TV audience. A good percentage of those viewers might not be thrilled by a 3-0 game.

Absolutely correct. Playing in the snow is fun for a backyard game, not the biggest game of the year at the professional level. As someone else here pointed out: we want to see the players play and win or lose the game strictly on merit and capability. Period.

There are a couple of problems with this:

1. The venue is not a SB venue. Cold weather cities should not be allowed to host the SB. You want the teams to decide the game, not the weather or elements.

2. The logistics are not that good in NJ. For those who go, there is so much more to it than just the game. If you have to deal with snow and p!ss-poor weather for several days of a vacation, then it is going to lose its appeal. How many hotels are there in that area? Not many. Who wants to be flip-flopping back between the stadium and Manhattan, because that is what is going to happen.

The SB should be played in a handful of places that are rotated, with the key criteria being access (flights), hotels, weather, activities:

- New Orleans - dome, plenty of hotels and things to do

- Miami - good weather, good stadium, plenty of things to do

- San Diego - good weather, good stadium, plenty of things to do

- Phoenix - good weather, good stadium, plenty of things to do. A little spread out, but it works.

- Tampa - borderline venue, but they have good logistics

There are several others that people will want to consider, but shouldn't be:

- Houston - umm, fock no. Too spread out of an area, not enough fun things

- Jacksonville - worse than Houston. No hotels.

- Dallas - if they can't keep the ice off the roads and don't know how to deal with it, they are better off hosting the Final Four

- San Fran - no thanks. Not warm enough

- Atlanta - see San Fran and Dallas comments

- Indy - nice people and all, but not warm enough

There may be more.

You get a new stadium, you pretty much get a Superbowl. You Nancys should get the sand out of your vagies and deal with it. :banana:

- Indy - nice people and all, but not warm enough

There may be more.

Best thing Indy had to offer was how centrally located everything is. Within a few blocks walk, you could get to everything...Super Bowl village, NFL Experience, restaurants, hotels, downtown, etc.

so if the game is in florida or arizona, it's not neutral either. :wacko:

please tell me a neutral site the NFL has used for the super bowl in the last 20 years?

1993. Rose Bowl, Pasadena, California. :music_guitarred:

You get a new stadium, you pretty much get a Superbowl. You Nancys should get the sand out of your vagies and deal with it. :banana:

What about Chicago?

What about all the other games in the post season? Should we move all those games to warm climate/domes? NO!

This year there were post season games in:

Baltimore

Houston - dome

Green Bay

Washington

Denver

New England x2

San Francisco

Atlanta x2 - dome

What about all the other games in the post season? Should we move all those games to warm climate/domes? NO!

This year there were post season games in:

Baltimore

Houston - dome

Green Bay

Washington

Denver

New England x2

San Francisco

Atlanta x2 - dome

Having gone to some of those, it is not a good idea. Also, this entails lots of people traveling to said stadiums. Most of the places mentioned are poorly suited to house tourists in those numbers.

I should have been more clear but didn't want to write a novel on my phone. I'm not talking about tourism. I'm referring to the level playing field for both teams. There is no level playing field for any of the other post season games, so why does the OP think that the super bowl should be a level playing field?

Damion Woody said it the best IMO

Super Bowl is not a game ... It's an event. So events should be held in warm weather places so all can come and watch

I should have been more clear but didn't want to write a novel on my phone. I'm not talking about tourism. I'm referring to the level playing field for both teams. There is no level playing field for any of the other post season games, so why does the OP think that the super bowl should be a level playing field?

Really? The other games are based on seeding which was earned in the regular season. The SB is a battle of conference championships; two "equals".

Damion Woody said it the best IMO

Super Bowl is not a game ... It's an event. So events should be held in warm weather places so all can come and watch

Millions and millions of people manage to visit the northeast every single year. You act like they're gonna play the damn game in some isolated wasteland or something.

Millions and millions of people manage to visit the northeast every single year. You act like they're gonna play the damn game in some isolated wasteland or something.

Most of them wait until winter is over before they visit. ;)

Most of them wait until winter is over before they visit. ;)

I'd venture that places like NYC and Boston probably still draw decent numbers in the winter. Not everyone is afraid of a little cold weather.

I'd venture that places like NYC and Boston probably still draw decent numbers in the winter. Not everyone is afraid of a little cold weather.

:thumbsup:

I work up stairs from the copley mall offices. There is never a lack of tourists in the mall when I venture out to grab a bite.

:thumbsup:

I work up stairs from the copley mall offices. There is never a lack of tourists in the mall when I venture out to grab a bite.

... But it is NOTHING like it is when the weather is nice.

Cleveland.

Favorable weather, tons to do, and friendly... positive people.

Cincinnati deserves honorable mention.

Good one :lol: :doublethumbsup:

I'm sure the field will be tarped and heated until close to game time.

Stop whining like a bunch of phags.

The biggest city should be able to host the biggest event