Sign in to follow this  
OldMaid

Recommend a Good Book

I typically like: horror, suspense, thrillers and mysteries. The last three decent books I've read were all by Gillian Flynn. I tried to start the Dexter series, but only got through the first one. Not as good as the show IMO. I've already read everything from Stephen King and Clive Barker, so those are out, and I'm not partial to Dean Koontz.

Go!

If you like Stephen King (I love most of his stuff), then you'll like "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. I just finished reading it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some reviewers have compared it to The Stand, and that's a fair comparison; not quite as good, but it's that type of sweeping storyline. Also, it's the first bookin a trilogy. The second one came out this past year, called "The Twelve". Picking it up tomorrow. :thumbsup:

You prefer the Good News version?

I'd prefer a real answer. You're a smart guy, I'm sure you've read something more along the lines of what I was asking for.

I'd prefer a real answer. You're a smart guy, I'm sure you've read something more along the lines of what I was asking for.

Twilight books 1-7?

I'm actually a huge Koontz fan lol.

:doh:

That's one of those death bed confessions. :lol:

Actually, I have a bunch of Koontz stuff, but I've only read a couple. If I want a quick read in between thicker books, I'll pick one up. They're all only about a couple hundred pages or so.

I'm actually a huge Koontz fan lol.

:doh:

Meh, he's had a few good ones, but also a lot of really bad ones.

So, you got nothing?

Meh, he's had a few good ones, but also a lot of really bad ones.

So, you got nothing?

You base this on what? How many have you read?

Jackie Collins - Lady Boss

Also, anything from Vince Flynn. No offense to Jason Bourne, but Mitch Rapp could kick his ass.

A more interesting match up would be either Brandon Scofield or Vasili Taleniekov vs Mitch Rapp.

IMHO, Mitch would get his ass handed to him in the above match up.

If any of you tards know who Brandon or Vasili is, then I applaud you for reading quite possibly the bestest novel for its genre. :cheers:

I've read a lot of his early stuff. The first Odd Thomas novel and his Frankenstien series ( which was bloody awful). I also remember reading one that had something to do with a box, but I don't remember the title off hand.

I've read a lot of his early stuff. The first Odd Thomas novel and his Frankenstien series ( which was bloody awful). I also remember reading one that had something to do with a box, but I don't remember the title off hand.

That stuff isn't early.

Jackie Collins - Lady Boss

Also, anything from Vince Flynn. No offense to Jason Bourne, but Mitch Rapp could kick his ass.

A more interesting match up would be either Brandon Scofield or Vasili Taleniekov vs Mitch Rapp.

IMHO, Mitch would get his ass handed to him in the above match up.

If any of you tards know who Brandon or Vasili is, then I applaud you for reading quite possibly the bestest novel for its genre. :cheers:

I'm gonna have to pass on the Jackie Collins... I tried. I really did, but it wasn't my thing. I'll check out Vince Flynn, though. :thumbsup:

That stuff isn't early.

No, in addition to his earlier stuff those are the books I've read.

No, in addition to his earlier stuff those are the books I've read.

Why are you reading so much stuff from an Author you dislike? Especially from different eras of his career?

Why are you reading so much stuff from an Author you dislike? Especially from different eras of his career?

Because some of his early books were ok... the newer stuff-not so much.

Do you have any suggestions, or do you just want to be a pain in the butt? :unsure:

Do you have any suggestions, or do you just want to be a pain in the butt? :unsure:

I was just about to ask Strike to recommend a couple good ones. Chances are I may own them and have never gotten around to reading them.

The Frankenstein series is currently at something like 6 books. Did you read all of them?

The Frankenstein series is currently at something like 6 books. Did you read all of them?

Nope, just the first 4. And yes... I should have stopped at 1.

Edit: I guess it was only the first 3.

I was just about to ask Strike to recommend a couple good ones. Chances are I may own them and have never gotten around to reading them.

LOL. Actually I'm more into his early stuff. Haven't read as much of his later stuff. I have several myself I want to read that are newer and on the shelf. But the Frankenstein series is actually good. Don't know what old Hallway is talking about. At least the three initial books of the trilogy, especially the first two. Haven't read any of the newer Frankenstein books after the initial trilogy.

LOL. Actually I'm more into his early stuff. Haven't read as much of his later stuff. I have several myself I want to read that are newer and on the shelf. But the Frankenstein series is actually good. Don't know what old Hallway is talking about. At least the three initial books of the trilogy, especially the first two. Haven't read any of the newer Frankenstein books after the initial trilogy.

I read the first Frankenstein book and kind of lost interest. The first Koontz book I read was one that I just remembered, called Lightning. I think it came out in the 80s, but if I recall, I thought that one was pretty good.

It's all subjective, obviously. IMO, his good ones are alot more numerous than his bad ones.

Lightning was one of my first reads from him. Loved it.

Dark Rivers of the Heart is prolly my favorite that I can remember. Rocky the dog :wub:

See, OldMaid doesn't like his novels for 2 reasons:

1: She thinks he is a "paint by numbers" novelist, and lord knows that OM is far too sophisticated for something like that :nono:

2: She is kinda shallow with her fiction reading. (Insert Jackie Collins joke here)

:D

I read the first Frankenstein book and kind of lost interest. The first Koontz book I read was one that I just remembered, called Lightning. I think it came out in the 80s, but if I recall, I thought that one was pretty good.

Yeah, that's the era when I got in to him. I don't remember the storylines that well anymore but looking on my bookshelf I see Hideaway and Whispers, books that I remember as being pretty good.

If you like Stephen King (I love most of his stuff), then you'll like "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. I just finished reading it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some reviewers have compared it to The Stand, and that's a fair comparison; not quite as good, but it's that type of sweeping storyline. Also, it's the first bookin a trilogy. The second one came out this past year, called "The Twelve". Picking it up tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Read both of these... very good IMO. :thumbsup:

Am anxiously awaiting the third.

I'm gonna have to pass on the Jackie Collins... I tried. I really did, but it wasn't my thing. I'll check out Vince Flynn, though. :thumbsup:

I know you did. :)

Before you read anything from Vince Flynn, you have to read a book from the master.

The Matarese Circle

I swear I've read this book at least 10+ times.

2: She is kinda shallow with her fiction reading. (Insert Jackie Collins joke here)

I figured that out when she rejected my Bible suggestions.

I figured that out when she rejected my Bible suggestions.

I've read the Bible, thank you very much. I grew up with fanatical religious grandparents.

I've read the Bible, thank you very much. I grew up with fanatical religious grandparents.

Did they ever touch you in the naughty place? :o

Did your dad, brother or uncle ever tell you to be "wise in the rise of his Levi's"?

fap fap fap :wub:

D!ck Wolf the creator of the Law & Order television franchise just released his first book The Intercept and it sounds like something you might like.Sorry I can't recommend it as I just ordered it from Amazon myself.

I'll check out Vince Flynn, though. :thumbsup:

Be sure to check out plenty of reader reviews. Vince is awfully heavy-handed in his politics, and might really annoy any reader without the good sense to stay tuned into Fox News 24/7.

Be sure to check out plenty of reader reviews. Vince is awfully heavy-handed in his politics, and might really annoy any reader without the good sense to stay tuned into Fox News 24/7.

Righties don't read. Yet another fail. I am rooting for the next alias.

I liked the David Baldacci Camel Club series. Also WEB Griffin presidential agent series.

Both quick reads and well into 6 books or so each.

As far as Koontz I only read him in the 80's but remember Lightning and something like Watchers or The Watcher(s) - thought they were spectacular at the time.

Ian McEwan:

Black Dogs

Enduring Love

Amsterdam

Atonement

Saturday

Philip Roth:

Portnoy's Complaint

American Pastoral

The Human Stain

The Plot Against America

Dennis Lehane:

Mystic River

Shutter Island

The Given Day

Just a few of my favorite authors...

OldMaid, you would probably like McEwan and Lehane (assuming you haven't already read Lehane). They write in the mystery/thriller vein, but more high-brow than most of that stuff. Roth has a little bit of that flavor but might not be in your wheelhouse.

BTW I just finished reading American Psycho. Bret Easton Ellis is one sick motherfocker. The novel makes the movie look likes child's play. I don't really recommend it, it was so unsettling.

It's not the genre you normally like, but: Angle of Repose. I honestly think that was the best book I have ever read in my life. I could not put it down and it was brilliant and beautiful.