Sign in to follow this  
Loaded Box

Early Rookie WR & TE Fantasy Rankings

We recently finished part two of our rookie fantasy football rankings with this episode focusing on WR's and TE's. As with the QB's and RB's from last week, the lists below are those who will be drafted/potential waiver-wire additions as the year goes on, but I was just curious to see how everyone else was ranking these positions.

Our podcast is found in the signature in case you want to hear the reasons behind the rankings as well. I look forward to seeing everyone's early rankings!

WR: 1. C. Davis (Tenn) 2. M. Williams (LAC) 3. J. Ross (Cin) 4. Z. Jones (Buf) 5. C. Kupp (LAR) 6. C. Samuel (Car) 7. A. Stewart (NYJ) 8. J. Smith-Schuster 9. C. Henderson (Den) 10. T. Taylor (Tenn) 11. C. Godwin (TB)

TE: 1. O. Howard (TB) 2. E. Engram (NYG) 3. D. Njoku (Cle) 4. J. Leggett (NYJ) 5. A. Shaheen (Chi) 6. J. Butt (Den)

I like the first 2 WRs as potential WR1s but maybe not quite this year. They should be solid starters though. Both are great picks for dynasty leagues.

John Ross in Cincy is a good prospect as well as a deep threat. If he finds a niche in the offense he could be the best this season of the class. Over the long run I see him as a solid WR2.

The rest are hit or miss based mostly on playing time. The talent is deep for dynasty league sleepers.

For the TEs the top 3 are potentially strong TE1 candidates. I would say Howard and Engram are slightly ahead of Njoku due to their stable QB situations. Any one or more of these 3 could turn into a guy you can put in your line up and not worry about. Outside of the top 3 I see about average TE talent. Mainly waiver wire pick ups. It's extra difficult judging rookie TEs because the difference between a good TE and a bad one is so small. A top 5 TE and a guy sitting on waivers is only about 200-300 yards and 3-4 TDs. Just being stuck low on the depth chart at the start of the season can cause that.

• Like 1

Wow this is a very good post , thank you.

I agree with polecatt that M Williams and C Davis could turn into good wr1. So in a keeper league those two would be my first two picks.

But I don't play in any keeper leagues, so for redraft.

M Williams he has a very good QB and he's a very good player and im not so sure I trust Allen to stay healthy.

C Davis I think can be come the Titans wr1,no knock on R Matthews I just don't see him as a wr1.

Ross is the most interesting to me this season, if he can stay healthy I like his potential with A Green on the other side. He just might be the one I'm going to target based on draft value.

C Kupp I like his chances of being the Rams Wr1.

Te.

I like Njoku number one for this season, I think he will be the week one starter and go to te on the Browns.

Howard/Engram both have good landing spots, but I'm not sure how much their respected teams will need to lean on them this season.

I think Brate did a good job last season and I still see him being ahead of Howard when the season starts. Just based on experience.

Rookie TE's seem to start out a little slow in the NFL.

• Like 1

Keep Robert Davis (wash) in the back of your head also.

You can thank me later.

He's behind both Doctson and Crowder right now, do you think he can pass one of them up and become a wr3 on the Redskins ?

They got Terrelle Pryor at WR too.

Yeah I wasn't thinking about T Pryor I have him listed as The Redskins Wr1.

So I was wondering if Kopy had a thought about him taking over the third Wr postion over either Crowder or Doctson.

Sounds like Doctson as been looking real good so far.

They have some decent options but the roles are yet to be defined really.

Same at RB. Both spots are waiting for someone to take off.

I think that the Redskins Rb situation is going to a RBBC the whole season, unless one of them gets hurt.

Wondering if Thompson might not be the better pickup in ppr leagues.

Wow this is a very good post , thank you.

I agree with polecatt that M Williams and C Davis could turn into good wr1. So in a keeper league those two would be my first two picks.

But I don't play in any keeper leagues, so for redraft.

M Williams he has a very good QB and he's a very good player and im not so sure I trust Allen to stay healthy.

C Davis I think can be come the Titans wr1,no knock on R Matthews I just don't see him as a wr1.

Ross is the most interesting to me this season, if he can stay healthy I like his potential with A Green on the other side. He just might be the one I'm going to target based on draft value.

C Kupp I like his chances of being the Rams Wr1.

Te.

I like Njoku number one for this season, I think he will be the week one starter and go to te on the Browns.

Howard/Engram both have good landing spots, but I'm not sure how much their respected teams will need to lean on them this season.

I think Brate did a good job last season and I still see him being ahead of Howard when the season starts. Just based on experience.

Rookie TE's seem to start out a little slow in the NFL.

I'm with you on John Ross because I think you'll get pretty solid production while his average draft position is in the 11th round compared to Davis (5th) and Williams (8th). Based on those ADP's, Ross is probably my favorite in terms of pure value

Yeah I wasn't thinking about T Pryor I have him listed as The Redskins Wr1.

So I was wondering if Kopy had a thought about him taking over the third Wr postion over either Crowder or Doctson.

Sounds like Doctson as been looking real good so far.

Davis was/is my wr sleeper going into the draft. I think he ended up in a great numbers situation also. Pryor only signed a 1 year deal, and I never thought highly of Doctson. I argued against taking him last year, and I stand by it. I like Crowder, but he's a different type of reciever and not really Davis' s cometition.

It's a dynasty, or deep keeper type stash more than a redraft type of hold for Davis.

Yeah just to be honest I dont know anything about the guy, sounds like you do so thanks for the insight much appreciated.

Davis was/is my wr sleeper going into the draft. I think he ended up in a great numbers situation also. Pryor only signed a 1 year deal, and I never thought highly of Doctson. I argued against taking him last year, and I stand by it. I like Crowder, but he's a different type of reciever and not really Davis' s cometition.

It's a dynasty, or deep keeper type stash more than a redraft type of hold for Davis.

Picked him up as an undrafted free agent in dynasty for a few Blind bucks. When I watch his film he reminds me of Julio, then I looked and that is the type of players scouts compare him to. I agree with you the Skins are not as well off in WRs as it appears.

Also picked up Sprinkle as undrafted FA. Those TE in front of him will be injured by midseason. I think he could be a top 10 or so TE in a couple years

I think that the Redskins Rb situation is going to a RBBC the whole season, unless one of them gets hurt.

Wondering if Thompson might not be the better pickup in ppr leagues.

Perrine is going to be the feature back. Thompson will be the 3rd down guy. Jones may get cut. Likely actually.

I'd like throw Doctson in to this thread as a rookie since he pretty much missed last year with injury. He could be good.

Perrine is going to be the feature back. Thompson will be the 3rd down guy. Jones may get cut. Likely actually.

I'd like throw Doctson in to this thread as a rookie since he pretty much missed last year with injury. He could be good.

Definitely interesting to see how Doctson, Corey Coleman and Laquon Treadwell factor into fantasy football this season. All can still basically be compared to this year's rookie class due to injury/limited action. We're thinking about doing second-year fantasy football options on our next episode, so I have some additional studying to do before I comment on where I see them fitting in!

I'm not sold that Perine will diffently be the rb1.

I think Kelley will still be in the mix.

I'm not sold that Perine will diffently be the rb1.

I think Kelley will still be in the mix.

Kelley was an UDFA. He's utterly pedestrian.

Personally I think he sucks and only got to play because Jones was awful and we cut Alfred Morris. I wouldn't mind if we signed someone else and cut Kelley. He's zero threat.

I'm not in any disagreement about what you said about Kelley.

But it's hard to find a true Rb1 on teams today, and I think this situation will be more of RBBC.

Now I'm on board with you about Perine being the better player, but I can see Kelley having a good size role in the running game.

I'm not in any disagreement about what you said about Kelley.

But it's hard to find a true Rb1 on teams today, and I think this situation will be more of RBBC.

Now I'm on board with you about Perine being the better player, but I can see Kelley having a good size role in the running game.

Nah. It will be Perrine and Thompson. Perrine will get 15-20 carries a game. That's as close to feature back as we get these days. Kelley is so mediocre he won't see the field much at all.