Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

Hockey's problem?

I can't see how you're having a problem following the puck then. My vision isnt close to what it once was and I have no issue.

Of course it's hard to follow the puck when your face is buried in ass

Also I didn't know hockey had a problem- here in NY the sport is well versed. Even my lowly beloved Icelanders.

Of course it's hard to follow the puck when your face is buried in ass

Or when you're already sloppy drunk and pissing your pants by 7:00 every night. Get help

I think it's a number of things obviously marketing is a big one.

The product on television is not very good. Where every other sport the television programming is almost better than actually going.

It's also a little bit of a niche sport. What I mean by that is you usually don't go play Pick-up Hockey. I mean you need a ton of equipment and you need rink time and as a kid you need someone to take you there.

Whereas football basketball and even baseball doesn't require very much equipment and you can usually play it with your neighborhood friends in someone's yard or driveway.

It definitely is a sport I wish I liked though. But I didn't grow up with it. The state of Iowa I'm not even sure if we even have any High School hockey teams?

I spent my childhood playing street hockey with ratty old sticks and tennis balls if we had a net, great, else tip over a bucket or something.

I've only watched one live game and some highlights on tv, but I think it is boring. Not enough scoring, like soccer on ice.

Exactly. Hoops has the same sorta back and forth action, but they score so much more often.

I love watching it in person. Can't stand watching it on TV. Very hard to follow the puck

more idiocy from the person that knows the least on the board about sports.

more idiocy from the person that knows the least on the board about sports.

Are you crying? You're like a pissy middle schooler. I destroyed your lunacy in the NBA thread and now you're following me around getting your tears all over my polo. :lol:

• Like 1

HD cable went a long way towards solving the 'follow the puck' issue. The glowing puck with the light trail was awful that one year they did it

HD cable went a long way towards solving the 'follow the puck' issue. The glowing puck with the light trail was awful that one year they did it

That's when Fox was in it's infancy and had won the NHL national coverage rights. Like Fox itself. Gimmick that was a debacle.

You know that's a great point about hd

Makes you think Newbie made it up or has a 25 inch tube TV. He is a confirmed liar after all

You know that's a great point about hd

Maybe I'll have to revisit it and watch a game. Always hated the fact that the only way I'd know a goal was scored was because I'd see the player's reaction. Rarely knew exactly what happened till the replay.

Playoff Hockey is the best "sports" product there is... and the reason it's so good is also the reason they can't market it like NFL, lemme' 'splain:

Hockey "play" doesn't stop easily - especially playoff hockey - it's back and forth at great speeds for long duration... and that means NO TV ADS!!!

so while that makes it great to watch, it also makes it harder for the NHL to generate ad revenue. So you end up with a great product that only appeals to cold region markets and can't bring it in fully with ad dollars.

Playoff Hockey is the best "sports" product there is... and the reason it's so good is also the reason they can't market it like NFL, lemme' 'splain:

Also because the hockey playoffs are so random with a lot of luck involved compared to the other sports...

Also because the hockey playoffs are so random with a lot of luck involved compared to the other sports...

Id disagree...7 game series sort of negates this supposed luck factor.

Better than the NBA where we knew at the start of the year who would be in the finals again.

I think its not luck to have a goalie get hot and help carry a team.

I think the marketing mentioned earlier is a big part of that.

I think this finals they will push a few things.

-Crowd in Nashville

-Crosby and Malkin (though...with them having won last year...will that be enough).

-Subban will be marketed heavily and probably should be. Charismatic...having a great postseason going up against team's number one lines and will likely be going up against Crosby and Malkin a lot.

-Or just the full Nashville D. All 4 have been really good which helps out Rinne. Not sure how marketable Rinne is on his own. But a great story none the less. 8th round pick...drafted after the scouts watched him warm up (because he was the backup to Backstrom on is Finnish club team).

-Wonder how much play they will give to the aspect of both teams having had issues not all that long ago. And Balsille tried to buy both of them with intent to move them to Canada.

Peter Lavliotte taking his second team to the Finals

Peter Lavliotte taking his second team to the Finals

3rd I believe.

Like hockey a lot. But they do have a marketing problem. Basketball is just more this generation.

Peenie hit the head on the nail. Hockey needs more bench clearing fights...like the good old days, see slapshot.

3rd I believe.

Yes. Totally knew he coached Cryers but forget the made it to the finals.

Hardcore hockey fans love the fighting but to casual sport fans it's a step away from WWE. Also most NHL hockey is so ugly with all the clutching and kicking the puck around etc. Get rid of the red line and goons and make it more like Olympic hockey which is a great sport.

Hardcore hockey fans love the fighting but to casual sport fans it's a step away from WWE. Also most NHL hockey is so ugly with all the clutching and kicking the puck around etc. Get rid of the red line and goons and make it more like Olympic hockey which is a great sport.

What would getting rid of the red line do? They already allow two-line passes...

Hockey has a problem? That's news to me...

This. Newbie can't follow the puck. :lol:

This. Newbie can't follow the puck. :lol:

Most people that are unable to follow the puck usually don't understand the game in the first place...

• Like 1

Well this is a common issue. Just look at what Fox tried.

No FOX Thought it was an issue but it wasn't and became a total failure - that glowing puck/image.

Most people that are unable to follow the puck usually don't understand the game in the first place...

Dumbasses

What would getting rid of the red line do? They already allow two-line passes...

Oh. Sorry I haven't watched hockey in 30 years.